The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
The Hinds township and district take their name from the river Hinds which flows, only when in flood, through the northern part of the settlement, towards the sea. The Hinds railway station, and post and telegraph offices, which are on the main south line, sixty-four miles from Christchurch, and eleven from Ashburton, are in the centre of a large agricultural and pastoral district. Mails by coach leave thrice weekly for Lowcliffe, and also for Lismore and Maronan. Hinds presents an instructive object lesson in its saleyards, which belong to the Hinds Saleyards Company Limited. The company, however, has built not only the usual cattle and sheep pens, but a fine shearing shed and an up-to-date sheep dip, both of which are well supported by the farmers throughout the district. There are several business places in the township, which has an accommodation house, a Wesleyan church, and a public school. In 1887 the neighbouring land, which was formerly held under Crown lease by Mr. John Studholme, was opened up by the Government for selection in blocks of fifty acres each, and the settlers received financial assistance to the extent of £20 each for building purposes. However, the land proved to be suitable only for sheep, and the small selectors either threw up their leases or sold out, and now the smaller farms in the district range from 200 to 500 acres in area.
The Hinds Public School stands in a plantation of fir trees near the railway station. It has a class room which has accommodation for seventy-five scholars, and there is an attendance of fifty. Mr. J. C. Sheldon is headmaster, and has one female assistant teacher.
Mr. J. C. Sheldon, Headmaster of the Hinds Public School, was born in South Australia, and educated at the Church of England grammar school, Melbourne. He came to New Zealand in 1885, and shortly afterwards was appointed master of the Bloomfield school, near Amberley, whence he was transferred to Charing Cross, where he was headmaster for eight years. In 1895 Mr. Sheldon was appointed to his present position. He is married, and resides near the school.
Chisnall, William, Farmer, Hinds, Mr. Chisnall is a son of Mr. William Chisnall, who is referred to in another article as an old colonist. He was born in Christchurch, brought up on his father's farm, and educated at Mr. Scott's high school. On leaving school he took charge of his father's farm at Fendalton, ad managed it until 1877, when he removed to the Hinds and bought 1000 acres of good grazing land He has now 3800 acres of land, which is used principally as a sheep run. Mr. Chisnall is a member of the Coldstream Road Board, and was for a number of years on the Rangitata Road Board. He is chairman of direction of the Hinds Saleyards Company, Limited. Mr. Chisnall is married, and has five sons and one daughter.
Mr. W. Chisnall.
Coldstream Estate, Hinds. This property was first taken up as a run from the Canterbury Provincial Government early in the fifties by Messrs Scott and Ernest Gray, the latter of whom was afterwards well known as a member of the Legislative Council, and as the owner of Hoon Hay, near Christchurch. In 1867 these gentlemen sold their interest to Messrs John and Michael Studholme, under whose joint ownership it remained until the brothers dissolved partnership, in 1878. It then became the sole property of Mr. John Studholme, and continued in the bands until he made it over to his eldest son, the present owner, in 1890. The original boundaries of the run were the Hinds and Rangitata rivers on the east and west, the sea on the south, and the old Maronan and Cracroft runs on the north. From these it was divided by a fence running close to the present railway line. Cold-stream had the same area and about the same boundaries as the present Coldstream road district. When sold by Messrs Scott and Gray, the freehold consisted of only a few sections, and consequently few improvements had been made. At that date, too, nearly all that part afterwards known as the Lowcliffe estate, and about 1000 acres of what is still Coldstream, some 12,000 acres in all, consisted of an impassable swamp, which abounded in wild pigs, pukaki, and other native game. This was true also of the lagoon at the mouth of the Rangitata, where swans, shags and ducks, now conspicuous by their absence, were numerous. From 1867 to 1890 the property was under the able management of the late Mr. C. H. Dowding, who, by care and knowledge, raised the flock of Merino-Lincoln cross to a high standard. A few years ago the Lincoln strain was discarded for the English Leicester cross; the Lincoln stud flock was sold and a start made with an English Leicester stud flock by the purchase of eighty ewe hoggets at Mr. Henry Gray's clearing sale at Waiora. Coldstream has some hundreds of acres in plantations, and a large sum has been spent in fencing, draining, and other improvements. The freehold area, which two or three years ago was over 18,000 acres, is being steadily reduced by sale. The old homestead, built by Messrs Scott and page 857 Gray in 1856, is still standing, though a new house was built in 1901.
