The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Temuka is on the main south line of railway, eighty-nine miles from Christchurch, and eleven miles to the north of Timaru. The surrounding district is rich agricultural country; towards the sea the land is particularly fertile, and was originally a wild swamp, but it now yields crops which average sixty bushels of wheat and from seventy to eighty bushels of oats to the acre. With a few exceptions, the holdings are comparatively large, and the whole district is dotted with fine plantations, which afford shelter to the stock and homesteads and lend a sylvan grace to the landscape. The district is well watered, as the Opihi and Temuka rivers are about half a mile from the town, the Orari three miles, and the Rangitata about ten. These rivers are known to all anglers as being stocked with trout, which, in respect to size and delicacy, equal the best in New Zealand. Temuka is, therefore, in high favour with anglers, some of whom come from Australia, and even England, every fishing season. In itself Temuka is a pleasant country town, with broad clean streets, and fresh water running in the side channels. It is well supplied with schools, churches, hotels, and livery stables. Many of the buildings are in brick, and the shops are supplied with articles equal to those to be seen in the larger centres of population. There are two doctors, two chemists, and one dentist in the town, which has a well kept park and domain, with a bicycle track, and tennis, cricket and football grounds. The post and telegraph office and the courthouse are built in brick. A large amount of business is transacted at the local railway station and the goods sheds. At the census taken on the 31st of March, 1901, Temuka had a population of 1,465; 767 males, and 698 females.
The Temuka Borough Council meets in the Council Chambers on the first Wednesday in each month. There is a population of 1465 in the borough, which is assessed at a capital value of £87,300. This page 900 carries a general rate of one penny and a-half in the pound. There are 571 ratepayers. Members for 1903: Messrs T. Buxton (Mayor), R. V. Phillips, C. A. Battes, T. King, G. W. Armitage, D. McInnes, D. Henry, H. Lee, J. Brown, and J. Holwell. Mr E. Cutten is Town Clerk.
His Worship The Mayor, Mr. Thomas Buxton, has been a member of the Temuka Borough Council since its formation in 1899. He is a son of Mr. S. Buxton, formerly member of the House of Representatives for Rangitata; was born in Lincolnshire, England, in 1863, and arrived in New Zealand in 1865. After receiving his education at the public schools in the vicinity of Christchurch, he was engaged as a clerk in the Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association stores at Timaru, and subsequently as a book-keeper in the office of a well-known Temuka merchant. In 1892 he commenced business on his own account as a grain and produce merchant in Temuka. Mr. Buxton was married to a daughter of Mr. E. Brown, of Temuka, in April, 1898. He was elected Mayor in 1802, in succession to Major Hayhurst, who resigned to make a prolonged visit to Europe.
Councillor David Henry is one of the original members of the Temuka Borough Council, as he was first elected when the Town Board merged in to the Council in 1899, and was returned at the election of 1901. Councillor Henry has done much to bring the Temuka fire brigade up to its present efficiency, as he has been its captain for seventeen years. He has also taken a considerable interest in the Caledonian Society, of which he has been vice-president for ten years, and was president for two years. Councillor Henry was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, in 1849, and educated at a private school at Kattins. He was subsequently trained as a blacksmith, and followed his trade in different parts of Scotland till 1870, when he left for New Zealand. On the 12th of November, in that year, he arrived in Temuka, and immediately established the smithy which he still conducts. Mr. Henry was married, in 1872, to Miss A. Robertson, also a native of Scotland, and there is a family of five sons and two daughters.
Councillor Holwell was elected to the Temuka Borough Council in September, 1902, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Mr. J. A. McCaskill, and was re-elected in 1903. He is referred to in another article as the owner of Seadown Farm, Seadown.
Councillor Henry Lee has been associated with the local government of Temuka since 1893, when he was elected a member of the Temuka Town Board. Six years later, he took a prominent part in bringing the borough into existence. At the completion of this change he was elected a member of the council, and still holds a seat.
Councillor R. V. Phillips, Member of the Temuka Borough Council, was elected in April, 1903. He is referred to in another article as proprietor of the Crown Hotel.
