The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Bisset, Robert Hugh, Farmer, “Banaskine,” Orari. Mr. Bisset was born on the Orari station in 1873, and is the second son of the late Mr. Christopher Bisset, an early settler, and formerly manager for the late Mr. W. McDonald. Mr. C. Bisset arrived in the Colony by the ship “Queen of the Mersey,” and was at White Rock for some two years, prior to moving to South Canterbury in 1864, when he purchased the “Banaskine” property in 1876, and occupied it to the time of his death, in 1893. Mr. Bisset was a member of the Temuka Road Board for some years prior to his demise. He was married in Sutherlandshire. Scotland, to Miss Ann McDonald, and left eight children; his widow still resides at Orari.
Mr. R. H. Bisset.
Gladstone, Henry John, Farmer, “Brooklands,” Orari. The subject of this notice was born in Liverpool in 1826, and is page 871 a cousin of the illustrious and lately deceased statesman, the Right Hon. W. E. Gladstone. He was educated in his native city, and studied agriculture. Mr. Gladstone came to Lyttelton in 1854 by the ship “Ashmere,” and settled in South Canterbury, where he entered into partnership with the late Mr. Watson, resident Magistrate at Akaroa, in a run in the Mackenzie country. He remained there for ten years, and having sold out came to Orari, and took up his present property of 600 acres. Mr. Gladstone, who owns two other farms, has always gone in for general farming. He has not taken an active part in public affairs, except as a member of the Orari River Conservation Board; but he interests himself in church work.
Mr. H. J. Gladstone.
Hewson, William, Farmer, Pine Tree Farm, Orari Bridge. Mr. Hewson was born in Scotland in 1853. He accompanied his parents to New Zealand in the ship “Queen of the Mersey,” in 1862, and they settled at the Hinds. At that time there was scarcely a fence on the Canterbury Plains, and bullock tracks constituted the only roads. After receiving his education in Christchurch, Mr. Hewson lived in the Ashburton district till 1869. He then went to the Orari Gorge station, and was subsequently engaged in various occupations. He bought part of his present farm in 1874, when it was in its native state, but he so successfully cultivated his land that, in 1899, he had wheat crops which averaged thirty-eight bushels per acre and oats forty-six bushels. Mr. Hewson has been chairman of the Orari Bridge school committee for the past thirteen years. He has been twice married, and has four sons and two daughters now living.
Mr. and Mrs W. Hewson.
Metcalf, Anthony, Farmer, Wattle Hill Farm, Orari Bridge. Mr. Metcalf was born on the 27th of October, 1846, at Stainwood, Westmorland, England, and was brought up to farming. He arrived in New Zealand by the ship “Zealandia,” at Lyttelton, in 1869, and worked for six months for Mr. John Ruddenklau. He then went sheep shearing on his own account, and was the first to start cropping on the Orari side of Geraldine. Mr. Metcalf visited England in 1875, when he went Home by the ship “Rangitikei,” and returned in the following year by the “Desdemona.” In 1877 he bought his present farm, and has between 500 and 600 acres all cleared and well cultivated. Mr. Metcalf was elected a member of the Geraldine Road Board in 1889, and has been returned at subsequent elections. He was one of the first members of the Orari Bridge school committee, and has also been on the water-race committee ever since its inception. He keeps a small stud of Leicesters imported by him from England. During his visit to England, in 1875, Mr. Metcalf was married by the Rev. W. Nie, to Miss Margaret Frances Sowersby, of Barningham, Yorkshire, and has two sons and four daughters. He has been a Justice of the Peace for some years.
Mr. A. Metcalf.
Orari Gorge Station, Geraldine County, comprises 75,000 acres, including the freehold. It is a splendidly situated run, and was taken up in the early days by the late Mr. C. G. Tripp, who devoted a large amount of attention, and expended much money in improvements. The station is now managed by Mr. Bernard Tripp, and carries 200 head of cattle and 45,000 shearing sheep. In addition there are stud flocks of Merinos and English Leicesters. The first named have been awarded first and champion prizes in Timaru for many years in succession. About 4,000 acres of land are under cultivation, and of late years, the condition of the country has been advantageous for raising large numbers of cross-bred lambs and sheep for the London market. There is probably no better improved run in the Colony. At various convenient places there are stone huts for the accommodation of the musterers, and there is a splendid drove of pack mules, mostly bred on the place. The homestead residence is large and very picturesquely situated at the foot of a low range of hills, and is surrounded by very spacious grounds, partly in native bush, besides about fifteen acres of orchard and kitchen garden. The woolshed, men's huts, yards, stables, and other out-buildings are all very substantial and conveniently situated. There is a considerable growth of native timber on the property, on which coal has been found.
Mr. William Kenneth MacDonald, sometime of Orari, was one of the earliest settlers of South Canterbury. He was born in Inverness-shire, Scotland, and when a young man went to Australia, whither he was followed some years afterwards by his brothers, Dr. A. R. Macdonald and Mr. Angus Macdonald, both now dead. In 1852 Mr. Macdonald came to New Zealand, to which his brothers followed him later on, and they took up a large block of land between the Orari and Rangitata rivers, where his family are still in possession of part of it, now known as the Orari estate. Mr. Macdonald was at one time a member of the Canterbury Provincial Council, and was one of the originators of the Christchurch Club, and of the Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Society. He was married, in 1859, to Miss Macpherson, eldest daughter of the late Captain Macpherson of the 59th Regiment, an old Peninsular officer, who afterwards resided in the Geraldine district. Mr. Macdonald died in 1879.