The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Bolton, Thomas, Sheepfarmer, Westington Farm, Kirwee. Mr. Bolton was born in Gloucestershire, England, in 1849, and came to the Colony with his parents in 1855 in the ship “Cashmere.' His early years were spent on his father's farm at Riccarton, but when he was twenty years of age he himself leased a farm from Captain Halkett in the Kimberley district. He purchased the first portion of his present farm in 1879, and now has an area of 590 acres. Mr. Bolton rears fat lambs for the export trade, and breeds from crossbred ewes and Shrepshire rams for the purpose. His crop of lambs sometimes amounts to 100 per cent, and the wool clip averages eight pounds per sheep. The improvements on the property include a good dwellinghouse of seven rooms, the usual out buildings, a garden, orchard, and plantations; and the farm is highly cultivated and divided into twelve paddocks. Only the best material has been used for fencing. Mr. Bolton has served on the school committee, and is a member of the Courtenay Agricultural and Pastoral Association and a successful exhibitor. He was married, in 1874, to Miss Griffiths, who died in 1877, leaving three daughters. In 1880 he married Miss Kirk, and there is one daughter of this marriage.
Mr. T. Bolton.
Lake Farm (Robert Johnson, proprietor) Kirwee. This estate comprises about 1800 acres and extends into the Aylesbury district. The part which lies in the Aylesbury district consists of about 150 acres, and was taken up by Mr. Hohnson in 1872; the remainder having been subsequently bought in sections ranging from 100 to 600 acres. Lake Farm is well fenced and subdivided, and every paddock is provided with water-races. The pasturage of sheep and the cultivation of grain are carried on extensively, and the land is well adapted for both industries. About 2000 crossbred and Merino sheep are kept on the property; some are fattened for freezing and some sold in the local markets. About 500 acres are sown in oats and wheat, and a considerable area is devoted to the production of turnips and rape.
Mr. Robert Johnson, Owner of Lake Farm, was born at Mumby, Lincolnshire, England, in 1852. After receiving somewhat limited education at a private school he turned his attention to farming, at which he was engaged on his father's farm until his nineteenth year, when he sailed by the ship “Charlotte Gladstone” for New Zealand. On landing at Lyttelton, he immediately made his way to Greendale, where he was employed for about sixteen months by Mr. James Gough. It was early in 1872 that he took up the first section of Lake Farm. Mr. Johnson is a member of the Kirwee school committee, of the Courtenay Road Board, of the Kirwee branch of the New Zealand Farmers' Union, and of the executive committee of the Courtenay Agricultural and Pastoral Association, of which he was for one term chairman; and he is also a director of the Kirwee Saleyards Company. In 1878 he married Miss Efiza Croskell, of Andersby, Lincolnshire, England, and has three sons and six daughters.
“Moy Hall” (James Mackintosh, proprietor), Kirwee. This farm consists of 422 acres and is situated near the railway line, between Kirwee and Darfield, at a distance of about a mile from Kirwee township. Its history dates back to the early days of the settlement of the district, and it has passed through several hands, Mr. Robert Aymus, who was succeeded by Mr. Mackintosh in 1890, being the best known of its former proprietors. “Moy Hall” is well fenced and subdivided. About 100 acres are annually under cultivation, wheat and oats, the chief crops grown, giving a good average yield; turnips; grown extensively for winter feed, also thrive well. The remainder of the property is devoted to sheepfarming. English Leicesters were formerly the favoured breed, but the Shropshire Down is now being introduced into the flocks. The dwellinghouse of the proprietor is a handsome wooden building, near the railway line, and is almost entirely surrounded by pine trees.
Mr. James Mackintosh, Proprietor of “Moy Hall,” was born in Inverness-shire, Scotland, in 1843, and was brought up to farm work. In 1863 he sailed for New Zealand, and landed at Lyttelton in January of the following year. He went immediately to North Canterbury and obtained employment on the Lyndon station, Amuri, where he remained five years. Subsequently he was engaged in carting, and in farm work on a page 737 neighbouring station, and in 1874 commenced to farm on his own account in the Malvern district. Later on he had charge of “Pine-grove,” the well known estate of Mr. George Rutherford, and held the position until 1890, when he resigned to take up his present farm. Mr. Mackintosh is a director of the Kirwee Saleyards Company, and was formerly a member of various local bodies. He takes an interest in religious work, and is a member of the Presbyterian church at Darfield. In 1877 he married Miss Charlotte Robinson, of Addington, and has four sons and three daughters.
