The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Grampian Hills Station (Mr. W. Grant, proprietor; Mr. Donald McRae, manager), Burke's Pass, Mackenzie Country. This property was originally taken up in 1856 by Messrs J. T. and H. Ford, and after changing hands several times it was purchased by the present proprietor in 1893. It contains 45,000 acres, of which 2500 acres are freehold, and carries 18,500 Merino and crossbred sheep. The improvements consist of good buildings, and one hundred miles of wire fencing, with plantations.
Mr. Donald McRae, the Manager, was born in Inverness-shire, Scotland, in 1868, and educated in his native county, and in Ross-shire. He came to New Zealand in 1887 in the s.s. “Tainui.” At first he followed station life at Benmore, and subsequently entered the service of Mr. Grant, who appointed him to his present position in 1895, Mr. McRae is an active member of the Caledonian Society and of the Collie Dog Club.
Mr. D. McRae.
Guthrie, Robert, Runholder, Burke's Pass. Mr. Guthrie was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, and was articled in Edinburgh to the profession of the law. He found, however, that the closeness of the work was impairing his health, and he withdrew from his articles and travelled in Canada and the Malay Archipelago. Mr. Guthrie returned to Scotland and came out to New Zealand in 1876, in the ship “Corlic,” which brought only twelve passengers, who paid their way and received land grants from the Government. After travelling for some time in New Zealand and Australia. Mr. Guthrie came back to New Zealand and settled down to station life on “The Wolds,” in the Mackenzie Country. Four years later he received the management of Blamslie station, situated on the Opawa river, Albury. He subsequently entered the service of Mr. J. S. Rutherford as manager of the Mistake station of 80,000 acres, and held the position for ten years. In 1893 he took up his present run, which is known as “Airies,” on which he depastures a flock of about 4000 crossbred sheep. Mr. Guthrie is a member of the Mackenzie County Council and of the local school committee. He is also an active official of the Mackenzie Caledonian Society and of the Mackenzie Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and is a Justice of the Peace for the colony. Mr. Guthrie was married, in 1880, to Miss Rolleston, and has seven sons and three daughters.
McLeod, Malcolm, Sheepfarmer, Burke's Pass. Mr. McLeod was born at Bragar, Stornoway, Scotland, in 1859, and finished his education at the Glasgow Free Church Normal College, where he qualified as a teacher. After teaching in several schools in Lewis, he became headmaster of the Cross parish school when he was only nineteen years of age. In January, 1879, he arrived in New Zealand by the ship “Taranaki.” Since his arrival in the colony Mr. McLeod (preferring other pursuits to his profession) has page 962 been in turn station clerk, shepherd, station manager, coach proprietor, and hotelkeeper, and he is now a sheepfarmer, with three small runs in the Mackenzie Country. He devotes his properties chiefly to cattle grazing. Mr. McLeod has been chairman of the Burke's Pass school committee since 1891, and became representative for Tekapo riding in the Mackenzie County Council in 1892. In 1883 he did much to organise the Mackenzie County Caledonian Society, which is now amalgamated with that of Fairlie, and was twice president. Mr. McLeod is Worshipful Master of the Fairlie Lodge of Freemasons. He was married, in 1885, to Miss Bain, daughter of Mr. Donald Bain, of Highfield, Burke's Pass, and has three sons and three daughters.
Mr. M. McLeod.
300 Head of Cattle being driven from Tasman Valley to Washdyke. (Photo presented by Mr. M. McLeod.
McGregor, John, Sheepfarmer, Burke's Pass. Mr. McGregor was born in Banffshire, “Chariot of Fame,” in January, 1863, and im-Scotland, in 1840, and was brought up to farming. He came to Lyttelton in the ship mediately on landing was engaged by Mr. Henry Ford to go as shepherd on the Gramplans run, Mackenzie Country, and he drove 3000 sheep there from Waimakariri. Mr. McGregor stayed at “The Grampians” for five years, and then had charge of Gray Hills and Whale's Back stations for several years. In 1874 he bought Glenmore station, consisting of 40,000 acres at Tekapo, and carried it on for sixteen years. Mr. McGregor then went to Burke's Pass, and bought his present property of 500 acres known as “Glenavon,” and carries on sheepfarming. He also owns eighty acres with his residence in the township. In 1902 he bought the Rona run of 1400 acres, which almost adjoins “Glenavon.” Mr. McGregor was for eight years a member of the Mount Cook Road Board, and in 1883 organised a petition for having the road district formed into the Mackenzie county. He succeeded in his undertaking, and acted as chairman for the county council for ten years. He had twenty miles to ride to meeting and yet he missed only three in the sixteen years of his connection with the road board and county council. Mr. McGregor has served on the local school committee, and was a promoter of the Burke's Pass Domain Board, of which he is chairman. He was for nine years a member of the Waitaki Licensing Committee, and for twenty years was secretary of the Tekapo Jockey Club. He has been a Justice of the Peace since 1882. The first trout turned into Lake Alexandrina were brought from Christchurch by Mr. McGregor. He was married, in 1878, to a daughter of the late Mr. Stent, of Melbourne, and has six sons and three daughters.
Mr. J. McGregor.
Sawdon Station, Burke's Pass. This station is the property of Mr. A. R. Thomas. It was originally taken up in 1857, and was purchased by the present proprietor in 1897. It consists of 30,000 acres of freehold and leasehold land, of which 700 acres are cultivated and laid down in grass. There are 10,000 Merino sheep on the run, which is divided into four blocks, with a number of smaller sized paddocks. The homestead is situated 2000 feet above the level of the sea. It overlooks Burke's Pass and is sheltered by twenty acres of well-selected trees.
Mr. A. R. Thomas was born at Cardiff, South Wales, England, in 1869, and educated at Clifton and Bath. He came out to the colony in 1887 and entered the Agricultural College at Lincoln to learn farming. Mr. Thomas subsequently visited England, and on coming back to New Zealand he spent some time in the bush country of the North Island. He was married, in 1899, to Miss E. Murray, of Greenpark.