Mr. Edward Cutten, J.P., Clerk of the Temuka Borough Council, was born at Dunedin in 1862, and is a son of the late Mr. W. H. Cutten, and grandson of the late Captain Cargill. He was educated partly at Dunedin and partly in England, and has had business training as a banker, having for many years been in the Bank of New South Wales. Mr. Cutten married Mrs Mendelson, widow of the late Mr. Julius Mendelson, who was one of the most prominent residents in Temuka. He is further referred to in the Military section of this volume as Quartermaster of the South Canterbury Infantry Battalion.
Mr. E. Cutten.
The Temuka Road District extends from the Rangitata river to the Opihi. It is bounded on the east by the ocean, and comprises some of the finest land in Canterbury. The ratable vale is estimated at £756,794, with a rate of three farthings in the pound. Mr. John Talbot is chairman of the Board, and the other members are Messrs John Airey, Peter Coira, Alexander Bissett, and Daniel McCaskell; with Mr. E. B. Cooper as seceretary and overseer.
Mr. Peter Coira, Member of the Temuka Road Board, was born at Compo, in Italy, in 1845. He left his native land for England in 1858, was there for five years, then came to Lyttelton by the “Cosipore,” in 1864, travelling all over the province, and being engaged at most of the mining centres in Otago, In the beginning of 1866 he came to Temuka and worked at the Royal Hotel. When Major Young, the proprietor, removed to Winchester in 1869, Mr. Coira was engaged at the Crown Hotel, where he remained until 1872. He then went to Winchester, and remained there until 1875, when he returned to Temuka as manager of the Royal Hotel for Mrs. Heap, and was there until 1879. He then took a trip to the Old Country, and on his return, in 1880, became the licensee of the Royal Hotel. In 1885, he took the Wallingford Hotel, remaining there until 1890. In the meantime, the Royal Hotel, which he had leased to a tenant, fell into his hands. It was destroyed by fire in 1894, and was rebuilt in a very handsome style. Mr. Coira was for a time out of active business, but has never ceased to take an interest in local affairs. He is a member of the Acclimatisation Society and Angling Club, and acts as judge at competitions; and is one of the oldest volunteers in the Colony, having joined the Temuka Rifles in 1869, and passed into the reserve in 1895 with the rank of colour-sergeant. He has received the long service and Imperial medals. Mr. Coira was also for a time an active member of the Temuka Volunteer Fire Brigade. In 1898, he represented the brigade at the Auckland conference and demonstration. He was married in 1883 to Miss Watt, and has had three sons and one daughter. His daughter died on the 19th of June, 1903. Mr. Coira is referred to in another article as proprietor of the Royal Hotel, Temuka.
Mr. P. Coira.
Mr. Edward Binion Cooper, Secretary and Overseer to the Temuka Road Board, was born in Poverty Bay, in 1853, and arrived in Canterbury in 1862. In his earlier years he was employed in contracting and road making, until his appointment as secretary and overseer to the Mount Somers Road Board; a position he filled for fourteen years. In 1898 he received his present appointment from the Temuka Road Board, and holds a similar position on the South Orari River Board. Mr. Cooper was a member of the Bushside school committee, previous to his arrival in Temuka. He is a member of the Primitive page 901 Methodist church, is married, and has a family of four children.
Mr. and Mrs E. B. Cooper and Children.
The Post And Telegraph Office at Temuka is a handsome two-storey building fronting the main street. It was opened by Sir Joseph Ward in June, 1902, to replace the old building. The ground floor is devoted to the public offices, and the upper storey is occupied as a residence by the postmaster.
Mr. A. A. Winterburn, Postmaster at Temuka, was born at Nelson, and entered the Government service as a cadet in the telegraphic department at Wellington. He was postmaster, registrar and clerk of the Magistrate's Court at Charleston, and postmaster at Arrowtown and Kaitangata, before receiving his present appointment in 1902.
The District High School at Temuka was built in 1881, and is divided into seven large class rooms. All the usual subjects are taught, and tuition is also given in the higher branches if required. The school has an average attendance of 346; 200 boys and 146 girls.
Mr. Murdoch McLeod, B.A., Headmaster, was born in South Canterbury, and educated at Pleasant Point, Orari, temuka, and at the Timaru High School. He became a pupil-teacher at the Temuka school in 1886, and graduated B.A. at the Otago University in 1896. In that year he became headmaster of the Timaru South school, and received his present appointment in 1898.
