The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Gunn, William, Chemist and Druggist, Stafford Street, Timaru. Mr. Gunn's premises are centrally situated in the main street. He keeps a full stock of all the requisites of the trade. Mr. Gunn personally is referred to in another article as referee of the South Canterbury Caledonian Society.
Oddie, John Crosfield, Chemist and Druggist, The Pharmacy, Timaru. Mr. Oddie was born at Chelmsford, England, and educated at the Friends' Boarding School, Penketh, Lancashire. He served a six years' apprenticeship with a well known firm of Liverpool chemists, and came out to New Zealand by the s.s. “Arawa,” in 1886, under engagement to the New Zealand Drug Company, of Dunedin. On deciding to go into the retail branch of the business once more, he passed the standard examination under the Pharmacy Board, and was registered as a pharmaceutical chemist in 1892. In 1895 he acquired his present business, which is stated to be the oldest in the district. The premises are centrally situated in the main street, in a two-storey building of brick. Mr. Oddie was married, in 1895, to a daughter of Mr. John Don, of Dunedin, and has one son and one daughter.
Mr. J. C. Oddie.