The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Amberley is a pleasant town district in the county of Ashley, within a mile or two of the sea. It is about fifteen miles north from Rangiora, and thirty-four miles from Christchurch. The situation of the town is exceptionally salubrious, and the surroundings have much scenic charm. Agriculture and sheep farming are carried on prosperously in the district, and Weka Pass, Mount Grey, and other neighbouring localities are noted for their scenery. Fine views of the sea are obtainable from most parts of the town. The railway station is 135 feet above the level of the sea. One mile nearer Christchurch there is a flag station known as Grey's Road, and three miles northwards there is another named Greeney's Road, so that the district is well off for railway stations. There are two hotels in the township, and several stores, besides blacksmiths' and engineers' shops, and other business premises. Amberley has a branch of the Bank of New South Wales, the most northern bank in Canterbury. The railway and postal departments are combined at the railway station. Fortnightly sales of stock are held in the township, which is under the control of a town board. At the census of April, 1901, the town district had a population of 417, and 219 persons were returned as residing in the neighbourhood, outside the boundaries of the town district.
The Amberley Town District was constituted on the 12th of May, 1885. The area of the town is 540 acres, apart from roads. The main north road runs through the district, and the boundaries extend about half a mile on the west, and half a mile on the east side of that thoroughfare. There are ninetv-six dwellings in the township owned by eighty-nine ratepayers, and the total number of properties is 130. The capital value of the district in 1902 was £28,018, on which a rate of and in the £ was levied. The revenue of the Board includes rates and license fees, and with a subsidy is about £200 per annum. There are no loans, and the finances of the Board generally show a credit balance. Members for 1902: Messrs J. M. Brodie (chairman), T. McNaught, J. E. Chamberlain, R. S. Turner, J. G. Harris, and J. McLean, junior. Mr. A. Greig, who acts as clerk to the Board, is an old settler in Canterbury.
Mr. James McKenzie Brodie, who has been chairman of the Amberley Town Board since 1897, was born in Perth, Tasmania, in 1837. At the age of one he accompanied his father to Melbourne, but was sent when eleven to Scotland to be educated. On returning to Australia, in 1862, he had two years' experience on a run in the Riverina district, and came to New Zealand in April, 1869. He settled in the Ellesmere district, where he farmed for about three years in partnership with Mr. John Hurst. In 1876 Mr. Brodie took a trip to London, and on his return in the following year settled in the Amberley district. He took up Berriedale Farm, near Mount Grey, which he worked till 1894. Since then he has resided in Amberley. Mr. Brodie was a member of the Kowai Road Board, and for a time chairman, and has been for some time chairman of the Amberley Library Committee. He married a daughter of Mr. C. A. Badham, late of the Irrigation Works. India, and has two sons and three daughters.
Tolputt and Clarke, photo.
Mr. J. M. Brodie.
Railway Station And Post And Telegraph Office, Amberley. The railway station was opened at Amberley about 1875. A post and telegraph office is attached, and the private box lobby contains thirty boxes. The post office at Broomfield is under the control of the Amberley postmaster. Four passengers and goods trains pass daily through the station. The stationmaster is assisted by a telegraph linesman, cadet, and porter; and mails are received and despatched daily.
Mr. Harry Daniel, Stationmaster and Postmaster at Amberley, was born in 1868, at Falmouth, England, and arrived at Wellington with his parents by the ship “Euterpe.” The family settled in Palmerston North, where Mr. Daniel entered the public service in 1892. He was afterwards stationed at Wanganui, Stratford, Halcombe, Woodlands, and Kingston, and has been in charge at Amberley since 1900. Mr. Daniel was married, in 1892, to a daughter of Mr Aliss, of Rewa, Hunterville, and has two sons and two daughters.
The Amberley Public School was established in the year 1872. It stands on a portion of a section of three acres, adjoining the Anglican church property, is of wood, and has three class-rooms, two porches, and a connecting lobby. There is accommodation for 180 pupils. In the middle quarter of 1902 the roll number was 122, and the average attendance 103. A convenient playground surrounds the school, and there is a twostoried, eight-roomed residence. The headmaster is assisted by an infant mistress and a pupil-teacher.
Mr. Frederick Alley, Headmaster of the Amberley Public School, was born in 1866, at Papanui. After serving his pupil teacher-ship he had a year's training at the Normal College, and was subsequently in charge at Charteris Bay, Irwell, and Springfield, before being appointed to his present position in February, 1898. Mr. Alley was married, in 1892, to a daughter of Mr. Buckingham, of Norwich, and has three sons and one daughter.
