The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Kaiapoi has claims to consideration on account of both its past and present associations. Its past is interestingly described by the Rev. Canon Stack in “Kaiapohia: The Story of a Siege,” in which he speaks of its settlement by successive Maori tribes in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, the building of its historic pa by Tu Rahautahi about the year 1700, and its siege and eapture by Te Rauparaha in 1831. Kaiapoi as a modern town, dates from 1853, when its site was surveyed, and its first building, which was a wattle and daub cottage, was put up in 1855. It is now a flourishing borough, with a large woollen factory —described fully in another part of this volume—and other industries. The business people trade with Wellington and the coastal settlements by means of schooners, which take away produce and bring coal and timber, and other cargo. A branch of the Bank of New Zealand does business in the town, which has a post, telegraph and money order office, and a Government Savings Bank. Kaiapoi is built on the Waimakariri river, and is fourteen miles north from Christchurch by rail. The old coaching road from Christchurch runs through the centre of the town, where it crosses a handsome traffic bridge, which spans the northern branch of the Waimakariri. Kaiapoi stands only seven feet above the level of the sea, and is liable to floods, but the danger from this cause has been largely reduced by the construction of the extensive protective embankments which completely surround the town. The town is about three miles from the sea beach, where there are favourite spots for holidaymakers, and the walk thither is a pleasant one. Within the boundaries of the borough there are some very fine public recreation grounds, such as the park, the domain, and Darnley square. The park, which is twenty acres in extent, fronts the beach road, and has a bicycle track, hockey and football grounds, and asphalted tennis courts. In the domain, which is opposite the Woollen Factory in Ranfurly Street, there are gardens and ornamental ponds, with swans and other water fowls. The domain has an area of fifteen acres, and is planted with fine trees, amongst which there are winding paths. In Darnley square—the gift of Mr J. S. White, of Ohoka—there is a memorial which was erected by public subscription in 1901 to commemorate the reign of Queen Victoria. The square is a common rendezvous, especially in times when the public heart is reached by some event of a joyous or sorrowful nature. At the census taken in April, 1901, the population of Kaiapoi was 1795, which showed a decrease of thirty-three as compared with the census of 1896. Camside and other places close to Kaiapoi, however, have amongst them a population of 244, and thus the total may fairly be set down at 2039.
Mr. David Buddo, Member of the House of Representatives for Kaiapoi, resides and carries on farming in the neighbourhood of Rangiora. He was born in Edinburgh, was educated at a public school and a private grammar school, and took to engineering as a profession. Coming to New Zealand at the age of twenty-one, he settled at Ellesmere, where he was very successful at farming. He made a trip to the Old Country, Europe, and America, and on his return purchased the property on which he now resides. Mr. Buddo was returned for Kaiapoi at the general elections in 1893, defeating Mr. Moore by a majority of eighty-seven. Mr. Moore defeated him at the election of 1896, but at that of 1899 he polled 2,186 votes to Mr. Moore's 1,705. At the election of November, 1902, Mr. Buddo received 2,534 votes; his opponent, Mr. Hassall, 1302. He is a well-known public man, being a member of the Mandeville-Rangiora Road Board, North Canterbury Board of Education, Lyttelton Harbour Board, and a director of the Farmers' Association. Mr. Buddo is a keen farmer and well known in the show-yard as an exhibitor of draught horses and Border-Leicester sheep. The Waimakariri and Ashley Water Supply districts are much indebted to his efforts in advancing legislation to extricate them from legal difficulties.
