The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Lyndhurst is a prosperous district on the Rakaia-Methven line, about fifteen miles from the former and seven from the latter township, and four miles west of Lauriston. The infant township has a blacksmith's shop, a small general store, and there are also large sheds for the storage of grain. The land is particularly fertile, and yields large returns of wheat and oats, and other crops. Lyndhurst is also a good sheep country, celebrated for the fattening qualities of its grass. Several of the estates are large in area, and on some of these farming is conducted on an extensive scale.
McFarlane And Cook (Andrew McFarlane and William Cook), Engineers, Blacksmiths, Coachbuilders, and Farriers Lyndhurst. This extensive business was begun in 1887 by Mr. McFarlane, in a small way in unpretentious premises, but has become one of the leading businesses of its kind in the county of Ashburton. At first the business was confined to blacksmithing, and Mr. McFarlane employed only one man. Now the extensive premises have three forges, with a large steam engine, steam hammers, and lathes, and all the most up-to-date appliances for large engineering works. Six men are constantly employed in the various departments of the business, and the firm keeps an extensive stock of reaping machines, duplicate parts, ploughshares, twines, oils, and harness. A large quantity of seasoned timber, for the construction of drays and other vehicles, for which the firm holds a high reputation, is also kept in stock, as well as seasoned timber for building purposes, as an important branch of the firm's business consists in the construction of residences in the surrounding district. Mr. McFarlane being a practical farrier; the firm keeps a large stock of drugs, and he is constantly consulted in connection with the ailments of horses. The Lyndhurst post office and telegraph office is under the charge of Mr. Cook, one of the partners.
Mr. Andrew McFarlane is the third son of Mr. Andrew McFarlane, sheepfarmer, Alford Forest. He was born at Alford Forest and started business in 1887 at Lyndhurst. Owing to the expansion of his trade, he was compelled to remove to larger premises, and to secure the services of a working partner. Mr. William Cook, who had been previously in his employment for a number of years. The business is now, therefore, carried on under the title of McFarlane and Cook, Mr. McFarlane superintending the general management of the business. Mr. McFarlane is married, and has a family of one.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. A. McFarlane.
Ardagh Estate (Arthur Ingham Dent and William James Dickie, proprietors), Lyndhurst. This estate consists of 2550 acres, and was bought by the present owners in 1902 from Mr. Friedlander. It fattens annually about 2000 sheep and between 2000 and 3000 lambs. About 1000 acres are in wheat, oats and turnips. Wheat averages forty, and oats fifty bushels per acre, and five reapers are employed in the harvesting season. Messrs Dent and Dickie bought Mr. Friedlander's flock of Hampshire sheep, with which they have taken numerous prizes at the Christchurch and Ashburton shows. Horses born of draught mares and thoroughbred sires are bred on the estate with excellent results. Good roads surround the property, and large plantations of full grown trees give shelter from the nor'-westers.
Mr. Arthur Ingham Dent is the fourth son of the late Mr. James Dent and was born at Cobden near Greymouth, in 1872. He was educated at Lauriston, and was brought up to farming by his father. In 1892 he commenced farming on his own account on 500 acres, which he successfully cultivated till 1902, when he sold out, and, in conjunction with Mr. Dickie, bought the Ardagh estate. Mr. Dent has always taken an intelligent interest in the public affairs of the district. He was for two years a member of the Mount Hutt Road Board, is at present a member of the Marawhiti school committee, and was for a page 796 considerable time connected with the Ashburton Mounted Rifles. In his younger days he was well known as an athlete and footballer, and is still an ardent angler and sportsman. He married a daughter of Mr. James Moore, of Ashburton, and four children have been born of the union.
Mr. William James Dickie is a grandson of the late Mr. James Dent, one of the earliest settlers in Lauriston, and was born at Cobden, near Greymouth. For a time he worked for the firm of Messrs Thomas and McBeth, who had one of the leading businesses on the West Coast. Owing to ill health, he was compelled to leave business. It was then he came to Canterbury and started farming, an occupation which has contributed to the restoration of his health, and to his material success. Mr. Dickie began with land at Charlton, Somerton. After seven years he sold the property, and, in partnership with Mr. Dent, bought the Ardagh estate, Lyndhurst, formerly the property of Mr. Murdoch. Since his arrival in the district he has taken no part in public affairs, but he is a member of the Ashburton Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and of the Masonic Lodge at Rakaia. He married Miss Peyman, niece of Mr. James Peyman, one of the early settlers of Greymouth, and there is a family of two sons.
Mitchell, photo. Mr. W. J. Dickie and Child.
Thompson, George, Farmer, Lyndhurst. Mr. Thompson is the son of Mr. A. Thompson, who for many years shod the Marquis of Waterford's horses. Mr. A. Thompson came to the Colony with his family in the ship “William Miles,” in 1860, and started in business as a blacksmith at Mount Peel and Alford Forest stations. In 1860 he took up land at Ashburton, where the mill now stands, and at Lyndhurst he selected a further area in the following year. He was born in 1818, and died in 1893. Mr. George Thompson was born in 1845 at Waterford, Ireland, and came to the Colony with his parents. He drove the first bullock team across the plains, with the Port Hills as his guiding landmark. The route he took was followed by others, and became known as Thompson's track. Mr. Thompson's well cultivated farm is systematically worked on the principle of rotation, by which means he grows good crops of grain and rears and fattens a number of sheep. Mr. Thompson was married, in 1872, to Miss Baker, and has four sons and four daughters.
Mr. and Mrs G. Thompson.