The Amberley Parish Of The Anglican Church dates from 1892. Prior to that time it was a part of the Leith-fleld parish. The district, as first constituted, included Waikari, which was separated from it in 1900. Amberley parish and district have an area of about 500 square miles, and services are held periodically at Tipapa, twentytwo miles distant; Mont Serrat, nineteen miles away; and at Waipara, Broomfield, and Esk Valley. The parish church at Amberley was originally erected in 1877, but the building, with the exception of the tower, was destroyed by a hurricane in 1889. The church was reconstructed, almost entirely on the original lines, at a cost of about £700, and has room for 140 worshippers. A school-room, which occupies a portion of the church property, page 536 was burnt down on the 16th of June, 1902. The vicarage, which adjoins the church, was erected at a cost of £550. There are about eighty children in attendance at the Sunday school, which is in charge of five teachers.
The Rev. Cecil Alexander Tobin, Vicar of Amberley, was born in Exmouth, Devcnshire, England, in 1856, and arrived at Lyttelton by the s.s. “Norfolk.” Having studied at St. John's College, Auckland, and at the New Zealand University, he was ordained deacon and priest in 1889. After being five years at Paparoa Mr. Tobin was appointed to the church at Amberley in 1892. He was married, in 1890, to a daughter of Mr. J. K. Brown, Limerick, Ireland, and has two sons and two daughters.
The Wesleyan Church at Amberley stands at the corner of Douglas and Church Streets. It was built in 1882, is of wood and iron, and has accommodation for 120 persons. A Sunday school, with four teachers and forty scholars, meets in the church. The district, of which Amberley is the centre, was started as a Home Mission station in 1880. For several years, however, it was connected with the Kaiapoi circuit, and a minister resided at Amberley. This, however, has since been changed, and Amberley is now worked as a Home Mission station. Services are held in the church every Sunday morning and evenmg, and the Home Missionary in charge officiates periodically at Broomfield, Omihi, Greta Valley, and Waipara.
Mr. William George Fitzgerald, Home Missionary in charge of the Amberley district, was born in Tasmania in 1876. He commenced preaching in 1899, became a Home Missionary at Jeparit, Victoria, in 1901, and was transferred to his position at Amberely in 1902.
The Magistrate's Court, Amberley, stands in Douglas Road. It was originally the post office building at Leithfield, but has been used as a courthouse since about 1870. There are monthly sittings in civil jurisdiction, and the local constable, Mr. M. Roach, acts as clerk of the court.
The Amberley Police District includes the settlements of Amberley, Sefton, Balcairn, Leithfield, Waipara, Tipapa, Scargill, Waikari, and Omihi. The station is in Markham Street, Amberely.
Mr. Maurice Roach, Constable in charge of the Amberley Police District, was born in 1842, in Limerick, Ireland. He served in the Limerick Mounted Rifles, and afterwards went to America, where he served in the cavalry, in the Federal Army, and fought to the end of the civil war. He was afterwards in the United States infantry; and for seven years subsequently was a member of the New Orleans metropolitan police. Mr. Roach arrived in Lyttelton by the ship “Countess of Kintore,” and joined the Armed Constabulary at the time of the Parihaka disturbance. He was afterwards transferred to the police force, and has been in charge at Amberley since 1893. Mr. Roach was married, in 1880, to Miss O'Brien, of Limerick, and has seven daughters and three sons.
Cook, Percival Robert, M.B.; Ch. B., Physician and Surgeon, Amberley. Dr Cook was born in Wellington in 1867. He studied at the Otago University, where he graduated in 1889. After practising four years at Roxburgh, Otago, he removed to Rangiora, and, three years later, to Amberley. Dr Cook was married, in 1900, to a daughter of Mr. J. C. Wilkin, of Christchurch, and has one son.
Morris, Matthew, M.R.C.S. (England), General Practitioner, Main Road, Amberley. Mr. Morris was born in Sussex, England, and arrived at Lyttelton by the ship “Rose of Sharon” in 1857. In 1862 he settled at Leithfield, and, when the railway was opened, removed to Amberley. He has been in practice for about forty years.
The Bank Of New South Wales, Amberley, was established there in 1890. The building, which is of two stories, and constructed of wood and iron, stands in a central position in Markham Street. It includes the banking chamber, and manager's room and residence. The land attached to the banking premises is two aores in extent. This is the most northerly bank in Canterbury.
Mr. Edward Kempthorne, Manager of the Bank of New South Wales, Amberley, was born in Auckland in 1845, and was educated at the Parnell Grammar School. He entered the service of the bank in 1869, at the Thames, where he remained for eight years. Mr. Kempthorne was afterwards stationed in Auckland and at Patea; he was manager at Ashburton for five years and a half, and was transferred to Amberley in 1896. He was married, in 1878, to a daughter of Mr P. Cald-well, of Queensland, and has two sons and one daughter.
