The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
[Cheviot and McKenzie]
McKenzie is the chief town in the county of Cheviot. The streets are named after leading politicians, and considering that the settlement began as recently as the end of 1893, it has made remarkable progress. Opposite the post office a handsome monument has been erected by the settlers to the late Sir John McKenzie, who, as Minister of Lands, took a leading part in founding the settlement. McKenzie has a town hall, which contains a good library, and a convenient reading room, and portions of the building are let for business purposes. The township has a good public school, four churches, and stores, bakeries, engineers' shops, etc. McKenzie is connected by a daily coach service with Waipara on the northern railway line. At the census of 1901 the township had a population of 113 in McKenzie, and the adjoining settlement of Home View, 103. The township lies partly in the Lowry, and partly in the Seaward ridings, of the county of Cheviot.
The Cheviot County Council was constituted in May, 1895. The district is bounded on the north by the river Conway, on the south by the Hurunui river, on the east by the sea, and on the west by the centre of the Lowry Peak Hills. It measures, roughly, twenty-two by fourteen miles. The ratable value of the county is £572,606, and the unimproved value, £484,156, and the rate levied is from 1/2d to 1d in the pound. There are 502 ratable properties in the district, and the revenue is £2,526, made up as follows: Rates, £1,411; subsidy, £314; other sources, £801. The county has some important bridges, notably the Hurunui bridge, ten per cent, of the cost of maintaining which is contributed by the Waipara Road Board. The county contributes ten per cent, towards the cost of maintaining the lower Waiau bridge, and six per cent, towards the Ashley bridge. A loan for expenditure in the Hawkeswood riding has been raised under the Loans to Local Bodies Act. The county is divided into six ridings—namely, Hawkeswood, Waiau, Lowry, Hurunui, Seaward, and Kaiwarra; and one member is returned for each riding. The members for the year 1902 were: Messrs A. W. Rutherford (chairman), S. Haughey, W. McFarlane, T. Stevenson, E. Jackman, and D. McLaren. Port Robinson is under the control of the county council, which works the landing service by means of surf boats, which are hauled on to the slip by a steam engine. The revenue at the port for the year, 1901, was £932, and the expenditure, £999. Mr F. Archer is County Clerk and Treasurer, and Mr. J. Sinclair is Harbourmaster at Port Robinson.
Mr. Andrew William Rutherford, Chairman of the Cheviot County Council, was born in 1842, in New South Wales. He was educated in Adelaide, and came to Lyttelton in 1860, with his parents, who bought the Leslie Hills estate. Mr. Rutherford was for some time managing “Leslie Hills,” until he became proprietor of “Mendip Hills” in 1861. He has always taken a very keen interest in Merino breeding, and is a very successful prize-taker, and but for the drawback of getting sheep to the show, Mr. Rutherford would be a more frequent exhibitor. He is a breeder of the best Merinos, and in 1901 purchased “Fame,” a stud Merino ram, from Mr. Alex. Murray, of Mount Crawford, South Australia, at a cost of 500 guineas. Mr. Rutherford was a member of the Nelson Provincial Council for two years, and has always taken an active part in local politics. In 1864 he became a member of the Amuri Road Board and was chairman of that body for a number of years before it was merged into the Amuri County Council. He has been a member of the Cheviot County Council since its inception. For some time he was a member of the North Canterbury Charitable Aid and Hospital Board. At the general elections, in November, 1902, he stood against four other candidates for the representation of Hurunui in Parliament, and headed the poll with 1577 votes, the candidate next in order having 880 votes. Mr. Rutherford was married, in 1873, to a daughter of Mr. R. Monk, of Conway village, Cheviot, and has five sons and four daughters.
Councillor Samuel Haughey represents Lowry riding in the Cheviot County Council. In 1893 he settled at Cheviot, where he was one of the earliest settlers.
Councillor Walter Macfarlane has been a member of the Cheviot County page 554 Council since its formation. He was born at Loburn, Canterbury, and educated at the old High School, Christchurch, and at Mr Charles Cook's private school. He was brought up to farming, and managed several stations for his father, before becoming proprietor of “Kiawara” in 1881. He was a member of the Hurunui Rabbit Board for six years. Mr. Maofarlane was married, in 1889, to a daughter of the late Mr. Robert Wilson, of Dunedin, and has one son and three daughters.
