The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Waddington is a large agricultural district, situated thirty-six miles north-west from Christchurch, on the Springfield railway line. The whole district was originally part of the Homebush run, owned by the late Mr. John Deans. About 1873 the first settlers arrived, and bought land from the Government at £2 an acre. Mr William Waddington, after whom the place is named, purchased the township block, and cut it up into building sections. Other settlers of that period were Messrs Richard Scarlett, Samuel Hight, David Hight, Frederick Bull, D. McMilan, Aaron Ayers, William Lilley, William Humm, Alexander Fraser, James Bradshaw, William Minchin, and Charles Gamble. These settlers broke up the native tussock; and the construction of the railway, shortly afterwards, gave an impetus to the settlement. The land has all been under cultivation, and yields good average returns of oats and wheat. Turnips are also extensively grown, and large numbers of sheep, mostly crossbreds, are raised and fattened. The township has a commodious public school, and a Primitive Methodist church. The Presbyterians conduct their services page 759 in the public school. There are also two stores, a blacksmith's and wheelwright's shop, a builder's establishment, and a boarding-house. A post and telegraph office is connected with one of the stores, and there is a daily mail service. The railway station is a flag station.
The Malvern Public School at Waddington dates back to 1875, when it was held in an old Wesleyan chapel, between Waddington and Sheffield. About two years later a small school was built, and was subsequently enlarged, and more recently the Board has added a large infant class room. The building is of wood, on concrete foundations; the rooms are lofty and well ventilated, and the walls of the infant room are plastered and papered. A spacious playground surrounds the school. Mr. J. A. Caygill was the first headmaster, and has been followed, successively, by Messrs Richard Pole, James Blythen, Victor, J. B. Borthwick, and Mr. T. L. P. Pole, the present headmaster, who has held the appointment since 1888. The number of scholars on the roll is 104, with an average attendance of ninety. Miss Agnes Colthart is relieving assistant mistress and Miss J. L. Hight pupil-teacher. Miss Popple, formerly assistant mistress, who was trained at the Malvern school, was one of the “eleventh contingent”—a band of capable teachers sent by the New Zealand Government to South Africa, to assist in teaching the Boer children in the concentration camps.
Mr. Thomas L. P. Pole, Headmaster of the Malvern school, was born at Ramsey, Huntingdonshire, England, in 1860. At the age of six he arrived in the colony with his parents by the ship “Mermaid,” and landed at Lyttelton. He was brought up and educated at Riccarton, and afterwards served as a pupil-teacher in the West Christchurch school. Then he studied for two years at the Normal School, and afterwards acted as relieving master at the Malvern school for three months. Mr. Pole was then appointed third master at the Lyttelton Borough school, where he remained for over three years, when he was transferred to the charge of the Kimberley school. Subsequently he became headmaster of the Hororata school, whence he was promoted to his present position. Mr. Pole takes a very active part in the social life of the community, especially in musical matters. He is sergeant-major of the Malvern Mounted Rifles. Mr. Pole married a daughter of Mr. William Griffiths, of Spreydon, and has a family of two sons and five daughters.
Mr. and Mrs T. L. P. Pole and Family.
Lord, John, Builder, Waddington, Mr. Lord is one of the early colonists of Waddington, and was born at Burnley, Lancashire, England, in 1851. He was educated in his native place, where he learned the trade of a cabinetmaker. Subsequently he was engaged for some years in mercantile pursuits. In 1874 Mr. Lord left the Old Country for New Zealand in the ship “Cathcart,” which came to Lyttelton. For six months he remained in Christchurch, after which he removed to Waddington, where he has since resided. Upon his arrival there, Mr. Lord started in business with his brother-in-law, as wheelwrights and carpenters. One year afterwards the partnership was dissolved, and since then Mr. Lord has carried on a successful business as a builder. For several years he was a member of the local school committee, and he has taken an active part in musical matters, especially in connection with the churches of various denominations. At the present time he is choirmaster of the Waddington Primitive Methodist church. Mr. Lord married Miss Sarah Rose, of Lincolnshire, who was a shipmate on the “Cathcart,” and they have a family of five sons and three daughters.
