The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
“Hassendean,” Glentunnel. This estate was taken up in the early days by Dr. Turn bull, and was subsequently held by Mr. R. M. Cotton, and later on, by Mr. Fletcher. It occupies a large portion of the Wairiki valley, and derives is name from the geographical aspects of the property, the word “Hassendean” meaning, in the Scottish page 755 dialect, a place of hills and valleys. The estate is 1400 acres in extent, is well fenced and subdivided, and laid down in good grasses and clover. It embraces several hundred acres of rich and well drained swamp land, the remainder being good sheep grazing country. Cattle rearing and sheep grazing are carried on extensively, and the property is capable of carrying between two and three sheep to the acre. The dwelling house is well built, and is prettily situated on an eminence near the main road; and the outbuildings are of a convenient type. Various metals have been discovered in the hills, including coal, which is thought to exist in paying quantities.
Mr. J. H. Wallace, Proprietor of “Hassendean,” is the third son of Mr. James Wallace of Papatoitoi, Auckland. He was born at Papatoitoi, and educated at the Church of England grammar school. Afterwards he was engaged as a clerk in the city of Auckland, and came to Canterbury in 1889. For seven years he acted as overseer on the Terrace station; in 1897 he purchased the Rockwood run, and two years later bought “Hassendean.”
Riversleigh Estate (Alexander McIlwraith, proprietor), Glentunnel. This estate is situated on the banks of the Upper Selwyn, between Glentunnel and Whitecliffs, and embraces a large part of the Glentunnel valley, together with a considerable area of hilly country towards the west. It is about 1600 acres in extent; and is well fenced and subdivided into convenient paddocks, and carries a flock of about 2000 sheep. Turnips and rape are grown extensively for feed.
Mr. Thomas Ford, Manager of “Riversleigh,” was born in County Galway, Ireland, in 1858, and educated at the National school, at the village of Clanfart. He assisted his father in farming until 1875, and was then for five years engaged as a ploughman upon neighbouring estates. In 1880 Mr. Ford sailed by the ship “Westland” for New Zealand, and landed at Lyttelton. His first colonial experience was gained at Riccarton, where he ploughed some paddocks for the late Mr. John Miln. This, however, occupied but a few weeks, and he then left for Southbridge, where he found employment as a ploughman till 1893. In that year he took up a position on the Homebush station, near Coalgate, and worked there for about two years. In the early part of 1896 he returned to Southbridge, and about two months later was appointed manager of “Riversleigh.” Mr. Ford was married, in 1891, to Miss Sellers, of Southbridge.
Mr. and Mrs T. Ford
Rockwood Run (T. H. and C. F. Overton, proprietors), Glentunnel. This estate is a portion of a much larger property taken up in the early days, and known by the same name. It has passed through several hands, and was taken over by its present owners in March, 1903. “Rockwood” has an area of 7100 acres, and, being very broken, is well adapted for sheep grazing. The Brockley coal mine—well known for the quality of its output—is situated near the eastern boundary, and there are said to be other seams in the neighbourhood. There are about 200 acres of native bush still standing on the property, and a river which, further on, runs into the Selwyn, affords an ample supply of excellent water.
Mr. Thomas Henry Overton, the Senior Owner of Rockwood run, is the eldest son of Mr. Henry Overton, of Fendalton, Christchurch. He was born in the Ellesmere district in 1876, and educated at Warwick House, Christchurch, under Mr. Charles Cook. Shortly after leaving school he went to New South Wales, where he spent a year on different stations. On returning to New Zealand he joined his father at Kirwee, where he continued to work until 1899. In 1890 Mr. Overton visited England, and again in 1899. Immediately on his return from the later trip, he enlisted for service in South Africa, having formerly taken a keen interest in volunteering as a member of the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry. He was made a sergeant before leaving New Zealand, and served as such under Colonel Craddock, of the Second Contingent, and gained promotion on the field to the rank of subaltern. When the Second Contingent returned in May, 1901, he was transferred to the Sixth Contingent, with which he served till within a few weeks of its return. Mr. Overton has for many years been a member of the Canterbury Amateur Athletic Club and has taken a prominent part at many championship meetings. He represented New Zealand in the Australasian Championship athletic meeting held in Sydney in 1897, and in the following year he represented Canterbury at the New Zealand Championship meeting held at Wanganui.
Mr. Charles Fitzroy Overton, Junior Partner in the ownership of Rockwood run, is the second son of Mr. Charles Overton, and was born in August, 1881, at Prebbleton. He was educated at Christ's College, Christchurch, and in 1899 turned his attention to farming. After travelling through the colony and gaining valuable experience in different districts, he entered into partnership with his cousin to take up the Rockwood run in March, 1903. Since his early school days Mr. Overton has taken an active interest in athletics. He represented Christ's College in football and cricket in many inter-collegiate matches, and holds the college record for high jumping. As a member of the Canterbury Amateur Athletic Club he representel the province at the New Zealand Championship meeting held at Dunedin in 1899.