Councillor Dugald McLaren represents Seaward riding in the Cheviot County Council.
Councillor Thomas Stevenson, who represents the Waiau riding in the Cheviot County Council, was born at Flaxton, in 1868, and brought up to country life on his father's farm. He became one of the early settlers in the Cheviot district, in 1893. In conjunction with his brother, Mr. James Stevenson, he works 1,045 acres, of which 594 acres are freehold. On this land from 2000 to 3000 sheep are depastured. Mr Stevenson is a member of the Cheviot Settlers' Association, and also of the Cheviot branch of the New Zealand Farmers' Union.
Mr. Francis Archer, County Clerk and Treasurer of the Cheviot County Council, was born in Surrey, England, in 1853. He came out to Nelson, in 1870, by the ship “Dona Anita,” and was for some years a settler at Wairau. For fourteen years afterwards Mr. Archer was secretary of the Temuka Road Board, and removed to Cheviot in October, 1897, to take up the duties of his present office. He was married, in 1878, to Miss Horgan, of Temuka. Mrs Archer died in 1901, leaving five sons and four daughters.
The Cheviot Post And Telegraph Office was first established about the year 1868, under a guarantee from the late Hon. W. Robinson. For some time the post office work was carried on in a cob whare on the Waipara road. The present commodious building dates from 1895. It is situated at the corner of Seddon and Hall Streets, McKenzie, and is of wood and iron, with a clock over the entrance doorway. There are forty-eight private boxes, together with a public office, mail and telegraph room, and private offices. The building is connected by telephone with Port Robinson, Parnassus Station, Brookdale, Hawkeswood, Mendip Hills and Motunau. Daily mails are received and despatched; and the officer in charge is assisted by a clerk and a messenger.
Mr. John Shannon Young, formerly Postmaster and Telegraphist, and Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages at Cheviot, was born in Dunedin, in 1863. He was educated there at the Middle District school and entered the Dunedin Post Office in July, 1875. After two years' experience, Mr. Young was placed in charge at Kingston, and was subsequently stationed successively at Dunedin, Invercargill, and Christchurch. He was then sent to open the post office at Methven; and was afterwards for three years at Blenheim. After a few months in Christchurch he was appointed to the charge of the Cheviot office, in 1888. While at McKenzie Mr. Young was a member of the Cheviot Lodge of Freemasons, No. 124, New Zealand Constitution. He was married, in 1886, to a daughter of Mr. J. Simson, of Blenheim, and has two sons and two daughters.
The Cheviot Police District is co-extensive with the county of Cheviot, which extends from the Hurunui to the Conway rivers. There are no licensed houses in the district, and it is stated that in the course of four years only one person was arrested for drunkenness, and there is very little crime in the district. There is a monthly sitting of the Magistrate's Court, in the Town Hall.
Constable Thomas Gerald Whitty, who is in charge of the Cheviot police district, acts also as clerk of the Magistrate's Court. Mr. Whitty was born in 1858, in Victoria, brought to New Zealand in 1859, and joined the police force at the time of the Parihaka episode. He was stationed at Cheviot in 1898. Mr. Whitty was married, in 1892, to a daughter of Mr. W. T. McAdam, of Christchurch, but his wife died in 1887, leaving two daughters. In 1891 Mr. Whitty married a daughter of Mr. Thomas Ferens, of North Otago, and has two sons by this union.
The McKenezie Public School was first established about the middle of 1894 by the Rev. Mr. Drake, Wesleyan minister, and a few weeks afterwards he was requested to conduct it temporarily under the Board of Education; but in January, 1895, a regular teacher was appointed. The school was conducted in the little Methodist church till the middle of 1895, when the first portion of the present building was erected. It is built of wood and iron, and has a large class room and a porch, with accommodation for 140 pupils; there are 114 names on the roll, and the average attendance for the year 1901 was ninety-six. The headmaster is assisted by an infant mistress and a pupil-teacher. There are about four acres of land attached to the school premises, and there is a commodious six-roomed residence for the teacher.
