The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Waikari is a flourishing settlement close to the railway line. The station is forty-nine miles from Christchurch, and stands at an elevation of 773 feet above the level of the sea. The business of the postal department is conducted at the railway station. There are four churches, two hotels, and several stores in the township, in which the Waipara Road Board, which has jurisdiction over the roads of the settlement, has its office. Waikari is in the county of Ashley, and the population, at the census of 1901, was set down as 417; the Waikari Flat, close by, had a population of thirty-seven. As a pastoral district, Waikari has an enviable reputation. The wool of its halfbred flocks is unsurpassed in the colony; it is noted for its fineness of fibre, and invariably obtains the best prices in the local market. The celebrated Weka Pass is not far from Waikari. There are a few homesteads in its neighbourhood, and formerly it had a hotel. At the census of 1901, Weka Pass had a population of twenty-four.
The Waikari Railway Station And Post And Telegraph Office is built of wood and iron, and contains a separate room for the postal work and the stationmaster's office. The railway station was opened at Waikari, in 1883, and the post and telegraph business was conducted at a local store for some years, but the two departments have been combined since about the year 1890. Six trains pass daily through Waikari station. Mails are received and despatched twice every day, and there is telephone connection with Hawarden.
Mr. Charles Frederick Somerfield, Stationmaster and Postmaster at Waikari, was born in Auckland in 1870. He joined the railway service in 1884, and was appointed to his present position in 1901. Mr. Somerfield was married, in 1895, to a daughter of the late Mr. D. Lynch, and has two sons and one daughter.
Wohnus, Martin, Baker, Waikari. Mr. Wohnus began his business in 1879, and it has increased very largely with the growth of the district. The building, which is of wood and iron, contains a shop, a dwelling-house, and two storerooms. At the back are the stables and other buildings; and there is a large bakehouse, with two ovens, each capable of holding 140 large loaves. Three horses and two carts are kept in use, and bread is delivered for twenty miles around. Mr. Wohnus is the only baker in Waikari, and has gained a large market for his bread, orders being received from Amberley in the south, and as far north as Waiau. Three men are employed, and the average output is 14,000 loaves per week; orders for small goods are promptly attended to. Mr. Wohnus was born, in 1840, in Wertemburg, Germany, where he was educated. He served two years at his trade there, and then went to London, where he remained for fifteen years. After coming to New Zealand, in 1873, by the ship “Lyttelton,” Mr. Wohnus engaged in general country work about Gtago until he was employed in connection with the construotion of the Weka Pass railway, and after being about a year on that work he began his present business in Waikari.
Mr. M. Wohnus.
Star And Garter Hotel (John P. Horner, proprietor), Waikari. This hotel is a wood and iron building, and was stablished in the sixties. It is situated on the Great North Road at the north end of Weka Pass, and was once the station for the coaches between Amberley and Culverden. It contains twenty-one rooms, including two dining, and three sitting rooms; a livery and bait stable is also kept by the proprietor.
Mr. John P. Horner, Proprietor of the Star and Garter Hotel, was born in 1800, in page 574 Christchurch, and received his education at Mr. C. Cook's Warwick House private school. He was brought up to the blacksmithing trade, at Papanui; and was for two years at the Addington railway workshops. In 1887 Mr. Horner went to Waimate for three years, and on returning to Papanui conducted a business there for nine years. In 1899 he sold out and tock over the Star and Garter Hotel at Waikari. Mr. Horner was secretary of the Papanui Gun Club for thirteen years, and has been secretary of the Waikari Gun Club since 1899. He is one of the best shots and was runner-up for the £90 prize in 1900, when he obtained twenty-three points out of twenty-four. Mr. Horner has won two trophies, a medal, and two cups; one cup was won at Amberley, and the other at vaulting with the pole at the popular sports at Christchurch in 1882. He also won the Jubilee Quoit Championship in 1897. Mr. Horner was married, in 1830, to a daughter of the late Mr. Alexander Frew, saddler, Waimate.