Mr. Richard Moore, J.P., formerly Member of the House of Representatives for Kaiapoi, first contested the seat with the Hon. E. Richardson, but was defeated by a small majority. At the next election he opposed Mr. Hoban, of Christchurch, and was returned with a majority of 389. In 1893, Mr. Moore was defeated by Mr. Buddo, but at the election of 1896 he turned the tables on that gentleman and regained h:s seat by a majority of 270. However, at the election of 1899, Mr. Buddo polled 2,186 votes to Mr. Moore's 1,705. During Mr. Moore's first session in parliament the “Waimakarirl Harbour Board Investment Bill” was passed, mainly through his vigilance and persuasive eloquence. He was born in London in 1849, and came out to the Colony with his parents per ship “Steadfast,” when quite young. He has resided almost continuously in the district for thirty-six years. He first entered into business on his own account when nineteen years of age, continuing for fifteen years, after which he joined the firm of the Kaiapoi Produce and Milling Company. This firm being dissolved by mutual consent in 1893, he with Mr. J. Harold Evans, took over the grain business in Kaiapol, which was connected with the old firm, and they now carry it on under the style of the Kaiapoi Produce Company. Mr. Moore was chairman of the Waimakariri Harbour Board for a number of years, chairman of the Domain Board for eight years, member of the Licensing Committee for one year, and chairman of the School Committee from the year 1885. For the past fourteen years, he has been chairman of the local building society, and was elected one of the first members of the Charitable Aid Board. Mr. Moore was Mayor of Kaiapoi from 1884 to 1888, and had previously sat as a councillor for eight years. During his term of office as mayor, the large iron bridge over the river at Kaiapoi was constructed under his direction.
Mr. R. Moore.
The Borough Of Kaiapoi covers an area of 1020 acres. It has 335 ratepayers, who own 627 ratable properties of a total annual value of £10,324. At the census of April, 1901, the population was 1795 and there are 410 dwellings in the borough. A rate of Is 3d in the £ produces a revenue of £645, and the council has a reserve of 400 acres at Ashburton, which yields £425 a year. The license fees produce £160, and dog and other taxes, £50 a year. The borough was originally a portion of the Mandeville and Rangiora road district, from which it was taken, when constituted in 1864. A sum of £2,000 has been borrowed under the Government Loans to Local Bodies Act, and £2913 has been raised on debentures. These loans were specially obtained for the construction of em bankment to prevent flooding in the borough, and for a main bridge for the central branch of the Waimakariri river. Twelve miles of these embankments have been constructed, and have been effective in preventing damage from floods which formerly did much harm in the district. The borough is lighted by fifty kerosene lamps. The roads appear to be well formed and maintained, and there are asphalt foot-paths with concrete kerbing and channelling, throughout the borough. The Council Chambers, in stone and brick, were built in 1888, and comprise a council chamber, with offices for the Mayor and the Town Clerk. The building is centrally situated in High Street, and was erected at a cost of £700. There is a volunteer fire brigade of forty-eight members, and a station with a bell-tower was erected in 1872. The brigade has a fairly good plant, and a number of concrete fire-sumps are located in various parts of the borough. Members for 1902-Mr. J. Daly, Mayor, and Messrs T. E. Keetley, W. E. Parnham, A. Pearce, W. Midgley, W. Eagle, J. Bugg, W. H. Hayman, J. H. Blackwell, and A. Winterbourn, Councillors. Mr E. E. Papprill is borough solicitor, Mr C. H. Wright, town clerk, Mr. J. Hayman, superintendent of the fire brigade, and Mr. H. Gough, engineer.
His Worship The Mayor, Mr. John Daly, who was returned for a second term in April, 1902, was born in County Monaghan, Ireland. In 1880 he came out to Nelson by the ship “Edwin Fox,” but removed to Kaiapoi in 1884.
Councillor Joseph Henry Blackwell has served on the Kaiapoi Borough Council since 1899. He was born in Kaiapoi in 1871, educated locally and at the Boys' High School, Christchurch, and brought up to mercantile life in connection with his father's business. Mr. Blackwell has been prominent in temperance and church work, and has also taken an interest in cricket and football in the district. He was married, in 1895, to a daughter of Mr. J. Leithead, late manager of the Kaiapoi woollen mill, and has one son and one daughter.
Tolputt and Clarke, photo
Councillor and Mrs J. Bugg.
Councillor William Eagle, who has held a seat on the Kaiapoi Borough Council since 1897, was born in the town of Hillsborough, Norfolk, England, in 1844. He came to Lyttelton by the ship “Waipa,” in 1876, and shortly afterwards settled at Kaiapoi. Being a handy man, he found work in connection with the local road boards, or on farms and in connection with agricultural machinery, till 1899, when he commenced business as a builder and contractor on his own account. Mr. Eagle resides on the Cam road, where he has a comfortable homestead. He has been connected with the Loyal Kaiapoi Lodge of Oddfellows since 1867. In 1869 he was married to a daughter of Mr. J. Nickles, of Cockley, Clye, England. Mrs Eagle died in 1888, leaving one son and three daughters.
