The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
[West Melton] — West Melton
West Melton is fourteen miles west from Christchurch, whence it is reached through Riccarton and Yaldhurst. The nearest railway station is Weedons, four miles distant. West Melton is a large tract of agricultural and pastoral country. Though the land is generally of a rather light quality, a return of thirty bushels of oats, and twenty of wheat to the acre is usually obtained, and sometimes there are still better results. Rape and turnips are grown extensively, and large numbers of sheep are raised and fattened. It was about the year 1864 that the first settlers arrived at West Melton. Among them were Messrs John Hill, A. C. Truscott, Louis Coutts, C. Newton, John Jones, E. Vaughan, A. Sanderson, H. Trickett, and H. T. Shepherd. Mr. Trickett named the district. The township has an Anglican and a Wesleyan church, a public school, hotel, store, and a blacksmith's shop. Monthly sales, which are well attended, are held in the yards of the West Melton Saleyards Company. West Melton has a tennis, cricket, and also an athletic and cycling club, which is affiliated with the League of New Zealand Wheelmen. A public library, which adjoins the public school, contains about 800 well chosen volumes.