The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Mr. David Ross
Mr. David Ross was elected in 1865 to the first Dunedin City Council, as a representative of Bell Ward, and held his seat until the 1st of August, 1866, when he retired. He was a Scotchman by birth, and an architect by profession, came to New Zealand from Victoria, and established a business in Dunedin. Mr. Ross built the Octagon Buildings, familiarly known as Ross's Buildings. He was architect for several of the public schools, and also the Union Steam Ship Company's handsome office in Dunedin. Mr. Ross subsequently went to Auckland, and thence to America and Japan. He died several years ago.