Councillor W. Eagle.
Councillor William Henry Hayman has held a seat on the Kaiapoi Borough Council since 1897. He was born at Lyttelton in 1852, and removed with his parents to Kaiapoi at the age of ten years. Mr. Hayman was educated and brought up to country life in the district, and has been in business on his own account since about 1871. He has conducted business as a grocer since 1892, and his premises are situated in Cookson Street. As a Forester, he is attached to Court Woodford, Kaiapoi, of which he was secretary for a number of years. Mr. Hayman served in the Kaiapoi Rifles for three years. He was married, on the 19th of May, 1874, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Corrick, of Christchurch. Mrs Hayman died on the 7th of November, 1901, leaving six daughters and one son.
Councillor W. H. Hayman.
Councillor Tom Edward Keetley, who has been a Member of the Kaiapoi Borough Council since early in 1901, was born in 1856, in Derbyshire, England. In 1858 he came with his parents to Lyttelton, by the ship “Mystery.” The family settled at Kaiapoi, where the subject of this notice went to school, and afterwards learned his trade as a blacksmith. He has carried on business on his own account since 1880 at the corner of Piraki and Fuller Streets, where he has about three-quarters of an acre, on part of which stands his smithy. Mr. Keetley has been a member of the Waimakariri Harbour Board since 1900. For four years he served as a member of the Kaiapoi Fire Brigade, and has been for many years connected with the local school committee, the chairmanship of which he held for seven years. He was married, in 1878, to a daughter of the late Mr. T. Milne, of Christchurch, and has six sons and six daughters.
Tolputt and Clarke, photo.
Councillor T. E. Keetley.
Councillor William Midgley has been a Member of the Borough Council of Kaiapoi since 1900. He was born in Brandford, England, in 1863, brought up to the drapery trade in his native town, and came to Christchurch in 1880. Mr. Midgley was for some time in the Cust and Sefton districts, and began business as a draper on his own account in Kaiapoi in 1887.
Councillor Walter Edwin Parnham, who has been a Member of the Kaiapoi Borough Council since 1898, was born in the district in 1864. He was brought up as a outcher and a farmer, and has been a member of the firm of Parnham Bros., butchers, since 1890. Mr. Parnham has been a member of the Waimakariri Harbour Board since 1892, and was for one year its chairman. He served for two years on the Kaiapoi school committee, and has been a member of the local fire brigade since 1888. Mr. Parnham belongs to the Methodist body, and has held office as a trustee and circuit steward. He was married, in 1890, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Johnson, of Durham, England, and has two sons and two daughters.
Councillor Alfred Winterbourn, who has held a seat on the Kaiapoi Borough Council since 1900, and has served a year on the Waimakariri Harbour Board, was born at Kaiapoi in 1863. After attending the local school he was apprenticed as a carpenter and builder, and has since then been employed at his trade. Mr. Winterbourn served as a volunteer for eleven years, and held the rank of sergeant on his retirement in 1897. He was six years on the Fire Brigade. Mr. Winterbourn has been a prominent member of the Cure Boating Club, and after eleven years of active work, retired as a life member. As a Forester he was for five years a member of Court Woodford, Kaiapoi. Mr. Winterbourn was married, in 1887, to a daughter of Mr. George Wilmot, of Kaiapoi, retired schoolmaster, and has three sons.