Applecroft Farm (William Humm, proprietor), Waddington, Mr. Humm, on of the early settlers at Waddington, was born in Essex, England, in 1837, and was brought up to farming. He left England in the ship to farming. He left England in the ship “Gananoque,' which arrived in Lyttelton in 1860. His first occupation in Christchurch was picking and bagging potatoes, at five shillings a day. He was afterwards employed at the Royal Hotel at £1 a week, and was subsequently engaged in various callings. In 1864 Mr. Humm went to Weedons, where he took up fifty acres of Government land, and there commenced the life of a pioneer. Coal and firewood were at an exorbitant price, and for several years straw was used for the household fires. In 1873 Mr. Humm removed to Waddington, and took up his present property, Applecroft Farm, which contains 244 acres. The land was then in its native tussock, and it took many years of hard work, coupled with financial stress, to break up, fence, and subdivide the farm, erect the homestead and substantial outbuildings, and bring the whole property to its present prosperous condition. Success at last crowned his persevering efforts, and Mr. Humm is now reaping the reward of his industrious labours. Mr. Humm has been actively associated with church and temperance work, and is a local preacher in the Waddington Primitive Methodist church. Before leaving the Old Country, Mr. Humm married Miss Eliza Owens, of Essex. His wife accompanied him to New Zealand, and has been a worthy helpmate in his adversity and prosperity. There is a family of seven sons and four daughters. All the daughters and four of the sons are married, and they have, in all, twenty-seven children.
Bradshaw, James, Farmer, Waddington. Mr. Bradshaw is the son of Mr. George Bradshaw, brush manufacturer and general dealer, of BumbyBurnley [sic], Lancashire, England, and nephew of the late Abraham Bradshaw, one page 760 of the pioneers of the Waddington district. He was born at BumbyBurnley [sic], and previous to his leaving for New Zealand by the ship “Ramsey” was travelling representative of his father's business in the Old Country. He came out to join his uncle, but shortly after his arrival he went to the Shotover gold diggings, whence, however, he returned after a few months, to the less exciting life of the farmer. Mr. Bradshaw's farm consists of 290 acres of freehold and forty acres of leasehold land, which is suitable for grain growing, dairying or sheep. He has not taken any part in local affairs, but was for a time a member of the Waddington school committee. Mrs Bradshaw, to whom he was married previous to his departure from England, joined him in 1874, and came by the ship “Cathcart,” on which she acted as matron for the passengers during the voyage. Of a family of three, one son is alive.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. J. Bradshaw.
Bull, Frederick, Farmer, Waddington. Mr. Bull was born at Enfield, Middle-sex. England, in 1848. At the age of fourteen he arrived in the colony with his parents, by the ship “Queen of the Mersey,” and landed at Lyttelton. Almost immediately he went to the Dalethorpe run, Russell's Flat, and remained with Mr. C. Watts Russell, the then owner, for three years. He then accepted an engagement as stockman on the Homebush run, where he worked for five years for the late Mr. John Deans. His next employer was “Skipper” Duncan, and he was for three years engaged in driving cattle to the West Coast. Mr. Bull then started a butchery business at Waddington, and carried it on successfully for twenty years. He bought 600 acres of the Homebush run, where he carries on mixed farming, and depastures a fine flock of crossbred sheep. Mr. Bull is a member of the Malvern East Road Board, and has held the position of chairman. For many years he was a member and chairman of the Waddington school committee, and he has also served on the Domain Board. At the present time (1903) he is chairman of the Cemetery Board, and is also president of the Malvern Trotting Club. He married a daughter of Mr. James Jackson, of Harewood Road, Papanui, a pioneer colonist, and has two sons and one daughter. The eldest son volunteered and served with one of the New Zealand Contingents in the late war in South Africa.