Tara Ghur Estate (C. T. Dudley, proprietor), Glentunnel. In the early days of the district “Tara Ghur” was a portion of the Glendore run, and was afterwards acquired by General Davidson, who worked it till his death in 1901 when it passed into the hands of Mr. Dudley. It contains an area of 850 acres, of which about 740 acres are hilly country, with about 110 acres of level agricultural land in the Valley. The estate is well suited for sheep, but cattle also are kept, and crops are grown to a limited extent.
Mr. Charles Thornton Dudley, J. P., Proprietor of “Tara Ghur,” is the second son of the late Archdeacon B. W. Dudley, of Rangiora, and formerly of Lyttelton. He was born in 1843 in Sussex, England, and arrived in Lyttelton, in company with his parents in 1850, by the ship “Cressy.” Mr. Dudley was educated at Christ's College, Christchurch, under Dean Jacobs, the first headmaster, and commenced farm work as a cadet on Messrs Brittan and Burke's Landsdown estate, which then consisted of 10,000 acres, hill and flat. In 1866 he commenced farming on his own account by buying the “Ravensworth” property in the Leeston district and five years later accepted an appointment as manager of the Burnham estate. He held that position for five years, and resigned in 1876 to take up property at Irwell. Mr. Dudley subsequently bought the Riversdale estate of about 3000 acres, originally part of the Longbeach estate, at Ashburton. After farming there for about five years he removed to “Selma,” which he took up temporarily and worked; it was an estate of page 756 4000 acres. Mr. Dudley then rented Sandhills run, near New Brighton, and at the same time commmenced business in Christchurch. At the end of 1901, he gave up business in Christchurch, and his property at New Brighton, to take over “Tara Ghur.” He is a life member of the Ellesmere Agricultural and Pastoral Association. Whilst in Ashburton he was president for one year of the Ashburton Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and one of the original founders and directors of the Tinwald Saleyards Company. He was the first to import Hampshire Down sheep to Canterbury. Mr. Dudley married Miss Woodman, and has, alive, a family of two sons and three daughters.
The Venerable Archdeacon Dudley. Benjamin Wooley Dudley was born in Staffordshire, England, at the end of the year 1805, and consequently was eighty-six years old at the time of his death, which took place on the 28th of August, 1892. He graduated at Cambridge, where he took his B.A., and afterwards his M.A. degree. For some years he ministered in England, and held a curacy at Earnley, and afterwards at Ticehurst. He left England, on the formation of a Church of England settlement in New Zealand, as chaplain of the “Cressy,” one of the historical first four ships, in 1850, and was afterwards the first Incumbent of Lyttelton, where he invested his money and remained for eight years, when, on account of his wife's health, he visited Auckland for a short period. On his return he was transferred to Rangiora, where he remained during the rest of his life. In Rangiora the Archdeacon's ministrations were highly valued, as they deserved to be, for his energy in the cause of the church was untiring, and the only limited to his liberality was his means. He gave four acres as a site for the church and parsonage. Through his exertions the church was enlarged considerably, and afterwards removed to make room for the erection of the handsome building which took its place. To the cost of all this the Archdeacon and his family contributed largely. Archdeacon Dudley was personally the most liberal contributor towards the erection of a parsonage, and his latest effort was the building of a substantial schoolroom, which cost £750, and it was almost free of debt at the time of his death. Besides his work for the good of the church, the poor in the district had in him an unfailing friend. He was always ready to assist those in trouble or distress, and it was well known that during his later years he was wont to complain that his means prevented him doing all he wished, and common report credited him with having given largely of his substance to objects of bene-velence. In addition to these works of charity, Archdeacon Dudley endowed the Dampier Bay church with £250 per annum, and founded Divinity Scholarships at Christ's College. In 1866 he was made Rural Dean and Canon, and, in 1876, in recognition of his many services to the Church, was appointed Archdeacon of Rangiora. About four years and a half before his death Archdeacon Dudley resigned the incumbency of Rangiora, and retired to his private residence, “Earnley.” But he could not remain long idle, and volunteered his services to Fernside and St. Stephen's Maori Pa, and continued the work up to the very day of his death. As a matter of fact, he was preparing for a drive of six miles to take the morning service, when the attack which proved fatal to his heart seized him. His chief characteristic, activity in his work, thus remained with him to the very last, and, as the Bishop afterwards publicly said of him, his whole life had been an example of largeheartedness. In England Archdeacon Dudley married Mary Thornton, who died at Rangiora in 1865. He again married, and at his death left a widow, three sons and one daughter. Of his sons, the eldest, Archdeacon B. T. Dudley, of Auckland, died in April, 1901; the Rev. H. T. Dudley, M.A. Oxon, is still vicar of Whitechurch, Glossop, England; and the second son, Mr. C. T. Dudley, formerly a member of the firm of Acland, Dudley and Co., Christchurch, resides on his property “Tara Ghur,” at Glentunnel. Miss F. T. Dudley resided with her father at Rangiora, where she was his right hand in all church work. She continues to live at “Earnley,” which remains, as of old, a centre of well-doing on the lines of her father's life.