The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Mr. Edward John Mee
Mr. Edward John Mee , Manager of the Otago Benevolent Institution Home, was born in County Cavan, Ireland, in 1854, and there received his education. He arrived at Port Chalmers in 1865, per ship “E. P. Bouverie.” For some time Mr. Mee followed agricultural pursuits on his farm in the neighbourhood of Oamaru. He joined the mounted police force in 1873, and served in Dunedin, Palmerston, and Lawrence. On leaving the force he joined the staff of the Dunedin lunatic asylum, subsequently becoming chief warder. Mr. Mee was afterwards warder in the Timaru hospital, and became surgical warder in the Dunedin hospital, where he remained for two years. He was appointed to the position he now holds in 1886. Mr. Mee was married in 1884 to a daughter of Mr. William Madams, of Goodwood, near Palmerston, and has three sons and two daughters.
Mr. and Mrs E. J. Mee.