The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Geraldine, in the county of Geraldine, is a prosperous little town with a population of about 870 persons. The surrounding district is really beautiful; it is favoured with an abundant water supply, has numerous roads in an excellent state of repair, and, being highly diversified in its nature and set against a background of rugged and picturesque mountains, offers many attractions to the visitor. Geraldine itself is often visited by picnic parties, to whom the chief centre of interest is a small reserve of magnificent native bush, the remnant of a forest which was formerly of considerable extent. Excellent fishing can be obtained in the Waihi river, adjoining the town, and in the many streams and rivers of the neighbourhood. The town is the centre of an extensive and fertile district, and its weekly sales of stock are among the most important in the province. Its founders have made ample provision for the recreation of its inhabitants, in the shape of a beautiful little park-like reserve, containing excellent cricket and tennis grounds, and a fine concrete swimming bath. All the principal religious denominations have churches in the town; there is a fine District High School of 220 pupils, a library with a free reading room, a bank, and a post and telegraph office. Geraldine is about five miles from Orari railway station, connection with which is maintained by coaches which meet every train. The adjacent farming districts are very prosperous, and large crops of oats and wheat are raised at Pleasant Valley, Woodbury, and Hilton. Some of the yields amount to eighty bushels of oats and sixty of wheat, per acre. The downs, which spread towards the mountain ranges, include some of the best sheep country in New Zealand, and are noted for their fattening qualities. The finances of the town are controlled by a Town Board. There is a good water supply, and the leading business places are lighted by acetylene gas.
Mr. Frederick Robert Flatman, Member of the House of Representatives for Geraldine, resides at “Summerlea,” about four miles from Geraldine. His farm contains between 900 and 100 acres. Mr. Flatman was born in the county of Suffolk, England, in 1843, and was educated at High House School, Oulton. He was brought up to farming on his father's farm, where he remained until he left for New Zealand in 1862, when he came out by the “Mary Ann,” to Lyttelton. Shortly after his arrival he went to South Canterbury, and was on Mr Cox's station for some months. In 1865 he went into business as a storekeeper in Geraldine, and carried on in that line for six months. Afterwards he joined Mr. Robert Taylor in a sawmilling business and in farming, and also had the general store at Woodbury. In 1892 the partnership was dissolved, and Mr. Flatman has since then carried on farming at “Summerlea,” where he keeps sheep and grows grain. In 1876 Mr. Flatman was a member of the South Canterbury Board of Works and was for nineteen years without a break a member of the Geraldine Road Board. He was also for eight years a member of the Timaru Harbour Board. He is a Master Mason, and belonged to the first Geraldine lodge. In 1893 he was asked by the electors to stand for the representation of Pareora in Parliament. To this request he acceded, and was elected by a majority of 216 in preference to Mr. A. E. G. Rhodes. In 1896 the alterations in the boundaries of the district led to the name being changed to Geraldine. Mr. Flatman and Mr. Rhodes stood again, and Mr. Flatman was again elected in 1896, by a majority of 211. At the general election held on the 6th of December, 1899, he had two opponents, but was returned by a majority of 1556. His opponent at the general election of November, page 873 1902, was Mr. W. S. Maslin, and the votes were—Flatman, 2275; Maslin, 1303.
Mr. F. R. Flatman.
