The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Loburn is on the north side of the river Ashley, about four miles from Rangiora, and the same distance from Ashley. The office of the Ashley Road Board is located in the district. There are two schools, one at North Loburn and one at South Loburn, and there is a post office at each school. The district, which is devoted to farming, is in the Mount Thomas riding of the Ashley county, and has several small rivers which are crossed by means of fords. At the census of 1901 the district had a population of 537 souls.
The Ashley Road Board was constituted in 1870. The boundaries of the district are from the Ashley railway bridge to the top of Mount Grey by an irregular line, thence to the top of Mount Karetu, and from that point northwards to the Waipara river. For ten or twelve miles from this point the boundary follows a road, and then branches off at the back of Lees valley, to the Ashley river, and on to the point of commencement. The area of the district is about 250,000 acres, and the valuation is £324,000. The usual rate is a 1/2d. in the £, but for the year 1902 it was 3/4d. in the £. There are 620 dwellings in the district, and about 300 ratable properties, owned by 185 ratepayers. The district has 155 miles of formed roads, and there are twelve principal fords over the rivers Ashley, Makerikeri, Okuku, Garry, Karetu, and Grey. The district includes the settlements of North and South Loburn, Okuku, and Birch Hill, all of which are school districts, and about half the Ashley school district. There are no loans. Members of the board: Messrs W. A. Banks (chairman), H. S. Carmichael, D. Carr, J. Dobson, M. Kennedy. Mr. John William Joynt is clerk and surveyor.
Mr. John William Joynt, Clerk and Surveyor to the Ashley Road Board, is a son of Mr. T. I. Joynt, the well-known solicitor, of Christchurch. He was born in Christchurch in 1864, and educated at Cook's School, Christ's College, and at the Lincoln College. Mr Joynt was dairy farming near Stratford, Taranaki, for two years, and for a like period was manager of the Maranui station, on behalf of the Union Bank. On settling in Loburn, in 1896, Mr. Joynt took up his present position. He was married, in 1898, to a daughter of Mr. A. H. Shury, of Ashburton, sometime manager of the Union Bank there, and has one daughter and one son.
The Post Office, North Loburn, is conducted at the residence of the local schoolmaster. Mails are received and despatched on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The post office was established in the district in 1882. Mr. John Sayle Dalby is postmaster.
The Public School, North Loburn, is built of wood and iron, and was erected about 1882. It has accommodation for sixty pupils, and in the first quarter of 1902 there were forty names on the roll, with an average attendance of thirty-three. The teacher's residence adjoins the school, and the grounds consist of four acres, including the garden and playground.
Mr. John Sayle Dalby, Headmaster of North Loburn School, was born in Norfolk, England, in 1858. He was educated as a student of medicine at St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London, and landed at the Bluff, from Melbourne, in 1879. He served under the Otago Board of Education at Kurow and Glenkennick, and under the North Canterbury Board of Education at Mandeville Plains, before being appointed to North Loburn in 1888. Mr. Dalby was married, in 1881, to a daughter of Mr. W. Gardiner, of Annadown, Galway, Ireland.
The Anglican Church at South Loburn, is small wood and iron building, which was erected in 1890. Monthly services are held, and there is accommodation for forty adults.
The Presbyterian Church, Loburn, dates from 1890. It originally belonged to the Sefton charge, and was transferred to the care of the minister at Rangiora in 1895. The church is of wood and iron, with a schoolroom attached, and has seating accommodation for seventy adults; the Sunday school is attended by forty children, in charge of four teachers. The building is erected on a section of three-quarters of an acre of land, presented by the Carmichael family.
The Roman Catholic Church at Loburn was built in 1874 on an acre of land. It is centrally situated in the southern part of the settlement, and has accommodation for 120 persons. The cost of the property was £350. Loburn is a portion of the Rangiora. parish.
The Wesleyan Methodist Church, Raith by (Loburn), was founded in the fifties by Mr. David Patrick. The building is of wood and iron, and there is a good piece of land, including the cemetery, of over an acre in extent. The minister at Rangiora is in charge of the district.
