The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Beck, Alexander, Farmer, Maori Hill, Timaru. Mr. Beck was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1843, and was connected with dairy farming in the Old Country. He came out to New Zealand in 1876 in the ship “Wiltshire,' landed at Lyttelton, and went to Waitaki to take charge of a property there for a short period. He then entered into ploughing contracts with Messrs Fleming and Hedley for a couple of seasons, and for several succeeding years was engaged in similar work and in cropping. Mr. Beck afterwards started for himself, and took over a farm at the Otaio, where he remained for five or six years, when he went to Seadown, and took up another property, devoted to dairy garming. There he had a large milking stable, in which fifty cows were milked all the year round; there was also a creamery, where the cream separators and other appliances were worked by steam power. The output of butter averaged from 300 to 500 pounds per week, and was absorbed in the local markets. Mr. Beck was president of the New Zealand Draughts Association for 1899 and 1900, and he is a director of the “Morning Post,” a daily newspaper which was first published at Timaru on the 18th of November, 1899. In 1881 Mr. Beck married Miss page 1020 Flint, who was also a passenger by the ship “Wiltshire,” and they have one son and one daughter.
Mr. A. Beck.
Cabot, Thomas, Farmer, “Steinberg,” Timaru, Mr. Cabot was born in Jersey, in the Channel Islands, on the 11th of October, 1814, and is a descendant of Sir John Cabot, the navigator, who was knighted by Henry the Eighth. He was a Professor of Languages in France for some years, and for three years subsequently was in Hanover, Germany, where he studied the German language. On returning to Jersey, he sold his property and came out to Australia, taking a position as a teacher in King's School, Parramatta, New South Wales. In 1852. Mr. Cabot came to Canterbury, and in 1854 removed to the Timaru district, where he has since had his home, except for four years when he resided in Christchurch. He purchased land at Mount Horrible Road, sometime called Cabot's Road, and during the time land values were inflated, he disposed of half of his land at £125 per acre. Mr. Cabot was married, in 1865, to a daughter of the late Colonel John Kunkel, of Prussia, who fought at Jena, Austrelitz, and Leipsic. He has a family of three sons and four daughters.
Mr. T. Cabot.
O'Boyle, Neill, Farmer, Landsborough. Mr. O'Boyle was born in 1829, at Cushandall, County Antrim, Ireland, and has farmed on his own account for fifty years. He arrived in Lyttelton by the ship “Orari,” in 1878, and took up land in South Canterbury. Mr. O'Boyle's property consists of 297 acres of leasehold land, which he works as a mixed farm. He was married, in 1866, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. McCann, of County Antrim, Ireland, and has had seven sons and seven daughters. One son is dead.
Mr. and Mrs N. O'Boyle.
Campbell, William Grant. Threshing Machine and Traction Engine Proprietor, Le Cren and North Streets, Timaru. Mr. Campbell was born in 1833 in Caithness, Scotland, where he was brought up to farming, and afterwards worked as a stone mason at Wick, where he resided for four years. He then went to America, and was for five years building in the country districts. In 1862 he left America, and arrived in Wellington in the same year by the ship “Oliver Laing.” He went to Lyttelton in the “Mary Louisa,” and found employment at the Springs station, near Lincoln, then the property of Messrs Fitzgerald and Cox. After six years Mr. Campbell bought land at Woodbury, where he farmed for about fourteen years; at the end of which he leased his farm and removed to Timaru, to have his children educated. Mr. Campbell has always been fond of machinery, and now works a traction engine and threshing plant. He was one of the first to bring a traction engine into the district. Mr. Campbell was first married, in 1866, to Miss Berry, of London, who died in 1868, leaving one son. In 1872 Mr. Campbell married Miss Morrow, of Killinchy, Ireland, and has two sons and two daughters.
Mr. W. G. Campbell.