The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Greenpark is a dairyfarming and sheep grazing settlement within two miles of Lake Ellesmere, and seventeen miles from Christchurch on the Christchurch-Little River railway. It is in the county of Selwyn, and has a population of about 350 souls. The district consists of rich reclaimed swamp land extending on one side, from Tai Tapu almost to the borders of Lake Ellesmere, and, on the other from the base of the Peninsula Hills to the fertile districts of Lincoln and Springston. Dairying is one of the principal industries of the district, which has several creameries, and is also within a short distance of the Tai Tapu dairy factory. The district has numerous well kept roads, and at Lake Ellesmere, two miles away, sportsmen find good trout fishing and duck shooting. Greenpark is a closely settled district, and on account of the high price of land, the holdings are comparatively small, though there are several large farms. The district has some very good sheep country, especially along the north shores of Lake Ellesmere, and the birthrate in lambs sometimes reaches 150 per cent., and the wool is of excellent quality. Even the lighter portions of the cultivated land grow splendid barley, but the heavy land has been known to yield over 100 bushels of that grain to the acre. The district grows an excellent sample of Tuscan wheat, and oat crops yield as much as eighty bushels per acre. The root crops are also good. Sometimes the grass gets scorched up on the light land, but on the swampy ground there is always plenty of green pasture. Near the Greenpark railway station there is a public school, a creamery, and a blacksmith's shop, but no hotel; and the nearest churches are at Tai Tapu or Lincoln, about three miles distant.
Greenpark Creamery. This creamery was established in November, 1893, in connection with the Tai Tapu Dairy Factory. The plant consists of a four-horse power engine and boiler by Scott Brothers, of Christchurch; and two De Laval separators. In the height of the season over 1400 gallons of milk per day are utilised, and the supply comes from grade cows within a radius of four miles.
Mr. H. Mangles, Manager of the Greenpark Creamery, was born at Port Levy, Banks Peninsula, in 1866. During his earlier years he worked on his father's farm, but in October, 1892, he joined the staff at the Tai Tapu Dairy Factory as an assistant. Thirteen months later, when the Greenpark creamery was established, Mr. Mangles was appointed to his present position. Mr. Mangles has always taken an active interest in cricket. He was married, in 1897, to Miss McColl, of Greenpark.
Barnett, Thomas Robertson, Farmer, Greenpark. Mr. Barnett, who was born in Wiltshire, England, in 1845, is a son of late Mr. Jacob Barnett, and came to New Zealand, in 1851, by the ship “Bangalore,” with his father, who died at Tai Tapu in 1900. He started farming in 1888 on a farm previously purchased by his father, and page 675 consisting of 202 acres of rich fertile land, on which he conducts general farming. Mr. Barnett is one of the trustees of the Wesleyan church, and a member of the Greenpark school committee, and the Farmers' Union. He is a shareholder in the Farmers' Co-operative Association, and in the Belfast Freezing Works. Mr. Barnett married Miss Tobeck, daughter of Mr. Tobeck, of Tai Tapu, and has a family of two sons and three daughters.
Mr. T. R. Barnett.
Dulieu, Richard, Farmer, Greenpark. Mr. Dulieu is the only son of the late Mr. Dulieu, and was born in 1849, in London. He accompanied his parents to New Zealand, and, on his marriage, in 1877, succeeded to a portion of the property. His father then removed to another farm, and ultimately the son succeeded to the whole property. He has been for a number of years a member of the Greenpark school committee, is a member of the Farmers' Union, and a shareholder of the Tai Tapu Dairy Company. Mr. Dulieu is also one of the trustees of the Wesleyan church. He married Miss Wells, daughter of the late Mr. Richard Wells, one of the early settlers of Springston, and has four sons and three daughters.
Mr. and Mrs Dulieu and Family.
Hubbard, Frederick, Farmer, “The Poplars,” Greenpark. Mr. Hubbard was born in Kent. England, in 1862, and in 1881 joined his parents, who had previously arrived in Canterbury. His first colonial experience was with Mr. Robert Rainey, of Tai Tapu, and afterwards he started a contracting business in conjunction with his brother, Mr. E. G. Hubbard, of Southbridge. This they carried on for a number of years, during which Mr. F. Hubbard farmed on a comparatively small scale on his own account, but he gradually increased his operations. In 1900 he took a lease of the fine estate, known as “The Poplars,” formerly the property of the late Mr. Goodwin, and now of Mrs Goodwin, of Auckland. This estate, which consists of 500 acres, has long been known as one of the finest in the prosperous district of Greenpark. Mr. Hubbard carries on general cropping, dairying and sheepfarming. He leases another property of 400 acres, on which he runs about 1000 sheep. Mr. Hubbard has been a member of the Greenpark school committee for years, and is on the executive of the local Wesleyan church. He is one of the directors of the Tai Tapu Dairy Company, district chairman of the Farmers' Union, and also a member of the Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association, at the shows of which he has been an exhibitor. Mr. Hubbard married Miss Lloyd, of Greenpark, and there is a family of five daughters and four sons.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. F. Hubbard.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. J. Kimber.