St. Peter's Church, Temuka, is a handsome stone building which was erected in 1899 to replace the old wooden church, which had been destroyed by fire. The interior of the church is decorated with a handsome stone pulpit, a gift in memory of the late Mrs Hayhurst, and a stone font given by Mr. and Mrs Rooke, of Temuka. It has seating accommodation for 300 persons, and services are held twice every Sunday. Services in connection with the parish are also held at the church of St. John the Evangelist at Winchester, and at the Orton, Seadown, and Waitohi schools. There is an efficient choir.
The Rev. J. M. Adcock, M.A., Vicar of Temuka, was born in Tamworth, Staffordshire, England, and received his education at Tamworth grammar school. He came to New Zealand in 1889, studied under the late Bishop Suter, and was ordained deacon in 1890, and priest in 1892, when he was appointed vicar of Brightwater and Waimea West. In 1893 he became incumbent at Motueka. Mr. Adcock returned to England in 1894, and entered St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, where he graduated B.A. in 1898 and M.A. in 1902. He was curate at St. Barnabas, Cambridge, from 1895 till 1898, and curate of Aston from 1898 till 1899. In 1899 he went to India as secretary to the British and Foreign Bible Society. After his return to New Zealand he was curate to Archdeacon Harper at Timaru, until he entered on his charge at temuka, in 1902.
St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Temuka, is a very substantial building in white stone from the banks of the Opihi river, Kakahu district. It stands on a two acre allotment facing Wilkin Street. For general design and interior decoration, it is one of the most noteworthy churches in Canterbury. On entering, one is vividly struck by the beauty of its stained-glass windows, which contain thirty-one full-size pictures of the greatest saints of the New and of the Old Testament. The building measures 118 feet in length by 43 feet in width, and can easily accommodate over 600 persons. It has a square tower, 60 feet high, surmounted by a spire of the same height, making a total height of 120 feet. The tower is thus a landmark in South Canterbury, and it can be seen from a distance of thirty-two miles. In the belfry, at the top of tower, there is a first-class peal of bells, which have been heard at twelve miles away. Under the belfry there is a beautiful tower clock, from Dent and Co., London, which strikes all the quarters and hours; the latter, under favourable circumstances of wind, being heard over six miles and the former at four miles. The erection of St. Joseph's church was begun in the year 1879 by Father Fauvel, and the first stone was blessed by his Lordship, Dr. Redwood, on the 16th of November, in the same page 902 year. The building was completed in the early part of 1881, and opened by Bishop Redwood, assisted by Bishop Luck, in April, 1882. The presbytery, standing to the right of the church, is a solid and large building in concrete; it was erected scarcely six months after the completion of St. Joseph's. The convent, a two-storey brick building, 40 feet square, was erected in 1898, and stands on a three acre freehold allotment, on the opposite side of Wilkin Street, where there is also the old church, a wooden building, which is now used as a schoolroom.
The Rev. Father Louis Fauvel. S.M., Rector of St. Joseph's, Temuka, is a native of Normandy, France. He obtained his primary education at St. Lo College, studied Theology at the great seminary of Constances, and was ordained in 1860. After several years spent in the ministry in France and ten years among the cannibals of Fiji, his health was completely broken down. Ordered by his superiors to a cooler climate, he came, in 1875, to New Zealand, laboured for fifteen months with the Rev. Father Goutenoire in the parish of the Sacred Heart at Timaru, and was then appointed parish priest of Temuka, where he has always been since and where, most likely, he will end his days.
The “Temuka Leader” (Jeremiah Matthew Twomey, Proprietor and Editor, Temuka). The “Temuka Leader” was established in 1877 by Mr. J. Ivess, who disposed of it a year later to Mr. Utting, a reporter on the staff of the “Lyttelton Times.” Mr. Utting carried it on for some time, and ultimately it fell into the hands of Mr. A. Wilson, a local storekeeper. The paper had not hitherto prospered, and it could not be expected that it would improve in the hands of an amateur journalist. When, therefore, it was purchased in 1881 by Mr. Twomey, its present proprietor, it had reached a very low ebb; but it soon became apparent that new life had been infused into it. The circulation went up rapidly, and the advertising columns, which had been made up of “dummies,” began to assume a healthier appearance. It was not long before other papers began to quote from its colums; some of its articles on the Home-Rule question found their way into Irish papers, and one of them became the subject of a debate in the House of Commons, as may be seen by referring to a book entitled “Home Rule,” by “Lex.” With regard to New Zealand polities, Its views have always been progressively Liberal, and consequently, very frequently in advance of current opinion. Since it became the property of the present proprietor, it has advocated the measures which the Ballance-Seddon Governments have passed into law, and has always been a consistent supporter of the Liberal party. The spirited and enterprising manner in which the “Temuka Leader” was conducted attracted attention in the neighbouring town and district of Geraldine, and towards the close of 1882, an influentially signed requisition reached Mr. Twomey asking him to remove his plant to that town. Mr. Twomey declined to do so, but on receiving a certain guarantee, he started the “Geraldine Guardian,” the first number of which appeared in April, 1883. Both papers are published tri-weekly, and are very popular in the districts in which they circulate.
