The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Aitken, Robert, Farmer, Morven. Mr. Aitken was born at Naseby, Otago, in 1868, and was brought up to country life at Rangitata. He began to work at the age of sixteen, and took up 163 acres under a lease in perpetuity, at Morven, in April, 1899. Mr. Aiken was married, in October, 1895, to a daughter of Mr. Richard Coles, of Orari.
Cox, photo. See page 1090.
Mr. And Mrs R. Aitken.
Barber, James, Farmer, Morven. Mr. Barber was born in Yorkshire, England, in July, 1835, and was brought up to country life in his native place. In 1861 he came to Auckland by the ship “Northumberland,” and shortly afterwards removed to Otago, where he found employment on a station for five years. Mr. Barber came to South Canterbury in 1867, and was for several years engaged on Mr. Buckley's Waihao station. In 1880 he acquired eighty acres of freehold land from the Government, and began farming on his own account. In 1862, when there were neither roads nor bridges, and every river had to be forded, Mr. Barber drove sheep overland from Nelson to Black's estate at Manuherikia, over the Dunstan in Central Otago; and in the early days he was employed in carting for the diggings for a number of years. He was for several years a member of the Morven school committee. Mr. Barber was married, in November, 1866, to a daughter of the late Mr. Simon Aitchison, of Stirlingshire, Scotland, and has six daughters and one son.
Beer, William, Farmer, Morven. Mr. Beer was born at Calme, Wiltshire, England, in 1857, and attended school in his native place. He had some experience in flour milling and afterwards turned his attention to farming, before coming to Port Chalmers by the ship “Christian McCausland,” in 1875. For two years he found employment in bush work in the Wakatipu district, and then returned to England, where he was for five years engaged in flour milling in partnership with his father, under the firm of Beer and Son. In 1881 he returned to New Zealand, and was twelve years miller for Messrs Wood Brothers, of Christchurch. In 1894 Mr. Beer became a partner in the firm of Collie Brothers, grain and produce merchants, Christchurch, and two years later, he sold his interest, and settled at Southbrook. In 1899 he took up 345 acres of the Waikakahi estate, under a lease in perpetuity. While a resident of Christchurch Mr. Beer served for six years as a member of the Heathcote Road Board, and is now chairman of the Waikakahi Settlers' Association. He is a member of the Farmers' Union, and was for a time chairman of the Morven branch. As a Forester he is a Past Chief Ranger of Court Star of Canterbury. Mr. Beer was married, in 1878, to a daughter of the late Mr. John Gough of Calme, Wiltshire, England, and has two sons and three daughters.
Mr. and Mrs W. Beer.
Campbell, James, Farmer, “Woodside,” Morven. Mr. Campbell was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, on the 21st of April, 1832. He passed his early years on his father's farm, which he subsequently held under lease. In 1862 he came to New Zealand in the ship “Pladda,” one of Peter Henderson's line. He purchased the first part of his present farm in 1876, when it was all in its native state. Since then it has been improved and added to, and now consists of 400 acres. The improvements include good buildings and fences, plantations, and a beautiful avenue up to the house. Mr. Campbell has served on the Waimate County Council, the school committee, and the Agricultural and Pastoral Association. He was married, in 1860, to Miss Muir, a farmer's daughter, from the parish of Stewarton, and has three sons and four daughters.
Crowe, M. E., Farmer, Morven. Mr. Crowe was born in County Galway, Ireland, page 1091 in 1841, and followed farming during his earlier years. He came to New Zealand in 1868 in the ship “Gainesborough,” and resided at Temuka for seven years. In 1875 he removed to the Lower Waihao, and took up land in partnership with his brother, whose interest he subsequently bought; he also increased his area to 1385 acres. Mr. Crowe's farm is all cultivated, and is divided into conveniently sized fields, on which he grazes sheep. He was married, in 1875, to Miss Burke, and has two sons and one daughter.
Duke, George, Farmer, Morven. Mr. Duke was born in County Sligo, Ireland, in 1842, and was brought up to country life by his father, who was a dairyman at Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland. In 1874 he came to Lyttelton by the ship “Geraldine Paget,” and settled in Christchurch, where he afterwards had charge of the Spreydon racing stud, owned by Mr. Griffiths. For two years he was dairy farming at Richmond, and was subsequently following the same occupation at St. Albans and Avonside, and conducted a large milk business throughout Christchurch city and suburbs for twenty-three years. In 1898 Mr. Duke sold his business and settled in South Canterbury, where he had previously rented 494 acres of the Waikakahi estate, on which he erected a commodious residence. For eight years he was connected with the Canterbury Trotting Club, and was a member of the committee and one of the stewards for about six years. On retiring from the club, when he settled in South Canterbury, he was elected a life member, and presented with a gold medal in recognition of his services. Mr. Duke was married, in 1865, to a daughter of Mr. Thomas Hearson, of Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, England, and has had one son and four daughters, of whom three daughters have died.
