The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Mr. William Coop, J.P., sometime of Little River, was born in Bury, Lancashire, England, in 1831. He was educated at Radcliffe private school, and also gained some tuition at a night school conducted by Mr. John Just, headmaster of Bury Grammar School. After spending some years at sawmilling work in England, Mr. Coop sailed in 1854 for Australia. He worked for seven years in Victoria, first upon the goldfields, and, later on, he started, with his father, lead pipe and corrugated iron works in Melbourne. In 1863 he landed at Lyttelton, and almost immediately went to Little River, where, in partnership with the late Mr. William White, he started the Forsyth sawmills. He bought a section of land higher up the valley, and in 1873 he bought a larger area and established the Springvale sawmill, which is now conducted by his eldest son. The machinery for the Forsyth sawmill was imported from Ballarat and Melbourne. The boiler and engine were landed at Lyttelton, and thence removed to Sumner, whence they were drawn by bullocks, via Christchurch, to Little River. Mr. Coop took considerable interest in local matters, and had at various times been a member of many local bodies. He was married, in 1858, to Miss Mary Jane Holt, of Bury, and had a family of eight sons and four daughters. Mr. Coop died at Little River in 1897.
The Late Mr. W. Coop.
Mr. Joseph Price, sometime of “Kelvin Grove,” Price's Valley, Little River, was born in 1810 at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England. When thirteen years of age he went to sea in a trading vessel, plying between England and France; and, six years later, sailed for the colonies. For some years he was engaged in trading along the coast of New South Wales, but afterwards entered the New Zealand waters, where, until 1852, he was employed almost continuously in the whaling trade. In the latter part of 1852, he commenced farming in Price's Valley, Little River, where he secured a run of about 2550 acres, afterwards known as “Kelvin Grove,” which he continued to work until his death in June, 1901. Mr. Price was for a considerable time a member of the Little River Road Board. He was married in 1848, to Miss Jane Scott, of Sydney, and left a family of six sons and five daughters. His widow, who is one of the oldest residents in the neighbourhood, still occupies the homestead; but the estate is let to Mr. W. Birdling.
The late Mr. J. Price.
Mrs J. Price.