Crown Hotel (William Stuart Mitchell, proprietor), corner of North Road and Main Street, Amberley. This hotel was established in 1876. The building, which is of wood and iron, and two stories in height, contains twenty-five rooms available for the public. There are twenty bedrcoms, and four sitting rooms, a billiard room with an Alcock table, and there is a large dining room, capable of seating eighty guests. A capital stable containing sixteen stalls and six loose boxes, a large buggy-shed, and a paddock of six acres are attached to the hotel.
Mr. William Stuart Mitchell, Proprietor of the Crown Hotel, was born in Geraldine, in 1869. He was brought up to the drapery trade in his father's firm, Messrs Mitchell and Turner, of Ashburton, but subsequently took the Southbridge Hotel, which he conducted for four years. Having sold his interest at Southbridge, he purchased the Crown Hotel, Amberley, of which he took possession on the 20th of March, 1962. As a volunteer Mr. Mitchell served for four years in the old Scottish Rifles in Christchurch, and he was captain of the Ashburton Cycling and Atbletic Club for about four years, and one of the founders of the swimming club in that town. He takes a keen interest in cricket and football, and during his stay in Southbridge was one of the promoters of the local bowling club. Special attention is given to the accommodation of cyclists at the Crown Hotel, where bot and cold baths are always at their service. Mr. Mitchell was married, in 1896, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Henry, of the Commercial Hotel, Ashburton.
Mr. W. S. Mitchell.
Railway Hotel (George Garrett Fitzgerald, proprietor), near the railway station, Amberley. The Railway Hotel is a twostorey wood and iron building, which affords good accommodation to the public. There are twelve bedrooms and three sitting rooms, and a commodious dining room, with accommodation for fifty guests. There is a stable with eight stalls, and two lcose boxes; and a conventient padbock adjoins the hotel.
Midgley, W., and Co. (William Midgley). General Storekeeper, Markham Street. Amberley. This business was established about 1880, and was conducted by Mr. F. A. Cook, of Christchurch, for about four years prior to the 20th of April, 1901, when Mr. Midgley entered into possession. The premises comprise a double-fronted shop and store behind, with departments for grocery, ironmongery, glassware, boots and shoes. Goods are delivered to customers within a radius of fifteen miles.
Mr. William Midgley was born in Bradford, Yorkshire, England, in 1862, and when four years of age he arrived with his parents at Lyttelton by the ship “Eastern Empire.” He was brought up to the drapery trade in Christchurch with the firm of Messrs Ballantyne and Co., to whom he was apprenticed for five years. Removing to Ashburton he was employed by Messrs Friedlander Bros, for eighteen months, and subsequently entered the employment of Messrs C. Hardy and Co., Rakaia, with whom he continued for seventeen years, and had the practical management of the business for a portion of that time. During his residence in Rakaia, Mr. Midgley was for some time a member of the local school committee. page 537 of which he was chairman for eighteen months. As a Freemason he is a Past Master, and is attached to Lodge Rakaia, No. 31, New Zealand Constitution, and is also a Past Grand of the Rakaia Lodge of Oddfellows. Mr. Midgley was married, in 1885, to a daughter of Mr. W. Sowman, of Nelson, and has four sons and three daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. W. Midgley.
Rhodes, William Henry, General Storekeeper and Grain Merchant, Markham Street, Amberley. Mr. Rhodes established his business in 1896, and conducts extensive operations in general farm produce. He was born in 1854, at Lyttelton, and accompanied his father, the late Mr. Alfred Rhodes, in 1867 to Leithfield, where he was brought up to country life. In 1886 he joined Messrs Benn and Co., in Amberley, and when the firm relinquished business in 1890 Mr. Rhodes took over the produce branch, which he has since conducted. Mr. Rhodes takes a general interest in matters affecting the welfare of his district, and is a member of the Amberley Steeplechase Club, and of the North Canterhury Caledonian Society.
Smith, Henry, General Storekeeper, Hairdresser, and Tobacconist, Markham Stroet, Amberley. Mr. Smith established his business in 1897, and has a convenient shop, with a hairdressing saloon behind. He was born in Amberley on the 19th of August, 1870, and learned his trade in Greymouth, where he practised it for some yeas. On returning to Amberley he began business on his own account; and subsequently added the business of general storekeeper. Mr. Smith is agent at Amberley for the “Lyttelton Times,” and for the Alliance Insurance Company. As a Druid he is attached to Hope of Amberley Lodge, No. 8, and he is also a member of the bicycle, cricket, and steeplechase clubs. Mr. Smith was married on the 20th of April, 1896, to a daughter of Mr. J. W. Moore, of Amberley, and has one daughter.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. H. Smith.