Mr. William Stephen Maslin, Geraldine, who represented the Rangitata electorate in Parliament from 1893 to 1896, was born at Brentford, Middlesex, England. He came to New Zealand with his parents in the ship “Maori,” and landed at Lyttelton on the 21st of July. 1858. Mr. Maslin, senior, went to Timaru in December of that year, and was followed by his family early in 1859. Mr. Maslin was in the timber and building trade, and was, therefore, connected with many of the earlier erections in Timaru. In 1861 the family removed to Geraldine, where Mr. Maslin, senior, opened a timber yard. Steam was not then applied in the district to cutting timber, and the supply was kept up by from six to eight pairs of hand sawyers. On the 21st of June, 1864, Mr. Maslin, senior, was killed while bricking a well on his property, and left a family of two sons and three daughters. From that date Mr. W. S. Maslin, the eldest of the family, took charge of affairs; and when hand-sawing gave place to steam power, a large general store was added to the business. On the bush being cut out, storekeeping occupied Mr. Maslin's attention, until, in 1883, he sold out his business, which had grown to a large and prosperous one, to Mr. N. Dunlop. Mr. Maslin then continued in business as an auctioneer in Timaru and Geraldine. In 1892 he discontinued his auctioneering, but kept on the land and agency branch of the business. Mr. Maslin farms between five and six hundred acres of land, and commenced farming as early as 1860, when the ploughing was done with bullocks and a single-furrow plough. He grew the first crops in the now-famed grain growing district of Geraldine. In 1872 he was elected a member of the Geraldine school committee, on which he remained for many years, and was chairman for five consecutive years. In conjunction with Mr. Pierpoint he was one of the founders of the Geraldine Town District, and was a member of the Town Board for twelve years, until he entered politics. He was also a member of the licensing committee for many years. In 1893 he was elected a member of the House of Representatives, but did not stand at the next general election. Mr. Maslin was one of the founders of the first Good Templar Lodge in the district, and has always taken a great interest in the cause of temperance. Since 1868 Mr. Maslin has taken an active part in the working of the Methodist Church at Geraldine; and for some years the meetings of the congregation were held in his mother's house. His mother died in 1887. In 1879 Mr. Maslin became a Freemason by joining the Southern Star Lodge No. 619 E.C., and is also a member of the Oddfellows' Lodge. Mr. Maslin was married, in 1873, to Miss Hannah Clough, daughter of the late Mr. M. Clough, of Sandietown, Timaru, and has a family of four sons and four daughters.
Mr. W. S. Maslin.
Mr. William Postlethwaite, who represented Geraldine in the House of Representatives for 1882–1884, and was at one time the proprietor of the Raukapuka station, was born at Broughton-Furness, Cumberland, England. He was for many years High Sheriff of Cumberland. Mr. Postlethwaite came to New Zealand in 1872 and first settled at Opawa, but afterwards removed to Riccarton. In 1875 he purchased the Raukapuka station. Mr. Postlethwaite retired from public life and leased the property to Mr. M. C. Orbell, its present occupier. He took a keen interest in public affairs and always did his utmost to promote the progress of the district. Mr. Postlethwaite now resides in California. He has a family of three sons, and Mr. Arthur Herbert Postlethwaite, the youngest son, resides in Geraldine. The other sons reside in California.
Mr. W. Postlethwaite.
The Geraldine County Council, meets at Geraldine on the third Thursday in each month. At the census of 1901 the county had a population of 5991. It has an area of 9458 square miles, and the capital value of property within its boundaries is £1,805,429. There is a general rate of one farthing in the pound, and there are also special rates in several water supply districts; for instance, the interest on the water supply loan for the Rangitata-Orari district is three-eighths of a penny in the £, in the Woodbury district, seven-sixteenths of a penny, the Orari-Waihi district, one penny and one-sixth, the Geraldine Flat district, one penny, and in the Waitohi Flat district, nine-sixteenths of a penny. The members of the Council are Mr. John Talbot (chairman), and Messrs G. J. Dennistoun, Anthony Metcalf, William Dixon, Samuel Wright, R. B. Macdonald, and A. Kelman. Mr. F. W. Stubbs is clerk to the council.
Councillor John Talbot, J.P., Chairman of the Geraldine County Council, was born in Devonshire, England, on the 14th of September, 1845. He emigrated to New Zealand in company with his father and mother and the rest of the members of the family, in January, 1862, by the ship “Zealandia” (Captain Foster), and arrived in Lyttelton on the 24th of May. After about two years of farm work near Rangiora he, in partnership with his brother George, and cousin, Mr. J. T. Wright, commenced farming at Springston, and, later, in the Selwyn district. The partnership was dissolved in 1869, Mr. Wright retaining the Selwyn farm. Mr. Talbot, with his brother, removed to Temuka, and took up land at Rangitira Valley, where he has since resided; his brother buying land and settling near Timaru. In addition to the farm at Rangitira, Mr. Talbot page 874 has also land at Fairlie, both places being devoted to the production of grain and sheep. He has taken an active part in local politics, and is at present chairman of the South Canterbury Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, the Temuka Road Board, a member of the Board of Education and of the High School Board of Governors; and is also chairman of directors of the South Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association. Mr. Talbot has been twice married, and has a family of twelve sons.
