The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Springston is seventeen miles from Christchurch on the Christchurch-Southbirdge railway. It is situated midway between Ellesmere and Lincoln, and is bounded by the river Selwyn, and the districts of Burnham, Broadfields and Lincoln. The village, which is rather scattered, has an Anglican and a Wesleyan church, a library, public school, post, telegraph and money order office, a hotel, and a general store. Towards Lincoln the district is particularly rich and fertile, and produces very heavy crops, but towards Burnham on the west, the soil is of a lighter quality, but fattens large numbers of sheep. The district takes its name from the old Springs station, one of the estates taken up in the very early days of Canterbury by Messrs C. P. Cox and J. E. Fitzgerald. The old homestead, which has lately been replaced by a fine modern house, is within a short distance of Lincoln, and was named the “Springs” on account of the springs or water holes which abounded on a portion of the estate. In the early days large numbers of cattle were fattened on the station. On the subdivision and sale of the property in smaller holdings, the land was eagerly bought up, and the flax covered swamp has been converted into a cultivated country, dotted with beautiful clumps of trees, browsed by large herds of fine cattle, and rich in cereal and root crops. The river Selwyn, which forms the southern boundary of the district, is noted for trout, and at its entrance to Lake Ellesmere, fishermen sometimes catch fish weighing up to twenty pounds apiece. The district of Springston has a population of about 650 persons.
The South Springston School was first opened in June, in 1897, with an attendance of twenty-four children, and the present number on the roll is fifty-eight. Mr. Robert Malcolm has been headmaster since the school opened, and has for his assistant Miss Rose Anderson. Mr. Malcolm who is a native of Scotland, came to New Zealand twenty years ago, and received his education and training as a teacher in the North Canterbury district, where he has been employed for the greater part of the fifteen years covered by his experience.
The Springston Creamery, which was built in 1892, is centrally situated at the junction of the main roads of the district, and within a short distance of the railway station. It forms one of the numerous feeders of the Central Dairying Company, and has two de Laval cream separators, and is driven by an eight-horse power steam engine.
Mr. John Lowe, Manager of the Springston Creamery, was born at Springston, and followed the occupation of a flour miller for seven years. the confinement of this occupation did not suit his health, and he began working at the Springston creamery in 1897. Shortly afterwards he was appointed manager of the Marshland branch, and in 1899 he returned to take the management of the Springston creamery, which is the third largest of those owned by the Central Dairying Company. He has been a member of the Order of Druids for over six years.
Mr. J. Lowe.
Mr. R. J. Withell, formerly Manager of the Springston Creamery, was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1865, and came to New Zealand, with his parents, in 1866, in the ship “John Templer.” He was educated at Brookside and was brought up to dairying and farming. He served at the Doyleston and Ladbrook creameries, and was appointed manager at Springston in September, 1897. Mr. Withell was married, in 1898, to Miss page 678 McLauchlan, daughter of Mr. J. McLauchlan, of Ruapuna.
Mr. and Mrs R. J. Withell.
Beaumont, James, Farmer, Lonsdale Farm, Springston. Mr. Beaumont was born on the Lonsdale estates, Westmorland, England, in 1829, and passed his early years on his father's farm. He came to New Zealand in the ship “Roman Empire,” in 1858, and settled first on the Lincoln Road. A few years later he purchased land at Springston, and now has a farm of 210 acres, where he carries on mixed farming, and supplies milk daily to the local creamery. Mr. Beaumont has always taken a deep interest in church and educational affairs. He became responsible for the money that was raised to build the first church at Springston, and served as churchwarden for eight years; he also served for five years on the school committee and three on road board. Mr. Beaumont was one of the earliest settlers in the district, and had to put up with the hardships of the pioneer days. He was married, in 1856, to Miss Ray, and has one son and four daughters.
Mr. J. Beaumont.