Ireland, Alexander, Saddler, Waikari. Mr. Ireland began business at Waikari in 1891. Harness, saddlery, horse covers, cow covers, and other articles in the trade are made on the premises, which consist of a shop and a workroom. A branch of the business has been established at Hawarden. Mr Ireland was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, in 1853, and came in 1860 to Port Chalmers, with his parents, who settled in Dunedin. After three years he was taken to Riverton where he was educated, and served five years at his trade, which he then followed at Invercargill and various other places. In 1875 Mr. Ireland came to Canterbury, and found work in Christchurch, and for eighteen months at Amberley and Rangiora. He then returned to Riverton, where he carried on business for twelve years, and then went to Ashburton, where he established another business. In 1888 he went to the Melbourne Exhibition, and after a stay of sixteen months in Australia, returned under engagement as manager of Mr. McNaught's business in Waikari. He held that position for eighteen months, and established his present business in 1891. Mr. Ireland has an apiary of fifty hives; he has made a careful study of bees, and keeps in stock, for sale, all the latest appliances for bee-keeping. While in Riverton he was a borough councillor and a member of the local school committee. He was also a member of the Southland Philosophical Association, and gave several lectures before the members of that body. In 1890 Mr. Ireland promoted the Waikari Mutual Improvement Society, and has served six years on the Waikari school committee, of which he was for some time chairman. He was married, in 1878, to a daughter of the late Mr. Henry Lough, of Amberley, and has one son and six daughters.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. and Mrs A. Ireland.
McDowell, Thomas, General Storekeeper, Waikari. This business was established about 1877, by Messrs Vaughan and Cordnerl, and was taken over by the present proprietor in April, 1879. The premises consist of a large two storey iron building, and contain a double shop, three departments, dwelling house, and several storerooms. Mr. McDowell's is the popular store of the Waikari district. He stocks grocery, drapery, farcy goods, ironmongery, boots, coal and wood, timber, and all farmers' requisites. He is agert for the Christchurch daily papers, the Alliance Insurance, and broker for the Australian Mutual Provident Life Insurance. Mr McDowell was born in 1852 in Lanarkshire, Scotland, where he received his education and served five years at the bakery business. He came to Lyttelton in the ship “Pleiades,” in 1874, and took work as a platelayer on the Christchurch section of railway. He was a storekeeper at Chertsey for five years, and in 1893 had a bakery in Waimate, which he left to take over his present business in 1897. Mr. McDowell was for a number of years a member of the Chertsey and Rakaia school committees, and is an honorary member of the Loyal Waikari Lodge of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity. As an elder and local preacher, Mr. McDowell has acted for the Presbyterian church in nearly all the places at which he has lived. He was married, in 1872, to a daughter of the late Mr. G. McAllister, of Langloan, Scotland, and has two sons and two daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. and Mrs T. McDowell.
Honeybone, Thomas E., Carrier, Waikari. This business was established by the father of the present proprietor, who took it over in 1890. The plant consists of three waggons, two spring drays, one tip-cart, and a gig, six draughts, and a number of other horses. There is a coal and wood depot in connection with the business. Mr. Honeybone was born in Oxfordshire, England, in 1866, and came to Lyttelton in 1874, with his parents who lived some time at Leeston, and Balcairn, and finally settled at Waikari. He worked with his father until taking over the business himself. Mr. Honeybone has taken an active part in racing, and is the owner of the trotting stallion “Baltimore” and the mare “Ipswich.” He has owned many other valuable racehorses, and has won some large prizes. Mr. Honeybone acts as handicapper for the Amuri and Hurunui racing clubs. He has been a member of the Amuri Mounted Rifles since their enrolment. As an Oddfellow he was for six years a member of the Loyal Waikari Lodge, Manchester Unity. Mr. Honeybone was married, in 1891, to a daughter of the late Mr. Edward Smith, of Balcairn and has one son.
Mr. T. E. Honeybone.