Mason, C. B., Coal and Timber Merchant, Amberley. Mr. Mason established his business in 1879, and does an extensive trade throughout the district. He was born in 1853 in Lyttelton, where he received his education, and removed with his parents to Leithfield in 1868, soon afterwards joining the firm of Messrs. Benn and Co., at Amberley. In 1879 he purchased his present business, which he has greatly increased. Mr. Mason is the local agent for the south British Insurance Company, and for the Christchurch “Press” Company. He always takes an active part in anything tending to advance the town or district, is a member of the licensing bench, and for eight years was a member of the town board. Mr. Mason has been captain of the local cricket club for many years, is vice-president and treasurer of the Caledonian Society, vice-president and treasurer of the football club, and vice-president of the bicycle club. He is a past-master of the Masonic fraternity, and a past-noble grand of the Oddfellows' order, and is also a vestryman of the Anglican church. Mr. Mason was married in 1879 to Miss Barcley, of Sefton, and has three sons and one daughter.
Mr. C. B. Mason.
“Ardross” (Hugh Henry McLean, proprietor), Amberley. This property, which is 400 acres in extent, was originally owned by Mr. Hugh McLean, father of the present proprietor. The estate carries about 1000 sheep.
Mr. Hugh Henry McLean, Proprietor of “Ardross,” was born in Christchurch in May, 1880. He was educated at Amberley and at Warwick House (Mr. Cook's school), in Christchurch. Mr. McLean gained his experience of agricultural and pastoral pursuits in the Amberley district. As a Freemason he is attached to Lodge Amberley, No. 2007, English Constitution.
Bristow, Richard, Farmer, North Kowai, Amberley. Mr. Bristow was born, in 1838, in Lincolnshire, England, where he was brought up to country life by his father, who was a farmer and butcher. In 1861 he came to Lyttelton by the ship “Cashmere,” and for about eighteen months settled in the neighbourhood of Kaiapoi. For two years subsequently Mr. Bristow was working in Maori Bush, and was afterwards for a time engaged in contract fencing at Gebbie's Valley. He finally settled in the Amberley district, in 1867, and purchased sixty acres of land, part of the farm of 160 acres, which he has since worked. Mr. Bristow served for seventeen years as a member of the Kowai Road Board, and was its chairman for about eighteen months. He has also served as a member of the Broomfield school committee. As a Freemason he is a member of Lodge Amberley, No. 2007, English Constitution. Mr. Bristow was married, in 1875, to a daughter of Mr. J. Stanton, of Amberley, and has had five daughters and four sons Two sons have died.
Brackenfield Farm (G. B. Starky, proprietor), Amberley. This property consists of 1400 acres of freehold, and is used as a mixed farm.
Mr. George Bayntun Starky, Proprietor of Brackenfield Farm, was born in Wiltshire, England, in 1858. He was educated at Marlborough, and came out to Lyttelton in 1881, when he settled at “Brackenfield.” Mr. Starky has served as a member of the Kowai Road Board. He founded the Brackenfield Hunt Club in 1883. The hounds are kept on the estate, and meet twice a week in the winter. Mr. Starky was married, in page 538 1881, to a daughter of the Rev. W. C. Plenderleath, rector of Manhead, near Exeter, England, and has six sons.
Baker, Percy Thomas, Sheepfarmer, Springfield Estate, Amberley. This wellknown settler was born in Kent in 1859, was educated at Tunbridge Grammar School and at the Blue Coat Boys' School, and put to commercial life in London. Coming out to the Colony in 1877 in the ship “Hurunui,” Captain Barclay, he entered on station life, and subsequently tried his luck on the gold fields of the West Coast, with fair success. He then engaged in the cattle trade by land and sea, in which he was also successful. Mr. Baker's property consists of 1500 acres, and was purchased in 1894. A large amount of money has been judiciously spent in building, planting, fencing, and ploughing; grain and root crops are raised and a large number of sheep and lambs annually fattened. The proprietor makes a specialty of raising fat lambs for the London market, and for this purpose uses Shropshire rams and half-bred ewes, which he finds give the best results. He is also a breeder of cob horses. Mr. Baker ranges himself on the Liberal side, and takes a general interest in local politics, being a member of the school committee, of which he was chairman for a term. He is a steward of the Jockey Club, a director of the Caledonian Society, and a Freemason. In 1889 he married Miss Mungum, and has two sons and one daughter.
Mr. P. T. Baker.