Hon. Jeremiah Matthew Twomey, M.L.C., Editor and Proprietor of the “Temuka Leader” and “Geraldine Guardian,” is referred to elsewhere as a member of the Legislative Council.
Aspinall, William Gregson, Barrister and Solicitor, High Street, Temuka. P.O. Box 1. Private residence, “Kynnersley,” Mr. Aspinall is a Londoner by birth and came to New Zealand in 1875. He served his articles with the late Mr. B. C. Haggitt, Crown solicitor, Dunedin, and was admitted to the Bar in 1882 by Mr. Justice Williams; shortly afterwards he commenced practice in Temuka, and in 1889 took into partnership Mr. J. W. Salmond, now professor of law at Adelaide University. Mr. Aspinall has held several public offices, having been a member of the local road board and of the cemetery and park boards. He was one of the originators of the South Canterbury Acclimatisation Society and acted as secretary for some time; he is still a member of the council as well as solicitor for the society. Mr. Aspinall is the local representative of the Colonial Mutual Life Assurance Society, the South British Fire and Marine Insurance Company, and the New Zealand Accident Assurance Company.
Hayes, John Shaw, M.D., R.U.I., L.R.C.S.I. and L.M., Temuka. Dr. Hayes was born in Dublin, Ireland, educated at Trinity College, and qualified for his profession in 1876. He arrived in New Zealand in 1877, and has since practised at Temuka, where he has a private hospital under the superintendance of a trained nurse.
Warren, John Monteith, M.D. M.Ch. L.M. Queen's University, Ireland. Dr. Warren studied at Dublin, Galway, and Edinburgh, and qualified for the medical profession in 1874. Before coming to New Zealand he practised in New South Wales for a time, and finally settled at Temuka in 1898. Dr. Warren has been Home twice, for the purpose of studying the latest methods in connection with his profession.
The Medical Hall, Main Street, Temuka. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was established in 1899, by Mr. Eichbaum, a well known chemist of Timaru, who engaged Mr. W. H. Carl to conduct the pharmacy. In the succeeding year Mr. W. H. Carl purchased the business, which has steadily increased since it came into his possession. The premises are well stocked with a large assortment of drugs and druggists' sundries, as well as numerous popular proprietary preparations.
Mr. William Henry Carl, the Proprietor of the Medical Hall, was born in Christchurch in 1875, and educated at Christ's College, where he matriculated in 1893. Evincing a special liking for chemistry, he was apprenticed to Messrs Cook and Ross, of Christchurch, and in 1897 he took his diplomas as a duly qualified chemist. In 1898 he went to Sydney, where he spent eighteen months in some of the leading pharmacies. Mr. Carl turned to New Zealand towards the end of 1899. During his residence in Temuka he has taken considerable interest in various phases of active life, and is a member of several clubs.
The Bank Of New Zealand at Temuka is a two-storey building, of handsome design, and is situated in the main street of the town. The banking apartments are on the ground floor, and the manager's residence takes up the remainder of the building.
Mr. Walter Hudson Brown, Manager of the Bank of New Zealand, at Temuka, was born in Nelson and entered the service of the bank at Reefton, in 1877. He afterwards opened the Lyell agency, his service in both places together covered about five years. After a short term at relief duty he took the agency of the Charleston branch for about three years, and was appointed manager at Kumara in 1886. He was temporally in charge at St. Bathans, Otago, prior to receiving his present appointment in 1901. Mr. Brown became a Freemason at Reefton in 1879, was one of the Wardens of Lodge Kilwinning, Charleston, and is at present a member of Lodge St. George, Temuka. He has always taken a keen interest in sports and is now secretary of the Temuka Sports Association, and one of the directors of the Caledonian Sports Committee. While at Charleston he married Miss Dike, daughter of the late Charles Dike, architect, Melbourne.