Cook, George, Farmer, Springston Mr Cook was born at Loughgall, County Armagh, Ireland, in 1835, and, with his wife, arrived in Lyttelton by the ship “Mystery.” Shortly after his arrival he was employed as shepherd on the Racecourse Hill station, and remained there five years. He was for some time afterwards employed by Messrs Hill and Brown, of Malvern Hills, and by Mr. Malet. In 1873 he started farming at Courtenay on 270 acres, which, seven years later, he gave up to his two sons. Mr. Cook removed in 1880 to Springston, where he had bought about thirty acres; this property has been increased by fifty-six acres, the property of his second wife. Mr. Cook's first wife bore him two sons, and one son has been born of his second marriage. His second marriage was contracted with the widow of Mr. Johnston, who died, leaving a family of eight; three sons are now (1903) in prosperous positions in South Africa, and three daughters are married. Mrs Cook was born in County Down, Ireland, and arrived in New Zealand by the “Chariot of Fame” in 1862.
Crump, Paul, Farmer, Fairburn Farm, Springston. Mr. Crump was born in Gloucestershire, England in 1848, and landed at Lyttelton in 1862, by the ship “Mystery.” After a few years of experience he removed to Springston in 1866, and bought ninety-six acres of land, covered with flax, water and scrub. With years of hard work he got his farm fenced, drained, and cultivated, and has since then increased the area of his holding to 450 acres. The heavier soil is devoted to crops, and the lighter land grazes from 300 to 600 sheep. Mr. Crump is a member of the Springston Domain Board, and of the Farmers' Union, and has for years been a member of the Springston school committee. He is a sharebroker of the New Zealand Farmers' Co-operative Association, and the Central Dairying Company. Mr. Crump took an active part in the building of the Springston Wesleyan church. He married Miss Leigh, and has had a family of thirteen children, of whom one has died.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. P. Crump.
Goodrick, Robert, Farmer, Terrington Farm, Springston South. Mr. Goodrick was born at Terrington near Castle Howard, Yorkshire, England, in 1831, and arrived at Lyttelton in 1855, by the ship “Caroline Agnes.” For two years after his arrival he was employed as ploughman to Mr. John Deans, of Riccarton, and for five years afterwards was manager of Mr. Thomas Rawley's estate in the same district. Having saved sufficient capital, he started farming on his own account at Prebbleton, on a farm of fifty acres, which he sold in 1867, and bought his property of 100 acres at Springston. The land was then in its native state as a swamp covered with raupo, and portions of it full of black pine and totara stumps. It is now all in a high state of cultivation. Mr. Goodrick has latterly given up the active management of his farm which is worked by his sons. He has never taken any part in local affairs. Mr. Goodrick has been married twice, and three sons and one daughter, born of the first marriage, are now alive.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. R. Goodrick.
Kimber, Henry, Farmer “Sutton Royal,” Springston. Mr. Kimber is the third son of Mr. Stephen Kimber, one of the pioneer settlers. He was born in Wiltshire, England, in 1845, and accompanied his father to Lyttelton by the ship “Castle Eden,” in 1851. Mr. Kimber has attained his present prosperous position through energy and hard work. At first he drove a bullock team, and did other similar work, and worked with his father, from his arrival at Greenpark until 1870. Some years afterwards he settled on his present fine estate as Day's Road, Springston. In 1882 he purchased the “Grange.” Irewell, but after a year he disposed of his interest and returned to “Sutton Royal,” a highly cultivated farm of 300 acres, on which he conducts general farming and dairying. Mr. Kimber has always taken a keen interest in the advancement of the district, and has been for eight years a member of the Springston Road Board, and has been a member of the South page 679 Springston school committee. He is a member of the Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and a shareholder in the Central Dairy Company, the New Zealand Farmers' Co-operative Association, the Midland Saleyards, and the Broadfields Shearing Shed; and owner of a fine threshing machine and chaff-cutter. Mr. Kimber married Miss Eliza Day, only daughter of Mr. Daniel Day, one of the early settler who arrived in New Zealand in 1857, by the ship “Glentanner,” and who is now (1903) living at Lincoln Road; and there is a family of four sons and six daughters. The eldest son is married.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. and Mrs H. Kimber and Daughter.