Broomfield Estate, Amberley. This property, which contains 4000 acres of freehold land, is held by the executors of the late Mr. George Douglass. Excellent crops of grain and roots are raised, and a robust flock of crossbred sheep is kept.
Mr. John Kennedy, Manager of the Broomfield Estate, was born at High Bridge, Inverness-shire, Scotland, in 1850, and was educated at Bunroy national school. He followed pastoral pursuits from his early years, and at the age of sixteen was a shepherd on the Brae Rannoch estate, and afterwards game-keeper and deer-stalker to Sir Arthur Chichester, at Black Mount. When Sir Arthur's lease expired, Mr. Kennedy entered the service of Colonel Hill in a similar capacity, under Mr. William Morgan, one of the best shots of his time. Mr. Kennedy came to the Colony in 1877 in the ship “Waitangi,” under engagement to Dr. Fisher, of Grampian Hills, in the Mackenzie country. Subsequently, he was appointed head shepherd at White Rock, where he remained for several years, afterwards purchasing land and farming on his own account for a number of years. He was married in 1888 to Miss Campbell, who died in 1892; he has since married Mrs. McDonald.
Mr. J. Kennedy.
Brown, David, Farmer and Contractor. “Poplar Lodge,” Amberley. Mr. Brown was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in 1842, and brought up to country life. He arrived at Lyttelton by the ship “Chrysolite” in 1861. After a short experience on the Otago diggings he settled in Leithfield, where he took Seaview Farm, and subsquently conducted an accommodation house and butchery for a number of years. He began business as a contractor and general dealer in 1875. Afterwards he had a fiax mill, and a thrashing machine. During his residence in the district he has done a great deal of work as a road contractor. He made the Balmoral water race, and part of the Waiau water race, and worked for a time on the construction of the Weka Pass railway. He has fifty acres of freehold, and also works 151 acres of freehold, and forty acres of leasehold at Waipara. Mr. Brown is a member of the Amberley Domain Board, and has been connected with the local school committee. He is also associated with the Oddfollows and the Order of Druids in Amberley. Mr. Brown was married, in 1872, to a daughter of the late Mr. S. Wornall, of The Terrace, Leithfield, and has had ten daughters and four sons. One son and one daughter are dead.
Mr. and Mrs D. Brown.
Mr. S. Coleman.
Davis, William, Farmer, Eastington Farm, Amberley. This property consists of 700 acres of freehold land. Mr. Davis, the proprietor, was born in Gloucestershire, England, in 1847. He arrived at Lyttelton in the ship “Mermaid” in 1862, and farmed in the Hororata district for about twenty years. He purchased the first portion of his property at Amberley in 1876, and has increased it from 230 acres to its present area. Mr. Davis also leases 400 acres, and runs 1000 sheep on his estate. He served for some time as a member of the Balcairn school committee, and has lately been chairman of the Eskvale committee, having been prominent in advocating the establishment of that school. Mr. Davis was married, in 1876, to a daughter of Mr. T. Ward, of Hororata, and has three sons and seven daughters.
Dalziel, Matthew, Junior, Farmer, Amberley. Mr. Dalziel was born at Cheviot Hills Station in 1857, and worked for a good many years at “Bramdean.” In 1885 he began on his own account, and now farms 325 acres. Mr. Dalziel has served on the Amberley school committee for a number of years and has been its chairman for seven years. He has held a seat on the North Canterbury Education Board since 1898. having been reelected in 1901. Mr. Dalziel is connected with the Amberley Lodge of Druids, and is a Past Arch. He was married, in 1879, to the eldest daughter of Mr. C. H. Hadler, of Amberley, and has two sons and six daughters.
“Glasnevin” (George Norman McLean proprietor), Amberley. “Glasnevin” consists of 1235 acres of freehold land; and about 2000 sheep are depastured on the property, which is under the management of Mr. James McMrran.
Mr. George Norman McLean, Proprietor of “Glasnevin,” was born at the Crown Hotel, Amberley, in 1882. He was educated at Mr. Charles Cook's school, Christchurch, and was brought up to country life in the Amberley district. Mr. McLean has been a member of the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry Volunteers since 1899. He is interested in hunting, and is a member of the Brackenfield Hunt Club, and also of the Amberley Steeplechase Club. Mr. McLean inherited his fine property from his father, the late Mr. Hugh McLean.
Mr. G. N. McLean.
