The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Mr. James Purvis Jameson
Mr. James Purvis Jameson, who was Mayor of the City of Christchurch in 1871, and a councillor for several years, was born in London on the 5th of April, 1824, and came to New Zealand in the ship “Sebastopol,” which arrived at Lyttelton in 1863. He always took a keen interest in local public matters, and was one of the first members of the Industrial Association of Canterbury, and the second president of that association. Mr. Jameson was a consistent supporter of local industries, and was one of the promoters of the original Kaiapoi Woollen Company. For many years he was a director of the Mutual Benefit Building Society, chairman of the Christchurch Public Cemetery Board, and of several other public bodies, He was well known in commercial circles, and was for some years in business as a merchant in Christchurch. Soon after his arrival in the colony he purchased a farm at Leeston. This property he subsequently sold, and took up another farm at Coalgate, where he resided during the latter part of his life and almost to the date of his death. Mr. Jameson was married, prior to leaving the Old Country, and at his death, on the 6th of September, 1896, he left a family of four sons and one daughter.