The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Borough Council . The Borough Council of Timaru is composed of a Mayor, elected annually, and twelve councillors elected for a period of two years two members for each ward. In 1868, on the petition of the residents, Timaru was proclaimed a borough. The late Mr. Samuel Hewlings was chosen first mayor, and Mr. Edwin Henry Lough was appointed town clerk. The regular meetings of the council are held on the second and fourth Monday in each month at the council offices, which are situated in a handsome two-storey building in George Street. The area of the borough is 1100 acres; total number of ratepayers 350, and estimated population 6500; the beautiful and extensive suburbs are included in Levels county, and have a population of 2000. There are 1250 dwellings in the borough, and the ratable properties number 1750, with a total annual value of £54,000. The authorised rates amount to 3s in the £, made up of a general rate of 1s, in addition to a special rate of one shilling, and a water rate of from two-and-ahalf per cent, to five per cent. The public debt consists at present of the waterworks loan of £60,000, and a drainage loan of £3784, a second drainage loan of £10,000, and an abattoir loan of £6500. The reservoir which supplies the town with water is situated at Landsborough. The council is continually effecting permanent improvements in the race and delivery pipes, and has almost doubled the quantity of the original water supply, enabling surplus water to be used for motive power, steam supplies, manufactures, etc.; the annual income from these sources being £3000. The late Mr. Henry Wrigg, C.E., was the engineer who first undertook the construction of the waterworks, but he died before completing the scheme, and Messrs E. Dobson and Son, of Christchurch, were employed, and very successfully carried out the work. The borough contributes £125 per annum towards the fire brigade. The council has control of the park, Otipua domain, at the south end of the town, and a fine stretch of land at the north end, the Caroline Bay sands and bathing ground. It recently acquired thirty acres of land on a high bluff overlooking the sea, near the Smithfield Freezing Works, and has erected abattoirs there at a cost of £6500. The volunteer Fire Brigade, which was started in 1868, has its quarters at the Council Chambers, in George Street. Members of the council for 1903: Mr J. Craigie, Mayor, and Messrs W. Priest, D. C. Turnbull, T. Hawkey, G. Sealey, E. K. Guinness, A. Oborn, J. Rothwell, J. Wallace, A. Davidson, T. L. Harvey, T. D. Young, and T. W. Satterthwaite, Mr. E. H. Lough is town clerk, Mr. A. Boswick, waterworks engineer, and Mr. T. Smith, sanitary inspector.
His Worship The Mayor, Mr. James Craigie, was elected a councillor of the borough of Timaru in August, 1901, and was returned as Mayor in May, 1902. He was born in Perthshire, Scotland, in 1851, and came to Lyttelton by the ship “Glenmark” in 1867. After serving his apprenticeship in page 970 Dunedin he began business in Timaru on his own account in 1873, as importer and general decorator in a small way. The business has developed with the progress of the town, and is conducted in a commodious building in Cain's Terrace. Mr. Craigie owns a large farm at Kingsdown, and for ten years during his residence in that district, he held office as chairman of the school committee. He was married, in 1875, to a daughter of the late Mr. Alexander Orr, of Kiltoal, County Donegal, Ireland.
Councillor Andrew Mackenzie Davidson, who has represented the South-west Ward, on the Timaru Borough Council, since 1901, was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, in 1853. In 1872, he came to Lyttelton in the ship “Celestial Queen,” and settled in Timaru, where, in 1876, he commenced business as a carrier. Mr. Davidson was married in 1880, to a daughter of Mr. John Wyldie one of the Deal boatmen who came out to work the surf boats, and has three daughters and two sons surviving.
Councillor Tom Hawkey has been a member of the Timaru Borough Council since 1894, and represents the South-east Ward. He was born in 1853, in Cornwall. England, apprenticed to the boot trade, and arrived in Timaru, by the ship “Merope,” in 1875. Since about 1882 he has been in business at the southern end of Timaru. He served for a number of years on the South Timaru school committee, and was at one time chairman. Mr. Hawkey was married, in 1875, to a daughter of the late Mr. C. W. Beswetherick, of St. Andrews, and has had six sons and seven daughters. One son and two daughters have died.
Councillor Anthony Mills, J.P., has represented the Northern Suburban Ward on the Timaru Borough Council since 1897. He was born in Egremont, Cumberland, England, in 1839. In 1873 he arrived at Port Chalmers by the ship “Sussex,” and shortly afterwards settled in Timaru, where he is in business as an ironmonger. Mr. Mills was married, in 1862, to a daughter of Mr. L. Corkhill, of Castletown, Isle of Man, and has one son and one daughter surviving. He has been a Justice of the Peace for many years.
Councillor William Priest has represented the Timaru North-west Ward in the Timaru Borough Council, since 1900. He was born at Glossop, Derbyshire, England, in 1848, and came to Lyttelton by the ship “Victory” in 1863. He entered the employment of Mr. Reece in Christchurch, and was afterwards transferred to Timaru, and continued in Mr. Reece's employment for six years. In 1873, with Mr. Holdgate, he founded the firm of Priest and Holdgate, and this firm is still prominent as one of the leading ironmongery houses in South Canterbury. In the early days Mr. Priest served as a member of the volunteers. He has been connected with the South Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association for a long time, and holds the office of treasurer. He has also taken an active interest in connection with the Caledonian Society, and other local matters. Mr. Priest was married, in 1873, to a daughter of the late Mr. R. B. Simpson, and has four sons and two daughters.