Temuka Engineering Works (James Findlay, proprietor), Temuka. This extensive business was established in 1874 by Messrs Henry and Findlay, who began in a small way with a blacksmith's shop. After page 903 twelve years Mr. Henry retired, and Mr. Findlay became sole proprietor. Since its foundation the business steadily extended and the premises have been enlarged on two occasions, and seven hands are now employed at the works. General blacksmithing, engineering, and the repair of agricultural implements, engines, threshing mills, and agricultural machinery generally are all branches of the business. Duplicates of reapers and binders are kept in stock, and also assortments of all parts of agricultural implements. In the earlier days of settlement Mr. Findlay had a reputation for the manufacture of ploughs and harrows, for which he obtained numerous prizes at the various agricultural exhibitions.
Mr. James Findlay, Proprietor of the Temuka Engineering Works, is the only son of Mr. David Findlay, an old settler in the Temuka district, and came with his father to New Zealand, by the ship “Mermaid” in 1862. He learned his trade with the late Mr. Bryant, of Temuka, and with Mr. B F. Gray, engineer of the same town. In conjunction with Mr. Henry, he founded the business, which has now attained to a leading position in South Canterbury. Mr. Findlay has always taken an active part in the affairs of the town, and was a member of the old Town Board, before Temuka became a borough. He joined the Temuka Rifles in 1869, and held the commission of lieutenant from 1871 until his retirement in 1896, when he was placed on the honorary unattached list. As a Freemason Mr. Findlay is a Past Master of Lodge St. George. Temuka. Mr. Findlay is married and has a family of three children. His eldest son, Mr James Findlay, served in South Africa with the New Zealand Second and Eighth Contingents.
Clinch, Stephen, Contractor, Temuka. This old colonist was born in London in 1829, and has been in New Zealand for nearly forty years. He worked for Messrs Collard and Collard, piano manufacturers, for many years. After his arrival in the colony he worked on the Otago goldfields, where he was fairly successful. Later on he wont to Nelson, where he was connected with mining. Subsequently he removed to Temuka, where he started as a contractor and builder, and erected the chief buildings of the place, including the Bank of New Zealand, the English Church, Wesleyan Church, etc. Mr. Clinch has been a member of the Temuka Town Board. He was married in the Old Country, and has a family of eight sons, and one daughter.
Mr. S. Clinch.
Frew, Alexander. Builder, Temuka. Mr. Frew has been associated with the local government of Temuka since 1885. It was largely due to the energy of himself and a few others that the road board district of Temuka was, in that year, transformed into a town district, under the control of the Temuka and the Arowhenua Town Boards. On the completion of this change, Mr. Frew was elected a member of the Arowhenua Board, and since then he has, till lately, held a seat in the governing body of Temuka. Mr. Frew was Frew in Stirlingshire. Scotland, in 1843, and is a son of Sir. John Frew, farmer, of Kilsyth, Stirlingshire. He was educated at the Free Church school in the native district, and was trained as a joiner, a trade which he afterwards pursued for ten years in Glasgow. In 1874 Mr. Frew sailed from Glasgow for New Zealand, and early in 1875 he settled in Temuka, where he has since followed the trade of a builder.
Mr. A. Frew.
Gabites, A., Draper, Clothier and Outfitter, Timaru and Temuka; Manager of the Temuka branch, Mr. Cowper Lashlie. The Temuka branch of this extensive business was established in 1902 in large brick premises in Mendelson's buildings, near the post office. The main shop is lighted by a large plate-glass window, in which a well assorted stock of clothing, drapery and gentlemen's mercery is temptingly displayed. All goods are sold at precisely the same prices as those which prevail at the Timaru establishment. Every thing offered is of the best quality and of the latest prevailing fashion. The showroom is fitted with the latest novelties, and the boot and shoe department contains a large assortment of boots and shoes of colonial and European manufacture. Suits made to order from the best colonial and English tweeds can be supplied within a few days to fit to perfection, and finished in the best style of the trade. The business is conducted on purely a cash basis, and the management's motto is “Small profits and quick returns.”
