The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Gebbie's Valley is a fine sheep-farming district on the Peninsula, twenty-three miles by rail from Christchurch, on the Christchurch-Little River railway line. A fine road for coaches and bicycles runs through the valley to Governor's Bay. The valley is named after the late Mr. Gebbie, one of the pioneer settlers, and the country is devoted to sheepfarming. On the flats large crops of wheat and other grain are grown, as the land is very fertile. The district is a prosperous one, and the lands are still held by the original owners or their descendants. Fine views of Lake Ellesmere and the neighbouring country are obtainable from the hills, whence the gazer also sees the Pacific Ocean to the east and south, and, away northwards and westwards, the Canterbury Plains stretching to the edge of the Southern Alps. The local post office receives and despatches a mail four times a week, and it has also a telephone service.
Gebbie, J. C., Sheepfarmer, Gebbie's Valley.—Mr. J. C. Gebbie is the eldest son of the late Mr. John Gebbie, and was born in 1866. He was educated at Gebbie's Valley school, and passed his early years in helping his father to manage the property, to the full management of which he succeeded at his father's death. Mr. Gebbie takes an active part in local affairs. He was married, in 1894, to Miss Wethey, and has one son and one daughter, who make the fourth generation of the name in the valley.
Nutt, Ernest Edward, Sheepfarmer, Gebbie's Valley. Mr. Nutt is the fourth son of Mr. Samuel Nutt, an early settler of Tai Tapu and Little River. He was born at Tai Tapu, where he was educated and brought up to farming. About 1891 he started farming on his present property, which consists of about 1,200 acres, a large portion of which is rich swamp land. The farm carries about 1,200 sheep and 200 head of cattle. Mr. Nutt is well known as a breeder of draught and light horses. He married Miss Bayley, daughter of Mr. Robert Bayley, one of the pioneer settlers of Akaroa, and owner of the Waeckerle Hotel.
Streeter, John, Farmer, Gebbie's Valley. Mr. Streeter was born in Adelaide, South Australia, in 1849, and until his departure for New Zealand, was educated by a private tutor. He arrived at Lyttelton with his father, Mr. James Streeter, in 1859, and was engaged in farming successively at Tai Tapu, Greenpark, Gebbie's Valley, and Rangiora, until he finally settled at Gebbie's Valley in 1893. His property consists of 107 acres of freehold, and 180 acres of Government leasehold land, all of which is fenced and in thorough working order. Sheep grazing, grass seed growing, and cropping are carried on; and milk is supplied to the local creamery. Mr. Streeter was married, in 1876, to Miss Eliza Wallace, of Tai Tapu, and has three sons and one daughter.
Mr. John Gebbie, of Gebbie's Valley, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1822, and came out to the Colony under the New Zealand Association in 1840, in the ship “Aurora.” After passing three years in Wellington he came to Riccarton in 1843. He settled at the head of Port Cooper, (now Lyttelton), in 1845, and leased land from the natives, as he could not get possession of, or a transfer for the land, which he had bought in London. He subsequently took up the valley, which came to be known by his name, and stocked the land with dairy cattle, the produce of which was sold chiefly in Wellington. Mr. Gebbie died in 1850, and the valley became the property of his second son, Mr. John Gebbie, who was born at Petone, Wellington, in 1840. He greatly improved the valley as a property. While doing this he also took an active part in public affairs, and was a member of the Akaroa County Council, and the road board, a director of the Saleyards Company, and chairman of the local school committee. In 1865 he married Miss Cryer, and when he died in 1888 he left a family of four sons and five daughters.