The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Mr. Samuel Manning
Mr. Samuel Manning, who was Mayor of the City of Christchurch in 1890, and is an old and enterprising Colonist, was born in 1841 in Suffolk, England, and educated at the Public School in Needham Market, Suffolk. He accompanied his father to Lyttelton, per ship “Egmont,” which arrived at Christmas of 1856, among his fellow passengers being the late Bishop Harper and family. Until 1860 Mr. Manning was variously employed, and subsequently engaged with his father in the brewing business until 1864, and for nearly twenty-five years afterwards was connected with the trade in Christchurch. In 1865 he established the well-known firm of S. Manning and Co., which developed into a large and important concern. In 1882 the business was sold to a company, of which Mr. Manning became managing director, and filled that position until 1889. In the year 1866, he joined the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry as a trooper, and in time became corporal, sergeant, sergeant-major, and acting-lieutenant in the Cavalry Cadets. He resigned from the corps early in 1871. Mr. Manning was elected to the Heathcote Road Board in 1875, and served on that body for several years. In 1883, he and his family paid a visit to England, and shortly after his return he entered the Christchurch City Council as representative of South-cast Ward. During his mayoralty, the Richmond Ward was added to the city. He is now one of the City Sinking Fund Commissioners. Mr. Manning was connected with the Agricultural and Pastoral Society and with the Christchurch Chamber of Commerce for several years. He is chairman and a director of the Crown Iron Works Company, a director of the Mutual Benefit Building Society, and of the Provident and Industrial Assurance Society of New Zealand, and is also a member of the Christchurch Bowling Club. Mr. Manning was married in 1831, to a daughter of the late Mr. William Piper, of Christchurch. This lady died in December, 1894, leaving three sons and five daughters. In July, 1897, he married a daughter of the late Mr. William Healy, of Nelson.
Wrigglesworth and Bians, photo.
Mr. S. Manning.