Enfield Farm, Waddington , is one of the oldest farms in the district. A small portion of it was bought by the father of the present proprietor, about 1868, and was originally part of the Homebush run. The land is of good agricultural quality. Enfield Farm contains 215 acres, but Mr. Jenkins has recently bought an additional 380 acres near the Waimakariri Gorge Bridge, and both places are worked in conjunction. The quality of this latter land could scarcely be excelled in Canterbury. Mr. Jenkins is well known as a successful breeder, and his Ayrshire cattle have won prizes at the agricultural and pastoral shows at Christchurch, Timaru, Ashburton, Courtenay, and Rangiora. He has a stud flock of English Leicesters, and another of Southdowns, which have taken several prizes, and he has also been successful in horse breeding. One of the most useful stallions that ever travelled the district was the well known horse “Major,” a cross between a draught and a carriage horse. Mr. Jenkins bought him as a two-year-old colt, and for twelve years he travelled the district, in which he left not only the best of farm horses, for “Midnight,” “Bepp,” “Abner,” and “Rodney,” trotters that have won laurels at town and country meetings—are also “Major's” progeny.
Mr. William James Jenkins is a son of Mr. W. J. Jenkins, an old settler of Courtenay. He was born at the Hinds in 1861, and was brought up to farming in the Courtenay district. In 1886 he started on his own account at Weddington, where he has since resided. Mr. Jenkins is a member of the Canterbury, Courtenay, and Russell's Flat Agricultural and Pastoral Associations, and a member of the Courtenay Court of Foresters. He has occupied a seat on the Waddington school committee, and as vestryman at the Sheffield Anglican church. Mr. Jenkins married Miss Malcolmson of Southbridge, and has a family of two sons and three daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo
Mr. W. J. Jenkins.
Fraser, Alexander, Farmer, “Crawford Farm,” Waddington. Mr. Fraser was born in 1842 in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, where he was educated, and early trained to farming. He came to New Zealand in the ship “Tudor” in 1865, and in the same year purchased the first portion of his farm, which consisted of unimproved Crown land. To this he has since added considerably, and he has now a property of 600 acres, highly cultivated, containing good substantial buildings and well-grown shelter plantations. The farm is sub-divided into good paddocks, utilised for mixed farming, principally in breeding and fattening sheep for export. In this branch of the business Mr. Fraser has been very successful, his lambing average being as high as 120 per cent. Mr. Fraser is a member of the school committee. He was married in 1896 to Miss Cameron, and has one son.
Gray, George, Sheepfarmer, Abner's Head, Waddington. Mr. Gray is the third son of Mr. William Gray, of Governor's Bay, who arrived in Canterbury in 1858. He was born at Governor's Bay, where he learned farming under his father. After gaining experience of sheepfarming on one of the large Canterbury stations, Mr. Gray leased his present property in 1895. His estate contains about 1670 acres, and was originally a portion of the Homebush run. When leased by page 761 Mr. Gray it was in its native state, but is now thoroughly improved, with a fine homestead and most commodious outbuildings. Mr. Gray was for two years a member of the Malvern South Road Board, and was for some years a member of the Coalgate school committee. He has also been a member of the Malvern Mounted Rifles since the formation of that corps, and at present holds the rank of quarter-master sergeant. Mr. Gray is a member of the Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association. He has taken prizes for both sheep and horses, and is a successful horsebreeder. Mr. Gray is a shareholder in the Sheffield Saleyards Company, and a member of the Farmers' Union. As an Oddfellow he is a member of the Loyal Coleridge Lodge, and has passed through the chairs. Mr. Gray married Miss Campbell, and there is a family of five children.
