The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Cairnbrae is fifty-five miles by rail from Christchurch, and is on the Rakaia-Methven branch line, two miles beyond Lyndhurst and within three miles of Methven. It is a farming district. There is a post office at the railway station, and a daily mail to and from Christchurch. The nearest telegraph office is at Methven.
Batty, Joseph, Farmer, “Craigielea,” Cairnbrae. Mr. Batty was born in Yorkshire, England, and came to New Zealand by the ship “Waimate” in 1875. He entered the employment of the late Mr. Reid, of Westerfield, and afterwards that of Messrs Gould and Cameron, of Springfield. During the period of his service with Mr. Reid he bought his employer's threshing plant, and the year following he purchased another engine and combine (Ruston and Proctor) from the late Mr. G. Gould. He worked both plants in his own interest for one season. In 1878 he sold the former machine to Mr. J. W. Oliver, and continued to work the latter along with contract teams and cropping until he leased the farm “Whenuapai” from Mr. G. Coward. Afterwards he leased his present farm “Craigielea” from Mr. William McMillan, of Irwell. “Craigielea” contains 1360 acres, and carries about 2500 sheep. Each year about 300 acres are devoted to the cultivation of oats, wheat and turnips, with a general average of twenty-five to thirty bushels of wheat, and forty of oats. Mr. Batty has occupied a seat on the Mount Hutt Road Board for a considerable period. He is also a Justice of the Peace and a member of the Canterbury and Ashburton Agricultural and Pastoral Associations. In 1889 Mr. Batty married Miss Clara Archer, of Yorkshire, and there is a family of two sons and one daughter.page 797
Standish and Preece, photo. Mr. J. Batty.
McLean, James, Farmer, “Croxby,” Cairnbrae, Methven. Mr. McLean was born near Belfast, in County Down, Ireland, in 1858, and came to New Zealand, in 1878, in the ship “Christian McCausland.” He landed at Dunedin, and after being a year in Otago he came to Canterbury and purchased a farm of 300 acres at Chertsey. At the same time he managed, for six years, another farm for Mr. Daw, at Lyndhurst. In 1889 he bought Croxby Farm, which consists of 750 acres, and about two miles and a half from “Croxby,” he has another freehold property of 520 acres. The improvements he has made on “Croxby” include a good dwellinghouse with a north-eastern aspect. The property is divided into thirteen paddocks, and is devoted to grain growing and the fattening of sheep. Mr. McLean sometimes has as much as 300 acres under crop, and he has fattened 3000 sheep in one season. Southdowns are his favourite breed Mr. McLean has been chairman of the Highbank school committee. He was married in August, 1886, to Miss Doak, daughter of Mr. William Doak, of County Down, Ireland, and has four sons and two daughters.
Mr. and Mrs J. McLean and Child.
Mr. J. McLean's Residence.