Banks, William Alexander, Farmer, “Longhope,” Loburn. Mr .Banks was born in Christchurch in 1860, of Scottish parentage. He was educated at Loburn school, and served a pupil-teachership at Rangiora. After two years at the Normal School he was appointed teacher at Aylesbury, and six months later was transferred to Carleton, where he continued two years. For fifteen years and a half he was in charge at Lincoln, where he was presented with an illuminated address. After two years at Belfast, Mr. Banks settled in Loburn, in 1900. His farm consists of 400 acres of leasehold land. He was elected chairman of the Ashley Road Board in 1901, and still holds the position. As a volunteer Mr. Banks is a corporal of the Honorary Reserve Corps, which he joined in 1890. He went Home in the year of the late Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897, as a member of the Bisley Rifle Team, in which he was one of the best scorers. He has won hundreds of prizes with his poultry, and is vice-president of the Northern Agricultural and Pastoral Association. Mr. Banks was married, in 1882, to a daughter of Mr. D. McIntyre, of Fernside, and has two sons and three daughters.
Tolputt and Clarke, photo.
Mr. W. A. Banks.
Barker, Joseph, Farmer, “Richmond Hill,” Loburn. Mr. Barker was born in Cumberland, England, in 1829, and was educated at a private school. His early years were passed on his father's farm, and subsequently he learned the building trade. Coming to the Colony in 1851, Mr. Barker worked at his trade for a few years, and after visiting the goldfields of Australia, where he had fair success, he returned to New Zealand. He purchased several sections of land in and around Christchurch, which he subsequently sold to advantage. Mr. Barker's property comprises 1450 acres of freehold (including the Hillside Estate, which he has recently purchased), the first portion of which was acquired in 1866 in its natural state. It is now surrounded by well-metalled roads, and is highly improved and devoted to mixed farming. Mr. Barker since settling at Loburn, has taken an active part in furthering the advancement of the district. He made a gift to the Board of Education of two acres of land on which the Loburn school is erected, and was member of the school committee for over twenty years, being chairman for part of that time. He was also a member of the Ashley Road Board for several years, having been returned at the first election for that district; and has been connected with the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and the local library. Mr. Barker was married in 1862 to Miss Dixon, and has four sons and four daughters.
Mr. J. Barker.
Barwell, George, Farmer, Loburn. The subject of this notice was born in London, where he was educated, and after gaining experience in commercial life, came to the Colony in 1859 in the ship “Zealandia.” Not finding employment at his trade, he engaged in station life for a number of years. In 1866 he took up his first section of thirty acres where his homestead now stands, and has gradually increased his holding to over 1000 acres of freehold and leasehold lands, on which he carries on mixed farming, his stock being composed of Merinoes and Border-Leicester crosses. Mr. Barwell gave proof of his abilities as a public man at a very early age, when he was elected a member of the first London Trades Council, a position he resigned when leaving for the colony. He was one of the early settlers who built the first school at Loburn at their own expense, and he took an active part in getting the bridge constructed over the Ashley river. He has served as a member of the Ashley Road Board, and also on the school and library committees. Mr. Barwell was married, in 1858, to Miss Moore, and has four sons and three daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. G. Barwell.
Mount Thomas Estate, Loburn. The estate was originally part of a run of 22,000 acres taken up by Mr. C. O. Torlesse, from whom it was bought in 1851 by the late Mr J. T. Brown. At first it was used chiefly as a cattle run, but was subsequently stocked with Merino sheep. In 1890 the lease of the Crown land on the property expired, but the trustees were contented with the freehold, which amounted to about 6000 acres, and carried a good flock of pure Leicester and crossbred sheep, bred from a stud of English Leicesters established in 1883. The residence at “Mount Thomas” is pleasantly situated on a knoll surrounded on three sides by a clear running stream, and sheltered from the prevailing winds by forty acres of plantation, stocked with well-selected trees, including oaks, birches, elms, ash and fourteen different varieties of pines; and there is a lake in front, with white swans upon it.
Mr. J. T. Brown was a keen sportsman, and, in conjunction with Mr. Hill, he im ported the trotting horse “Prickwillow. He also liberated the first trout in the Okuku in November, 1875, and a few years later he took charge of and liberated the Prairie hens imported from America. Mr. Brown was appointed to the Commission of the Peace early in the fifties, and took an active part in public affairs.
Mr. Herbert Brown, younger son of Mr. J. T. Brown, was born at “Mount Thomas” in 1860, and educated at Christ's College. He was afterwards engaged in commercial pursuits, and was appointed manager of the estate in 1886. Mr. Brown was married in 1891.