Allan, Alexander, Farmer, Rochvale Farm, Waikari. Mr. Allan was born in 1846 In Dumbartonshire, Scotland, and received his education in the parish of Cumbernauld. He was brought up on his father's farm, and in 1874 came to Lyttelton in the ship “Ciusader.” Mr. Allan was manager of the farming department at Horsley Down, for three years, and also was for three years manager of the same department on the Albury estate. For a short time Mr. Allan had a leashold agricultural farm of 640 acres at Geraldine, and in 1882 he bought 181 acres on the Glenmark estate. He has since increased his holding by 1350 acres, the greater part of which is devoted to agricultural purposes. Mr. Allan was married, in 1885, to a daughter of the late Mr. A. Macdonald, of Woodlands, Geraldine, and has three sons and two daughters.
Allan, John, Sheepfarmer, Park View Farm, Waikari. Mr. Allan was born in Dumbartonshire, Scotland, in 1846, and received his education at Cumbernauld. He was brought up on his father's farm, and managed it for five years before coming to Lyttelton in the ship “Opawa” in 1878. For two years Mr. Allan was engaged as farm manager for Mr. Davis at Waterton, and started for himself at Geraldine, on 640 acres of leasehold land, and seventy-two acres of freehold. He worked this property as a grazing and agricultural farm, until he sold it in 1897, and bought his present sheep farm of 1000 acrss freehold. Mr. Allan has greatly improved his property by building a residence and large outbuildings, and erecting twelve miles of fencing. A large portion of the land has been converted from tussock into grain and turnip fields, and carries a flock of 900 breeding ewes and 400 store sheep. It usually fattens from 1700 to 2000 sheep yearly, and part of it is capable of fattening ten sheep to the acre. Mr. Allan was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1897; he was for three years a member of the Geraldine school committee, and for some time a member of the Waipara Road Board. He was married, in 1876, to a daughter of the late Mr. Joseph Forrester, of Hall Farm, Cumbernauld, and has six sons and three daughters.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. and Mrs J. Allan.
Armstrong, Thomas, Farmer, “Nutgrove Farm,” Waikari. This old settler was born in Kirkcudbright, Scotland, in 1832, was educated at the public school, and brought up to agricultural and pastoral pursuits. He entered the service of Mr. John Kennedy, of Kirkland, who owned 60,000 sheep, and was with that gentleman for five years before coming out to Australia in the ship “Marco Polo” in 1857. Mr. Armstrong worked at farming for a few years and then went to the goldfields. In 1862, he arrived in Otago and worked for three years at Gabriel's Gully, and subsequently at Wakamarina and other Nelson diggings. Later on, he was employed by the late Mr. J. S. Caverhill, at Motunau, where his early pastoral experience was very useful to him, and he was soon made manager of “Hawkeswood,” and afterwards of “Highfield,” which carried 42,000 sheep. Mr. Caverhill having disposed of his runs in 1876, Mr. Armstrong began farming on his own account, having purchased 643 acres of agricultural land. He runs Merino and long-wool sheep, and has frequently topped the market at the wool sales. The increase of lambs in his flocks in the season of 1897–8 was as much as 128 per cent. Mr. Armstrong has always taken an active part in educational matters and has been a member of the school committee for eighteen years. He was one of the promoters in the building of the Presbyterian church and manse, and has acted as church treasurer for many years. Mr. Armstrong was married in 1871 to Miss Staveley, and has four daughters.
Mr. and Mrs T. Armstrong.
Bailie Bros. (George A. Bailie and Robert Bailie), Farmers, Crosshill and Riverdale Farms, Waikari Valley.
Messrs George A. Bailie And Robert Bailie are sons of the late Mr. Robert Bailie, who came to Lyttelton in the ship “Chrysolite” in 1861, and farmed in various parts of Canterbury, until he settled in Waikari Valley, where he died in 1900. The late Mr. Bailie was married, in 1868, to a daughter of the late Mr. George Souter, page 576 of Scotland. Mrs Bailie died in 1894, leaving two sons and four daughters. Mr. George Bailie was born at Mount Grey Downs, Sefton, in 1874, and after leaving school at Amberley, he served fourteen years at the stcrekeeping business. Mr. Robert Bailie was born at Mount Grey Downs, in 1876, and educated at Amberley, where his parents lived for seventeen years. He was brought up to farming by his father, and at the latter's death, joined his brother in taking over the property. The farm consists of 800 acres of freehold, and originally consisted of two farms, named “Crosshill” and “Riverdale.”