Gluyas, William, Farmer, Morven. Mr. Gluyas was born at Helston, Cornwall, England, in 1851. He attended school in his native place, and was brought up to the saddlery trade by his father; three of his brothers also following the same calling. Mr. Gluyas worked at his trade in the midland counties, and afterwards at Penzance, where he was employed by Mr. Ash, proprietor of a leading establishment. In 1877 Mr. Gluyas came to Lyttelton, by the ship “Cardigan Castle,” and settled in Christchurch, where he worked for five years for Mr. Howell and others. In 1887 he removed to Longbeach station, as saddler for Mr. John Grigg; with whom other members of the family also found employment. Shortly after the opening of the Waikakahi estate Mr. Gluyas acquired 193 acres under a lease in perpetuity, and his sons at once settled on the property; the family have resided on the farm since 1901 and considerable improvements have been effected. As a volunteer Mr. Gluyas served in the 7th Duke of Cornwall corps for three years. One of his sons was saddler-sergeant to the 8th New Zealand Contingent in South Africa and returned, unscathed, to settle at Otanaki in the North Island. Mr. Gluyas was married, in 1875, to a daughter of Mr. Henry James Richards of Prussia Cove, Mount's Bay, Cornwall, and has three sons and one daughter.
Mr. and Mrs W. Gluyas and Family.
Mr J. T. Hay.
Huston, Thomas, Farmer, Morven. Mr. Huston was born in June, 1872, in South Australia, and accompanied his parents to New Zealand in 1882. His education was completed at Southbridge, where he was brought up to country life, and afterwards farmed with his father and brothers. In 1899 Mr. Huston settled on his property of 110 3/4 acres, which he holds under a lease in perpetuity. He has erected a comfortable homestead, and made many improvements on his farm. Since 1900 he has been a member of the Waitaki church committee, Mr. Huston was married, in June, 1986, to a daughter of Mr. John Blackler, of Ashburton, and has one son and one daughter.
Lawlor, Maurice, Farmer, Green Hill Road, Morven, Mr. Lawlor was born in Timaru, in 1877, and was educated at Orari Bridge school. He was brought up to farming, and commenced on his own account on the opening of the Waikakahi settlement, in 1899. His farm, consists of 174 acres of beautiful undulating land, which he holds under a lease in perpetuity, and he carries on agriculture and sheepfarming. Mr. Lawlor has erected a substantial homestead and outbuildings on his property.
Marshall, George Edwin, Farmer, “Lowlands,” Morven. Mr. Marshall is a son of Mr. S. Marshall, and was born in 1875, at Woodend North Canterbury. He began to farm at Woodend in 1894, and on the opening up of the Waikakahi estate he acquired 240 acres of land on the perpetual lease system. He has erected a comfortable homestead thereon, and has greatly improved the property generally. For two years Mr. Marshall served in the Studholme Mounted Rifles. He is attached to the Woodend Lodge of Oddfellows, in which he has passed through the chairs. Mr. Marshall was married in May, 1901, to a daughter of the late Mr. H. Richards, of Waimate. His wife died in October, 1902.
Mr. G. E. Marshall.
McTaggart, John, Farmer and General Blacksmith, Morven. Mr. McTaggart is a son of the late Duncan McTaggart, and was born in 1844, in Kintyre, Scotland. He served his time to the blacksmith trade at Uddingston by Glasgow, and came to Port Chalmers, by the ship “Elizabeth Fleming” in 1867. Mr. McTaggart worked as a blacksmith at Taieri, Waitahuna, and Lawrence, and removed to Waimate in 1877. He started on his own account as a general blacksmith in 1890, and nine years later took up land at Waikakahi, Morven, under a lease in perpetuity. The smith's shop is under the management of his son, John McTaggart. Mr. McTaggart, senior, has been a member of the Order of Foresters since 1869. He has gone through the chairs of Court Star of Tuapeka, Lawrence, and of Court Foresters' Pride, Waimate. He is a member of the Morven school committee. Mr. McTaggart was married, in 1873, to a daughter of the late Mr. Donald McPhail, of Clinton, and has four sons and three daughters.