Mr. J. Talbot.
Councillor Alexander Kelman, Of the Geraldine County Council, was born in 1832 at Kay Head Farm, St. Fergus parish, Buchan, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, where he was educated and brought up to the plasterer's trade. He came to Port Chalmers in the ship “Selena” in 1864, and afterwards went to Lyttelton. After a short time in Christchurch he took up a farm of fifty acres in the Geraldine district. Mr. Kelman lost everything in the flood of 1868, but made a fresh start, and now owns several farms; he resides at “Annfields” on the Geraldine road. He has been a member of the Geraldine Road Board for about nine years and is now a member of the Geraldine County Council; he was one of the first to assist in establishing schools at Geraldine and Temuka. Mr. Kelman was married at Fraserborough in Scotland, in 1861, to Miss Ann Davidson, second daughter of Mr. William Davidson, of Fraserborough, and has nine children. All his sons are farming on properties leased by their father.
Mr A. Kelman.
Mrs A. Kelman.
Mr. Francis Worcester Stubbs, Clerk and Treasurer to the Geraldine County Council, was born at Coventry, England, in 1835. He went to France with his parents when a child, remaining there till he left for New Zealand in 1852 in the ship “Samarang,” landing at Lyttelton. Afterwards proceeding to Timaru, he was for over four years and a half engaged on Messrs Rhodes' station, and was for two and a half years of the time sub-overseer. He then went to Pareora, where he was appointed by Messrs Harris and Innes manager of the Pareora station. After staying six years on the run, he went to Timaru, where he started the first auctioneering business in the town with Mr. John King for a partner, under the style of Stubbs and King. Mr. King afterwards retired from the firm, and Mr. Stubbs carried on the business for three years on his own account, when he gave it up. He then went in for valuing, and was appointed the first Government valuer for South Canterbury. In 1880, three years after the Geraldine County Council came into existence, Mr. Stubbs was appointed clerk and treasurer to the council. The monthly meetings page 875 of the council were held in Timaru until April, 1894, when the offices were transferred to Geraldine. Mr. Stubbs was for many years secretary to the Timaru Agricultural and Pastoral Society, and whilst residing in that town in the “sixties” he was for some terms a member of the Timaru Road Board, a member of the Timaru School Committee, and also took a prominent part in the formation of an Artillery Corps (C Battery), in April, 1868, and held the rank of lieutenant. He was one of the founders of the St. John's Lodge of Freemasons at Timaru, and had the honour of being the first Mason made by the lodge in June, 1865. Mr. Stubbs was gazetted a Justice of the Peace in 1898. He was married in 1865 to Elizabeth Sarah Crawley, of Preston, Victoria, and has six sons and three daughters. Mrs Stubbs took a keen interest in musical affairs, and was a leading member of the Timaru Choral Society.
Mr. F. W. Stubbs
The Geraldine Town Board meets on the first Tuesday in the month. It levies a rate of three farthings in the pound on a capital value of £45,000. At the census of 1901 the town district had a population of 868. The Board consists of a chairman and six members; namely, Mr. W. S. Maslin, chairman, and Messrs J. Farrell, I. Herlihy, R. Taylor, J. M. Sutherland, J. Kennedy, and Dr. Hislop; clerk, Mr T. Twigg.