Mr. William Balch, Headmaster of McKenzie Public School, was born in 1871, at Kaiapoi, where he was educated and served a pupil-teachership of five years. After two years' training at the Normal School, Christchurch, he acted as relieving teacher for a few months, and was afterwards an assistant to Mr. Cook, at Warwick House, Christchurch. He was subsequently for eighteen months assistant master at Papanui, and received his present appointment in January, 1895. Mr. Balch has always been fond of outdoor gomes, and has been well known in athletic circles. He has been connected with the Canterbury College and the Kaiapoi Football Clubs, and has represented New Zealand as well as Canterbury on many occasions. He was married, in December, 1899, to a daughter of Mr. James Simson, of Blenheim.page 555
Mr. W. Balch.
The Cheviot And Amuri Parish Of The Anglican Church includes the country lying between the Hurunui in the south, and the Conway in the north, the sea beach on the east, and the Dividing Range on the west, and is quite sixty miles across. It was constituted in 1896. Previous to that date occasional visits were made by the vicar of Kaikoura.
The Church Of St. John The Evangelist, in McKenzie township, is a wooden building with a shingle roof and a bell tower. It has accommodation for 120 worshippers. There is a vicarage of six rooms, on part of the giebe, which is ten acres in extent. The buildings were erected in 1899, at a cost of £840. The vicar conducts services also at Hurunui, Hawarden, Waiau, Culverden, Rotherham, Spotswood, Domett, Port Robinson, and Hanmer Springs.
The Rev. James Henry Snee, Vicar of Cheviot and Amuri, was born in Croydon, Surrey, England, in 1875. He arrived in Nelson in 1897, studied at Bishopdale College, and was ordained deacon in 1898, and priest in the following year. Up to die end of 1900 Mr. Snee was curate of All Saints, Nelson, and took up his duties at Cheviot in 1901.
The Cheviot Presbyterian Church was opened in June, 1898, and stands on a quarter-acre section of freehold land, which was presented by the Rev. W. Campbell. The building, which has a belfry, is of wood and iron, and has accommodation for 120 worshippers. A Sunday school is held in the church, and is attended by thirty-two scholars, in charge of two teachers. Services are held regularly every Sunday evening, and the minister in charge also visits Spotswood, Leamington, Domett, and Port Robinson. There is a glebe of nine acres of land, and the manse, which is a nine-roomed building, is beautifully situated on a site overlooking the township.
The Rev. Henry Whyte Johnston, M.A., Minister in charge of the Cheviot district, was born in Renfrewshire, Scotland, in 1845. He studied at the Glasgow Training College, and at the Univesity, where he graduated in 1891. After a further course of study at Glasgow Divinity Hall, Mr. Johnston was licensed in 1886. He arrived in Wellington by the s.s. “Arawa,” in 1888, and was stationed in Hawke's Bay, until his appointment to Cheviot, in March, 1902. Mr. Johnston was married, in 1901, to a daughter of the late Mr. P. Ness, Surveyor-General, of Bermuda.
The Church Of St. Anthony Of Padua, at McKenzie township, Cheviot, was opened for worship in 1902. It occupies an elevated site on part of a section of ten acres of land, and has accommodation for 250 persons. Monthly services are held by the Rev. Father Price, of Hawarden.
Loyal Cheviot Lodge, of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity. This Lodge was established at Christmas, 1894, and now (1902) has twenty-two members. Officers for 1902: E. J. S. Lochhead, N.G., D. McTaggart, V.G., and G. W. Crampton, Secretary. The fortnightly meetings of the Lodge are held in the Wesleyan church, and the accumulated funds amount to £110.
Mr. George William Crampton, Secretary of the Loyal Cheviot Lodge of Oddfellows, was born in 1843, in County Wicklow, Ireland, and came to Lyttelton by the ship “Gannonoque,” in 1860. He settled near Amberley, where he was employed as a shepherd for seven years, and was afterwards farming till 1898, when he became one of the original settlers at 'Cheviot. He holds 303 acres under a lease in perpetuity, and has named his farm “Green Ridge.” Mr. Crampton was married, in 1869, and has six sons and three daughters.