Carr, James I., Farmer, Loburn. Mr. Carr was born, in 1868, in Perthshire, Scotland, and was brought up to farming. After managing his father's farm for five years he spent a short time in Australia, and came to Lyttelton in 1890. He went to the North Island and worked for six years on Mr. G. P. Donnelly's sheep station in Hawke's Bay. On returning to Canterbury he acquired a sheep and agricultural farm of 150 acres freehold and forty acres leasehold. Mr. Carr was for five years a member of the Loburn school committee, and is also a member of the Domain Board. He was married, in 1890, to a daughter of the late Mr. Robert Millar, farmer, “Flowerdale,” Perthshire, Scotland, and has four daughters and one son.
Mr. and Mrs J. I. Carr.
Carmichael, Alfred John, Farmer, “Arthurstone,” Loburn. Mr. Carmichael was born in 1860 in Dundee, Scotland, where he was educated and commenced to serve his time as an architect. In 1880 he came to New Zealand, via Sydney, and completed his qualifications as an architect in Dunedin. He afterwards settled in Rangiora, where he practised his profession for three years, and then went to reside at Loburn in 1888. Subsequently, for three years, he was farming in the North Island, and then returned to Loburn. Mr. Carmichael's property consists page 522 of 141 acres. He also owns 150 acres on the Ashley Flat, and 372 acres near Pahiatua, in the North Island, and both these farms are leased to tenants. Mr. Carmichael is a member of the Loburn Domain Board, and served as a volunteer for three years in the Rangiora Rifles. He was married to a daughter of the Rev. R. Tout, a retired Presbyterian minister, formerly of Sefton, but now farming at April, and has one son.
Carmichael, Harry Somerville, Farmer, “Home Creek,” Loburn. Mr Carmichael was born at Dundee, Scotland, in 1859, and was brought up to a country life. For seventeen months before landing in New Zealand in 1881, he was in Queensland. Mr. Carmichael settled in the Cust district, and has for many years been engaged in farming in several localities, including Loburn. Since 1900 he has been a member of the Ashley Road Board, and was a member of the Domain Board, and of the local school committee. He holds a seat on the local library committee. Mr. Carmichael is a member of the Northern Agricultural and Pastoral Association. He was married, in 1890, to a daughter of Mr. J. McHargh, of Woolston, and has two daughters.
Dobson, John, Farmer, “Shanter Grove,” Loburn. Mr. Dobson was born in Lancashire, England, in 1839, and was employed in connection with railway construction till leaving England in 1865, when he came out to Lyttelton in the ship “Mermaid.” Soon after his arrival he became a teacher, and was placed in charge at the Cust, where he continued for eleven years. He afterwards acted for a similar period as clerk and surveyor to the Oxford Road Board. Mr. Dobson then settled in Rangiora, where he was in business on his own account as an auctioneer for another period of eleven years. He has latterly farmed his property, which is 500 acres in extent, at Loburn. As a public man Mr. Dobson has been chairman and member of the Oxford Road Board, chairman of the Ashley Road Board, and member and chairman of the Christchurch Hospital and Charitable Aid Board. He was credited with being first to advocate the Waimakariri-Ashley water supply scheme, and was for some years chairman of the river board. Mr. Dobson has been thrice married; firstly, to the daughter of the late Captain Pringle, of Southport, who died in 1867, leaving two daughters, one of whom has since died; secondly, in 1870, to a daughter of the late Mr. T. H. Faber, of Stockton-on-Tees, who died in 1885, leaving three sons; and, thirdly, in May, 1898, to a daughter of the late? Mr. P. Walsh, of Loburn. Of this union one daughter has been born.
White, Tom, Farmer, North Loburn. This settler was born at Borton, Warwickshire, in 1841. Mr. White is largely self-educated, having attended an evening school for only a short time. Coming out to the Colony in 1874 in the ship “Crusader,” he settled at Rangiora, and after three years removed to the district where he now resides. His first land purchase was fifty acres, which has been increased to 150 acres, on which he raises grain and green crops, and fattens stock. Mr. White has identified himself with the advance of the district. He made his first appearance in public during his stay at Rangiora, when his eloquence so moved the audience that he was carried shoulder high at the conclusion of the meeting. Mr. White has served on the school committee for many years, during several of which he has been chairman, and has always taken great interest in the public library. He has acted as chairman at almost every public and political meeting held at North Loburn for the past twenty-five years. Mr. White was married, in 1866, to Miss Reynolds, and has five sons and one daughter, who is married.
Mr. C. More.