Waimakariri Harbour Board. This body has the control of the navigation of the Waimakariri river, which affords water communication for coasting vessels to the manufacturing and export town of Kaiapoi. The depth of water is 10 feet at high and 6 feet at low tide, and vessels of 7 feet draught can enter the harbour. The district, which was constituted in 1876, embraces an area with a radius of one mile and a half from the old Trig Pole No. 4, extending from the sea up the river to the Cam bridge, and by both branches of the Waimakariri river to the railway traffic bridges. The Board has a reserve of about sixteen acres, from which it derives a revenue of £270 per annum. There are no port charges, and free wharfage is provided at the Kaiapoi wharf. Members of the Board for 1902: Mr. W. Doubleday, chairman, and Messrs W. E. Parnham, J. Wright, G. C. Clothier, B. L. Lissaman, T. E. Keetley, R. H. Mathews, L. Edmonds, and the Mayor of Kaiapoi, ex-officio. Officers: Mr. E. Revell, secretary and treasurer, and Mr. G. Wright, signalman.
Mr. William Doubleday, who has been Chairman of the Waimakariri Harbour Board since 1899, was born in Norwich, England, in 1854. He was brought up as an engineer, and served an apprenticeship with the well known firm of Fowler, of Leeds. In 1879 he came to Lyttelton by the ship “Hurunui” and settled at Kaiapoi. Mr. Doubleday became proprietor of a inreshing machine, which he has since worked, and has also a farm of 250 acres, on the Avon side of the, south branch of the Waimakariri. He has been a councillor of the borough of Kaiapoi for about ten years, and Mayor for three years, and has held a seat on the Waimakariri Harbour Board since 1892. Mr. Doubleday was married, in 1882, to a daughter of Mr. J. Merrin, of Kaiapoi, and has three sons and three daughters.
Mr. W. Doubleday.
Mr. E. Revell, Secretary and Treasurer of the Waimakariri Harbour Board, was born in County Wicklow, Ireland, in 1833. He arrived in New Zealand by the ship “Minerva” in 1853, and has resided since that time in the Kaiapoi district. For many years he was farming or engaged in mercantile life before he was appointed to his present position in 1883. Mr. Revell was one of the first volunteers in the district, as he joined the local corps in 1859, and served seven years. He was married, in 1868, to a daughter of the late Mr. F. Tipping, of Ashley Bank, and has one son and two daughters.
The Kaiapoi Post And Telegraph Office was established in the very early days of settlement in North Canterbury. The building is of wood and iron, and is situated in Charles Street. It contains a public office, the postmaster's room, and operating and sorting room combined, and a private box lobby with twenty-four boxes. There is telephonic communication with Woodend, and there is a bureau connecting with the Christchurch exchange. Several mails are received and despatched daily. The staff consists of the postmaster, two letter carriers, and a messenger.
Mr. Thomas Samuel Hester, Postmaster, Telegraphist, and Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages at Kaiapoi, was born in London, in 1853. He came with his parents to Lyttelton by the ship “Sir Edward Paget,” in 1856, was educated at the Scotch School, Lyttelton, and entered the telegraph department at the age of thirteen. Mr. Hester was stationed for nearly six years at Lyttelton, and for three years at Napier, whence he was transferred to Kopua, Hawke's Bay, where he was stationmaster and postmaster for five years, and was subsequently for a similar time in charge of the Wairoa post office in Hawke's Bay. In 1889 Mr. Hester was transferred to Cambridge, in the Waikato, where he remained till taking up his duties at Kaiapoi in 1895. He was married, in 1877, to a daughter of the late Mr. John Monk, of Dublin, and has one son and two daughters Mr. Hester's son is in the Postal Department in South Africa.
The Railway Station at Kaiapoi is a wood and iron building of the usual type, and contains a public office, station-master's office, and a ladies' waiting-room. There are extensive wood and asphalt platforms, and a very large goods shed, 150 feet by 42 feet. There is also an engine-shed, and cart and waggon weighbridges. The station is on the North Canterbury line, at the junction of the Eyreton-Bennett's branch. About eight trains pass through the station daily, and large quantities of grain are carried in the season. The staff includes the stationmaster, a clerk, storeman, shunter, and signalman.