Mr. and Mrs J. McTaggart.
Mr. John McTaggart, who manages his father's blacksmith shop on Beach road, Morven, was born in 1875, at Lawrence. He learned his trade at Waimate, and has taken the management since his father settled at Morven. He has been a member of both the Waimate and the Studholme Mounted Rifles; and, as a member of the Masonic Order, is attached to Lodge St. Augustine, New Zealand Constitution.
Mr. A. McNaughton.
McAlister, Randal, Farmer, “Hymnavady,” Morven. Mr. McAlister was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in 1859. He came to Lyttelton in the ship “City of Dunedin” in 1876, and has always followed an outdoor life. After his arrival he found employment in Courtenay for a year, and was afterwards in the Leeston district for four years. Mr. McAlister farmed at Longbeach for nineteen years, and, in April, 1899, he settled on 196 acres at Morven, under a lease in perpetuity. Mr. McAlister has been a member of the Morven school committee since 1901. He was married, in 1880, to a daughter of the late Mr. James Allan, of County Armagh, Ireland. Mrs McAlister died in 1901, leaving four sons and two daughters.
Mr. R. McAlister and the late Mrs McAlister.
Menzies, Neil, Farmer, “Seaview,” Moryen. Mr. Menzies was born at Campbelltown, Argyleshire, Scotland, in 1863, and followed farming from his boyhood. He came to New Zealand in 1885 in the ship “Himalaya,” and was shepherding for Mr. Gerard at Double Hill station, for five years. Thereafter he removed to Cheviot, where he was shepherding for other eight years. In 1899 he took up 325 acres on Waikakahi, and has built a good dwellinghouse, fenced and ploughed much of his land, and planted numerous trees. The homestead is pleasantly situated, and commands a good view of the plains between the Waitaki and Waihao rivers, and of the Pacific Ocean. Mr. Menzies was married, in 1895, to Miss Fraser, and has one son and one daughter.
Mr. and Mrs N. Menzies.
O'Connor, John, Farmer, Green Hill Road, Morven. Mr. O'Connor was born in County Kerry, Ireland, in 1863. He arrived at Lyttelton in February, 1879, by the ship “Northern Monarch,” and worked in the Waimate district for nearly twenty years. About 1897 he began to farm on his own account near Waimate, and was afterwards at Studholme Junction. In 1899, Mr. O'Connor acquired property at Waikakahi settlement, where he holds 166 acres, under a lease in perpetuity. He was one of the founders of the Waikakahi school, and has held the position of chairman since the election of the first committee. Mr. O'Connor was a member of the Waimate Borough Council for about six years. In 1891 he married a daughter of the late Mr. William White, and has four sons and three daughters.
Samuels, Edward, Farmer, “Ocean View,” Broad Gully, Morven. Mr. Samuels was born in 1838, in London, where he was educated. He was brought up to the business of a contractor, and came out to Sydney in 1859. Two years later he crossed to New Zealand, and worked at his trade in Christchurch, until settling in the Morven district in 1899. His property consists of a grazing run of 916 acres, on which about 900 crossbred sheep are depastured, and in the season of 1903, 150 acres were in crop. In the early days he was a member of the Christchurch Volunteer Fire Brigade for several years. Mr. Samuels married a daughter of the late Mr. T. Carey, of Christchurch, and has a surviving family of two sons and six daughters.
Mr. E. Samuels.
Stewart, George, Farmer, Morven. Mr. Stewart was born in 1876, at Christchurch, and was educated there and at Orari and Pigeon Bay. He was brought up to country life, and afterwards gained experience in the Gisborne district. In 1899 he acquired, under a lease in perpetuity, 250 acres of land on the Waikakahi estate, and began to farm on his own account. At one time Mr. Stewart was connected with the Orari Lodge of the Independent Order of Good Templars. He was married in April, 1900, to a daughter of Mr. James Barker, an old settler in the Morven district.
Smith, D., Farmer, Morven. Mr. Smith was one of the successful applicants at the ballot of the Waikakahi settlement. His section is in Block IV., Lower Waihao, and fronts the river. It contains about one hundred acres, and is classed with the cream of the settlement. The whole of Mr. Smith's section has been cropped, and yielded sixty bushels of wheat per acre on the first furrow. When in grass it carried as many as ten sheep to the acre. Mr. Smith has already built on his land, and has had it divided into five paddocks, and has planted trees for shelter and for fruit. He has also placed most of it under crop, and has taken great care in the selection of his seeds. Mr. Smith was born at Seaton, in the parish of Trennant, near Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1844, and was brought up to be a stonemason. He followed his trade at Home, and also in New Zealand on the public works till he began farming. Mr. Smith came to New Zealand in 1874 in the ship “Varuna,” and settled at Waimate, where he took an active part in organising the Aeelimatisation Society, of which he is an energetic member, and did much to stock the river with fish. He was married to Miss Linton, in 1868, and has five sons and three daughters.