McMeekan, William, Farmer, Springston. Mr. McMeekan is the eldest son of the late Mr. Robert McMeekan, of Springston, who came to New Zealand in the fifties, and died at Springston in 1895. He was born in Springston, in 1865, and educated at the local school. In 1893 he started farming on land adjoining his present farm, but sold out in 1895, and bought his present property of 331 acres, formerly owned by Mr. Henry Trott, of Halswell. This is one of the finest farms in the district, and Mr McMeekan carries on a system of general farming. He is a well known exhibitor of fat lambs at the Leeston and Christchurch shows, and was successful in obtaining two first prizes in 1900 at Christchurch, and three first prizes at Leeston, and two seconds at Christchurch in 1901. He has been a member of the Springston school committee. Mr. McMeekan married Miss Taylor, of Springston, and has two sons and one daughter.
Mr. and Mrs W. McMeekan.
Pannett, Henry, Sheepfarmer, Springston. Mr. Pannett was born in 1839, in Sussex, England, and came to New Zealand, in the ship “Lady Nugent,” in 1851. In 1852 he entered the service of the late Mr. R. Chapman, of Springbank, and remained with him for eight years. Mr. Pannett took up his first land in 1862, but sold it in 1877 to the Canterbury Agricultural College. In the following year he purchased his present property of 600 acres. Mr. Pannett established his herd of Shorthorn cattle in 1860, by the purchase of an imported heifer from Mr Chapman, and another heifer bred by Mr. Bluett. This second purchase was of the Jessamine tribe, by “Victor” out of “Jessamine 25th,” by “Royal Butterflag.” Mr. Pannett has never used any but sires of the highest breeding for stud purposes. His Southdown sheep are no less celebrated than his cattle. It was in 1876 that he founded his flock, by the purchase of twenty ewes and one ram from the late Mr. James Muskery, of Prebbleton. The sheep thus bought were descended from four ewes and one ram bred by the Duke of Richmond, and were the first selection from their progeny. A ram imported by Colonel Packe and bred by Lord Walsingham was added, and other rams were obtained from Messrs Shand, of Avon Lodge, Riccarton; from Mr. Strue (imported by him from the Sandringham flock); and from Messrs Deans and Garforth, and other colonial breeders of note. Naturally Mr. Pannett's sheep have held their own wherever they have appeared, and in whatever company. Mr. Pannett was married, in 1862, to Miss Durey, and has one son and three daughters.
Pearson, Samuel, Farmer, Ti Palm, Springston South. Mr. Pearson was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1839, and when sixteen years of age came to New Zealand by the ship “Himalaya.” He joined his brother the late Mr. William Pearson, who owned a large property at Springston. About the year 1871, Mr. Pearson began farming on his own account on about seventy acres of partially improved land, which is now in the highest state of cultivation, and on which he conducts general farming. He is a member of the Farmers' Union, and a shareholder in the New Zealand Farmers' Co-operative Association. Mr. Pearson married Miss Lucas, and there is a family of one son and three daughters.
Pole, Alexander, Farmer, Springston Scuth. Mr. Pole is a son of the late Captain James Henderson Pole, who brought out a number of immigrants to Lyttelton, by the ship “Cameo,” in 1858. He was born at Leith, Scotland, in 1864, and in his youth followed a seafaring life under his father. In 1881 he came to New Zealand, and followed farming at Kaiapoi, Amberley, and Cheviot. He took up a block of land at Opunake in 1891, and farmed successfully for about ten years. After disposing of his interest page 680 there he came to Springston South, and bought his present property of about ninety acres, on which he has erected a handsome residence. Mr. Pole married Miss Roberts, second daughter of Mr. Frederick Roberts, one of the pioneers of Springston, and has two children.
Mr. and Mrs A. Pole.
Powell, J., Farmer, Grove Farm, Bladville, near Springston. Mr. Powell was born in 1840, in Gloucestershire, England. In his early years he followed farming, and came to New Zealand in 1862, in the ship “Echunga.” In 1863 he went to work for Mr. Pannett at Springston, but soon took up land on his own account from the Crown. This he disposed of to take up a larger farm on the river Hawkins, but that, too, was sold in its turn. In 1866 Mr. Powell bought the first portion of his present holding, which now contains about 290 acres. Mr. Powell grows grain with good results, and raises and fattens sheep for the export trade. He has taken very little part in public affairs, though repeatedly asked to do so, but he has served on the school committee. Mr. Powell was married, in 1866, to Miss Crump, and has three sons and five daughters.
