The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Brookland, Robert, Farmer, Kingsdown. Mr. Brookland was born in Devonshire, England, in 1852, and was brought up to farming. He came out in the ship “Northern Monarch,” in 1878, and landed in Lyttelton. For two years he worked on the Kingsdown estate, and then went to Pareora, and managed a farm for Mr. Bristol for a year. He then bought a house at Beaconsfield and worked in the district for two years, when he went into partnership with Mr. Abbott, and took up twenty-eight acres of Government land, which was increased to seventy-eight acres. The partnership was soon dissolved, and Mr. Brookland bought 153 acres at Kingsdown and leased 300 more. He has also since then leased a farm of 250 acres and another of 110 acres, both at Kingsdown, and works all the properties in conjunction. A year or two ago he imported a threshing mill, and bought a Haslem and Porter engine. His wheat averages sixty bushels per acre and page 1038 barley eighty bushels. Mr. Brookland is a member of the Order of Foresters, and a member of the Kingsdown school committee. Mr. Brookland's success is due to his persistent efforts, for when he landed in this colony, his total capital amounted to the small sum of eightpence. He was married, in 1880, to Miss Jane Gardner, of Devonshire, and has four daughters and two sons:
Mr. R. Brookland.
Campbell, James, Farmer, “Carrick,” Kingsdown. This well-known settler is a native of County Down, Ireland, where he was born in 1840 and was brought up to farming. Mr. Campbell came to Lyttelton by the ship “Huntress” in 1863, and worked on farms in various capacities in the South Canterbury district, and afterwards bought a small property near Timaru. This he sold in 1869, and purchased his present home, “Carrick,” a farm of 553 acres. He has been a member of the Kingsdown School Committee, is associated with the South Canterbury Jockey Club, Timaru Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and is a member of the Orange lodge. He married Miss Rebecca Gibson, daughter of the late Mr. James Gibson, Timaru, in 1873, and they have twelve children. Mrs Campbell came from the Old Country with her parents in the ship “Strathallan,” which arrived in New Zealand in 1858.
Ellis, Joseph, Farmer, Kingsdown. Mr. Ellis was born at Dewsbury, Yorkshire England, on the 30th of June, 1829, and before coming to New Zealand, he followed the occupation of a brickmaker. He arrived at Lyttelton in the ship “Clontarf,” on the 6th of January, 1859. After a few months at Harewood Road, Papanui, he removed to the Timaru district, where he took up his own trade, and made the first bricks that were used in the district. He was a contractor for roadmaking for a good many years, but in 1876 he commenced farming, and has for some years worked 106 acres of freehold at Kingsdown as a dairy farm, under the name of Springfield dairy. About eighteen cows are milked, and the milk is delivered throughout Timaru and the surrounding district. Mr. Ellis was one of the first members of the Timaru Borough Council, and had previously served as a member of the town board. He assisted in the establishment of the Mechanics' Institute and was a member of the first committee. As a volunteer, he served in No. 7 Rifles, and also in the Artillery, and he was one of the promoters of the first Artillery Band, of which he became bandmaster. In the Order of Foresters Mr. Ellis was one of the foundation members of Court Southern Cross, 3123, and is a Past Chief Ranger. He has long been a member of St. John's Masonic Lodge, and was junior Grand Deacon at the ceremony of laying the foundation stone of the first Masonic Hall at Timaru. Mr. Ellis was married, on the 23rd of February, 1852, to a daughter of the late Mr. Godfrey Wentworth Goodall, of Dewsbury, Yorkshire, and has six sons, four daughters, and thirty-three grandchildren.
Munro, Donald, Farmer, “Dalmore,” Kingsdown. Mr. Munro was born at Alness, Ross-shire, Scotland, in August, 1843, and came to Port Chalmers in the ship “Jura” in 1861. He entered the service of Mr. Donald Reid, at the Taieri, where he held various positions from cowboy to storekeeper. Several years later, he bought a team of horses and a waggon, and during the gold-rush was carting between Dunedin, Dunstan, and Queenstown for about three years. Mr. Munro farmed for about ten years at Hampden, and was for two years contracting on the Kartigi section of New Zealand railways. He finally settled in the Kingsdown district in May, 1877. His farm, which consists of 200 acres of freehold land, has been brought to a good state of cultivation. Mr. Munro has owned stud horses for a good many years. He served for about fourteen years on the local school committee. In 1893 he visited the Old Country. Mr. Munro was married, on the 16th of April, 1869, to a daughter of the late Captain Ross, of Ross-shire, and has four sons and two daughters.
Simmons, Francis, Farmer, “Comp-stall.” Kingsdown. Mr. Simmons was born in 1848, in the North of Ireland, where he page 1039 was brought up to agricultural and pastoral pursuits. In 1863 he arrived in Melbourne, and after two years came to the West Coast goldfields, where he entered into business as a storekeeper and butcher. During his residence on the Coast, he had many rough experiences, especially in the days of the Kelly-Burgess gang. He removed to South Canterbury in 1877 and was engaged for some years as a cattledealer, buying fat stock for the West Coast trade. His farm comprises 294 acres of good land, and he also owns a farm of 200 acres at Makikihi, as well as 2,000 acres of sheep country. Mr. Simmons is a well-known breeder of high-class carriage horses, and owned the imported horse “Orpheus,” who, while he lived, was a champion in the show ring; and his progeny, “Cock of the Walk” and “Agamemnon,” were winners of many first prizes. At the Christchurch, Timaru, Dunedin and Oamaru shows, “Agamemnon” won first prizes in competition with the stock of the imported horses, “Wicklow” and “Merry Stanton.” Mr. Simmons is a member of the South Canterbury Jockey Club, and has been many years clerk of the course. He is also a member of the Timaru Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and is a regular exhibitor at the annual shows. Mr. Simmons was married in Christchurch, and has six children.