Mr. G. W. Crampton.
The Cheviot County Settlers' Association was established in 1896, with the object of expressing the feelings of the settlers on public questions, and taking action in respect to matters considered to have a bearing on their interests. Some time after its establishment, it was thought advisable to promote an agricultural and pastoral show. The attempt proved successful, and shows have since then been held annually, the last two in the month of March. Mr. J. Vaughan was president in 1902, and Mr. G. W. Forbes secretary, and there are vice-presidents, and a strong committee. The association has been very useful in furthering the interests of the district.
Cheviot News (Fred Wansbrough, proprietor), Buckley Street, McKenzie. The Cheviot News is published on Tuesdays and Fridays. It has four pages, and twenty-eight columns, seven of which usually contain reading matter. The “News” was founded on the 27th of September, 1898.
Mr. Fred Wansbrough, Proprietor of the “Cheviot News,” was born at Newport, England, in 1854. He arrived at Port Chalmers by the ship “Lady Egidia” in 1867, and was apprenticed as a printer at Oamaru. Having served successively on the “North Otago Times,” “Oamaru Mail,” and Christchurch “Press,” he settled at Cheviot, and founded the “Cheviot News.”
Inglis, Herbert McClelland, Bach. Med. and Mast. Surg., Univ. Edin., 1889, Physician and Surgeon, McKenzie. Dr. Inghs was born in Timaru, and before settling at McKenzie, in 1901, he had practised at Amberley, at Ross, on the West Coast, and at Darfield. Dr. Inglis was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1891.
Dalgety and Co., Ltd., Stock Auctioneers, and Produce Merchants, Cheviot Branch, Seddon Street, McKenzie. The Cheviot branch of this well-known company was page 556 established on the 1st of May, 1902. The offices, store, and saleyards are situated on a section of three acres in Seddon Street, and the store and offices are in a handsome wood and iron building, which measures 60 by 25 feet. Monthly sales of stock and produce are held during the winter season, and fortnightly sales during the summer. The branch keeps a large stock of fencing material, seeds and other necessaries for farmers.
Mr. Adam Ernest Smith, Manager and Auctioneer for Messrs Dalgety and Co., at Cheviot, was born in 1876, at Rangiora, and educated there. After leaving school Mr. Smith served for four years with Mr. A. P. Tutton, with whom he gained much experience in the produce business; and was afterwards for seven years with Mr. W. Buss, stock auctioneer. Mr. Smith was selected to start the Cheviot branch of the firm's business. As a volunteer he served eight years in the Rangiora Rifles, in which, latterly, he held the rank of lieutenant. As an Oddfellow he is attached to the Loyal Ashley Lodge, Rangiora, and as a Freemason, to Lodge Cheviot, No. 124, New Zealand Constitution. Mr. Smith was married, in 1960, to a daughter of Mr. J. McDowell, of Milford, Rangiora, and has one son.
Robinson, William Thomas, General Merchant and Auctioneer, McKenzie, Cheviot. This business was established by Mr. Robinson in 1893. The offices are situated in the Town Hall building, Seddon Street, and the yards in Hall Street. Mr. Robinson holds monthly sales of stock and produce, and does a large business throughout the district as a general merchant. He is a nephew of the late Hon. W. Robinson, and was born in South Australia, in 1856. He was educated at St. Peter's College, Adelaide, and at Christ's College, Christchurch, and since leaving college has been engaged chiefly in country pursuits. For sixteen years prior to the sale of the Cheviot estate, Mr. Robinson held the position of manager of the property. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1890. Mr. Robinson has been prominent in connection with all public matters in the district. For some years he was vice-president of the Cheviot Settlers' Association, of which he is still a member. He is chairman of the local Domain Board, president of the Cheviot Racing Club, and of the local football, cricket, and tennis clubs, and also chairman of the Cheviot Dairy Factory. As a Freemason he held the chair as Worshipful Master in 1902. He was married, in 1896, to a daughter of Mr. John Gurr, of Adelaide, and has one daughter.
Mr. W. T. Robinson.
Mr. A. Nicol's Premises.