Mr. Cowper Lashlie, Manager of the Temuka branch of the business of Mr. A. Gabites, is a native of Durham, England, and gained his business experience in some of the large leading business establishments in England. He came to New Zealand in 1900, and after gaining colonial experience in Christchurch, was appointed to his present position in 1903. Mr. Lashlie has always taken an active part in the cause of temperance and other philanthropic movements, and has for some years been a member of the Order of Rechabites. He has patented a[gap — reason: illegible] combined hat-and-clothes-brush, and has received tempting offers in England, and New Zealand, for his patent rights, but has reserved to himself the sole right to sell the brushes in Canterbury. Prices and terms can be obtained from him, on application, at Temuka.
Mr. C. Lashlie.
Rissel, Emile. Tailor, Main Street. Temuka. This flourishing business, which is now carried on in spacious brick premises, was established in 1899. The stock, which is page 904 imported from the leading European markets, is most carefully chosen, and comprises the latest novelties in tweeds and other cloths, with a splendid assortment of trimmings The style and fit from this establishment are equal to those of the leading tailoring houses in the principal centres. Owing to Mr Rissel's workmanship, his business has from the first gone on increasing, and new and larger premises are about (1903) to be erected by the enterprising proprietor.
Mr. Emile Rissel was born in France, and came with his parents to Lyttelton, New Zealand, by the ship “Waitangi.” He was apprenticed to his trade at Timaru, and was afterwards employed by some of the leading tailors in Wellington. In 1894 Mr. Rissel went to France, and was employed for twelve months at one of the largest military tailoring establishments at Rennes, where he acquired a thorough experience in the art of cutting. On his return to New Zealand he entered the employment of Mr. Slater, tailor, Wellington. He afterwards began business on his own account at Timaru, and formed his present flourishing business at Temuka in 1899. As a Freemason Mr. Rissel is a member of Lodge St. George, and he is also a member of the Timaru Garrison Band.
Mr. E. Rissel.
The Crown Hotel (R. Vyse Phillips, proprietor), Temuka. This is a fine two-storey brick building, opposite the post office and courthouse, and has long enjoyed the reputation of being one of the most comfortable hotels in the district. It is a favourite with commercial men, and also with anglers, as it is only half-a-mile from the Temuka and Opihi rivers, both celebrated for the number and size of their trout. The house is furnished with good taste, in a way that promotes comfort, and the various rooms are large and lofty. Files of all the leading papers are available in the commercial room, and the sitting room and suites of private apartments are extremely comfortable. A well laid out flower garden, beautifully kept, adjoins the hotel, as well as a fruit and vegetable garden. The bathroom has hot and cold water, and a shower, and the offices are on the septic principle. Only the best wines, spirits, and cigars are kept at the Crown Hotel, which has a well maintained reputation in that connection. Livery and bait stables adjoin the hotel, and vehicles of all kinds can be supplied at a minte's notice for picnics, fishing, or wedding parties; and there are large sample rooms for the use of commercial men on the premises.
Mr. R. Vyse Phillips, the Proprietor of the Crown Hotel, has had experience as a commercial traveller, and was formerly manager of the Royal Hotel, Christchurch. He was born at Bristol, and educated at the Commerical Travellers' School, Pinner, London. In 1883 he came to New Zealand and was representative of Messrs Edwards, Bennett and Co., Christchurch, Messrs. J. Kitchen and Sons, and Apollo Company, Limited, Dunedin, and for Messrs Trent Bros., Christchurch. After sixteen years of commercial life, he retired from the road in 1899. For three years he managed with great popularity and success, the Royal Hotel, Christchurch. In 1902 he obtained a long and favourable lease of the Crown Hotel, Temuka. On taking possession, he renovated the hotel through out, and has made it one of the most popular hotels in Canterbury. His long experience as a traveller makes Mr. Phillips an ideal host. He always took a great interest in matters connected with the social welfare of commercial travellers, and was one of the promoters of the New Zealand Commercial Travellers' and Warehousemen's Club, Dunedin. Mr. Phillips married Miss Carl, daughter of Mr. John Carl, so long a leading hotelkeeper in Christchurch. Mr. Phillips was elected a member of the Temuka Borough Council in 1903.