O'Malley, George, J.P., Sheepfarmer, Galloway Farm, Kirwee. Mr. O'Malley was born in Galloway, Ireland, in 1847, and came to New Zealand in 1862 in the ship “Mermaid.” He followed various occupations for the first three years. In 1866 he went to the Marlborough diggings, and thence to the West Coast, where he remained only six months He then returned to Canterbury and purchased a waggon and five horses and commenced carting farm produce to the Westland diggings. In 1871 he began farming at Castle Hill, and grew feed for Cobb and Co.'s horses for twelve years. On the breaking out of the Kumara diggings he took fifty-three diggers across the ranges in his five-horse waggon, but as it was found that the prospects of the field had been exaggerated, forty of the men came back with him in the same way. In 1882 Mr. O'Malley disposed of his horses and waggons and farm at Castle Hill, and visited his native country. He went by the s.s. “Arawa,” and returned by the “Coptic.” On his return he purchased his present estate of 650 acres, and named it “Galloway.” Mr. O'Malley's land is devoted chiefly to raising and fattening lambs for the export trade, and he has sent away as many as 900 in one season. Mr. O'Malley has served on the Waimakariri Road Board, and is at present a member of the licensing bench and of the Courtenay Agricultural and Pastoral Association. He was married, in 1875, to Miss Glynn.
Rose Farm, Kirwee, is a compact and fertile property of 303 acres, situated on the Kirwee side of the public road, which divides Darfield from Kirwee. It is conveniently divided into a number of paddocks, each provided with an ample supply of water by means of small channels leading from the main water race, which runs parallel to the public road along its north-eastern boundary. Sheep are kept on Rose Farm, and about seventy acres are annually sown with oats, which yield on an average forty bushels to the acre.
Mr. William Arthur Williams, Proprietor of Rose Farm, was born in 1868, at Irwell, and is the eldest son of Mr. A. B Williams, of Thorn Farm. He was educated at Brookside public school, and after-wards trained to farming on his father's property, where he continued to work till 1894. In that year he bought his present farm, and removed to Kirwee. Mr. Williams was married, in 1898, to Miss Elizabeth May Simpson, of Kirwee, sister to the well known long-distance runner, and has two sons.
Mr. W. A. Williams.
Spooner, John Farmer, Kirwee. Mr. Spooner's farm is 401 acres in extent, and is situated between the railway line and the water-race, near the township of Kirwee. It is freehold property; and an area of 300 acres, separated from the main portion of the farm by a public road, is held on lease from the Selwyn County Council. The whole is fenced and subdivided, and the freehold portion is highly improved. Sheepfarming is carried on exclusively, and every convenience which aids the success of the industry is on hand. The standard flock, consisting of Shropshires and crossbreds, numbers 500, and 300 more are bought and sold annually. Turnips and rape are grown extensively. Mr. Spooner's residence is well built, and is prettily surrounded by shelter trees, and the outbuildings comprise shearers' rooms, trap-houses, stables and general storage accommodation. Mr. Spooner was born in Warwickshire, England, in 1859, and educated at the Tamworth grammar school. He was afterwards engaged at farm work under his grandfather, Mr. Hand, of Tamworth, until he sailed for New Zealand in 1880. On landing at Lyttelton he went as a cadet to the Highbank station, Rakaia, and took a part in the general work, and latterly in the supervision of that station for five years. In 1885 he went as assistant manager to “Corwar,” a large station adjoining “Highbank,” and later on became manager. He held that position until 1894, when he resigned to take up his present farm at Kirwee. In addition to working his own place Mr. Spooner manages a farm of 500 acres at Ellesmere, the property of Mr. William Allen. Mr. Spooner has always taken an active part in matters affecting his district. When at Rakaia he was chairman of Barrhill school committee, and churchwarden at the Barrhill English church; and he is now a member of the Canterbury and Courtenay Agricultural and Pastoral Associations, of the Kirwee branch of the New Zealand Farmers' Union, of the Kirwee school committee, and is churchwarden at the local English church. He was married, in 1893, to Miss Crosbie, of Christchurch, and has three sons and two daughters.
Welsh, William John, Farmer and Horse Trainer, Kirwee. Mr. Welsh was born in Belfast, Ireland, in 1865, and at the age of two years went with his parents to New York, America. In 1872 the family went to England and in the same year sailed by the ship “Adamant” for New Zealand. Shortly after landing young Welsh commenced his education at the Boys' High School, Christ-church, and completed it at the public school, at Rakaia, where his father had established a saddlery business. After leaving school, at an early age, he determined to learn the saddlery trade and commenced to work for his father, but, in 1879, he left home and went to Sydney. New South Wales. Almost immediately on landing he obtained employment in the firm of Messrs Hellier Brothers, of Sussex Street, where he remained for about eighteen months In 1881 Mr. Welsh returned to New Zealand, and has since been engaged in farming and in the training of trotting horses.