Cheviot Dairy Factory. This establishment was opened in 1896, originally for a cheese factory, by the Cheviot settlers, but it was converted in the following year into a butter factory. It is fitted with an engine by Scott of two and a half horse-power, and a boiler of eight horse-power; there is a De Laval separator, capable of putting through about 1000 gallons of milk per day. There is a pasteurising plant, which, however, is not always in use.
Mr. Ernest Keig, Manager of the Cheviot Dairy Factory, was born in 1878, at Christchurch, and educated there. In 1897 he became connected with the Cheviot Dairy Factory, and gained his experience under the late manager, Mr. Champion, whom he succeeded in the management, in April, 1901. Mr. Keig is a member of the Loyal Cheviot Lodge of Oddfellows, and as a Freemason he is connected with Lodge Cheviot, No. 124, New Zealand Constitution.
Mr. E. Keig.
Mr. Champion, formerly Manager of the Cheviot Dairy Factory, was born at Tai Tapu in 1873, where he was educated and served an apprenticeship of four years to the dairy business. He had a previous experience of three years in Taranaki and two years at Cheviot. Mr. Champion is now (July 1902) manager of the dairy factory at Waren, in Taranaki.
Mr. J. Howie.
Jenkins, John Jarrett, Draper, Clothier, and House Furnisher, Corner of Rolleston and Buckley Streets, McKenzie. This business was established in 1897 by Mr. Jenkins, and is conducted in a convenient wood and iron building, with double-fronted windows, and a large verandah. The residence adjoins the shop, and both stand on a quarter of an acre of freehold. Mr. Jenkins has departments for drapery, dressmaking, and boots and shoes. There is a convenient show-room, and a number of girls are employed in the dressmaking department. Mr. Jenkins is agent for the National Mutual Life, and for the Alliance Insurance Co. He was born in Christchurch in 1860, educated there, and served twenty-three years with W. Strange and Co. Owing to the state of his health Mr. Jenkins decided to take up his abode at McKenzie. Whilst he was in Christchurch he was connected with the High School Cadets, with the Canterbury Engineers, the Woolston Rifles, and the Christchurch Rifles, and since removing to Cheviot he has served in the Cheviot Mounted Rifles. As a Druid Mr. Jenkins was a member of the Pioneer Lodge No. 47, and as a Freemason he is connected with Lodge Cheviot, No. 124, New Zealand Constitution. Mr. Jenkins was married, in 1882, to a daughter of the late Mr. Bowmaker, of Woodend, and has three sons and one daughter.
Mr. J. J. Jenkins' Premises.
Commercial Hotel (David Joseph Scott, proprietor), corner of Seddon and Hall Streets, McKenzie. This hotel is built of wood and iron; it is two stories in height and contains sixteen rooms, thirteen of which are bedrooms. There is a large dining room which seats forty visitors, and a commodious sitting room, besides a billiard room, with one of Alcock's tables. There is a stable with five stalls, and a loose box. This hotel was established in 1893, and was the first in the township.
Mr. David Joseph Scott, Proprietor of the Commercial Hotel, was born in Geelong, Victoria, in 1850. He arrived in Dunedin in 1865, and had a few years' experience as a hotelkeeper before removing to Cheviot in 1893. For four years he served as a member of the South Dunedin volunteer fire brigade. Mr. Scott was married, in 1877, to a daughter of Mr. M. Fitzgerald, of County Kerry, Ireland, and has one son.
McKenzie House (Mrs Catherine Moffett, proprietress), Cheviot. This house is pleasantly situated in the centre of the pretty and fast-growing township of McKenzie, and contains nine bedrooms, two sitting-rooms, and a dining-room and bath-room. There are suitable outbuildings and stabling.
Mrs Moffett, the Proprietress, came out with her parents from County Armagh, Ireland, when very young. The family settled in Otago, and there she was brought up. On the opening of Cheviot for close settlement, Mrs Moffett went thither and established the McKenzie House for the convenience of commercial travellers and visitors. Every home comfort is provided, and Mrs Moffett takes a pleasure in looking after the welfare of her guests.
