The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Jackson, John, Sawmiller, Coal and Timber Merchant, etc., Stafford Street, Timaru. Mr. Jackson was born in Derbyshire, England, in 1837, and received his education in that county, being brought up to farming pursuits. He came to New Zealand in 1863 by the ship “Victory,” landing at Timaru, and was for some years employed on a station. In 1867, he started as a timber merchant, and his business, under his able guidance, became one of the largest in the town. It includes sawmilling, a sash and door factory, and a coalyard. Mr. Jackson is agent for the Westport Cardiff Coal Company, Ltd., and for the Commercial Union Assurance Company, Ltd., of London. In 1890, Mr. Jackson united with two other gentlemen in buying the Belford flour mill, where the well-known brand of flour, “Golden Gem,” is produced. He now has the entire control of this important mill, his partners having retired from the concern. Mr. Jackson has served on the Timaru Borough Council for twenty-one years—seventeen years as councillor and four years as mayor. He was for many years a member of different school committees, and has for some time been a governor of the Timaru High School, and of the South Canterbury Education Board. He has also been a member of the South Canterbury Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, of which he was chairman for some years; he is chairman of the Timaru Cemetery Board, and a member of the Board of Governors of Canterbury College.
MR. J. Jackson.
Murdoch, John, Timber Merchant, Stafford Street, Timaru. This business was established by the proprietor, in 1881. The land upon which the store and yards stand is centrally situated, and consists of a quarter of an acre on one side of the street, and half an acre on the opposite side. In addition to a large stock of timber, a general assortment of builders' ironware is kept. Mr. Murdoch was born in 1833, in Ayrshire, Scotland, where he was brought up as a mechanical engineer. He came to Port Chalmers in the ship “Pladda, and almost immediately settled in Invercargill. For a number of years he was with his brother, Mr. R. Murdoch, who has since emigrated to Buenos Ayres. During his residence of thirty-one years in Southland, Mr. Murdoch was prominent in connection with timber and flour milling. He had one of the first sawmills in the district, and at one time had as many as six mills working. He also founded one of the earliest flour mills in the district and worked it for about five years, when he sold it to Messrs Fleming, Gilkinson and Co. Mr. Murdoch finally sold the saw mills and timber trade to the New Zealand Pine Company, and removed to Dunedin, where he built a large mill, afterwards known as that of John Murdoch and Company. He also worked a sawmill at Stewart Island for about five years, and then sold it to Messrs Macallum and Co. For some years past Mr. Murdoch has lived at Timaru, where his business is managed by Mr. James Ord. Mr. Murdoch was married, in 1857, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Findley, of Auchinleck, Ayrshire, Scotland, and has had five daughters and three sons. One son is dead.
Mr. J. Murdoch.