Mr. John Mason Sutherland is a Member of the Geraldine Town Board. He was born in the Orkney Islands, in 1862, and came to New Zealand with his parents in 1863, by the ship “Metropolis.” The family resided at Little River for six years, when Mr. Sutherland, senior, went to Blueskin, where he settled down as a farmer. Young Sutherland worked on his father's farm till he was sixteen, when he went to Palmerston South, where he served his time to the general blacksmithing trade. He came to Geraldine in 1882, and worked for a time with Mr. C. Trengrove. When Mr. Trengrove gave up his business, Mr. Sutherland went into partnership in the wheelwright business with Mr. Newport. In 1889 he began to work on his own account and has ever since carried on the business. Mr. Sutherland was elected a member of the Town Board in 1892, and has been in office ever since. He is a member of the Cemetery Board and Domain Board and has been three years a member of the Geraldine school committee. He is also a member of the Independent Order of Good Templars. Mr. Sutherland married a daughter of Mr. Mark Coombes, an old settler of the district, and has a family of six children.
Mr. J. M. Sutherland.
Mr. Thomas Twigg, Clerk to the Geraldine Town Board, was appointed to his position in March, 1897. Mr. Twigg was born in Derbyshire, England, in 1851 and arrived in Geraldine in 1884. He was afterwards engaged in country work till he took up his present appointment.
The Geraldine Road Board has jurisdiction over a district with a population of 2250 persons. There are 480 dwellings, 511 ratepayers, and 833 ratable properties in the district. A rate of three farthings in the pound produces an annual revenue of £1896. Five members constitute the Board; namely, Mr. John Kelland, chairman, and Messrs A. V. McHutchinson, Kyran Brophy, A. Metcalf, and J. M. Barker. Mr. Thomas Dyer is overseer and clerk.
The Geraldine Fire Brigade has a station which is situated in the main street, opposite the Oddfellows' Hall. The Brigade meets once a fortnight and practises every alternate fortnight. It consists of fifteen members.
Mr. John McIlroy, Captain of the Geraldine Fire Brigade, was born at Rolleston, near Christchurch, in 1869. He was educated at Christchurch and Timaru and brought up to the jewellery and watchmaking trade, serving his indentures to Messrs Bower and Ferguson, jewellers of Timaru. He left that firm's service when he was twenty years of age and moved to Geraldine, where he established himself as a watchmaker and jeweller and fancy goods dealer. He was one of the first members of the brigade, which was formed in 1889, and was elected captain in 1896. Mr. McIlroy is connected with all the outdoor sports in the district.
The Geraldine Rifles. The Geraldine Rifles were first formed on the 17th of April, 1885, and their first officers were Captain Walter Montague Moore, Lieutenant George Ward and Lieutenant Robert Henry Pearpoint. Dr. Robert Fish was honorary surgeon, and the Rev. James Preston the honorary chaplain. In 1886, on the formation of the South Canterbury Rifle Battalion, Captain Moore was appointed Major. Lieutenant Pearpoint was then elected Captain, and Sergeant Kenneth Mackenzie, lieutenant. The first non-commissioned officers were Colour-Sergeant Thomas Hughes, Sergeants W. Stonehouse, Fred. Worner, A. Penny; Corporals Edward Hardcastle, George Porteous and Edwin Mellard. In 1890, Lieutenant George Ward resigned his commission, and Mr. B. R. Macdonald was appointed in his stead. When first formed the company was one of the smartest in the Battalion, and continued to do good work till the 11th of November, 1894, when, from various causes, the corps was disbanded. In 1898 there was a movement to re-establish the corps, and on the 5th of May, 1899, its services were again accepted; the officers being Captain Kenneth Mackenzie and Lieutenants John Rogerson Montgomery and Guy Macdonald. The corps started with its full strength of sixty-three officers and men, and is doing excellent work. Shortly after it was re-formed Lieutenant Macdonald resigned, and Mr. Ernest Edward Tasker was elected in his stead.
The Geraldine Public School is situated to the west of the main street and near the centre of the town. The school was first placed opposite Mr. Tasker's shop in Talbot street, but in 1891 the present building was erected on a three-acre section. It is built of wood and has five class rooms. The number on the roll is 268, page 876 and the average attendance, 220. The staff consists of the headmaster, Mr. J. R. Montgomery, M.A., Miss M. O. Pearson, infant mistress, Mr. James Ritchie, assistant master; and two pupil-teachers. Outdoor sports are encouraged by the staff.
