The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Cycle Importers And Manufacturers
Cycle Importers And Manufacturers.
Caledonian Cycle Works (Charles Edward Donaldson, proprietor), corner of Bannard and Woollcombe Streets, Timaru. These works were established in March, 1901, by the present proprietor. The premises consist of a brick corner shop, with two large windows to the showroom, and a work shop, with all necessary appliances and machinery, behind. Mr. Donaldson builds the well known “Caledonia” cycle, which is made from genuine B.S.A. or other parts. He makes a specialty of repairs, and acts as agent for the Rover and Cleveland cycles. Mr. Donaldson was born in Christchurch, in 1877, and was educated in that city, where he partly learned his trade, his knowledge of which was completed in Timaru, to which he removed in 1896. Mr. Donaldson worked for Messrs C. W. Wood and Co. and was for some time foreman of their works, till he decided to commence business on his own account. During the time he has been in business he has earned for himself a name for honest work, and straightforward dealing, thereby gaining the confidence and custom of a large proportion of the cycling public of Timaru and surrounding district.
Higgins, Mark, Cycle Dealer and Repairer. Stafford Street, Timaru. This business was originally established by the Massey Harris Company, and was run in conjunction with its implement business, but on the separation of the two branches, in 1900, Mr. Higgins, who was then in the Company's service in Timaru, took over the bicycle branch and the South Canterbury agency for the Company's Massey-Harris and Imperial bicycles, in addition to which he has the agency for Singer bicycles. The premises occupied consist of a showroom, office and workshop in a substantial brick building, and, besides carrying a large stock of bicycles and accessories, there is every facility for executing repairs. Mr. Higgins was born at Milton, Otago, in September, 1872. He worked for a number of years as a wheelwright, but left that occupation in 1898, to enter the Massey-Harris Company's service. Mr. Higgins has been a member of volunteers since 1891, when he joined the C Battery, New Zealand Artillery, in Timaru; after two years' service he resigned and joined the Timaru Rifles. He was promoted to the rank of sergeant in 1895, and in the following year to that of colour sergeant, an office which he still holds. Mr. Higgins is a member of Court Southern Cross. Ancient Order of Foresters. He was married on Boxing Day, 1898, to a daughter of the late Mr. John Hosking, who was killed by a mining accident at Nenthorn, Reefton. Mr. Joseph Higgins—father of Mr. Higgins—lost his life in a precisely similar mining accident.
Mr. M. Higgins.
Wood, C. W. and Co. (Cecil Walkden Wood), Cycle and Motor Manufacturer, Stafford Street, Timaru. This business dates from 1894, and is conducted in the commodious premises which were erected for the purpose. The showroom is on the ground floor front, and the office and workrooms are behind. The departments consist of an engineer's shop, and an enamelling room, with oven; and the plant includes nickelling and copper-plating machinery, and every necessary appliance for carrying on the work of manufacturing and repairing cycles and motors. There are two flats on the premises, and these are both occupied with the various branches of the business.
Mr. C. W. Wood, Proprietor of the works, was born at Timaru, in March, 1874. He served for a time as a mechanical engineer at Lyttelton, and ultimately turned his attention to the cycle trade in Christchurch, where he gained his first experience. In 1894 he commenced business in Timaru. His establishment was the first of its kind in the borough, and the business has developed so steadily, that it is now quite a large concern. The firm imports extensively from England and America, and is also busily engaged in manufacturing motor cars, two of which are already to be seen running about the streets of Timaru. Mr. Wood is a Freemason, and is attached to Lodge St. John, English Constitution. He was married, in September, 1899, to a daughter of Mr. Thomas Harris, Timaru, and has one son.
Mr. C. W. Wood.