Crowley, G. L., Sheepfarmer, “Green Hill,” Waikari. Mr. Crowley was born in Middlesex, England, where he was educated. He came to New Zealand by the s.s. “Florida” in 1884, and joined his uncle at Gisborne, where he gained useful colonial experience. Subsequently, he served as a cadet with Mr. T. Chapman, “Mount Palm,” Amuri. In 1894, he took up the lease of the “Green Hill” property, which contains 1450 acres, and has a carrying capacity of two sheep to the acre. Mr. Crowley grows grain, turnips, and rape as feed for fattening his lambs, bred from Shropshire Down rams and Leicester and Merino half-bred ewes. He has won a name for his wool, for which he has obtained the highest price. In 1895 he was married to Miss Walton, and has one son.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. G. L. Crowley.
Darrock, Robert, Farmer, Waikari. Mr. Darrock was bron in 1845 in Argyleshire. Scotland, and brought up to farming. He arrived at Port Chalmers in the ship “City of Dunedin,” in 1867, and engaged in farm work throughout Otago until 1877. He then leased land for cropping purposes, and in 1880 bought 250 acres at All Day Bay, where for some years he managed the shipping by means of surf boats. On moving to Canterbury, Mr. Darrock bought 3000 acres at Rakaia, and carried on mixed farming for three years, when he sold out and removed to Waikari. Mr. Darrock still carries on cropping in the Waikari and Culverden districts, where he yearly crops from 300 acres to 2500 acres. He has been a member of the Waikari school committee since 1882, and was for three years its charman. Mr. Darrock was married, in 1875, to a daughter of the late Mr. Alexander Fraser, of Dunedin, and has three sons and two daughters.
Douglas, James, Sheepfarmer, “Timperdean,” Waikari. Mr. Douglas was born in Leicestershire, England, in 1856, of Scottish parents, and was educated at Wimbledon. He came to Melbourne in 1876 in the ship “Northumberland,” and three years later arrived in New Zealand. He bought the first pertion of his property in 1879. The estate consists of 2400 acres of freehold and leasehold land, which is entinely devoted to the rearing and fattening of sheep and lambs for the London market. Mr. Douglas was a member of the Waipara Road Board for twelve years. He is a Justice of the Peace, and page 577 was married, in 1887, to Miss Neave, and has three sons.
Dodd, Marguerite, Farmer, Waikari. Mrs Dodd is the widow of the late Mr. Thomas Dodd, and daughter of the late Mrs Arderson, who died in 1902, at Waikari, in her ninety-second year. Mrs Dodd was born in Aberdeershire, Scotland, and arrived with her parents at Lyttelton in the ship “Fatima,” on the 28th of December, 1851, after a passage of thirteen weeks and three days.
Mr. Thomas Dodd was born in Surrey, England, in 1829, and came to Port Chalmers in 1848, in the ship “Ajax.” In 1851 he went to Mount Grey Downs station of 5000 acres which he managed for fourteen years. Subsequently Mr. Dodd began to farm at Saltwater Creek, and in 1861 took a pleasure trip of six months to England in the ship “Chrysolite,” by which he returned to New Zealand. He worked his farm until it was ruined by the flood of 1868, when he took up a farm of 200 acres of freehold at Waikari. Mr. Dodd was a member of the Kowai Road Board and of the Saltwater Creek school committee. He was married, in 1854, and died on the 5th of October, 1871, leaving three daughters.
Esk Head Station comprises 30,000 acres of leasehold, and is situated on the south branch of the Hurunui, near Lake Sumner. It was first leased from the Government in 1858, by Mr. C. E. Dampier.