Mr. John Rogerson Montgomery, M.A., the Headmaster, is the fourth son of the late Mr. Alexander Montgomery, for many years headmaster of the Normal school at Dunedin. He was born in Christchurch in 1866 and educated in Dunedin. In 1887, after a distinguished career at the Otago High School and University College, he obtained his M.A. degree. Mr. Montgomery was for nearly ten years teaching in the Dunedin High School, and in April, 1897, was appointed headmaster of the Geraldine school. He has been extremely successful in securing the healthy development of his pupils, by the introduction of suitable exercises, a branch of school work in which he is himself an expert; and the school has made such progress that its conversion into a District High School has been sanctioned. Mr. Montgomery takes a keen interest in all branches of athletics and in all institutions that make for right living; in athletics he is best known through having captained the Otago football representatives in 1891 and 1892.
Mr. J. R. Montgomery.
“Geraldine Guardian,” Geraldine. This is a tri-weekly paper, owned by the Hon. J. M. Twomey and managed by Mr. W. Thomas. Mr. Thomas was born in Dunedin in 1869 and worked for mercantile firms before he took to journalism, which he entered as a reporter on the “Morning Herald,” while that journal was in the hands of Mr. S. N. Brown. After the “Herald” collapsed, Mr. Thomas was on the staff of the “Globe,” when the late Mr. Freeman Kitchen was its editor. In 1891, he removed to Geraldine to take up his present position. In addition to managing the “Guardian,” Mr. Thomas carries on the business of a news agent and general commission agent, and represents the Christchurch “Press,” “Lyttelton Times,” “Timaru Herald,” and other papers. He is also proprietor of a book and stationery business. Mr. Thomas was married, in 1893, to the eldest daughter of Mr. R. Morrison, a well-known merchant of Geraldine, now living in retirement, and has a family of three.
The Apothecaries' Hall, Talbot Street, Geraldine. This well-known pharmacy dates its existence as far back as 1880. In that year it was established by Mr. Citron, who has since gone to Europe. From the date of its inception the business has been conducted by various qualified chemists, and, in 1898, was acquired by its present proprietor, Mr. William Baxter, formerly of Christchurch. The business has a well appointed dispensary and laboratory, and there is a heavy stock of drugs, druggists' sundries, proprietary medicines, toilet requisites, and surgical appliances.
The Executors Of The Late Mr. J. W. Pye (J. C. Moore, manager), Geraldine.
Mr. Joseph Charles Moore, Manager for the Executors of the late Mr. J. W. Pye, was born at Geraldine. He entered Mr. Pye's business in the capacity of clerk, in 1893, and held the position until he was appointed manager after Mr. Pye's death in April, 1903. Mr. Moore is a Freemason, and as such is a member of the Geraldine Lodge, of which he was secretary for two years. He is also an Oddfellow and was secretary of his lodge for five years. Mr. Moore is one of the directors of the Geraldine Building Society, and is also connected with numerous other local bodies. He is married, and has a family of one child.
The late Mr. J. W. Pye.
Turner, William Thomas, Hairdresser and Tobacconist, Talbot Street, Geraldine. This is the principal business of its kind in Geraldine, and was established in 1890 by Mr. Turner, who keeps a very good stock. He is an all round tradesman and has met with considerable success. The promises are situated in the business part of the town, and adjoin the Geraldine and Crown hotels. In addition to his large stock of cigarettes, Mr. Turner makes up a line, which he calls “Record Reign.” He was born in Birmingham, in 1865, and arrived in New Zealand with his parents in 1869, by the ship “Otago,” by which his father came out under engagement to the Washdyke Meat Preserving Company. Mr. Turner served his apprenticeship to the saddlery and sailmaking trade at Christchurch and Dunedin. He then went to Gore and started as a hairdresser and tobacconist with Mr. Gleeson. For twelve months thereafter, he travelled about till the opening of the Dunedin Exhibition, during which he worked in Dunedin, and then went to Geraldine and started his present business. He has taken a prominent part in sporting matters, and has had an interest in several trotters; the stallion “Young Berlin,” by “Berlin” belongs to him. Mr. Turner is married to a daughter of the late Mr. William Gibbs, an old colonist of Canterbury, and has five children. Mrs Turner was born at Woodend, Canterbury.
