The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Mr. Matthew Dalziel. Old Colonist, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1831. He learned the trade of a stonemason, and came out to Adelaide in 1852. In Australia he was employed in building for the Hon. W. Robinson, with whom he came to New Zealand, in 1856, and settled at “Cheviot Hills.” Four years later, Mr. Dalziel removed to Fernside, where he farmed for nine years. In 1869 he settled at “Bramdean,” on which he worked till 1886. Mr. Dalziel was married, in 1852, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Boyd of Fenwick, Ayrshire. Mrs Dalziel died on the 7th of February, 1897, leaving six sons, six daughters, and thirty-eight grandchildren.
Mr. Hugh McLean, sometime of Ardross, Amberley, was born at Alness, in Ross-shire, Scotland, on the 23rd of June, 1838. In his early years he was coachman to Mr. Fraser, of Novar Mains, and was subsequently with Mr. McKenzie, factor, Ardross, in the same capacity. He came out to New Zealand in 1862, in the ship “Queen of the Mersey,” and entered the service of Messrs Cameron, with whom he stayed over thirteen years. Mr. McLean built the Crown Hotel, Amberley, in 1876, and subsequently purchased the properties now known as “Ardross” and “Glasnevin.” He served on the town board and school committee, took a keen interest in all kinds of sport; was vice-president of the Amberley Racing Club and the Caledonian Society, and was always ready to advance the interest of the district. Mr. McLean was married, in 1876, to Miss Tankard, and had two sons. He died in March, 1892.
Mr. H. McLean.
Mr. William James Milner was one of the passengers by the ship “Glentanner,” which arrived at Lyttelton, on the 3rd of October, 1857. He is the son of a schoolmaster educated at St. Bees College, and was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1836. After arriving in Canterbury he settled at Woodend, where he began farming in 1858. In 1862 he removed to the Amberley district, and engaged in farming there for many years. In the early days he took a great interest in ploughing matches, and has been a great advocate for systematic practical farming, on the English system. Mr. Milner has studied natural history from his youth, and is a recognised authority on English birds. He was page 543 married, in 1859, to the only sister of the late Mr. S. Mounsey, Woodend, and has five sons and two daughters.
Mr. John Stanton was born at Smethwick, Birmingham, England, in 1828, and was brought up as an iron-moulder. In 1858 he arrived at Lyttelton by the ship “Roehampton,” and after a year at Mount Grey Downs station found employment at Maori Bosh. Ho settled in the Amberley district, in 1865, and acquired 185 acres of freehold, which has been brought from its native condition into a state of advanced cultivation. Mr. Stanton was married, in 1850, to a daughter of Mr. J. Nichols, of Smethwick, Birmingham, and has had six daughters and two sons. One son and one daughter have died.
Mr. and Mrs J. Stanton.
Mr. James William Thomas was weil known in the Amberley district as a bridge contractor. He was born in 1845, at Broadoak, in the Forest of Dean, England, and was a shipwright by trade. In 1874 he came to Lyttelton by the ship “Stonehouse,” and settled in the Amberley district, where he found employment in connection with the building of bridges and other large works. Mr. Thomas constructed the railway bridge between Rangiora and Waipara, under the late Mr. E. G. Wright, and also several bridges on the Waipara-Cheviot Road. For some time Mr. Thomas resided on the Liethfield Road, but he subsequently bought fifteen acres on the North Road, and erected a comfortable homestead. He was a Freemason and a member of the Order of Oddfellows. Mr. Thomas was married, in 1869, to a daughter of the late Mr. W. Gardener, of Gloucestershire, and at his death, on the 26th of December, 1901, was survived by his wife, five daughters and three son.
The Late mr. J. W. Thomas.
Eskvale Public School was established in 1896. The building is of wood and iron, and contains a class-room and a porch. It has accommodation for twenty pupils; there are eleven names on the roll, and the average attendance is eleven. The building stands on a portion of a section of an acre of land.
Miss Mary Florence Hoggins, Mistress of the Eskvale Public School, was born in British Guiana, South America. She was educated in England and at Sydney, and arrived in Canterbury, in 1899. Miss Hoggins had two years' experience as a private teacher in Australia, and was appointed mistress of Eskvale school, in May, 1902.
The Church Of The Passion, Brackenfield, near Amberley, was erected in the early sixties, and stands on part of a section of twenty-seven acres. The building is of wood and shingles, and has accommodation for 150 persons. Weekly services are held by the priest in charge at Hawarden.