Mr. Croslegh Dampier-Crossley, J.P., Proprietor of Esk Head Station, was born in Hertfordshire, England, in 1839. He was educated at Sedburgh, and brought up to farming by his uncle, Mr John Crossley, of Scait-cliffe, Lancashire, who left his estates to him, on condition that in addition to his own name, he took the name of Crossley, and coat of arms. Mr. Christopher Edward Dampier, his father, emigrated to New Zealand, where he arrived on the 8th of November, 1850, in the “Phœbe Dunbar,” and, as solicitor to the Canterbury Association, he brought the documents of the Association with him. Mr Dampier-Crossley came to Lyttelton in 1858 in the ship “Roehampton” and went to the Hurunui, where he afterwards became manager of his father's sheep run, Esk Head. In 1870 he took over the property. He has a shearing ground and shed at Stoneyroyd, Waitohi Gorge. His residence is at Waituna, Waikari. Mr. Dampier-Crossley was the first to take sheep to Hokitika in 1868. He was at one time a member of the Rangiora and Mandeville Road Board, and is a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, Christchurch. He was also a member of the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry, and resigned the lieutenancy after serving about nine years.
“Eastcott” (George Rutherford, owner), Waikari Valley. This farm comprises 2700 acres of freehold land, and was formerly owned by Mr L. H. Lane.
Mr. George Rutherford, the Owner, was born in the Amuri district in 1877, and educated at Christchurch. He was brought up by his father on Montrose station, Culverden, where he gained much experience. In 1901 he bought “Eastcott,” which he works as a sheep farm.
Evans And Sons, Farmers, “Clifton” (Owen T. Evans, manager), Waikari. Mr. Evans was born in 1878 at Kaiapoi. After leaving school he was for four years employed in butter-making at the Central Dairy Factory, Addington. He also worked at his father's flourmill and farm at Kaiapoi. For a number of years he was managing a threshing plant about the district. Messrs Evans and Sons acquired “Clifton,” a farm of 2500 acres of freehold, in 1902. Mr. Evans, as manager, crops about 500 acres yearly, and the remainder carries sheep, for which it is well adapted. Mr. Evans has been a member of the Kaiapoi Sons of Temperance Lodge since he was fourteen yeas of age.
Foxdown Estate, Waikari. This estate, the property of Mr. C. D. Fox, lies in the limestone country, in the Waikari Valley. It consists of about 4000 acres of freehold and leasehold land, of exceptional grazing quality. “Foxdown” is stocked solely with sheep, chiefly half-bred ewes, and Mr Fox breeds extensively for the fat lamb trade.
Mr. Charles Dillworth Fox, the Proprietor of Foxdown Estate, was born in Wellington, Somerset, England, in 1852. He arrived at Lyttelton by the ship “Norma,” in 1871, and spent seven years as a cadet on sheep runs in the Mackenzie Country. “Foxdown” was bought by him in 1878. Mr. Fox is a devoted Freemason, and no one has done more than he to promote the interests of the fraternity in Canterbury. Just before leaving South Canterbury he was initiated as the first candidate of Lodge Winchester, No. 1737 E.C. He was one of the promoters, and assisted in the foundation of Lodge Ashley, No. 1877 E.C. (now No. 28 N.Z.C.); Lodge Amberley, No. 2007 E.C.; Lodge St. Alban's, No. 2597 E.C.; Lodge Hiram, No. 272 E.C., Mark Degree, of which he was installed as the first W.M.M.; Lodge South Canterbury, No. 300 E.C., Mark Degree, where he was installed as the first W.M.M., after the resuscitation of the Prince of Wales Royal Arch Chapter, No. 1716, E.C., of which he is a Past Z., and the Beckett Chapter Rose Croix, 18, N. 135, E.C., of which he is a Past M.W.S. Mr Fox is a Past Senior Grand Warden of the District Grand Lodge of Canterbury, E.C., and has conducted the Board of Installed Masters at the installations for several years. He was for a long time Permanent Preceptor in the Lodge of Instruction at Waikari, and was five times elected W.M. of Lodge Amberley. At the present time Mr. Fox is the Deputy District Grand Master of the New Zealand South Mark Master Masons, and is also a member of Lodge Fidelity and Sincerity, No. 1977, Somerset, England. In his younger days Mr. Fox was an ardent footballer. For seven years he played for Temuka and South Canterbury, and afterwards for his county, while on a trip to England in 1879. Mr. Fox has been twice married, and has one son by his first marriage. His second wife is a daughter of the late Colonel Lean, and there is a family of one son and one daughter by this union. The eldest son has followed in his father's footsteps in his love of athletics. He has played for the Christchurch Football Club; and, rowing with Mr. Frank Hobbs, he won the Maiden and Junior Pairs at the Picton regatta, in 1901. As a volunteer he was captain of the College Cadets, was afterwards a private in the College Rifles, and is now a trooper in the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry. He also served as a member of the Eighth Contingent in the war in South Africa.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. C. D. Fox.