McDonald, John, Farmer, “Belleville,” Greenpark. Mr. McDonald was born at Ruthven, Kingussie, Scotland, in 1836, and was educated at the public schools in the villages of Insh and Invernglas. He was brought up to farming, and was foreman on one of the best farms in the romantic district of Badenoch. In 1859 he emigrated to Australia in the ship “Broomielaw.” The discovery of gold in Otago attracted him to Gabriel's Gully in 1861. Four years later he went to the Westland goldfields, where he met with a fair share of success. In April, 1868, he took up the first portion of his land at Greenpark and commenced farming. The land was then covered with flax and raupo, and, in fact, Mr. McDonld found himself in the centre of a very inhospitable swamp. That, however, has all been changed, and Mr. McDonald now lives in a beautiful residence, with a garden, an orchard, plantations and paddocks around him. Mr. McDonald has served on the local road board and school committee. He is also society steward and trustee for the Wesleyan Church, and a local preacher. Mr. McDonald was married, in 1892, to Miss Magon, and has three daughters and one son.
Mr. J. McDonald.
Pannett, John Avis, Farmer, “Riverland,” Greenpark. Mr. Pannett is a son of the late Mr. Thomas Avis Pannett, who arrived in New Zealand by the ship “Lady Nugent” in 1851, and died at Springston in 1893. He was born in Sussex, England, in 1850, and came with his father to New Zealand in 1851. After leaving school he worked on his father's farm at Springston, until 1871, when he started farming on his own account at Dunsandel, where he remained for seven years. He then bought a farm of 1600 acres at Methven, then in its native state, but after four years he sold out and bought 600 acres of unimproved swamp land at Springston. Mr. Pannett set to work burning off the peat, and having extinguished the fire, to preserve the organic remains, he thoroughly drained the land and converted it into a fine fertile farm. However, he afterwards sold the property, and in 1900 bought 330 acres at Greenpark, formerly the homestead portion of Mr. I. G. Murray's estate. Besides carrying on general cropping, Mr. Pannett grows large quantities of garden peas for Messrs Carter and Co., the well-known seedsmen of London. Mr. Pannett owns another estate of 5200 acres at Pleasant Point, which is managed by his son, and on which he keeps between seven and eight thousand sheep. He has always taken a leading part in the local affairs of his district; he has for years been connected with road boards, and was chairman of the Springs Road Board for several terms. In educational matters he has always taken a prominent part, and at the age of twenty-one was appointed chairman of the South Selwyn school committee, and he was for some time chairman of the Springston South and two other school committees in the different districts in which he has lived. He is a member of the Canterbury and Timaru Agricultural and Pastoral Associations, and was one of the first shareholders of the New Zealand Farmers' Co-operative Association. He owns a fine stud of Southdown sheep, and in his early days was a successful prize-taker at various ploughing matches. Mr. Pannett is married, and has six sons and six daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. J. A. Pannett.
Quayle, Thomas, Farmer, Greenpark, Mr. Quayle was born in the Isle of Man in 1848. After leaving school he followed farming, and came to New Zealand in 1880, in the ship “Pleiades.” He landed at Lyttelton and settled, first, at Leeston, but subsequently entered the service of Mr. H. Overton, of Meadowbank, where he was appointed working manager. In 1885 he removed to Greenpark, and began farming on his own account. He was chief organiser of the Greenpark Dairy Factory, and is now chairman of directors. The factory began with one separator, but is now working six, including two at the Greenpark Creamery, and the plant and building have been correspondingly added to Mr. Quayle is a member of the road board and chairman of the school committee. He is a prominent member of the Wesleyan Church, and conducts service as a local preacher.
Mr. T. Quayle.
Mr. Richard Dulieu, sometime of Greenpark, was born in London, and arrived in New Zealand with his family by the ship “Clontarf,” in 1859. He was employed for a time by Mr. Michael Burke, of Halswell, and was for seven years afterwards gardener to the late Mr. Guise Brittan. Mr. Dulieu began farming on a freehold block of fifty acres at page 677 Greenpark, but afterwards increased the area to 300 acres. He died in 1900.
Mr. Stephen Kimber, was born in Wiltshire, England, in 1812, and came to Canterbury by the ship “Castle Eden,” in 1851. At first he was engaged in making Ferry Road, and afterwards helped to form High Street in Christchurch. Later on Mr. Kimber took up a farm at Wilderness Road, but sold it in three years and settled at Greenpark, when the district was little known. He was one of the first settlers in the district. Not disheartened by the difficulties connected with the reclamation of a raupo-covered swamp, he set to work with a will, and had his efforts crowned with success, as the reclaimed land proved very fertile and yielded large crops. Greenpark is now recognised as having some of the richest land in Canterbury, and is occupied by a prosperous population. Mr. Kimber never took any part in the affairs of the district, but devoted all his time to the improvement of his farm. Owing to his increasing years he has for a considerable time lived a life of retirement. Mr. Kimber married twice, and by his first wife had a family of three sons and two daughters. His second wife was Miss Grey, of Dunedin.
Mr. Paul McColl, sometime of “Glencoe,” Greenpark, was born at Appin, Argyleshire, Scotland, in 1835, and followed a farming life until he left Home by the ship “David G. Fleming,” for Lyttelton, in 1864. At first he was employed in carting at Christchurch, and afterwards worked for Mr. Milne, of Lincoln for five years. In 1870 he purchased a swamp-covered unimproved farm of fifty acres, at Greenpark, and afterwards in creased the area to seventy-five acres, now in a high state of cultivation. Latterly Mr. McColl leased a small section of fine pasture land for grazing. He carried on general farming and dairying. Mr. McColl had been for years a member of the Greenpark school committee and churchwarden of the Anglican church; he was also a member of the Farmers' Union and a Shareholder of the Tai Tapu Dairy Company. Before leaving Scotland Mr McColl married Miss Cameron, and had a family of three sons and four daughters. Three daughters are married. Mr. McColl died at Greenpark on the 21st of April, 1903.