Mr. Herbert Meadowcroft, Station-master at Kaiapoi, was born in Rochdale, Lancashire, England, in 1854. He was educated at a boarding-school in Cheshire, and before coming to the colony had a thorough grounding in railway work in connection with the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, on which he served for eight years. In 1876 be arrived in Lyttelton by the ship “Crusader,” and was for about eighteen months on the Otago goldfields. Mr. Meadowcroft joined the railway department at Christchurch as goods clerk, in 1879, and served for eleven years in the same department. He was appointed stationmaster at Kaiapoi in 1891. In 1881 Mr. Meadowcroft was married to a daughter of the late Mr. B. Gahagan, Christchurch. This lady died in 1897, leaving two daughters and one son. Mr. Meadowcroft married a daughter of Mr. J. Sims, of Kaiapoi, in 1899, and has one son by this union.
Kaiapoi Borough School, Hilton Street, Kaiapoi; Robert James Alexander, headmaster; Michael Lynskey, first assistant; Thomas Hills, second assistant; Miss Menzies, infant-mistress; Misses Blackwell and Smith, assistants. There are four pupilteachers. The number of pupils on the roll exceeds 480, with an average attendance of 430.
Mr. Robert James Alexander, Headmaster of the Kaiapoi Borough School, was born at Saxmundham, Suffolk, England, in 1844. He is the eldest son of Mr. R. Alexander, carriage-builder of that town. At an early age the subject of this notice became a pupil-teacher in the national school in his native town, where, after serving five years, he won the Queen's scholarship which entitled him to free board, residence, and tuition for two years in the Metropolitan Training Institute, Highbury Park, London. Mr. Alexander left London in 1864 to take charge of the boys' department of the national school at Aldeburgh, Suffolk. In August, 1871, he emigrated to Queensland, where he arrived in the following December: page 426 and in February following he received the appointment of headmaster of the Roma school, situated 300 miles due west of Brisbane. When he took up his duties the average attendance was eighty, and when leaving after six years' service, the attendance had increased to 180. His next post was the headmastership of the Kangaroo Point boys' school, where he remained nine months. Finding the climate too sultry for his family, he came to Port Chalmers in April, 1879, and in the following May his application for the headmastership of the Kaiapoi school was favourably considered. Since his appointment, the average attendance has been steadily mounting upwards. Mr. Alexander is a member of the Canterbury Educational Institute, and takes a lively interest in all matters pertaining to the welfare of the school and the advancement of the boys in his charge. He is the vicepresident of the Kaiapoi Football Club. For ten years he was captain of the cadet corps, which consists of past and present boys of the school, but finding his duties too pressing, he was compelled to resign his post. During the time he was in command of the corps, about 200 lads passed through the ranks, and recruited the senior company. He holds a captain's certificate in the New Zealand Volunteers. Mr. Alexander was married in 1871 to Miss Kate Hunt, daughter of Mr. William Hunt, of Aldeburgh, Suffolk, England.
Mr. R. J. Alexander.
St. Bartholomew's Anglican Church is stationed in Sewell Street, Kaiapoi. It was built in the early sixties, and has accommodation for 250 adults. The vicarage, which stands in the property, two acres in extent, was built in 1877.
The Rev. John Holland, Vicar of St. Bartholomew's, was born in Lancashire. England, and was educated at St. Augustine's College, Canterbury, Kent. He was ordained deacon in 1877, and priest in the following year, and became a missionary; as such he was stationed at Sarawak, North Borneo, for two years and a half, and at Singapore for a similar period. In 1881 Mr. Holland came to New Zealand, and was stationed at Kumara for nearly three years. He was subsequently for about five years chaplain to the public institutions in Christchurch. After being nine years at Rakaia, he became vicar at Kaiapoi in 1900.
St. Paul's Presbyterian Church, at Kaiapoi, dates back to 1860, when the original church and Sunday school were built in Sewell Street. This old property was sold and is now used as an Orange Hall. In 1863 Kaiapoi became a definite charge, and page 427 the manse was built two years later at a cost of £400. After the old church was sold, the present building was erected in 1874. The church is of wood and iron, and has accommodation for 200 adults. The Sunday school is conducted in the building, and is attended by a hundred scholars in charge of thirteen teachers. In 1880 Rangiora was disjoined from Kaiapoi, and then became a separate charge.