Royal Hotel (Peter Coira, proprietor), Temuka. This hotel, to which extensive additions and improvements have recently been made, is now recognised as one of the best in Canterbury. It is built of brick, is two stories in height, contains twenty-seven rooms. and is surrounded on two sides by an exceptionally fine balcony. The commercial room, several private sitting rooms, and a spacious dining room, capable of accommodating eighty guests, are on the ground floor. A broad, handsomely carpeted staircase, page 905 lighted by a large roof-lantern, leads to the second floor. Two luxuriously furnished sitting rooms occupy the front portion of the second floor, and open through French windows to the balcony, whence visitors can enjoy a lounge, and extensive views of plain and hill. Large, well furnished bedrooms, with single and double beds occupy the whole right wing of the premises, and are furnished with the same luxury that distinguishes the other portions of the house. Hot, cold, shower, and vapour baths are always at the service of the visitors. The cookery, to which great attention is paid, is of the highest class, and the dining room is constantly supplied with all seasonable delicacies and luxuries. Careful provision has been made to prevent fire, and to ensure escape in the case of its occurrence, and all the interior walls have been plastered, The “Royal” has long enjoyed the reputation of a first class hotel, but the completion of the new premises has increased its popularity and made it one of the most up-to-date hotels in the Middle Island. It is patronised by tourists, anglers, commercial men, and travellers generally. The cellar and bar are stocked with the choicest wines, liquors, and cigars, and the proprietor is known as a connoisseur in the choice of liquors. Large and well lighted sample rooms adjoin the premises. The Temuka and the Opihi rivers, two of the best fishing streams in Canterbury in respect to the size and number of trout, are only about half a mile from the Royal Hotel, which is the headquarters of the Anglers' Association. Mr. Coira, the proprietor, has long been known in Temuka as a popular landlord and enterprising townsman, and is assisted by Mrs Coira, who superintends the domestic arrangements of the hotel, and studies in every way the comfort of her guests. Mr. Coira is referred to in another article as a member of the Temuka Roard Board.
Mr. W. J. Donovan, formerly Proprietor of the Royal Hotel, is a son of Mr. C. Donovan, an early settler in New Zealand. He was born in Kaiapoi in 1865, and was at sea for about ten years, during which he was engaged chiefly in the Australasian trade. In 1884 he took a trip to England, and on returning went to the West Australian goldfields. He, however, came back to New Zealand, and took over the Royal Hotel in 1898. He is a member of the Alexandrovna Lodge of Oddfellows, and a member of the Tuscan Lodge of Freemasons, Sydney, New South Wales. In 1898, he married Miss Dempsey, of Christ-church.
Mr. John J. Rainbow, Proprietor, is a son of Mr. William Rainbow, cordial manufacturer, South Belt, Christchurch, and was born at Bombay, India, in 1871. Ten years later he accompanied his parents to New Zealand. After leaving school at Christchurch he entered the employment of Messrs Bowron Bros., tanners, Woolston and Christchurch. He remained five years with that firm, and then joined his father at his cordial factory. In 1900 he entered the ranks of the hotel-keepers, and for twelve months kept the Cave Rock Hotel at Sumner. Mr. Rainbow then removed to Temuka, where he entered into possession of the Wallingford Hotel. Since his arrival in Temuka Mr. Rainbow has identified himself with the affairs of the town He is a member of the school committee, and as a Freemason he is secretary of Lodge St. George, No. 29, New Zealand Constitution. He is also a Druid and an Oddfellow. Mr. Rainbow was elected a member of the Temuka Borough Council in 1902. He is married, and there is a family of two children.
Rooney, Thomas, Fellmonger, Temuka, Mr. Rooney was born in Kerry, Ireland, in 1849, and was brought up to agricultural work. In 1868, he came to New Zealand in the ship “James Nicol Fleming,” and landed at Port Chalmers. After working for five years on the Otago goldfields, where he was very successful, he went to Temuka, where he and another colonist began the present business, and they subsequently started a similar business near Fairlie. The partnership was, however, dissolved, and Mr. Rooney conducted the two businesses for five years, when he sold the Fairlie branch. He still carries on his business at Temuka. Mr. Rooney has taken an active interest in sporting matters, and has owned and bred several race horses. In 1870 he married Miss Margaret Flint [sic], of Temuka, and has three sons.