Gunn, Alexander, Farmer, Racecourse Hill. This gentleman, who succeeded his father in the farm, was born in 1852 in Caithness-shire, Scotland, and came to New Zealand with his parents in the ship “Chrysolite.” After leaving school he worked on his father's farm, under whom he gained valuable experience. He was appointed overseer on one of the properties belonging to the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency, but resigned on account of his father's ill-health. Mr. Gunn possesses a beautiful property of 450 acres known as “Hawkes' View,” where he conducts a system of mixed farming, including the raising of wool and mutton, and has been a frequent successful exhibitor at the local shows. He has served as member and chairman of the South Malvern Road Board, and member of the council of the local Agricultural and Pastoral Association. In 1882 he married Miss Butterfield, and has three sons and four daughters.
Hight, Samuel, Farmer, Waddington. Mr. Hight, who is one of the early settlers of the district, was born in Northamptonshire, England, in 1844. He was brought up to farming, and, in 1864, arrived at Lyttelton by the ship “Eastern Empire.” Mr. Hight went to Yaldhurst, and a few months later to Springfield, where he remained with his brothers for about two years. He was then engaged for about nine months on the railway, between Christchurch and Rolleston. He afterwards lived at Mr. Twigger's old homestead, on the Lincoln Road, for about two years, and then resided for a twelvemonth at Halswell. In 1873 Mr. Hight took up 100 acres of Government land at Waddington, where he has since resided, and has increased his holding to 177 acres. The land is of good agricultural quality and has been successfully worked. Mr. Hight served as a member of the Waddington school committee for some years. He was married in the colony, and has a family of four sons and four daughters. The eldest son, Mr James Hight, is one of the lectures at Canterbury College.
Innes, Thomas S., Fairleigh Farm, Waddington. Mr. Innes, who is a son of Mr. William Innes, now of Addington, was born at Pigeon Bay, in 1872, and was brought up to farming on Banks' Peninsula. In 1898 he went to Waddington, where he started on his own account, by leasing Glencairn Farm, a property of 150 aces. Two years later he purchased his present homestead farm, which he works in conjunction with the other. “Fairleigh” comprises 242 acres of good agricultural land, and yields, on an average, forty bushels of oats, and twenty-five of wheat to the acre. Sheep are also raised and fattened on the land. Mr. Innes is a member of the local school committee, and also of the Malvern branch of the New Zealand Farmers' Union.
Lilley, William, Meadowlyn Farm, Waddington. Mr. Lilley is a native of Norfolk, England, where he was born in 1846, and was brought up to farming. He arrived in New Zealand by the ship “Lady Jocelyn,” which landed at Lyttelton in 1875. For that season he was engaged in driving a threshing machine at West Melton, and in the following year went to Waddington. Mr. Lilley bought a team of horses, and carried on contracting in the district until 1885, when he bought the Meadowlyn Farm. This property, which is situated in the southern part of Waddington, was originally part of the Homebush estate, and was taken up by Mr. Bradbury, from whom Mr. Lilley bought it. It consists of 182 acres, of good agricultural land, devoted to mixed farming. Mr. Bradbury broke up a part of it from the native tussock, and the remainder was broken up by Mr. Lilley, who also erected the homestead and outbuildings. In 1900 Mr. Lilley bought another property of 1200 acres in the Oxford district, which is carried on by his sons. Mr. Lilley has for ten years been a member of the Sheffield Road Board, and he is also a member of the Sheffield Domain Board. He held a seat on the Waddington school committee for several years, and was also a vestryman of the Sheffield Anglican church. Mr. Lilley was married in the Old Country, and has a family of four sons and two daughters.
Mr. W. Lilley
Nelson, Hans Peter, Melrose Farm, Waddington. Mr. Nelson is a son of Mr. A. Nelson, of Waddington, who is widely known as a grain grower. He was born at Dunsandel in 1875, and brought up to farm work. Subsequently he assisted his father at Waddington, and, in 1901, bought his present property, which consists of about 284 acres, known as Melrose Farm. The land was formerly a portion of Mr. David McMillan's estate, and is well adapted for the pasturage of sheep, and the cultivation of crops. Mr. Nelson is a member of the Malvern Mounted Rifles.