The Rev. William Ritchie, M.A., Minister in charge of St. Paul's Presbyterian Church, was born in Perthshire, Scotland. He studied at the Glasgow University, and graduated M.A. in 1881. In 1888 Mr. Ritchie was inducted to a charge in Stirlingshire, and ten years later, came to Wellington, New Zealand. He was stationed for two years and a half at Carterton, and received a call to Kaiapoi, into which he was inducted on the 9th of May, 1901. Mr. Ritchie was married, in 1888, to the eldest daughter of ex-Provost Hugh Duncan, of Dunoon, Argyleshire, Scotland.
The Roman Catholic Church, Kaiapoi, is situated in Piraki Street. It is a neat building of wood and shingle, with accommodation for 250 adults, and was erected in 1882 at a cost of £1,100, including the land, which is three acres in extent. The district is under the charge of the parish priest at Rangiora.
The Wesleyan Methodist Church, at Kaiapoi, occupies a position at the corner of Fuller and Piraki Streets, and was erected in 1870 at a cost of £670. Seven years later the building was enlarged and £330 was spent on the additions. In 1879 an organ was added at a cost of £200, and a further enlargement of the church, in 1887, cost £130. Kaiapoi became a separate circuit in 1868, prior to which Christchurch had been the centre. There is about half an acre of land attached to the church premises. Adjoining the church there is a commodious parsonage, the first portion of which was built in 1868, and which was enlarged in 1875 and 1896. The church owns a fine Sunday school in Fuller Street, built in 1883, at a cost of £800. All these buildings are of wood and iron. The Sunday school in Kaiapoi has 267 children on the roll, and about twenty-two teachers. The minister in charge of the Kaiapoi circuit holds services at Clarkville, Ohoka, Swannanoa, Eyreton, Belfast and Marshlands, where there are separate churches, and also at Coutts's Island, where services are conducted in the public school.
The Rev. John Dukes, Minister in charge of the Kaiapoi circuit, was born at Rugeley, Staffordshire, England, in 1845. He was educated at the National School, but was apprenticed to the drapery trade, when he was twelve years of age, and was employed in connection with that trade for about twenty-two years. He began to preach in 1866, and after thirteen years' experience he became a candidate for the ministry, was recommended for the colonial work, came to New Zealand, was accepted by the Conference of 1880, and appointed to Masterton, where he resided two years. Mr. Dukes was three years at Hamilton in the Waikato. He was ordained at Wellington, in 1884, and after another year at Hamilton, was stationed at Whangarei in 1885. He was then removed to North Shore, Auckland, and in 1891 he returned to Masterton, where he remained for five years. He was afterwards for three years at Waimate, in Canterbury, and for three years at Hawera, whence he was appointed to Kaiapoi in 1902. Mr. Dukes was married in 1873, to the daughter of Mr. J. Scott, of Armitage, Rugeley, and has one daughter.
The Salvation Army has been represented in Kaiapoi since 1884. Its barracks in Hiiton Street, behind the Borough Council Chambers, were originally a grain store, and there are seats for about 500 people. Services are held three times each Sunday, and on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday during the week.
The Working Men's Club at Kaiapoi was established in 1885, and is situated in Raven Street on an acre of land. The building, which has been several times enlarged, has excellent accommodation for the members, who number about 400. Officers for 1902: Mr. J. Lynskey, president; Mr. E. Feldiwick, vice-president; and Mr R. H. Mathews, secretary. Trustees, Messrs E. Feldwick, Thomas Lush, and A. T. Clark.
Mr. Robert Drisoll, Manager of the Kaiapoi Working Men's Club, was born in 1869, at Worcester, England, and accompanied his parents to Lyttelton, in the ship “Punjaub,” in 1874. The family settled in Eyreton, where the subject of this notice was brought up to country life. He found employment for some years in contracting and road-making, and in 1893 became lessee of the Commercial Hotel, Kaikoura which he conducted for three years. Mr. Driscoll was appointed to his present position in January, 1898. He was connected with football for a number of years, as a member of the Kaikoura club, and represented the province in 1894, in matches against New South Wales and Taranaki. He was married, in 1894, to a daughter of Mr. D. Leech, of Sydenham, and has two sons and one daughter.