Boyce, Mrs J. H. (John James McCaskey, manager), Saddler and Harnesmaker, Rolleston Street, McKenzien. This business was established in 1897 by Mr. John Henry Beyce. Since his death in September, 1901, it has been conducted by a manager on Mrs Boyce's behalf.
Mr. John James McCaskey, Manager of Mrs Boyce's saddlery business, was born in 1879, at Southbridge, and was educated at Geraldine, where he served his appronticeship as a saddler and harnessmaker. Mr. McCaskey had some experience with Messrs Mason, Struthers and Co., in Christchurch, and removed to Cheviot to take the management of Mrs Boyce's business. As an exhibitor at the Canterbury Jubilee Industrial Exhibition in Christchurch. Mr. McCaskey secured a first-class certificate and medal, and also a special certificate and a gold medal, for work done and exhibited by him. He served for two years as a member of the Ceraldine Rifle Volunteers; and as an Oddfellow he is attached to the Loyal Cheviot Lodge.
McDiarmid, Thomas, Boot and Shoemaker, formerly of Rolleston Street, McKenzie. This business was established in 1901, and was conducted in a double-fronted shop, with workroom and residence behind. Mr. McDiarmid was born at Oamaru, in 1880, and learned his trade in his native place, where he found employment till removing to Cheviot. He served as a volunteer for eighteen months in the Oamaru Queen's Rifles. Mr. McDiarmid is a member of the Order of Druids, and was attached to the lodge at McKenzie.
Benn, Austin Edwin, Butcher and Farmer, Seddon Street, McKenzie. Mr. Benn was born at Rangiora, in 1872, and learned his trade of butcher in Christchurch. He removed to the West Coast, and farmed with a partner for about two years. On returning to Canterbury he found employment as a shearer at Hurunui for a year, and was afterwards shepherd for eight years for Mr. G. W. McRae, of the “Glens of Tekoa.” Finally, he commenced business at Cheviot on the 3rd at Febuary, 1900. He farms thirty-three acres of land held under lease in perpetuity. As a Freemason, Mr. Benn is a member of Lodge Cheviot, No. 124, New Zealand Constitution. He takes an interest in out door sports, and is a member of the athletic and cycling clubs, clerk of the scales at the Cheviot racecourse, and is well known, under the name of “Boswell,” as a first-class pigeon shot.
Mr A. E. Benn.
Benn, Thomas Byron, General Storekeeper, Hairdresser and Tobacconist, Seddon Street, McKenzie, Cheviot. This business, which was established in 1898 by Mr. Benn, is conducted in convenient premises in the Town Hall building. The saloon is at the back of the shop, in which Mr. Benn keeps a large stock of hardware, fancy goods, confectionery, and fruit. Mr. Benn was born in Rangiora on the 7th of March, 1874, and was brought up to country life. In February, 1882, he went to the West Coast, where he was farming for several years. On setting in the Cheviot district in 1891, he became caretaker for the Hurunui Rabbit Board. Three years later he again engaged in farming, which he followed until he established his present business. As a Freemason Mr. Benn is attached to Cheviot Lodge, No. 124, New Zealand Constitution. He was married, in 1900, to a daughter of Mr. A. Nicol, baker, McKenzie, and has one daughter.
Mr. T. B. Benn.
Cook, Frank A., (William Henry Moore, manager), Grocer and General Storekeeper, Cheviot Branch, Rolleston Street, McKenzie. The Cheviot branch of this firm was established in 1896, and is conducted in a large double-fronted shop built of wood and iron, with an office, a storeroom, and a large verandah. Mr. Cook does a considerable business throughout the district.
Mr. J. Gibson and Child.
Boyce, Alfred James, General Carrier, McKenzie. Mr. Boyce was born in Leithfield on the 29th of September, 1869. He began to drive a four horse coach when he was only eleven years of age, and, after leaving school, continued as a driver for a number of years. In 1901 he commenced with a waggon and team between Waipara and Cheviot. Mr. Boyce has a section of five acres under a lease in perpetuity at McKenzie, and has built a comfortable house and good stable. He was married, in July, 1897, to a daugher of Mr Daniel Fraser, Railway Inspector, of Springfield, and has one son.
Mr. and Mrs A. J. Boyce.