The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Mr. Timothy Coakley, sometime of Cheviot, was born in 1850, in County Cork, Ireland, where he was brought up to farming. At one time he was in business as a storekeeper at Waikari and Hurunui, and afterwards at Culverden. On the 14th of September, 1893, Mr. Coakley settled at Cheviot, and took up a property of 1200 acres on the Leamington road. This property carries about 1400 sheep. During his residence in the Hurunui district Mr. Coakley was a member of the local school committee. He was married, in 1888, to a daughter of M. P. Ponsonby, of Rangiora, and at his death, on the 3rd of October, 1898, he left four daughters and one son. Mr. Charles D. Edward is now managing Mr. Coakley's estate.
The late Mr. T. Coakley.
Mr. Thomas Shailer is one of the old settlers who arrived in Lyttelton by the ship “Cresswell” on the 12th of September, 1851, and landed at Woolston. He was born in Alcester, Warwickshire, England, in 1826, and was brought up as a butcher. After settling in Christchurch Mr. Shailer entered business as a livery stable keeper, and followed that calling till 1863. For about thirteen years afterwards he was in business in Christchurch as a commission agent. In 1889 Mr. Shailer left Christchurch and resided for a number of years with his daughter—now Mrs Bradley, of “Ridgethorpe,” Cheviot—who was in charge of the Charteris Bay public school. In his early days Mr. Shailer was a member of the Worcester Queen's Own Yeomanry. He was married, in 1853, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Thompson, of Worcester. Mrs Shailer died in 1897, leaving two sons and one daughter.
Mr. T. Shailer.