The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Hunter is a sheepfarming district in the Makikihi riding of the Waimate county towards the hills, at the back of the Hook and Makakihi districts. The land is mostly undulating, and is good for agriculture and sheepfarming purposes. There has been a public school in the district since about 1878, and a post office since 1883. A public hall and library were erected in 1902. Divine service is held periodically in the public school by the clergy of the Anglican and Presbyterian churches. The population of the district at the census of 1901 was 165.
The Post Office at Hunter was established in the eighties. The business is conducted at the homestead of Mr. John Dodds, farmer, and mails are received and despatched twice a week.
The Hunter Public School dates from 1875. It has a classroom and a porch, with accommodation for forty-five children. There are twenty-five names on the roll. A two-storey residence and a public hall have been recently erected on the school land, which amounts to five acres in all.
Miss Maud Cartwright, Teacher in charge of the Hunter school, was appointed to the position in 1900.
Wright, Richard, Farmer, “Elmsthorpe,” Hunter. This estate comprises 675 acres of freehold, and is devoted to mixed farming. Mr. Wright was born at Earl Shilton, Leicestershire, England, in 1831, and brought up as a farmer. In 1852 he came to Lyttelton by the ship “Samarang,” and was for some time farming at Lincoln Road, Christchurch. Afterwards he opened coalpits at the Malvern Hills, and worked them for about five years. He then returned to Lincoln Road, where he again engaged in farming, and was afterwards for a good many years at Lincoln. In 1882 Mr. Wright removed to the Hunter district, and purchased his present property. It was only partly improved, and had the boundary fence around it, but it is now many years since the property was brought into a high state of cultivation. Mr. Wright served on the Hunter school committee for many years, and was for a long time chairman of that body. He was also for a long time a member of the Timaru Agricultural and Pastoral Association. As a Freemason he joined the Order at Lincoln, but is at present unattached. Mr. Wright was married, in 1857, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Murray, of Christchurch, and has four sons and two daughters surviving.