Mr. John Studholme, eldest son of the late Mr. John Studholme, a prominent pioneer colonist, was born in 1863, at Sir John Hall's present home at Hororata, then owned by Messrs Studholme brothers. He was educated at Farnborough, England, Christ's College, New Zealand, and at Christchurch, Oxford, where he graduated B.A. in 1887 and M.A. in 1891. From 1888 to 1891 he was engaged in farming at Coldstream. The years 1891 to 1895 were spent by him chiefly in the North Island, assisting his father in connection with his northern property. From 1895 to 1897 he was engaged partly in travelling and partly studying the conditions of life in East London, at the Oxford House, under its then head, the present Bishop of London. In 1897 Mr. Studholme married a daughter of the late Dr. Thomson, Archbishop of York. From 1897 to the present date he has continued farming at Coldstream. He served as a trooper in the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry for two years, and for one year as lieutenant in the Ashburton Mounted Rifles. Mr. Studholme has taken much interest in the Ashburton Agricultural and Pastoral Association, of which he is a past president, as he is also of the Ashburton County Racing Club. He is a member of the Diocesan Synod, and of the Ashburton County Council, and is chairman of the Coldstream Road Board.
The Danebury Estate, on the Hinds river, has an area of 3,100 acres. Near the river the soil is rich and yields good crops of oats and wheat, but on other parts of the estate the land is unsuitable for cropping, though it grows excellent pasturage for sheep. The estate is well laid out with plantations, which afford excellent shelter for the stock, and protect the crops from the nor'-west winds, which in the early days did much damage to the district. In 1902–3, 100 acres of “Dane bury” were under crop, 800 in tussock, and the balance was in English grasses.
Mr. Richard Austin, Owner of the Danebury Estate, is a son of Mr. James Austin, of Winchester, who is well known throughout South Canterbury. He was born and educated at Winchester, where he was brought up on his father's farm. In 1902 the Danebury estate was bought by Mr. Austin. The home-stead, which is pleasantly situated on the north bank of the Hinds river, is surrounded by plantations in excellent order.
Hackthorne Estate (T. Harrison, proprietor), Hinds. This estate was originally part of the Westerfield run, and was purchased by the present proprietor in 1895. The estate contains, 2,445 acres of freehold. It is devoted chiefly to the production of wool and mutton, and a large number of lambs and sheep are annually available for the export trade. For this purpose Mr. Harrison breeds from English Leicester and Shropshire rams, and halfbred ewes. The lambs are finished off on rape, and all sold fat on the property. Excellent crops of grain are raised on “Hackthorne,” and a considerable area is ploughed annually with a view to the constant renewal of the pasturage. Mr. Harrison has a purebred flock of Shropshire sheep. Of his two stud rams, one was bred by Mr. R. P. Cooper, England, and one by Mr. Burbing, of Tasmania. One first and one second prize were obtained out of three entries, at the Ashburton show, the first time Mr. Harrison exhibited sheep belonging to his stud flock. The dwellinghouse at “Hackthorne” is a fine two-storey building, situated on the banks of the Hinds river, and well sheltered from the prevailing winds by plantations of ornamental trees and shrubs. There are over forty acres of plantations on the estate to give shelter and shade to stock.
Mr. Thomas Harrison was born in 1858 in Cockerham, Lancashire, England. He was educated at the Lancaster Grammar School. Mr. Harrison came to New Zealand in 1879 in the ship “Waimate,” and was for three years in the Amuri district, in Marlborough, and in the North Island. In 1883 he visited England, and returned to New Zealand in the following year. He purchased “Clent Hills,” in 1885, and sold it to his brother ten years later. Mr. Harrison served for five years on the Mount Somers Road Board. He was married, in 1891, to Miss Williams, and has three sons.