Clinch, Thomas Henry, Seedsman and Florist, Temuka. Mr. Clinch was born in London in 1855, and accompanied his father, Mr, Stephen Clinch, to New Zealand in the sixties. For two years he worked in the office of the “Nelson Examiner,” and afterwards served an apprenticeship to the tailoring trade. He subsequently travelled all over the colony, but settled down to business as a tailor in Temuka in 1876, and carried on successfully for eighteen years. Mr. Clinch has always taken a very active interest in horticultural matters, and has won 720 prizes at horticultural shows. At a recent winter show in Christchurch, he promoted and arranged the exhibit of the Temuka Road Board, which won the first-prize. Some years ago Mr. Clinch started in business in Temuka as a seedsman and florist. He is the local agent for Messrs Nimmo and Blair, of Dunedin, for seeds and nursery goods. Mr. Clinch has always taken an active part in social and public affairs; he has been a member of the Temuka school committee, and has also been a Forester and an Oddfellow. He was married, in 1883, to Miss. Elizabeth Barrett, of Temuka, and has two sons and three daughters.
Temuka Flour Mills (W. G. Aspinall and W. P. Routledge, proprietors), Temuka. These mills, situated about one mile and a half from Temuka, were established by Mr. J. T. M. Hayhurst in 1889, and became the property of Mr. W. G. Aspinall in conjunction with Dr. J. S. Hayes; they are now owned by Mr. A. E. G. Rhodes, of Christchurch, the mining being carried on by Messrs Aspinall and Routledge. The mill is fitted with a complete roller plant on Simon's system. The motive power is supplied with water which drives a turbine wheel. The milling capacity of the plant is five sacks of flour per hour. The firm's brand “Lustrous Gem” is well and favourably known, not only locally, but throughout the Colony. The brick grain, store in Temuka in connection with the mills, is a building measuring 120 feet by 33 feet, with storage capacity for 30,000 sacks.
Mr. William Plyer Routledge, one of the Proprietors of the Temuka Flour Mills, and manager of the works, was born at Stotfold Baldock, Herts, England, in 1861, and served his apprenticeship at the Astwiek Flour Mills, in Bedfordshire. On completing his indentures he went for a twelve months' trip through America, picking up information and acquiring a greater knowledge of his trade by visiting and inspecting some of the great mills of that country. In 1884, he came to New Zealand, and soon after arrival received an engagement with the Timaru Flour Milling Company, where he remained for three years. On the establishment of the Temuka Flour Mills by Mr. J. T. M. Hayhurst, he Was appointed to supervise the erection of the milling plant and to act as miller. He remained in the mill for two years, when he left and went to Australia, and was engaged by Messrs Norman and Co., of Adelaide, to take charge of their mill. After a period of some eighteen months, he returned to New Zealand, and in conjunction with Mr. W. G. Aspinall, took over the Temuka Flour Mills. He acts as miller, whilst Mr. Aspinall looks after the other part of the business. His private residence is adjacent to the mill, and is, like the mill, lighted by electricity.
Mr. W. P. Routledge.
Livery Bait And Veterinary Stables (Arthur Story, proprietor), Temuka. These new and spacious stables are situated within a short distance of the railway station and post office, and adjoin the offices of the Road Board. Single and double buggies, waggonettes, wedding carriages and saddle horses are kept on hire, and arrangements can be made by either letter or telegram for picnic parties. Tourists can arrange for either weekly or daily services, with or without a guide. A thoroughly qualified veterinary surgeon attends the stables, and can be daily communicated with, if required A groom sleeps on the premises, an express attends all the trains, prompt attention is paid to all the requirements of travellers, and the motto of the proprietor is, “Moderate charges.”
Mr Arthur Story came with his father and brothers to New Zealand by the ship “Canterbury.” He first went to Banks' Peninsula page 907 with his father, to work on the estate of the late Mr. R. H. Rhodes, and afterwards served an apprenticeship at the well known stables of Mr. Webb, of Riccarton. During his early days he was a most successful jockey, and rode some of the old historical racehorses of Canterbury. He was for three years at Mr. Delamain's stables at Templeton, and about 1883 removed to Temuka, where he has since been connected with the livery and bait stable business. For years he was proprietor of the Crown stables, but owing to some business changes in connection with them he built his present commodious and well equipped premises. Mr, Story married Miss Hawkins, daughter of Mr. Richard William Hawkins, sometime of Yaldhurst, but now of Woolston, one of the early colonists, who arrived at Lyttelton by the “Sir Edward Paget.”