The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Glentanner, Station, Lake Tekapo. This estate is the property of Mr. L. G. D Acland. It was originally taken up by Messrs Dark Brothers in 1858, and named after the ship which brought them to Lyttelton, where they landed on the 3rd of October, 1857. After passing through various hands, the property was purchased by Mr. Acland in 1897. It consists of 60,000 acres and carries a well bred flock of Merino sheep. The improvements include five miles of fencing and the buildings required to work the place. Mr Acland's residence is charmingly situated; it overlooks the Tasman Valley and is sheltered by a healthy plantation of larch trees.
Mr. Leopold George Dyke Acland, the Proprietor, was born in Christchurch in 1876. He is a son of the late Mr. T. Acland, of Christchurch. From the first he followed pastoral pursuits, and was a cadet on the Cracroft station. Mr. Acland went to South Africa as a member of the Canterbury troop of New Zealand Rough Riders, who left Christchurch on the 17th of February, 1900, for the purpose of taking part in the war with the Transvaal and Orange Free State Republics.
Tasman Downs is the property of Mr. Emit Schlapfer. It was originally part of the Balmoral run, and was purchased by the present proprietor in 1895. “Tasman Downs” is a freehold property of 1500 acres, and is stocked with sheep of the Cheviot strain, and good crops of turnips, oats, and grass-seed are raised on the farm. The homestead is charmingly situated on the banks of a small lake in the centre of the property, and commands a fine view of Lake Pukaki and Mount Cook.
Mr. Emil Schlapfer was born in Switzerland, in 1870, and followed farming during his early years. In 1885 he came out to New South Wales in the ship “Yarra,” and crossed to New Zealand in the “Rotomahana.” He settled with his brother on the Swiss settlement in the Auckland district for four years and then removed to South Canterbury. Mr. Schlapfer was married, in 1893, to Mis Badham, and has one daughter.
Mr. and Mrs E. Schlapfer and Child.
Tekapo Station, Lake Tekapo This station is the property of Mr. Andrew Cowan, and was originally taken up by Mr. John Hay in 1858. After being owned in turn by Messrs McPherson Brothers and Mr. Cox, it was purchased by the present proprietor in 1876. It comprises 27,000 acres and carries a good flock of Merino sheep.
Mr. Andrew Cowan was born in Ross-shire, Scotland, where he was educated and followed a pastoral life during his early years. He came to New Zealand in 1863 by the ship “David G. Fleming,” and settled at once in the Mackenzie Country, where he followed station life for a number of years. At that time the runs were being fenced, and a large number of men were employed by the runholders. page 964 All the haulage was done by bullocks and horses, and as there were no regularly formed roads or bridges, all the material had to be carted along the primitive tracks of the district. Mr. Cowan was a member of the Mount Cook Road Board, and represented the Tekapo riding on the Mackenzie County Council for eight years. He was a prominent officer of the Caledonian Society, treasurer and collector of funds for the Presbyterian church, and chairman of the local school committee. He was married, in 1871, to Miss Andrews, and they have eleven children.
Mr. and Mrs A. Cowan.