Racecourse Hill Estate is a beautiful property, owned by Mr. H. A. Knight, and situated midway between Darfield and Sheffield. It has an area of about 4500 page 762 acres, and originally formed a portion of a run of 40,000 acres, owned by Messers J. C. Watts Russell and A. R. Creyke, in the very early days of Canterbury. The property was bought, in 1856, by the late Mr. R. H. Rhodes, who, three years later, sold it to Messrs Maxwell Bros. On the dissolution of the partnership between these gentlemen, a year later, the late Mr. H. I. Mashies, who had been general manager for the firm, joined Mr. E. C. Maxwell as working partner. Up to that time the property had been a pastoral run, with little freehold. As the agricutural qualities of the land became known, it came into great demand, and Mr. Mashies 11,000 acres, the pick of the property. Mr. Mashies devoted his energies to the improvement of the estate by breaking up and fencing the land, and in a few years the property was converted into one of the finest farms in Canterbury, with water-races running through every paddock. Mr. Mashies was chairman of the water-race committee of the Selwyn County Council, and one of the leading spirits in the formation of the water-race system, which has resulted in such material benefit to Canterbury. On the death of Mr. Maxwell, Mr Mashies entered into a partnership with his stepson, Mr. H. A. Knight, who succeeded to the estate on the death of his stepfather in September, 1885. Since then, through the sale of outlying areas, the acreage has been reduced to 4500 acres. The estate bears evidence of scientific farming, and is equipped with everything needful to efficient management and cultivation. The woolsheds are supplied with nine shearing machines, driven by a union oil engine of six and a half horse power; and the floor space for the shearers is nine feet in width. The stables have stalls for twenty horses, and the implement sheds are in keeping with the other buildings. The accommodation for the men constantly employed on the estate is particularly comfortable, and everything provided for the workers is of the best of its kind. Generally, about 700 acres are under crop. About 7000 sheep are kept on the farm, and between 2000 and 3000 lambs; and the same number of wethers are annually fattened for freezing. The sheep are crossbreds. Mr. Knight also keeps a pedigree flock of English Leicesters. The residence nestles under the northern slope of the Racecourse Hill, and commands an extensive view of the Malvern and Oxford hills, on the one side, and of the Plains, on the other. The grounds cover about thirty acres, and are beautifully laid out in flower and vegetable gardens, and an orchard, ornamental shrubberies and lawns, tennis grounds, and artificial lakes. There are over 200 acres of full grown plantations, planted in convenient portions of the estate. The house is a handsome two-storey building, with all modern appliances and conveniences, and lighted throughout with acetylene gas.
Mr. H. A. Knight, Proprietor of Racecourse Hill Estate, is a son of the late Mr. Knight, a prominent and early pioneer settler, and stepson of the late Mr. H. I. Mathias, whose name is intimately connected with the early history of Canterbury. After leaving school Mr. Knight entered the Agricultural College at Lincoln, where he pursued a course of systematic instruction, to which he considers his success in farming to be largely due On leaving college he spent one year in England, and shortly after his return, the management of the estate devolved upon him. Mr. Knight has been a member of the Courtenay Road Board for fifteen years, and has been chairman for three years. He is a member of the Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and chairman of the Darfield Saleyards Company, a member of the Board of Governors of the Agricultural College at Lincoln, and a director of the New Zealand Farmers' Co-operative Association. Mr. Knight married Miss Dicken, daughter of Mr. Thomas Dicken, of French Farm, Banks' Peninsula, and there is a family of three daughters.