Greta Peaks Station, the property of Mrs Studholme, Motunau, Waikari, originally formed part of the Stoneyhurst run. This station contains about 30,000 acres and was purchased by Messrs. Sanderson and Studholme in 1864. At the expiration of the Crown lease and the dissolution of partnership in 1891, the greater portion of it was sold and let in small holdings for settlement, the proprietors only retaining the homestead block of 5000 acres. The run carries a healthy flock of half and three-quarter bred English Leicester and Shropshire sheep.
Mr. Ben Coleman, Manager of the Greta Peaks Station, is the son of one of North Canterbury's earliest settlers. He was born at Wharfdale in 1865, was educated at Amberley, and passed his early years on his father's farm, “Riverside.” Subsequently, he gained valuable experience with his uncle on the Clarence run, which at that time carried 50,000 sheep. He was appointed to his present position in 1891. Mr. Coleman is fond of sports, loves a good horse, and on several occasions has carried his colours to the winning post, twice carrying off the Ladies' Bracelet at Christchurch. He is also well known at the North Canterbury steeple-chase meetings. Mr. Coleman was married in 1897 to Miss Foster, eldest daughter of Mr. Reginald Foster, of Christchurch.
Mr. B. Coleman.
Holland, Henry H., Farmer, Waikari. Mr. Holland was born at Halkett, Canterbury, in 1873. He received his education at Brookside, where he was brought up to farming by his father. In 1898 Mr. Holland entered on his present farm of 220 acres of freehold, on which he keeps sheep and grows crops. He was married, on the 24th of May, 1899, to a daughter of Mr. H. Hight, of Brookside, and has one daughter.
Mr. and Mrs H. H. Holland.
Huihui Estate, Waikari (Mr. F. Lance, proprietor). This fine property is 2000 acres in extent, and was purchased in 1896 by the present owner, who has since made extensive improvements. A house of thirteen rooms, for which Mr. Lance was his own page 579 architect, and a new woolshed have been erected, besides fifteen miles of wire fencing, and plantations for shelter and timber purposes. The sheep depasturing on Huihui are half and three-quarter bred Leicesters.
Mr. Fred Lance, Proprietor of the Huihui Estate, Waikari, was born in 1864, and educated in Jersey. He is the son of a prominent Canterbury settler, the late Captain J. D. Lance, who is referred to elsewhere as sometime a member of Parliament. Mr. F. Lance was married in 1888 to the second daughter of Captain Temple, and has two sons and one daughter.
Lister, Martin J., Farmer, “Glenallen,” Waikari. Mr. Lister was born in 1862, at Balcairn, and received all the education he got at Leithfield. He was brought up on his father's farm, which he afterwards worked for ten years. In 1888 he started for himself, at Springston, on 110 acres of leasehold land, which he worked for some time. Mr Lister acquired his present farm of 2450 acres of freehold, in 1897, and breeds half-breds by Lincoln rams from a flock of Merino ewes. Great improvements have been made by the proprietor, who has erected a substantial residence and the usual outbuildings, which will soon be sheltered by plantations of pines. Mr. Lister was a member of the Kowai Rifle Club, for eight years, and also of the Amuri Mounted Rifles, and won many prizes and trophies for shooting in both clubs. He also has been well known as an athlete in various parts of North Canterbury, and has been a member of the Loyal Leithfield Lodge of Oddfellows since 1877. Mr. Lister was married, in 1888, to a daughter of the late Mr. James Miller, of “Harpsdale,” Shag Valley, Palmerston South, and has two sons and four daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. and Mrs M. J. Lister.
