Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]



Allen, Joseph, Farmer, Waihoa Forks. Mr. Allen was born in 1842, at Helston, Cornwall, England, and is the eldest son of Mr. Joseph Allen of that place. He was educated at the Episcopalian school there, and followed farming pursuits until he left for New Zealand in the ship “Accrington,” which reached Lyttelton in September, 1883. Soon after his arrival he entered into carting contracts. In 1865 he went to the West Coast diggings, but returned to Canterbury shortly afterwards, and, in partnership with Mr. Gilbert, of Dunsandel, took up a block of land. In 1867 he bought 107 acres near Kaiapoi, and carried on dairy farming. Mr. Allen now farms 479 acres, under a lease in perpetuity, at Waihao Forks. His land is beautifully situated on the banks of the Waihao river. Mr. Allen was married, in 1877, to the daughter of Mr. Henry Symons, of Cornwall, England, and has a surviving family of five sons.

Cox, photoMr. and Mrs J. Allen.

Cox, photo
Mr. and Mrs J. Allen.

Lane, Walter, Sheepfarmer, “Chedglow,” Waihao Forks, Mr. Lane was born in Wiltshire, England, and passed his early years on his father's farm. In 1874 he came to New Zealand by the ship “Adamant,” and after landing at Nelson went on to Marlborough, where he passed two years. He was then a year in Otago, and came to Canterbury in 1877. Mr. Lane bought his present property in 1892. It consists of 400 acres of freehold and 3800 acres of leasehold land, and was originally part of the Waimate run. All the improvements on the property have been made by Mr. Lane. The dwellinghouse is finely situated and overlooks the road, and a tributary of the Waihao river, and is surrounded by a garden, orchard, and plantations. Mr. Lane has erected ten miles of fencing, and he keeps halfbred sheep on his property. He was married in 1892 to Miss Pelvin, and has two daughters.

Mr. and Mrs W. Lane.

Mr. and Mrs W. Lane.

Mulcock, G. T., Farmer, “Kororareka,” Waihao Forks. Mr. Mulcock was born at Flaxton, North Canterbury, in 1870, and passed his early years on his father's farm In 1896 he bought his present property, which consist of 750 acres. The land was then all in its native state, but most of it has now been brought under cultivation. Mr. Mulcock's wheat sometimes averages fifty bushels, oats seventy bushels, and rye forty-three bushels per acre. Turnips, too, grow page 1083 to perfection on the property, and Mr. Mulcock fattens a large number of sheep for the export trade. The improvements include a good homestead, well sheltered from the prevailing winds. Mr. Mulcock has always taken an active interest in football, cricket, and other athletic sports. He was married, in 1897, to Miss Anson, and has two daughters.

Orbell, Norman Macleod, Farmer, Mount Harris, Waihao Forks. Mr. Orbell is the son of a well known Geraldine settler, and was born in 1864, at Waikouaiti. He was educated at Christ's College, Christchurch, and, having studied as an architect, followed his profession for several years in Dunedin. Afterwards he gained experience of statin life with his father at Waikouaiti, and bought his property of 1600 acres at Mount Harris in 1889. Mr. Orbell has been very successful in breeding Border Leicester sheep, with which he has taken many prizes at South Canterbury shows. He is a member of the committee of the Timaru and Waimate Agricultural and Pastoral Associations. Mr. Orbell was married, in 1899, to a daughter of the late Mr. C. J. Sale, of Hokitika, and has one son and one daughter.

Perry, Percy Lyttelton, Farmer, “Glenlogan,” Waihao Forks. “Glenlogan” consists of over 200 acres of freehold. The owner is a son of the late Mr. Arthur Perry, of Timaru, and was born in that town in 1873. He was educated at Christ's College, Chrischurch, and privately, and was intended for the legal profession, but personally preferred a country life. Mr. Perry is a steward of the Waimate Racing Club, and as a Freemason he is attached to Lodge St. Augustine, New Zealand Constitution.