Scarlett, Richard, Farmer, Waddington. Mr. Scarlett was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1853. At the age of six he arrived with his parents in New Zealand, and landed at Dunedin. The family moved to Christchurch, where they settled for a time, but subsequently Mr. Scarlett, senior, bought a farm at Lincoln, where Mr. Richard Scarlett was trained to farming. In 1873 he moved to Waddington, and took up some Government land, broke it up from the native tussock, fenced and subdivided it, and erected his present homestead, and substantial outbuildings. Mr. Scarlett carries on mixed farming generally, and owns several teams, which are employed in carting timber from the Oxford bush. He also possesses a specially constructed travelling van, which is used chiefly to convey picnic parties to the West Coast. The gardens fronting the homestead are laid out with superior taste, and ornamented with artificial lakes, small islets and choice flowers. For fifteen years continuously choice flowers. For fifteen years continuously Mr. Scarlett served on the East Malvern Road Board, of which he is now (1903) chairman. He is also a member of the Waddington school committee, has occupied a seat on the cemetery board for the past twelve years, and is a member of the Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association. Mr. Scarlett married a daughter of Mrs Askew, of Waddington, and has a family of five sons and four daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo
Mr. R. Scarlett.
Torlesse View (J. R. Cullen, proprietor), Waddington. This farm is named after Mount Torlesse, which is plainly seen from the homestead. It was formerly a portion of Homebush estate, and was bought by its present owner in 1896. Torlesse View is 219 acres in extent. It is fenced and subdivided into convenient paddocks, and devoted to mixed farming. The residence of the proprietor, situated near the foot of the hills, and on the main road between Coalgate and Sheffield, is a new building of a modern design, and the grounds around are prettily laid out. The outhouses also are substantially and conveniently built.
Mr. James Robert Cullen, Proprietor of Torlesse View, was born in Kent, England, in 1870, and came to New Zealand, with his parents, in 1879. After attending Greendale public school, he worked for three years for Mr. T. W. Adams, of Greendale. He and Mr. F. W. Compton were then in partnership for five years, three of which were spent in contracting, and two in farming, at Burnham. On the dissolution of the partnership, Mr. Cullen took up property at Annat, and farmed there for seven years. He then sub-let his Annat farm, and bought “Torlesse View,” which he has since continued to work. Mr. Cullen is a non-commissioned officer in the Malvern Mounted Rifles. He is also a member of the Homebush public school committee, and of Malvern branch of the New Zealand Farmers' Union, a director of the Coalgate Saleyards Company, and parishioners' warden in the English church, at Sheffield. Mr. Cullen was married, in 1899, to Miss Mary Elizabeth Whyte, of Hawkins, and has one son.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. J. R. Cullen.
Mr. Abraham Bradshaw, sometime of Waddington, was a native of Derbyshire. England, which he left about the year 1842, for America. After he had been farming in the western States for some time, the Californian gold diggings broke out, and he crossed the plains to try his fortune, and was successful. Then he went to the Victorian goldfields in Australia, and was again fairly successful. Mr. Bradshaw came over to New Zealand and settled at Harewood Road, near Christchurch. Hearing about the coal seams at Malvern Hills, he bought land there with the intention of working the coal; but during the time he was sinking and preparing to get the coal the Dunstan “rush” took place in Otago. He then gave up the pit work, and took his team of horses and waggon, and carried goods to Gabriel's Gully diggings till the prices came down. Then he settled down to gold digging on the Arrow river. While he was there the West Coast diggings broke out, and he went there, and prospected down as far as Okarito. Eventually he came back to Canterbury, and settled on the farm which he had bought on his first arrival in New Zealand, and died there in 1880.
Mr. John Gunn, sometime of Racecourse Hill, was born in 1811 in Caithness-shire, Scotland, where he was educated and brought up to the life of a farmer. He came to New Zealand with his wife and family—five sons and two daughters—by the ship “Chrysolite” in 1862. In 1865 he took up land on the Hawkins, being one of the earliest settlers in that neighbourhood, and farmed it with his sons. He afterwards removed to Racecourse Hill, where in 1886 he lost his beloved wife, and the family a fond and devoted mother. During the many years he was in the district, he was much respected by his friends and a wide circle of acquaintances for his sterling and upright character. He died in 1895, his family all surviving him.