Hadler, Christian Heinrich, Farmer, “Rhinefield,” Amberley. Mr. Hadler was born in the parish of Rodan, Germany, on the 27th of May, 1880, and brought up to country life. He came to Lyttelton in 1856 by the ship “Egmont,” on which the late Bishop Harper was also a passenger. For two years Mr. Hadler found employment at the Styx, and was afterwards engaged at Maori Bush. He soon acquired a team of bullocks, with which he carted timber from the bush for a number of years. Mr Hadler saved money, and settled in the Amberley distriot, where he purchased his farm in 1866. His property, which consists of 168 acres of freehold, has been reclaimed from its wild state, and developed into a fine farm. Mr. Hadler served for about nineteen years on the Amberley school committee, and has been a churchwarden of the local Anglican church since 1882. He was married, in 1859, to Miss Grace Ewings, of Papanui, who died the following year, leaving one daughter. In 1805 he was married to a daughter of the late Mr. Hugh Munro, of Sutherlandshire, Scotland. Mrs Hadler died in 1882, leaving nine sons and two daughters.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. C. H. Hadler.
Hadler, Frederick Alexander, Farmer, “Rcsedale,” Amberley. Mr. Hadler was born at Amberley, in 1873, and brought up to country life by his father, Mr. C. H. Hadler. He has farmed on his own account since 1897, and his property consists of sixty acres of fine land. Mr. Hadler is a member of the Hope of Amberley Lodge of Druids, and takes an active interest in the local Caledonian sports. He was married, on the 4th of November, 1896, to a daughter of Mr. D. Brown, of Amberley. Mrs Hadler died in 1899, leaving one daughter.
Mr. F. A. Hadler.
Kennedy, Alexander, Farmer. “Redhill,” Amberley. Mr. Kennedy was born in the romantic valley of Glencoe, Scotland, in 1849. He accompanied his parents to the Colony in 1858 in the ship “Indiana,” his father being under engagement to the late Mr. Hugh Buchanan, of Kinloch, Little River. Having gained valuable experience page 540 on some of the largest runs in the province, he was appointed head shepherd of Lake Gion in 1871, which position he held nine years, when he acquired “Redhill” farm. This farm comprises 250 acres, and is well adapted for growing grain and root crops, and carries a flock of healthy crossbred sheep. Mr. Kennedy was appointed manager of Benmore station in 1883, remaiuing there thirteen years; subsequently, he took up 4326 acres on the eastern slopes of Mount Grey, where he keeps a flock of Merino ewes. Mr. Kennedy was married in 1883 to Miss Hislop, and has four sons and three daughters.
Lewton, James, Farmer, Amberley. Mr. Lewton is a native of Gloucestershire, where he was born in 1833, and educated in South Wales, and came to Melbourne in 1854 in the ship “Nabob.” Like many other pioneers, he tried the Victorian goldfields, and crossed over to New Zealand in 1861, landing in Dunedin. Mr. Lewton built a cutter at the Taieri, and sailed her on the Wailiola lake, selling her afterwards in Dunedin. He then removed to Canterbury and commenced a boot and shoe business, in which he succeeded very well. After disposing of this he entered into hotel-keeping at Ohoka and Rangiora, and ultimately settled down as a farmer at Amberley in 1865. Mr. Lewton has served on the Amberley Town Board and School Committee, has acted as steward of the North Canterbury steeplechase meetings, clerk of scales of the Amberley Racing Club, and director of the Caledonian Society. He was married in 1866 to Miss Harrison, and has three sons and two daughters.
Lawcock, John, Farmer, “Newton Head,” Amberley. This property, which was originally owned by the late Mr. John Lawcock, who died in 1892, consists of 102 acres of freehold and 140 acres of leasehold land. It is now owned by Mr. J. Lawcock, who was born in Amberley in 1865, and brought up to country life by his father. He became manager of the property when his father died, and entered into full possession as owner at the death of his mother in 1900.
Mr. J. Lawcock.
Mount Brown Estate, Amberley.
Mr. Joshua Kidd, Shepherd of the Mount Brown estate, was born, in 1842, in Perthshire, Scotland, where he gained his earlier experience of country life. He arrived in Lyttelton by the ship “Gannonoque,” in May, 1860. After a year at Maori Bush Mr. Kidd removed to the Amberley district, and has occupied the position of shepherd of Mount Brown estate for forty years. Mr. Kidd was married, in 1873, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Johnston, of Christchurch, and has six sons and three daughters. Mrs. Kidd, who has resided in New Zealand since January, 1850, was born at Hobart, Tasmania, in the last month of 1849, and was brought to Wellington while an infant.
Mr. and Mrs J. Kidd.
Mockett, Henry James, Farmer, “Brackenbridge,” Amberley. Mr. Mockett was born, in 1855, in Kent, England, and brought up as a farmer. He came to Lyttelton by the ship “Stadt Haarlem,” in 1879, and settled in the Amberley district, where he has been engaged principally in dairy farming. Mr. Mockett's property consists of thirty acres at “Brackenbridge,” and forty acres at Gray's Road. He was married, in 1877, to Miss Hunt, of Suffolk, England. This lady died in 1882, leaving two sons and two daughters. In 1886 Mr. Mockett married Miss Bell, of Leithfield, and has two sons and two daughters by this union.