Blakeley, Reuben, Music Teacher, Cass Street, Kaiapoi. Mr. Blakeley was born at Batley, Yorkshire, in 1834, and is eldest son of the late Mr. Abraham Blakeley, of that town. He was at Mr. Benjamin Preston's school at Batley, and finished his education at the local grammar school under the tutorship of the late Dr. Joseph Senior, LL.D. In 1846 he entered the woollen works at Batley, and was employed there for about ten years, when he joined his father and assisted him in his business until he died in 1872, on which he assumed the sole management. He came to New Zealand in 1880, and resided at Timaru for a few months. He was always of a musical disposition; he was organist at the Batley Zion Chapel when seventeen years of age, and continued in that position till he left for this Colony. Mr. Blakeley was also a promoter of the Batley Choral Society, and was much gratified to find the progress music had made in New Zealand. He went to Kaiapoi in 1880 as organist at the Wesleyan church, which position he has filled for the past twenty years, being also vice-president of the Kaiapoi Musical Society. He was married to the daughter of Mr. John Blakeley, of Batley, in 1855, and has had ten children, of whom only four are living.
Mr. R. Blakeley.
Fowler, Peter James, Journalist, Kaiapoi. Mr. Fowler, who has acted as Correspondent and Agent of the “Lyttelton Times” since 1879, was born at Macclesfie'd, Cheshire, England, in 1850. He was educated at the local grammar school, and was brought up to mercantile life. In 1873 he landed in Lyttelton from the ship “Dilharree.” After spending about two years at Leeston and Southbridge successively, Mr. Fowler settled at Kaiapoi. He acts as correspondent for his paper for the borough of Kaiapoi, and for the districts of Woodend, Kaiapoi Island, and Eyreton, and also does general commission and agency business. Mr. Fowler is Past Grand Master of the Loyal Kaiapoi Lodge of Oddfellows. For some years he has served in the local fire brigade, and was for a short time captain of the fire police. Mr. Fowler was married, in 1871, to the daughter of the late Mr. M. Athey, brewer, of Maccles-field, and has four sons and three daughters.
Wilson, Joseph Lowthian, Journalist, Kaiapoi. Mr. Wilson was born in 1846, in Penrith, Cumberland, and was educated at the Wesleyan day school, and Blancoe grammar school. As a lad he was put to the drapery trade, and served a portion of his apprenticeship. He arrived in Lyttelton by the ship “Chariot of Fame” on the 29th of January, 1863, and settled at Kaiapoi, where he turned his attention to journalism, and was appointed representative of the Christchurch “Press,” on the 13th of August, 1863. Since that time he has had ample opportunities for watching the rise and progress of the district. Mr. Wilson has been careful to file copies of all the papers published in Canterbury since he became interested in the “Press.” He was the first letter carrier in Kaiapoi, and held that position from 1866 to 1873. Mr. Wilson has been manager of the Kaiapoi page 428 Building Society since 1870, and has taken a prominent part in connection with most efforts for the well-being of the district, and was for a time secretary of the local Regatta and Sports Committee, chairman of the Domain Board, and president of the Kaiapoi Institute. He became a member of the borough council in 1878, was again returned in 1883 and 1885, and was Mayor in 1898. He served for a number of years on the local school committee, and was one of the founders and directors of the Rangiora Building Society, which was established in 1881. He also became one of the first Governors of the Rangiora High School. In 1883 he was returned as a member of three licensing committees, namely Mandeville, Eyreton and Kaiapoi. In 1884 he was secretary of the Kaiapoi Farmers' Club, and in the same year became chairman of the Waimakariri Harbour Board. He was gazetted a Justice of the Peace in March, 1899, and held the position until his resignation in 1901. Mr. Wilson served as a lieutenant in the Kaiapoi Rifles from April 1885 to 1891, when he became captain, and resigned two years later. He assisted, with others, in the establishment of the Kaiapoi Woollen Mills. Of the local domain board he was chairman for nine years, during which the reserve was planted with trees. Mr. Wilson has represented the South British Insurance Company at Kaiapoi since 1874. His services have frequently been required by the Government. Mr. Wilson was married, in 1876, to the daughter of Mr. J. Matthews, one of the first Church of England school teachers in Kaiapoi, and has one son and two daughters.