Scott, William, Farmer, Morven. Mr. Scott was born in Scotland in 1854, and was brought up to farming. He came out to Victoria in 1876, and five years later crossed to New Zealand, settled at Waihao, and worked for a good many years on the Waikakahi estate. Mr. Scott took up 250 acres of lease-hold land, and has since added 350 acres of freehold, which he farms. He served as a member of the local school committee for fourteen years, and, as a Freemason, is attached to St. Augustine Lodge, New Zealand Constitution. Mr. Scott is also a member of the Waimate Agricultural and Pastoral Association. He married a daughter of the late Mr. John Atkinson, of County Antrim, Ireland, and has two sons and two daughters.
Mr. and Mrs W. Scott.
Trezise, Joseph Henry, Farmer, Morven. Mr. Trezise was born near Helston, Cornwall, England, in 1859, and educated at Sythney Church, Tavistock. He arrived at Lyttelton by the ship “Northern Monarch” in 1880, and settled at Makikihi, where he was employed as a platelayer on the railway for about seventeen years. On the opening of the Waikakahi settlement in 1899, Mr. Trezise acquired the 157 acres of land on which his comfortable homestead stands. He is a member of Court Pride of Waimate, Ancient Order of Foresters, and in the Masonic Order is attached to Lodge St. Augustine, New Zealand Constitution. For a good many years he was a member of the Makikihi school committee. Mr. Trezise was married, in July, 1881, to a daughter of Mr. Richard John Osborne, of St. Stevens village, Cornwall, and has four sons and four daughters.page 1095
Mr. and Mrs J. H. Trezise.
Mr. George Morton, J.P., sometime of Rigghousre, Morven, South Canterbury, was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1831. His education was finished at the Glasgow High School, and in his early years he followed farming. Mr. Morton came to New Zealand in 1863, by the ship “Portland,” and as there was then a state of war between the colonists and the Maoris, he joined the volunteers, and was appointed aide-de-camp to Colonel Bailey. When peace was proclaimed, Mr. Morton removed to South Canterbury, where he engaged in contract work. He bought a farm from the Crown in 1876, and ways the second settler in the district. At first he had a freehold of 407 acres, but he afterwards added 145 acres of leasehold. The property is in a high state of cultivation, and is divided into nine paddocks, devoted to grazing, and there are very good buildings on the farm. Mr. Morton fattened sheep for the export trade, and preferred the progeny of crossbred ewes and Border Leicester rams. He served as a member of the Waimate County Council, and was president of the Waimate Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and a member of the local school committee. Mr. Morton was appointed to the Commission of the Peace in 1895. In 1876 he was married to Miss Campbell, and had five daughters and three sons. He died on the 3rd of February, 1900.
The late Mr. G. Morton and Mrs Morton.
The Waitaki Village Settlement Public School was opened in 1891. It has been enlarged lately and now stands on three acres of land on the main road between Glenavy and Redcliff. There are sixty names on the roll, and there is an average attendance of fifty. The teacher in charge is assisted by an infant mistress.
Mr. Robert Bruce Clark, Master of the Waitaki Village Settlement Public School, was born at Weston, Oamaru, in 1880. He was educated at Seadown, and at the Timaru District High School; served his pupil-teachership at the former school, and was subsequently assistant master at the Waimate public school for three years, before his appointment to his present position in 1903. Mr. Clark won a Junior Scholarship and afterwards a Senior Scholarship under the South Canterbury Board of Education, and has gained many prizes.
Mr. R. B. Clark.
The Waitaki Parish Of The Presbyterian Church, was constituted in 1899, when the manse was built on the main road, between Glenavy and Morven. The land attached to the manse consists of thirty acres, and was presented to the church by Mr. Allan McLean, then proprietor of the Waikakahi estate. Practically, the parish covers the whole area of the old Waikakahi estate, and its boundaries are the Waitaki and the Waihao rivers. No church has as yet (1903) been erected in the district, but weekly services are held in the schoolrooms at Morven and Glenavy, and fortnightly at the Waitaki settlement and Redcliff schools.