The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Mount Peel. This station is the property of the Hon. J. B. A. Acland who is referred to at page 87 of this volume as an ex-member of the Legislative Council. The property consists of 5000 acres of freehold and about 100,000 acres of leasehold land, and carries 45,000 Merino and halfbred sheep. The improvements include a mansion house built in 1864, of bricks burnt on the place, and of stone from Mount Somers, and roofed with slates. There are fine gardens, lawns, and grounds, all laid out with great taste on a naturally beautiful site on the south bank of the Rangitata. The plantations of hard wood are among the most valuable in the colony.
Mr. O. Scott Thomson, who has been Manager of Mount Peel Station since 1894, was born at Papanui and educated at Christ's College. He served two years in a bank, but subsequently relinquished office work for station life. Mr. Thomson was at Hopefield for three years; he was appointed manager of “Glenwye” in 1886, and held the position till 1893. He was married, in 1898, to Miss Lucy Acland, fourth daughter of the Hon. J. B. A. Acland.
Mr. O. S. Thomson.
Thew, Robert, Sheepfarmer, Peel Forest. Mr. Thew was born at Lemington-on-Tyne, Northumberland, England, in 1841. His father was employed at Stephenson's Railway Works, but owing to ill-health, had to give up his occupation. He then engaged in farming two miles out of Newcastle. Mr. Thew was sent to a private school, but owing to the death of his father he went home when thirteen years of age to assist in working the farm, and was thus engaged until he reached the age of seventeen. He was then connected with shipping work for four years at North Shields. In 1861 Mr. Thew came to New Zealand by the “Matoaka,” and landed at Lyttelton. He then went to Timaru, where he stayed for one year on a cattle station. Subsequently Mr. Thew took up contracting, which he followed for sixteen years in the South Canterbury district, and then settled down at Peel Forest, where he still carries on his farm. He was elected a member of the Timaru Harbour Board in 1895. Mr. Thew has been a member of the Mount Peel Road Board for nineteen years, and has been chairman of the school committee several times. He was created a Justice of the Peace in 1897. Mr. Thew married Miss Harris, daughter of an old settler of Timaru, and has a family of five sons and two daughters.
Mr. R. Thew.