The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
The American Dental Company (Proprietors, Messrs Neville Speechly and Bartram Percy Ginders). Head Office, Gloucester Street, Christchurch; Timaru Branch. Stafford Street, Timaru. This branch was established in October, 1901, under the management of Mr. B. P. Ginders, and is carried on in a two-storey brick building, facing Stafford Street. The waiting room is attractively furnished, and the surgery contains all the latest American and English appliances necessary for successful dentistry.
Mr. Bartram Percy Ginders, Manager of the Timaru Branch of the American Dental Company, gained his early knowledge of dentistry with Mr. A. Hoby, L.D.S., of Wellington, under whom he served his apprenticeship. He gained his diploma as qualified dentist in Dunedin, in 1890, and ten years later, after holding various responsible positions, he joined Mr. Speechly in forming the American Dental Company. Mr. Ginders is referred to at page 957 of the Wellington volume of this work.
Cox, Norman Kershaw, M.D., D.D.S., Dental Surgeon, Stafford Street, Timaru. Telephone 66. Dr. Cox was born in Preston, Lancashire, England, in 1869, and is a son of Mr. Edwin Cox, L.D.S., dentist, of Auckland. He was educated at the King Edward VI. school in Birmingham and learnt deutistry from his father and in America, where he studied for three years. Dr. Cox attended Michigan University, where he obtained his diplomas, and afterwards studied for two years in England, He came out to New Zealand and began practice in Timaru in 1893. Dr. Cox, who takes a great interest in athletics, is president of the Colonial Football Club, vice-president of the Rugby Union, and is identified with nearly every club in the district. He has interested himself in promoting the improvement of Timaru, and is secretary of the Timaru Beautifying Society.
Dr. N. K. Cox.
Gresson, Cuthbert Henry, Surgeon Dentist, Stafford Street, Timaru. Mr. Gresson was born in Christchurch, where he qualified for his profession. He established his present business at Timaru, in 1900.
Gunn, William, Surgeon Dentist, Stafford Street, Timaru. Mr. Gunn's dental surgery is situated in the same building as his chemist's and druggist's shop, which is referred to in another article.
Rowley, Thomas Griffiths, Surgeon Dentist, Church Street, Timaru. Mr. Rowley was born and educated in Birmingham, England. As a youth he was placed with Dr. Dunn, of Dudley, and under him studied dentistry and minor surgery. Subsequently he became assistant to Drs Woodall and Proctor, of Wednesbury, and acted with them for several years. Mr. Rowley arrived at Lyttelton by the ship “Mystery,” in 1858. He founded his dental practice in Timaru in 1887.
Scott, John Charles, Surgeon Dentist, Stafford Street, Timaru. Mr. Scott was born near Milton, Otago, in 1872, and qualified for his profession in Dunedin in 1837. After practising for a time at Waimate he removed to Timaru, where he has since resided. Mr. Scott was married, in 1900, to a daughter of Mr. T. Evans, of Waimate, and has one son.