The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Carleton is an agricultural and pastoral district, about four miles from Oxford. Its flag railway station is thirty-seven miles from Christchurch, and stands at an altitude of 623 feet above the level of the sea, on the Oxford-Bennett's line. A public school, not far from the railway station, serves the district, and also Bennett's. Carleton is situated in the Oxford riding of the county of Ashley, and at the census of 1901 had a population of fifty-four souls.
The Public School at Carleton contains two class rooms and two porches. There is accommodation for ninety children; there are forty-seven on the roll, and the average attendance is forty-one. A plantamon of well grown pines surrounds the school and the teacher's residence. Miss Janet Dick is at present (1902) the mistress in charge.
Jeffs, Ephraim, Farmer, “Broadfield,” Carleton. Mr. Jeffs was born at Hillsden, Buckinghamshire, England, in 1828. When nineteen years of age he entered the British Navy, and served on the frigate “Camberine” on the East Indian and Chinese stations for four years. Afterwards he was employed in the merchant service on vessels trading between England and Australia, via India, China, and Callao. Mr. Jeffs was altogether some nineteen years at sea, and occupied the position of mate for about three years. In 1858 he landed from his vessel at New Plymouth, whence he carried his blankets and travelled on foot to Wanganui and Wellington. Thence, without loss of time, he came on to Canterbury, and joined his brother, the late Mr. Charles Jeffs, who came out in the ship “Charlotte Jane,” in 1850, and died in 1902. Mr. E. Jeffs was for some time settled in Opawa, where the present railway bridge now stands. He then removed to Kaiapoi Island, where he worked a farm for about four years, but left the district on account of floods. In 1864 Mr. Jeffs settled at Flaxton, where he was for about nine years. He removed, in 1873, to Carleton, and had a farm for about seven years near Bennett's Junction. Having sold this property, he bought “Broadfield,” an estate of 774 acres of freehold land, and has resided there since 1888. During his experience Mr. Jeffs has started five farms, and erected five homesteads. He was married, in 1860, to a daughter of the late Mr. Isaac King, of Stoke, Suffolk. Mrs Jeffs came out to Lyttelton in the ship “Roman Emperor.”
Tolputt and Clarke, photo.
Mr. E. Jeffs.
Skurr, John, Farmer, “Beck Bank,” Carleton. Mr. Skurr was born in Cumberland, England, in 1836, and there gained some experience in agricultural and pastoral pursuits. He came to Lyttelton in 1866 by the ship “Victory.” After farming for seven years in the Cust district he purchased the first portion of his estate known as “Beck Bank,” which he has since increased to 700 acres of freehold. Mr. Skurr has served on the local school committee, and was for some time a member of the Oxford Road Board. He joined the Order of Oddfellows in England, and has been connected with the Nil Desperandum Lodge, East Oxford, and he is also a member of the Northern Agricultural and Pastoral Society. In 1865 Mr. Skurr married a daughter of the late Mr. J. Watson, of Cumberland, and has three sons and two daughters surviving.
Thompson, Charles Abel, Sheep-farmer, Carleton. Mr. Thompson was born in London in 1847, came out to Adelaide in 1860, arrived at Wanganui five years later, and settled in Canterbury in 1866. After three years as a storekeeper at Saltwater Creek, Mr. Thompson removed to Oxford, and established a store, which he conducted for twenty years. Since 1889 he has been engaged in sheep-farming at Carleton, where he has about 1600 acres of land. Mr. Thompson was married, in 1868, to Miss Lough, of London, and has six sons and three daughters.
Thompson, Percy, Farmer, Carleton. Mr. Thompson farms 373 actes, of which sixty acres are freehold. He was born at Saltwater Creek, in 1869, and went with his father to the Oxford district when he was two years of age, and was brought up to business in his father's store. However, on attaining the age of sixteen he turned his attention to farming, which he began on his own account in 1893. He has been a member of the Oxford Road Board since 1900. He is attached to the Nil Desperandum Lodge of Oddfellows at East Oxford, and has passed the Vice-Grand's chair. Mr. Thompson was married, in October, 1893. to a daughter of Mr. T. Hunter, storekeeper, of Oxford, and has three sons and one daughter.
Cross, Joseph, Farmer, Carleton. Mr. Cross was born at Lambeth, Surrey, England, in 1846, and arrived in Lyttelton by the ship “Zealandia,” in 1859. Mr. Cross was settled on the Ferry Road, Christchurch, for three years, and was afterwards for a number of years in the Rangiora district. He has recently settled on his farm, known as “Leaside,' at Carleton. Mr. Cross was married, in 1870, to the daughter of Mr. T. Pring, and has five daughters and five sons.
Mr. Diedrich Dohrmann, sometime of Oak Lea Farm, Carleton, was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1830. Before leaving his native country, Mr. Dohrmann farmed for a time, on his own account, and was also the driver of a mail coach. He came to Lyttelton, in 1859, by the ship “Regina,” and resided for about five years at Colombo Road, Sydenham, near the Port Hills. In 1864 Mr. Dohrmann removed to the Oxford district, and engaged in carting and carrying, and was farming for about thirteen years. In April. 1875, he acquired Oak Lea Farm, which is 315 acres in extent, and on which he resided up to the time of his death. For some time Mr. Dohrmann was a member of the Carleton school committee, and was a churchwarden of St. Andrew's Church, Oxford, for many years. He was married, in 1857, to a daughter of the late Mr. Johann Kriete, Hanover, and left eight daughters and two sons. Mrs Dohrmann survives her husband, and there are thirteen grandchildren. Mr. Dohrmann's death was due to injuries he sustained through the breaking of the back chain of a dray. It occurred in March, 1901.
The late Mr. D. Dohrmann.