Love, Alexander, Farmer, Pleasant View Farm, Waikari. Mr. Love was born in Christchurch, in 1869, and educated at Timaru and Gapes' Valley. He engaged in farm work and shearing throughout Canterbury for a number of seasons, and in 1891 went to Queensland. On returning to Canterbury he followed his previous occupation until he wont to Mr. Speedy's station in Hawke's Bay in 1895. In two years he came back to Canterbury, but revisited the North Island before settling on his present freehold farm of 162 acres, on which he keeps sheep and grows crops. Mr. Love is a member of the New Zealand Farmers' Union, and of the Waikari Mutual Improvement Society, and was for some time a member of the Amuri Mounted Rifles. He was married, in 1897, to a daughter of Mr. H. Tomlinson, of Hawarden, and has one son and two daughters.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. A. Love.
Mount Hilton Estate (Messrs Giles and Davie, proprietors), Waikari. This property comprises 4,700 acres, and was originally part of the Horsley Down estate. It carries over a sheep to the acre, and was purchased by the present proprietors in 1896. They have effected extensive and substantial improvements, and have erected twenty miles of wire fencing, besides building a house, a wool-shed, and other outbuildings.
Mr. E. D. Giles is referred to in another article as manager of Mount Parnassus station.
Mr. William Cyrus Davie, one of the proprietors of Mount Hilton estate, was born in Christchurch in 1874, and educated at Christ's College. He served for two years in the Union Bank, and was afterwards at the Agricultural College, Lincoln, for two years, during which he gained every certificate that it was possible for him to take in connection with his course of study. In 1896 he became a partner in the firm of Giles and Davie at “Mount Hilton.” Mr. Davie took a trip to England, in 1897, and since his return has resided on the estate. While studying at Christ's College he played in the football teams, in both the fifteen and the eleven. He was married, in 1896, to the widow of the late Mr. G. Pearson, of Manchester.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. W. C. Davie.
Mr. D. Mann.
McDonald Downs Station. This fine property, of which Mr. T. York is the owner, is situated twelve miles from Waikari. It originally formed a portion of Horsley Down, and comprises 18,000 acres freehold of fine grazing country, suitable for half-bred sheep, of which there is a flock of 10,000. A considerable area of the land is ploughable, and is being annually laid down in grass. The property has a warm northern aspect and is well watered. There is a good, prettily-situated homestead, together with a splendid wool-shed and out-buildings, and a number of thriving plantations. The station is one of the most complete in Canterbury.
Mr. T. York, Proprietor of the McDonald Downs Station and also of the Woolston Steam Wool Works, landed in Otago in 1861 with the first “rush” to the diggings, which he followed for about three years. He was at Gabriel's, the Arrow, and Queenstown, when everything and everybody was housed under canvas. Mr. York has resided in Canterbury for thirty three years, and has been active in local politics as a member of the Selwyn County Council, Borough Council, Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, and school committees. He is also a Justice of the Peace. Besides his wool business, Mr. York devotes much attention to pomology, and is an extensive fruit-grower.
Mr. Angus Cameron, Manager of McDonald Downs Station, Waikari, was born in Nairnshire, Scotland, and came to New Zealand in 1885, in the ship “Doric.” He immediately entered the service of his brother, who was at that time manager of the Lakes station. After that he had experience as a shepherd on some of the largest runs in North Canterbury and Nelson, and was appointed to his present position in 1896. Mr. Cameron was married, in 1893, to Miss Mc-Farlane.
Olson, John, Farmer, Waikari. Mr. Olson was born in 1831, in Caithness-shire, Scotland, where he was educated, and after a few years on his father's farm, was apprenticed to the milling trade, which he followed for fourteen years. In 1863 he came to New Zealand. He engaged in farming for eight years, and was appointed working overseer for the Waipara Road Board in 1871. Mr. Olson bought two town sections, and one of the houses he built was subsequently used as the first post and telegraph office in Waikari. He purchased land in 1864 at Westerfield, and, subsequently, at the Cust. Both of these properties he disposed of to advantage, and afterwards acquired land at Amberley and Waikari. Mr. Olson has always taken an active interest in church and school matters.
Mr. J. Olson.