Mr. T. Harrison's Residence.
Hansen, Christian Ludwick, Farmer, Hinds. Mr. Hansen was born in page 858 Denmark, where he was educated and brought up to farming. He spent twelve years at sea and arrived at Dunedin by the ship “Lyttelton,” in 1881. After working at Hororata, he bought teams, and for ten years, was farm contracting in the Ashburton county. He took up his present property of 200 acres of agricultural land in 1892; it was originally part of the Coldstream run. There are about 100 acres of first class swamp land, and the balance, which is second class, yields wheat crops which average from forty to fifty bushels an acre. Mr. Hansen takes an interest in local affairs, and has served on the Hinds school committee. He was married in Ashburton, and has four sons and four daughters.
Mr. C. L. Hansen.
Maronan Estate is situated on the south bank of the Hinds river. It has an area of 6000 acres, and extends from Lismore to within a mile and a half of the Hinds railway station. Of its total area 2000 acres are under cultivation, and the balance in its native state; it carries 5000 sheep and lambs. The estate was purchased by the present proprietor in 1895. The Maronan old trees were well known features in the coaching days, and afforded an acceptable sheltered halting-place on the open plain.
Mr. William Plumer Kellock, Proprietor of Maronan Estate, is a native of Totnes, South Devon, England, where he was educated. After spending some time in London he went to Ceylon, where for twenty years before coming to New Zealand, he had a tea, coffee, and cinchona plantation in the Uoa district. Mr. Kellock imported from Herefordshire, England, the first Ryeland sheep brought to New Zealand. They have the reputation of being the hardiest and oldest breed of sheep known in England, and are similar to the first cross so much sought for in Canterbury. Mr. Kellock is now a member of the Rangitata Road Board. He married a daughter of the late Mr. John Grigg, of Longbeach.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. W. P. Kellock.
McKenzie, Duncan, Farmer, Hinds. Mr. McKenzie was born at Inverness, Scotland, and came to New Zealand with his parents in 1862. After living on the Ferry road, Christchurch, the family removed to Southbrock, where Mr. McKenzie was educated; after which he lived at Fernside for a number of years. In 1878 he and his brother took up 1500 acres of land at the Hinds and worked it as a sheep farm until 1899, when he bought a block of 143 acres from Mr. J. Studholme. This land, which is close to the township and the river, yields up to eighty bushels of oats and sixty bushels of wheat to the acre. Mr. McKenzie also has 260 acres of plains land which carries sheep. He takes an active interest in public affairs, and has been on the local school committee since 1901, and is now its chairman. Mr. McKenzie was married at the Hinds.
Mr. D. McKenzie.
Stewart, Arthur, Farmer, Hinds. Mr. Stewart is a son of Mr. Peter Stewart, of “Seaview,” Wakanui, and was born, educated and brought up on his father's farm. He worked a threshing plant for five years before taking up his present holding of 1300 acres, in 1898. Mr. Stewart runs 1300 sheep on his land, and his crops of oats average from twenty to thirty bushels to the acre. He was the first to introduce into the district ploughing by traction engine, and he has proved it to be cheaper than horse power, the engine making as many as nine furrows at a time. Mr. Stewart is a member of the Hinds school committee. He is married.
Woolley, Thomas, Farmer, Maronan Road, Hinds. Mr. Woolley was born and educated at Throaphan, Yorkshire, England. After sixteen years of farm life there he sailed for New Zealand, and arrived at Lyttelton by the ship “Huntress' in 1863. He first obtained employment with Mr. McFarlane, of Rangiora; after which he was contracting at farm work for six years in Tai Tapu and the surrounding districts. On settling in the Ashburton district he took up a farm of 100 acres near Willowby, and also had 278 acres near the Wakanui creek. He farmed these lands for six years, and then took up the 434 acres on which he still resides at the Hinds. Mr. Woolley carries on general farming, and his wheat and oats average twenty-five and forty bushels to the acre respectively. He was married at Hoon Hay, near Christchurch, and has three sons and eight daughters.
Mr. T. Woolley.
The late Mr. W. Chisnall.