Mr. J. Powell.
Ryan, Michael Frederick, Tara Farm, Springston South. Mr. Ryan was born in 1886 at Broadfield, and is the eldest son of Mr. Michael Ryan, a prominent farmer of Broadfield, and one of the earliest settlers in that district. He was educated at Shand's Track school, and learned farming under his father's tuition. Mr. Ryan began farming on his own account at Weedons, but sold out in 1894, and entered into possession of his present property. His farm, which formed part of the original Hatton estate, consists of 300 acres of very rich land, which was bought by his father Mr. Michael Ryan, in 1884, and has been brought from its original native condition to a state of advanced cultivation. It is thoroughly fenced, and subdivided into convenient paddocks, and has a handsome residence surrounded by well laid out grounds. Mr. Ryan carries on general farming, and is a large grower of peas, beans, and potatoes for a well known Auckland firm of seedsmen. He is also a successful breeder of draught and light horses. Mr. Ryan is a member of the New Zealand Farmers' Union, and was delegate for the Springston branch at the Conference in 1902. He is also a shareholder in the Farmers' Cooperative Association. Mr. Ryan married Miss O'Hara, daughter of Mr. O'Hara, of Sydenham, and niece of Inspector Pender, and has one daughter.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. and Mrs. M. F. Ryan
Roberts, Frederick, Farmer, Springston South. Mr. Roberts was born in 1826, at Harrowgate, Yorkshire, England, and came to Lyttelton in 1866, by the ship “Brothers' Pride.” After farming in various places, he bought his present farm, in 1868. It was then covered with the usual flax and raupo, but is now in a high state of cultivation, and devoted to dairying, and growing green crops. Mr. Roberts has never taken any part in local politics, but has devoted his time to the cultivation and improvement of his farm. Before leaving England he married Miss Brown, and of a family of nine children, three sons and three daughters are alive. One daughter is married.
Tyson, Joseph, Farmer, Day's Road, Springston South. Mr. Tyson was born in Cumberland, England, in 1841, and arrived at the Bluff, via Melbourne, in 1863. He was contracting at Invercargill in making drains, and forming streets. Owing to the stoppage of work there he came to Canterbury in 1864, and was employed at Upper Riccarton. He began farming at Springston on sixty acres of freehold, which he has since increased by about 110 acres, on which he conducts mixed farming and dairying. He is a member of the Farmers' Union, and a shareholder in the New Zealand Farmers' Co-operative Association. Mr. Tyson took a trip Home for a year in 1882. His wife died in 1897, leaving a family of three sons and one daughter.
Mr. J. Tyson and the late Mrs Tyson.
Trott, George, Farmer, Castle Farm, Springston. Mr Trott was born in Somersetshire, and came to New Zealand with his parents, in 1860, in the ship “William Miles.” After staying two years about Christchurch, his father purchased a farm near Lincoln, and there Mr. George Trott passed his early years. He began to acquire his present property in 1867, with the purchase of fifty acres, and the area has been gradually increased to 728 acres. The land grows grain, turnips, rape and other crops to perfection, and a large number of sheep and lambs are annually fattened on the property. For breeding lambs for the export trade, Mr. Trott uses Romney Marsh and Border Leicester rams. The improvements on Mr. Trott's property include a large dwellinghouse, garden, orchard, plantation, and good fences. Mr. Trott was married, in 1883, to Miss Ferrick, and has two sons and four daughters.
Mr. and Mrs G. Trott.