Councillor James Rothwell has continuously represented the South Suburban Ward in the Timaru Borough Council since 1896, and was returned unopposed at the election of 1901. Mr. Rothwell gained some valuable experience of electioneering as chairman of the Hon. W. Hall-Jones' election committee. He has long been associated with the Oddfellows, and is a Past Grand in the Timaru Lodge. Since 1895 he has represented the Oddfellows on the United Friendly Societies' Dispensary Board, and in 1900 he was elected the board's chairman. Mr. Rothwell is an exceptionally capable cricketer, and, prior to his emigration to New Zealand, he was associated with some of the most prominent English players in representative matches. He was born in Cheshire, England, in 1846, and educated at private schools, at Hollingworth, where he entered a cotton factory, and rose early to the position of overseer. He occupied this position till 1874, when he left England in the steam ship “Atrato” for New Zealand. After landing at Lyttelton, Mr. Rothwell was variously engaged, until he took up permanent employment with Mr. Jackson, timber and coal merchant, of Timaru. He takes an active interest in local politics, and was chairman of the election committee of the Hon. W. Hall-Jones. Mr. Rothwell was married, in 1873, to Miss Jacklin, of Lincolnshire, England.
Mr. J. Rothwell.
Councillor Thomas William Satterthwaite was elected in 1901 to represent the North-west Ward in the Timaru Borough Council. He was born at Staffordtown, Westland, in 1871, and educated at the Timaru and Geraldine public schools, and was afterwards apprenticed to a well-known drapery firm in Timaru. He was afterwards for some time with the firm of Messrs J. Ballantyne and Co., and was subsequently employed to manage a department at the headquarters of the Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association. Mr. Satterthwaite retained this position till 1895, when he was appointed travelling representative for the D.I.C. in South Canterbury. This appointment he still holds, in conjunction with the management of the Timaru branch of the Anglo-New Zealand Cycle Company. Mr. Satterthwaite is a prominent Druid; he has passed through the various chairs, and has for many years been auditor for the Timaru Lodge. He has also taken a great interest in athletics, and was for some years a member of the South Canterbury Amateur Athletic Club, and of the Timaru Tourist Cycling Club. Mr. Satterthwaite was married, in 1896, to Miss M. Knight, daughter of Mr. J. C. Knight, an early Canterbury colonist, and has one son and one daughter.
Mr. T. W. Satterthwaite.
Councillor George John Sealey, who has represented the South-east Ward in the Timaru Borough Council since 1896, was born in Somersetshire, England, in 1864. He was brought up as a gardener, and was employed for a time at Patsall Hall, the property of the Earl of Dartmouth, before coming to Lyttelton in 1873 by the ship “Peerless.” He found employment at Bluecliffs station near Timaru, and was afterwards for four years at Otipua station. In 1882 Mr. Sealey finally settled in Timaru, and began gardening on his own account. He has a valuable property of three-quarters of an acre in King Street, upon which his residence and several vineries stand, the stretch of glass being over 1000 square feet in extent. Mr. Sealey has served on the Timaru South school committee since the district was established in 1894, and was chairman for a year. He was for five years connected with the Timaru Rifles, and is attached to the local Lodge of page 971 Druids, in which he has been twice through the chairs, and holds office as District President. He has been a member of the local Horticultural Society for a number of years, and was vice-president of the late chrysanthemum society for about four years. Mr. Sealey has also taken an interest in the local Caledonian Society. He was married, in 1877, to a daughter of the late Mr. Gibb, of Rothes Morayshire, Scotland.
Mr. G. J. Sealey.
Mr. Edwin Henry Lough, Town Clerk and Treasurer to the Borough of Timaru, was born in 1833, and came to Lyttelton by the ship “North Fleet” in 1854. He was for a while with Mr. Rhodes on the Levels station, near Timaru, and was engaged in various callings till 1864, when he was elected clerk to the Levels Road Board. In 1868 he was appointed to the position which he holds at the present time. Until recently he has acted as honorary secretary of the Timaru Floral Society, and began to serve it in that capacity at its formation, thirty years ago. Mr. Lough is married, and has three sons and three daughters.
Mr. E. H. Lough.
Mr. Oakley Archer, formerly Borough Engineer at Timaru, is an Associated Member of the Institute of Civil Engineers, and was born at Barrow-on-Guerney, Somersetshire, England, in 1862. He was brought to Lyttelton by his parents by the ship “Motoaka,” in 1868, and was educated principally at Christ's College, Christchurch. He was articled as a civil engineer, and served in the Victorian Railway Department from April, 1885, to March, 1891. Mr. Archer practised his profession in Ballarat for a time, and afterwards removed to Queen Street, Melbourne. In 1895 he became City Engineer in Christchurch, and held the position till 1900, when he was appointed Borough Engineer at Timaru. In May, 1890, Mr Archer became an associate member of the Institute of Civil Engineers, London, and in January, 1891, he received a Government certificate in Victoria as a municipal surveyor. He became a member of the North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers in 1895, and a fellow of the Sanitary Institute of London in 1899. Mr. Archer was married, in 1890, to a daughter of Judge Gaunt, of Melbourne, and has one son and one daughter.
Mr. O. Archer.