Mr. H. J. Mockett.
Mr. and Mrs J. Shaw.
Mr. J. Shaw's Residence.
Stanton, John James, Farmer, Amberley. Mr. Stanton was born on Summerfield farm, Amberley, in 1873. He gained his experience under his father, and has managed the property since 1864. As a Freemason, Mr. Stanton is attached to Lodge Amberley, No. 2007, English Constitution, and was appointed its secretary in 1902. He was married, in 1902, to a daughter of Mr. R. Sloper. of Amberley.
“Stockgrove” (George Dean Greenwood, proprietor), Amberley. This estate consists of 1000 acres of freehold land, which carries from 1400 to 1500 head of sheep.
Mr. William Hunter, Shepherd-incharge of “Stockgrove,” was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in June, 1852. He accompanied his father, the late Mr. W. Hunter, to Port Chalmers by the ship “Resolute” in 1864, and the family settled in the Selwyn district. In 1884 Mr. Hunter entered the service of Mr. Greenwood as fencer, and has remained in that gentleman's employment until the present time. He became a shepherd in 1890, and three years later, was placed in charge of “Stockgrove” Mr. Hunter is an old Oddfellow. He was married, in 1876, to Miss Hunter, of Clackmannanshire, Scotland, who came out to the colony, in 1873, by the ship “Cardigan Castle,” and has had three sons and three daughters. One son has died.
Stonyhurst Station (A. McAdam manager), Amberley. This is the property of Sir George Clifford, and was originally taken up by Sir Charles Clifford and Sir Frederick Weld. The run then included Greta Peaks, 25,000 acres, and a large portion of Happy Valley. “Stonyhurst” now consists of 23,000 acres of freehold land, and carries a sheep to the acre. The improvements include a mansion house, built of stone and iron, and there are large and well-grown plantations, with English oaks, Australian hard woods, and pines from all parts of the world. Ploughing is carried on in all parts of the estate, and the land thus broken up and cropped is laid down in artificial grass. The rabbit-proof fences, too, have been extended, and erected round the greater part of the estate.
Mr. A. McAdam, the Manager, was born in 1863 at Glenturret, Roy Bridge, Invernesshire, Scotland, and was brought up to pastoral life. In 1891 he came to New Zealand in the s.s. “Rimutaka,” and landed at Wellington on the 10th of August. He transhipped by the first boat to Lyttelton, and went soon afterwards to “Stonyhurst,” where he was appointed to his present position in 1896.
2400 Lambs bought by Mr. A. E. Tutton in one line at Culverden.
Watson, Edwin, Farmer, Gray's Road, Amberley. Mr. Watson was born in Somersetshire, England, in 1840. He spent the first years of his life on his father's farm, and came to Nelson in 1863, by the ship “Annie Dymes.” After a few months in the Nelson district, Mr. Watson removed to Balcairn to join his brother, Mr. John Watson. About the year 1864 he purchased his first 100 acres, on Gray's Road, on which his homestead still stands. He has increased his property since that time to 720 acres. In the early days Mr. Watson served as a volunteer; as a member of the Order of Druids, he is attached to the Amberley Lodge. He was married to a daughter of the late Mr. H. Smalley, of “Brackenbridge,” Amberley, and has seven sons and three daughters.
Mr. and Mrs E. Watson.
Wornall, George Alexander, Farmer, “Broomfield,” Amberley. Mr. Wornall was born in County Wicklow, Ireland. He accompanied his parents to the Colony in the ship “Sir George Seymour” in 1851, and was educated at Papanui. In 1867 Mr. Wornall removed with his parents to the Terrace, near Leithfield. The north road was formed at that time as far as Saltwater Creek, but beyond there was only a track. Wheat at the period sold at ten shillings per bushel, and for a number of years the price was from six shillings to seven shillings per bushel, grain being carted to Kaiapoi, where it was shipped. The settlers were few and far between, there being only three houses where now stands the township of Amberley. Mr. Wornall is a prominent Oddfellow, having passed through all the district chairs; he is also secretary to the North Canterbury Caledonian Society, a member of the Amberley school committee, chairman of the Broomfield school committee and chairman of the Kowai Road Board. He has always taken an active part in athletic sports, having won the quarter-mile hurdle race for three years in succession at Latimer Square, besides holding the New Zealand record for standing high jumping, and winning a number of prizes at sports in different parts of the province. Mr. Wornall's well-cultivated farm is situated on the banks of the Kowai river. He was married in 1873 to Miss Lennox, and has two sons.