Mr. W. T. Turner.
Crown Hotel (John Farrell, proprietor), Talbot Street, Geraldine. Mr. Farrell came into possession of the Crown Hotel in 1890, and purchased the freehold in 1888. It is situated in the heart of the town and contains on the ground floor a bar, billiard room, four sitting rooms, commercial room, dining room which will seat about sixty guests, a kitchen, scullery, etc. There are bedrooms upstairs to accommodate twenty-four persons. At the rear of the premises there are stables with twenty-one stalls and four loose boxes. The best of everything is kept, five servants are employed, and the domestic management is in the capable hands of Mrs Farrell.
Mr. John Farrell, the Proprietor, was born at Umrigar, County Wicklow, Ireland, in 1862. He is the fourth son of Mr. James Farrell, farmer, and was educated at the national school, Carnew, and took his degree as a teacher under the National Board of Education in the year 1880. Subsequently he studied for two years at St. Patrick's College, Dublin. In 1884 he came to New Zealand by the s.s. “Aorangi,” and after landing at Port Chalmers proceeded to Geraldine where he stayed for a considerable time with his brother, who was then the licensee of the Crown Hotel. He received an appointment as a teacher at Shand's Track, near Christchurch, where he remained for two years, and then returned to Geraldine to take charge of the “Crown.” He is connected with all the local sporting clubs, and was for several years treasurer of the Geraldine Racing Club and St. Patrick's Sports Association. In 1890 Mr. Farrell was married at Temuka to Miss McShane, daughter of an old settler of Geraldine Flat, and has a family of three.
Mr. J. Farrell.
The Geraldine Family And Commercial Hotel (A. G. McLean, proprietress), Geraldine. This favourite hotel is the leading house in Geraldine, and is frequented by tourists, commercial men and the principal farmers in the district. The building, which has been enlarged and renewed is close to the saleyards, post office and other leading businesses, and the accommodation is all that can be desired, as all the rooms are well furnished and the bedrooms are large and airy. There is a billiard room with a large full-sized table and other suitable appointments, and there are several sample rooms on the premises for commercial men. The bar is stocked with a choice assortment of wines, spirits and cigars. There is good stabling adjoining the premises. The cookery is equal to that of leading hotels in the large towns. Fine scenery abounds in the surrounding district, the settlers are hospitable, and there is good trout fishing in the numerous rivers. Any one wishing to enjoy a short holiday, can do so at Geraldine with the greatest satisfaction. The roads are ideal roads for cycling, and they lead through varied and beautiful scenery of mountain, glen and river. Mrs McLean has had over sixteen years' experience in hotelkeeping, and is ever mindful of the comforts of her guests. In this she is ably assisted by Miss McLean, her only daughter.
Mr. J. Williams.
Bethune, George, Saddler and Harness Maker, Bicycle Agent, and Agent for the South British Insurance Company, Geraldine. This is the principal business of its kind in the district, and a large stock of saddlery and harness of all descriptions is kept. Mr. Bethune employs three hands in his saddlery business. He also does a large bicycle trade, and as he sells only the best of machines, and has a well equipped repair shop, and a thoroughly competent man in charge, he can undertake any kind of repairs. The shop has a frontage of about 36 feet and a depth of 40 feet. Mr. Bethune, the proprietor, is a native of Canterbury, and was born at Cracroft station, Rangitata, in 1866. His father was an old identity, who came to New Zealand under engagement to Sir Cracroft Wilson, and was drowned in the Rangitata in 1872. Mr. Bethune was educated at Geraldine, and served his time with Mr. N. Connolly, saddler of that town. He then went to Melbourne, where he was engaged in his trade for seven years. In 1892 he returned to New Zealand and bought out his former employer, Mr. Connolly, and started on his own account. The business was an old established one, and Mr. Bethune has maintained its prestige. He takes a great interest in outdoor sports, and is connected with all the local clubs, which are devoted to athletics. Mr. Bethune was married in Christchurch to Miss Walls, a daughter of the late Mr. W. Walls, of Sydenham.
