The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts]
Otago Central Railway . Pages 15–626. The Otago Central railway is now (March, 1905) open to Omakau, fourteen miles beyond Ida Valley, and 120 miles from Dunedin.
Mr. William Burnett . Page 123. Mr Burnett was returned unopposed to represent Bell Ward, on the Dunedin City Council, on the 8th of March, 1904, in succession to Mr Patrick Hally, who had been appointed Inspector of Factories and Inspector of Awards for Otago and Southland.
Mr. John Sisson St. George Cooper . Page 159. Mr Cooper resigned his position as chief mathematical and science master at the Otago Boys' High School in 1904, and is now (1905) in England.
Mr. Edward Aslin . Page 243. Mr Aslin. who is spoken of at page 243 as Managing Clerk of Mr John Wilkinson, is now (March, 1905) in practice on his own account, as a barrister and solicitor, at 13, Dowling Street, Dunedin.
G. Lintott and Co., Limited . Page 292. The offices of this firm are now at Crawford Street, Dunedin. The number of the firm's Post Office Box is 404, and the firm's bankers are the National Bank of New Zealand.
Messrs Paterson And Barr . Page 331. In July, 1903, Messrs Paterson and Barr, finding that their page 1104 premises in Princes and Richardson Streets were becoming too cramped up for their requirements, acquired the building lately occupied by Messrs Scoullar Brothers in Vogel and Cumberland Streets. These premises, where the wholesale business of the firm is now carried on, reach from street to street and occupy the whole of the Harbour Board section, measuring eighty feet by forty feet. The buildings consist of three floors, a concrete cellar, and an attic floor. Messrs Paterson and Barr have erected an iron yard and store for heavy goods on half a section adjoining, and in the main building there is a large hydraulic lift, which runs from the cellar to the top flat, and is constantly employed taking goods in and out. It is of the greatest advantage in the conduct of the business. The offices, which are large and convenient, are situated at the Vogel Street entrance. The stock has been very well arranged throughout, and everything done to enable a large business to be successfully conducted; but even these extensive premises will no doubt in time become too small for the firm's growing trade. The retail business in Princes Street is much improved by the extra accommodation, and is fitted up to date with all the appliances necessary for a first rate ironmongery business.
Mr. Thomas Brydone . Pages 334–335. Mr Brydone died in London on the 17th of June, 1904.
Mr. James Carlile Whiteman . Page 349. It was with his brother, not his father, that Mr Whiteman was sheepfarming for four or five years in the Wanganui district. Mr Whiteman is not only one of the principal shareholders, but also a director, of the New Zealand Acetylene Gas Lighting Company, Limited; and also a director and promoter of the Taipo Explosive Syndicate of New Zealand, Limited; the Victorian Explosive Syndicate, and a director of the Southland s.s. Company, Limited. These corrections and additions were received too late for insertion in Mr Whiteman's article at page 349.
Otago Early Settlers' Association . Pages 372–373. In 1904 the Otago Early Settlers' Association secured a central site in Moray Place for a hall; price, £1,425.