The Kaiapoi Magistrate's Court has been in the district since about 1861. The present building is situated in Cookson Street, and was erected in 1891. It is of brick, and contains, besides the court-room, a room for the clerk and the magistrate. Weekly sittings are held each Monday, by Mr. H. W. Bishop, Stipendiary Magistrate, who also holds courts periodically at Rangiora, Oxford, Amberley, Cheviot, Culverden, Little River, Akaroa, and Darfield.
Mr. Michael Lynskey, Clerk of the Magistrate's Court, Registrar of Electors at Kaiapoi, Returning Officer, and Deputy Registrar of Old Age Pensions, has been in the district over forty years. He was born in County Mayo, Ireland, in 1838, and came out to Lyttelton in the ship “Chrysolite,” in 1861. Entering the police force, he shortly afterwards became bailiff for North Canterbury, and subsequently succeeded to his present position. Mr. Lynskey was married, in 1858, to a daughter of Mr. W. Norman, of County Mayo, Ireland, and has six sons and five daughters.
The Kaiapoi Police Sub-District includes, in addition to the borough of Kaiapoi, Woodend, Waimakariri, Ohoka, Swannanoa, Eyreton, Clarkville, and extends as far as the river Styx, towards Christchurch. It was constituted about 1898. The officer in charge at Kaiapoi reports to the sergeant stationed at Rangiora. A mounted constable assists the constable in charge at Kaiapoi.
Constable Michael Joseph Wildermoth, who is in charge of the Kaiapoi Police Sub-district, was born in Christchurch, on the 28th of January, 1864. For some years he resided in Christchurch, Kaiapoi and Timaru respectively, and joined the police force in Wellington in 1892. Constable Wildermoth was stationed at Greymouth for four and a half years, at Reefton two years, and at Hokitika one year. He was subsequently stationed for three years and four months at Denniston, whence he was transferred to his present position at Kaiapoi, in April, 1902. Constable Wildermoth was married in August, 1888, to the daughter of Mr. Pye, of Geraldine, and has three sons and one daughter.
Papprill, Ernest Edward, Barrister and Solicitor, Hansen's Chambers, Charles Street, Kaiapoi. This gentleman was born in Christchurch in September, 1868, and was educated at St. Michael's School and the Boys' High School, Christchurch. He was articled to Mr. George Harper for five years, from March, 1886, and was admitted a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court in March, 1891. Mr. Papprill continued with the firm of Harper and Co. until November, 1892, when he went to Kaiapoi as locum tenens for Mr. Marshall Nalder, and was afterwards in partnership with him until May, 1896, since which he has practised on his own account.
Mr. E. E. Papprill.
Murray, James Adam Johnston. M.B. and C.M. (Edinburgh, 1883), Physician and Surgeon, Cookson Street, Kaiapoi. Dr. Murray has been praotising his profession in Kaiapoi since 1885.
Reynolds, Joseph, Chemist and Druggist, Cookson Street, Kaiapoi. This business was established by the proprietor in 1898. Mr. Reynolds was born in Queensland, and was educated at Rangiora, where he qualified for his profession. After gaining experience in Auckland and Napier, he commenced his present business.
Roll, James Capon, Pharmaceutical Chemist, High Street, Kaiapoi. This business was established in 1876. The shop has a central position, and a good general stock is maintained. Miss Roll is a pharmaceutical chemist and takes the active management of the business. Her father, who is the proprietor, is a founder of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, and was in business for a considerable number of years in London before arriving in Lyttelton by the ship “E. P. Bouverie” in 1874. After a short stay in Christchurch, Mr. Roll removed to Kaiapoi, where he shortly afterwards started business on his own account, and has carried it on continuously, though others have come and gone in the meantime.
Bank Of New Zealand. The premises of the Kaiapoi branch of the Bank of New Zealand were built in 1884. They are situated at the corner of Charles Street. The building is of handsome design, in brick, and two stories in height. A tacade in Oamaru stone gives a look of distinction to the building. Ample room is provided for the bank's public business, and there are commodious private quarters for the manager.