Mr. G. Bethune.
Tasker, Ernest Edward, Butcher, Talbot Street, Geraldine. Mr. Tasker was born at Nelson in 1865, and is a son of Mr. James Tasker, the well-known butcher of Ashburton. He emigrated to Australia with his parents when he was a child and came to Nelson, New Zealand, when he was twenty-one years of age. On leaving school he went into business with his father until 1895, when he removed to Geraldine and started on his own account. He runs a cart and saddle horse and has two deliveries per day. While in Ashburton he was a Druid, but on coming to Geraldine he joined the local Oddfellows' Lodge. As a pigeon shot, Mr. Tasker is well known all over New Zealand and has won a large number of trophies; and has also in his time been an all round athlete. Mr. Tasker married a daughter of Mr. James Taylor, of Ashburton, and has a family of three. He was a prominent member of the Ashburton Gun Club, and of seven matches he won five.
Mr. E. E. Tasker.
The Canterbury Farmers' Cooperative Association, Geraldine Branch. This branch was established in 1892, and in consequence of the rapid increase of trade the present extensive site was bought in 1895. The main building is divided into departments, and the goods include agricultural implements, domestic utensils, and generally, all the commodities required in a farming centre. Mr. George Barkley Creemer, manager, entered the employment of the Association at its headquarters in 1890, and was promoted to his present position in 1901.
Dawson Brothers, General Storekeepers, Geraldine; branch, Woodbury. This firm began business in Geraldine about the year 1896, and, largely through practical experience begun in the Old Country and continued in the colony, it has succeeded in establishing a very extensive and very satisfactory connection. The business prospered so well, in fact, that in March, 1897, the firm acquired, as a branch, the general store formerly carried on at Woodbury by Mr. Flatman, M.H.R., and in November, 1898, it opened new premises in Geraldine. The building was designed by Mr. Turnbull, architect, of Timaru. It is 55 feet long by 28 feet wide, has three large plate glass windows in front, and inside is divided into an artistically fitted shop, show rooms and workrooms; the work of the dressmaking department has increased beyond expectation. Messrs Dawson Brothers enjoy a reputation page 879 for keeping first-class goods, and selling them at reasonable prices; and this, combined with their extensive experience and high character as business men, has led to their popularity and success at Geraldine and Woodbury.
Sherratt, Thomas, General Storekeeper, Talbot Street, Geraldine. Agent for the London and Lancashire Fire Insurance Company and for Zealandia Ranges. Mr. Sherratt is the eldest son of the late Mr. Amos Sherratt, who is referred to elsewhere in this work. He was born at Coventry, England, in 1852, and came with his parents to New Zealand in 1863 by the “Captain Cook,” to Lyttelton. Mr. Sherratt was educated in Christchurch at Christ's College, and was with his father for five years on the farm of “Rosedale,” near Leeston. He was engaged in teaching at the South Road school for some time, but gave up the position through failing health. Eventually he removed to Geraldine, where he entered Mr. Maslin's store as book-keeper. In the course of four years Mr. N. Dunlop purchased the business and Mr. Sherratt continued on with him as book-keeper for twelve years. When the premises were destroyed by fire in 1895, Mr. Sherratt started in business for himself as a general storekeeper. He is chairman of the Geraldine school committee and a member of the Town Board, and has held the positions for a number of years. Mr. Sherratt has taken great interest in musical matters, and when the Geraldine Choral Society was in existence he was its conductor, and still takes the conductorship at musical performances in the town. He is organist of the Presbyterian Church, and was bandmaster of the Geraldine Volunteer Band for seven years. Mr. Sherratt was married, in 1882, to a sister of Mr. W. S. Maslin, a very early settler in the district, and has three children.
Mr. T. Sherratt.