Ward, George, Farmer, “Woodfield,” Springston. Mr. Ward was born in Devonshire, England, in 1856, and lived with his parents in the Channel Islands till 1875, when he came to New Zealand, by the ship “Waitangi.” He was first employed by the late Mr. Twigger, of Lincoln, and for three years worked on the land now occupied by the Agricultural and Pastoral Association grounds. He was afterwards employed by Mr. Shand, of Riccarton, and during that time he successfully speculated in land. In 1890 he bought his present farm “Woodfield,” which contains about 170 acres, and adjoins the old Springs homestead. The land has long been known as particularly fertile, and produces enormous root crops. Mr. Ward has lately disposed of about 120 aces, and on page 681 the balance of fifty-four acres, he conducts dairying and mixed farming. He has been for over twenty years a member of the Order of Foresters. Mr. Ward married Miss Bougen, of Christchurch, and has a family of two daughters, the eldest of whom is married to Mr Sydney Smith, son of Mr. G. A. Smith, Broom Farm, Lincoln.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. G. Ward.
Watson, James William, Farmer, Hatton Farm, Springston South. Mr. Watson is the eldest son of the late Mr. William Morgan Watson, of Upper Riccarton, and arrived with his parents by the ship “Cashmere” in 1855, when he was two years old. In youth he was employed on his father's farms at Upper Riccarton and West Melton. He began farming on his own account at Tai Tapu in 1885, and bought his present property in 1900. Hatton Farm consists of 254 acres of rich fertile land, on which Mr. Watson conducts general farming and dairying, keeps a fine herd of Shorthorns, and breeds and fattens lambs. He takes an interest in local matters and is a member of the South Springston school committee, and superintendent of the Anglican Sunday school at Springston. Mr. Watson married Miss Hodgkinson, daughter of one of the early Canterbury settlers, and has seven children living.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. and Mrs J. W. Watson.
Watson, John, Farmer, Greenhill Farm, Springston. Mr. Watson was born at Leithfield, in 1876. After some years of experience in farming he took up land between Woodville and Pahiatua in the North Island, but at the expiration of two years, sold his interest and returned to Leithfield, where he farmed successfully for four years. He then opened a large general store at Leithfield, where he conducted a prosperous business until he took up his present farm of about 121 acres, formerly owned by the late Mr. R. Lumbard. It is one of the early picked farms, and contains some of the finest land in the district. Mr. Watson also owns about eighty acres of lighter land on the Plains, where he runs sheep. He keeps about twenty well bred dairy cows, and breeds some very good light draught horses. Mr. Watson married Miss Lumbard, only daughter of the late Mr. R. Lumbard, one of the pioneer settlers at Springston, and has a family of three children.
Mr. William Collins, sometime of Springston, was one of the early pioneers of New Zealand, and in conjunction with the late Mr. Woon, he started the first newspaper in New Plymouth. Mr. Collins left Taranaki in the early sixties, and was for years manager of the mechanical department of the Christchurch “Press.” He afterwards retired to his farm at Springston, where he remained till his death in 1895, when he left a family of two sons and three daughters.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
The Late Mr. J. Gammack.
Mr. James Rowell, of “Spring Bank,” Springston, was born in Cambridgeshire, England, in 1833, and was in London for five years prior to coming to New Zealand in the year 1859, by the ship “Clontarf.” His first work was a contract to cut a drain from the river Avon through Mr Fuche's land, to the English cemetery in Christchurch. He afterwards helped to make the Bridle Path from the Ferry to the Ginger Beer Shop—a name well known in the early days. After that he helped to make the Avon cutting towards New Brighton. He also helped to form Kilmore Street, Windmil. Road, and Lincoln Road. Mr. Rowell then took up his first land on the Springs track in 1861, and settled on it during the following year; but he afterwards sold out, and bought his present well kept farm of ninety acres, on Day's Road, where he farmed for a number of years until he let it to his sons. Mr. Rowell afterwards bought the Springston Hotel and kept it for nine years. He then retired and went to live on the Riccarton Road, and he and Mrs Rowell and their daughter subsequently took a trip to England. Mr. Rowell owns property in the Riccarton, Templeton, and Springs districts. He married a daughter of Mr. Philip Martin, who kept the Black Horse Hotel on Lincoln Road for many years. Mrs Rowell was born in Staffordshire, England, in 1836. She came out in the same ship as Mr. Rowell, and they were married during the year of their arrival. Mr. and Mrs Rowell have four sons and seven daughters.
Mr. and Mrs J. Rowell.