Mr. G. A. Wornall.
Mr. Matthew Dalziel. Old Colonist, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1831. He learned the trade of a stonemason, and came out to Adelaide in 1852. In Australia he was employed in building for the Hon. W. Robinson, with whom he came to New Zealand, in 1856, and settled at “Cheviot Hills.” Four years later, Mr. Dalziel removed to Fernside, where he farmed for nine years. In 1869 he settled at “Bramdean,” on which he worked till 1886. Mr. Dalziel was married, in 1852, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Boyd of Fenwick, Ayrshire. Mrs Dalziel died on the 7th of February, 1897, leaving six sons, six daughters, and thirty-eight grandchildren.
Mr. Hugh McLean, sometime of Ardross, Amberley, was born at Alness, in Ross-shire, Scotland, on the 23rd of June, 1838. In his early years he was coachman to Mr. Fraser, of Novar Mains, and was subsequently with Mr. McKenzie, factor, Ardross, in the same capacity. He came out to New Zealand in 1862, in the ship “Queen of the Mersey,” and entered the service of Messrs Cameron, with whom he stayed over thirteen years. Mr. McLean built the Crown Hotel, Amberley, in 1876, and subsequently purchased the properties now known as “Ardross” and “Glasnevin.” He served on the town board and school committee, took a keen interest in all kinds of sport; was vice-president of the Amberley Racing Club and the Caledonian Society, and was always ready to advance the interest of the district. Mr. McLean was married, in 1876, to Miss Tankard, and had two sons. He died in March, 1892.
Mr. H. McLean.
Mr. William James Milner was one of the passengers by the ship “Glentanner,” which arrived at Lyttelton, on the 3rd of October, 1857. He is the son of a schoolmaster educated at St. Bees College, and was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1836. After arriving in Canterbury he settled at Woodend, where he began farming in 1858. In 1862 he removed to the Amberley district, and engaged in farming there for many years. In the early days he took a great interest in ploughing matches, and has been a great advocate for systematic practical farming, on the English system. Mr. Milner has studied natural history from his youth, and is a recognised authority on English birds. He was page 543 married, in 1859, to the only sister of the late Mr. S. Mounsey, Woodend, and has five sons and two daughters.
Mr. John Stanton was born at Smethwick, Birmingham, England, in 1828, and was brought up as an iron-moulder. In 1858 he arrived at Lyttelton by the ship “Roehampton,” and after a year at Mount Grey Downs station found employment at Maori Bosh. Ho settled in the Amberley district, in 1865, and acquired 185 acres of freehold, which has been brought from its native condition into a state of advanced cultivation. Mr. Stanton was married, in 1850, to a daughter of Mr. J. Nichols, of Smethwick, Birmingham, and has had six daughters and two sons. One son and one daughter have died.
Mr. and Mrs J. Stanton.
Mr. James William Thomas was weil known in the Amberley district as a bridge contractor. He was born in 1845, at Broadoak, in the Forest of Dean, England, and was a shipwright by trade. In 1874 he came to Lyttelton by the ship “Stonehouse,” and settled in the Amberley district, where he found employment in connection with the building of bridges and other large works. Mr. Thomas constructed the railway bridge between Rangiora and Waipara, under the late Mr. E. G. Wright, and also several bridges on the Waipara-Cheviot Road. For some time Mr. Thomas resided on the Liethfield Road, but he subsequently bought fifteen acres on the North Road, and erected a comfortable homestead. He was a Freemason and a member of the Order of Oddfellows. Mr. Thomas was married, in 1869, to a daughter of the late Mr. W. Gardener, of Gloucestershire, and at his death, on the 26th of December, 1901, was survived by his wife, five daughters and three son.
The Late mr. J. W. Thomas.
Eskvale Public School was established in 1896. The building is of wood and iron, and contains a class-room and a porch. It has accommodation for twenty pupils; there are eleven names on the roll, and the average attendance is eleven. The building stands on a portion of a section of an acre of land.
Miss Mary Florence Hoggins, Mistress of the Eskvale Public School, was born in British Guiana, South America. She was educated in England and at Sydney, and arrived in Canterbury, in 1899. Miss Hoggins had two years' experience as a private teacher in Australia, and was appointed mistress of Eskvale school, in May, 1902.
The Church Of The Passion, Brackenfield, near Amberley, was erected in the early sixties, and stands on part of a section of twenty-seven acres. The building is of wood and shingles, and has accommodation for 150 persons. Weekly services are held by the priest in charge at Hawarden.