The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Mr. William Wilson
Mr. William Wilson, who was first Mayor of Christchurch, was born in 1819, and is the eldest son of Mr. William Wilson. of Stranraer, Scotland. He came to New Zealand in the very early days of Canterbury settlement, after having previously served an apprenticeship of seven years to Mr. J. Wilson, seedsman, of Kirkcudbrightshire. He was also in the service of several of the nobility, by which he gained a further knowledge of his business. He lauded in canterbury in 1850 by the ship “Mariner.” and at once started as a nurseryman and seedsman at the Bricks Farm, on the River Avon. Mr. Wilson took a very prominent part in politics, and was a well-known forcible speaker. In 1869, he was elected to the Canterbury Provincial Council, and sat for seven years. Subsequently in conjunction with others, he organised the movement for the incorporation of the city, and was elected chairman of the municipality, and later the first mayor of the city. In every movement inaugurated for the welfare of the city. Mr. Wilson has been one of the leading spirits. He was the chairman of the Christchurch Horticultural Society for many years. He erected the first Town Hall, a building now occupied by Messrs. Strange and Co., drapers. High Street. He was married in 1844 to Elizabeth, daughter of Mr. Williams.
Mr. W. Wilson.