Roberts, Robert M., Farmer, Plasisa Farm, Waikari Valley. Mr. Roberts was born in Northamptonshire, England, in 1843, and was apprenticed as a sailor. He shipped in London on the schooner “Brisk,” and after six months in Australia, came in the same vessel to Lyttelton in 1862. Soon after landing he joined in the “rush” to the Otago goldfields, on which he remained for three years, and then went to the West Coast diggings. There he opened a store in 1865, and carried it on for about ten yeas. He then returned to Canterbury and engaged in farm work. In 1890 he bought the freehold of his present property of 300 acres, on which he carries on sheepfarming. Mr. Roberts was married, in 1866, to a daughter of the late Mr. James Baxter, of Ireland, and has seven sons and five daughters.
Mr. and Mrs R. M. Roberts.
Stewart, Jasper, Farmer, Lilburn Farm, Waikari Valley. Mr. Stewart was born in Berwickshire, Scotland, in 1861. After leaving school he engaged in shepherding, and in 1882 came out in the ship “Wairoa” under engagement to Mr W. A. Low, at St. Helen's station, where he stayed for two years, and then went as head shepherd to Parnassus station, where he remained for four years. He was for a similar period at “Leslie Hills.” In 1891 Mr. Stewart leased 1958 acres, which he works as a sheep farm. He was one of the first in the district to page 581 start with a flock of inbred half-bred sheep obtained from Mr. James Little, of “Allandale.” In 1901 he bought his present farm of 458 acres, on which he has built a neat residence and made many improvements. He works his two properties in conjunction.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. J. Stewart.
Turner, W. H., Sheepfarmer, “Limehurst,” Waikari. Mr. Turner was born in the United States in 1853, and accompanied his parents to New Zealand in 1863. After a short stay, the family visited Sydney on the way to California, where they settled for eighteen months, but returned to New Zealand about 1873. After being for a time at Auckland, Napier, and Wellington, Mr. Turner removed to the Waikari Valley, where he first took up land in 1877. His property is situated four miles from Waikari, and contains 5000 acres, the first portion of which was taken up in 1882. Substantial improvements have been effected, 2200 acres having been laid down in permanent grasses, and 1100 acres surface sown. A large flock of sheep is depastured on the estate. Mr. Turrer was married in 1882 to Miss Lewis, and has one son and one daughter.
Mr. W. H. Turner.
Waitohi Peaks Station. This station is the property of Mr. Michael J. Burke, and originally formed part of Horsley Down. It comprises 17,000 acres, and is situated between the upper reaches of the Hurunui and Waitohi rivers. In 1893 the proprietor bought 13,000 acres, and in order to possess a complete block, has since acquired an additional area of 4000 acres, which was almost surrounded by his former page 582 purchase. The property has been greatly improved by the planting of trees and the erection of the owner's residence, which occupies a splendid position, overlooking the Peaks settlement. The whole station is fenced into over thirty divisions, and is surrounded by a substantial rabbit-proof fence. A large woolshed and two shepherds' houses are some distance from the homestead, and communication between the proprietor and his shepherds is maintained by six miles of telephone wire, and three transmitters. The land is all pastoral, and carries about 12,000 Merino and half-bred sheep. In 1896 inbred half-breds were tried as an experiment to see if the type of sheep produced by crossing Merino ewes with English long-wool rams could be maintained by the use of half-bred rams. By dint of careful selection and heavy culling, Mr. Burke is now (1903) breeding, in-bred half-bred sheep superior, as regards both wool and mutton, to the original first-cross sheep from which they are descended, so that the experiment promises to be a great success.
Mr. Michael J. Burke, Proprietor of “Waitohi Peaks,” was born at Halswell, Canterbury, in 1862. He received his education at Christ's College, Christchurch, and at the Agricultural College, Lincoln. After travelling in various parts of the world, Mr. Burke returned to Canterbury and started farming in 1886 at “Knocklynn,” near Tai Tapu. He worked this farm for seven years, when he sold out and bought his present property in its unimproved state. Mr. Burke has served since 1895 as a member of the Waipara Road Board. He is also a member of the Hurunui Rabbit Board, and was for five years a member of the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry. Mr. Burke was married, in 1890, to a daughter of the late Mr. Ridley, of Gloucester, England, and has one son and two daughters.