The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Smith, Sydney Crompton, Farmer, Manuka Bay Farm, Port Robinson, Mr. Smith was born at Auckland, in 1874, and educated there and at Wellington. He is a son of Mr. Percy Smith, formerly Surveyor-General of New Zealand, and was brought up to country life in Taranaki. Mr. Smith was one of the original Cheviot selectors, and has resided in the district since 1894. He holds 720 acres under a lease in perpetuity, and on this property is able to run about a sheep to the acre. Mr. Smith is a member of the Port Robinson school committee, of the Cheviot Settlers' Association, and also page 570 of the Cheviot branch of the New Zealand Farmers' Union.
Mr. S. C. Smith.
Tweedie, Andrew, Builder, Contractor, and Timber Merchant, Gore Bay, Port Robinson. Mr. Tweedie was born in Peebleshire, Scotland, in 1852. He was apprenticed as a carpenter in Edinburgh, and came out to Lyttelton in the ship “Jessie Osborne” in 1865. Mr. Tweedie found employment at his trade for about two years in Christchurch, and was afterwards in business as a builder and contractor for twenty years. He was at Cheviot at the commencement of the settlement in 1894, but did not settle permanently at Gore Bay until 1898. During his residence in Canterbury Mr. Tweedie has erected a large number of buildings for the Board of Education in various parts of the country. He built all the schools in the Cheviot district, and a large number of the houses, besides the Town Hall. In his early days, in Edinburgh, he served for a time as a volunteer. As a Freemason Mr. Tweedie is a member of Lodge Cheviot, No. 124, New Zealand Constitution, and was initiated into the order in Christchurch in 1891. He was married, in 1878, to a daughter of Mr. G. Ferguson, of Christchurch, and has seven sons and one daughter surviving.