The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Christchurch City And Suburban — Ex- Members of the House of Representatives
Christchurch City And Suburban
No province in the colony was ever better served by its best public men than Canterbury; and no city in New Zealand can claim a more distinguished line of parliamentary representatives than Christchurch. The first city member in the parliament of 1854 was Mr. Henry Sewell, who, in 1856, was Premier of the Bell-Sewell Ministry. Christchurch country district, including what would now be called the suburbs, returned Mr. E. J. Wakefield, whose career contained elements of both romance and tragedy. In 1856 Mr. Wakefield's place was taken by Mr. John Hall, who has been ever since identified with the history of Canterbury, and from 1879 to 1882 was Premier of the colony. In 1858 Mr. John Ollivier, one of the best remembered of all the early provincial public men, was returned for Christchurch country district. From 1861 to 1865 Christchurch returned Sir Cracroft Wilson, whose distinguished career in India was a novel prelude to his long and varied colonial experiences. The country district electorate was subdivided, and Mr. W. S. Moorhouse, Superintendent of the province, and founder of the Canterbury public works system, appears in 1862 as member for Heathcote. In 1866 the city member was Mr. J. E. Fitzgerald, the first Superintendent of the province, whose splendid public services are recounted elsewhere in these pages. From 1866 to 1872 Mr. J. Hall represented Heathcote. In 1867 Mr. W. Reeves, inseparably connected in Canterbury with the “Lyttelton Times,” sat for Avon, but in 1868 was superseded by Mr. Rolleston, who, as Superintendent of the province, and later as Minister of Lands for the whole colony, rendered invaluable service to the cause of colonisation. Mr. Rolleston retained his Avon seat till the abolition of the provinces in 1876. In 1870 Mr. W. S. Moorhouse sat for the first time for Christchurch, unseating Mr. W. T. L. Travers, who had represented the city since 1867. Mr. Travers, as well as Mr. Sewell, Mr. Fitzgerald, and Mr. Wakefield, had held office in the Executive Council in 1854. In 1871 the growth of the city had qualified it for two members. These were Mr. E. J. Wakefield and Mr. E. Richardson, the latter of whom was afterwards Minister of Public Works in nine Ministries, which were in office at different times between October, 1872, and October, 1887. Mr. Richardson retained his seat for Christchurch till 1876, when, as the city was then a triple electorate, Mr. E. C. J. Stevens and Mr. Moorhouse completed the list of members.
Under the new regime the first city members were the old trio re-elected; and they remained unaltered till 1880, when Mr. Moorhouse stood for Ashley, and was replaced by Mr. S. P. Andrews. In 1882 Sir Julius Vogel, many times Premier, became one of the city members; as did Mr. John Holmes. In 1887 Mr. W. B. Perceval, who was afterwards knighted, and became AgentGeneral for New Zealand and for Tasmania, replaced Mr. Holmes. In 1891 Mr. W. P. Reeves was elected one of the city members, and afterwards became Minister of Labour in the Ballance and Seddon Ministries, and Sir Westby Perceval's successor in the Agent-Generalship. Latterly Christchurch has had, in Messrs G. J. Smith, T. E. Taylor, C. Lewis, and H. G. Ell, active and conscientious guardians of the great interests committed to their charge.
Mr. Henry Sewell represented Christchurch in the first Parliament, called together in 1854 at Auckland, and was a member with out portfolio of the Executive Council, from the 14th of June till the 2nd of August, 1854. He was Colonial Secretary in 1856 and also held office in six succeeding Ministries down to 1872. Mr. Sewell was born in the Isle of Wight, and practised as a solicitor in England prior to leaving for New Zealand, where he arrived in 1853. He was associated with Mr. Edward Gibbon Wakefield, and was an active promoter of the Canterbury Association; and when this was wound up he was instrumental in securing valuable religious and educational endowments for Canterbury. Mr. Sewell practised his profession for some time in the colony, and was regarded as an able debater, a good constitutional lawyer, and a man of cultured literary tastes. The later years of his life were spent in England, where he died in 1879.
Mr. James Frederick Stuart-Wortley occupied a seat in the House of Representatives in 1854. He arrived in the colony in 1851, was a man of means, and an accomplished gentleman. Mr. Stuart-Wortley resided only a few years in New Zealand, and then returned to England, where he became well known as a member of the House of Commons. The politico-social gatherings of his wife were so noted that Lord Beaconsfield laid the opening scene of his novel Endymion in her drawing-room.
Mr. Edward Jerningham Wakefield, the only son of Mr. Edward Gibbon Wakefield, came to New Zealand with his uncle, Colonel William Wakefield, then principal agent of the New Zealand Company. After returning to England in 1844, he went to Dublin to confer with Dr. Samuel Hinds on the subject of the proposed Church of England in New Zealand. He also visited Glasgow and Edinburgh for the purpose of consulting Captain Cargill and others interested in the project of the Otago settlement. Mr. Wakefield sat in the first Parliament of New Zealand, in 1854, when he represented Christchurch Country, and again, from 1871 to 1875, during which he sat for Christchurch East. He wrote an interesting book, entitled “Adventures in New Zealand,” which was illustrated by colonial artists, and published in 1848. Mr. Wakefield died at Ashburton in the latter part of 1878, or early in 1879. His history, if fully written, would be found to be spiced with romance and streaked with tragedy.
Mr. Dingley Askham Brittin, who occupied a seat in the House of Representatives in 1855 and 1856, was born in Huntingdonshire, England, in 1823. By profession he was a solicitor, but he did not practise in New Zealand. Mr. Brittin came to New Zealand in the ship “Minerva,” which arrived in 1853, and during his brief stay in the colony he interested himself greatly in the politics of the day. In 1856 he returned to England on urgent business, and remained there.
Sir John Hall, K.C.M.G., occupied a seat in the House of Representatives for many years; was a member of several Ministries, and was at one time Premier. He was a member of the Legislative Council for some years, and is referred to in that connection elsewhere in this volume; and particulars of his life are given also at pages 63 and 64 of the Wellington volume of the Cyclopedia.
Mr. John Ollivier was a Member of the House of Representatives in 1858–1859, but he will be better remembered in his connection with the Canterbury Provincial Council, and as one of Canterbury's spirited public men. He was born in 1812, and for about twenty years carried on the business of a publisher in London. On arriving in the colony in 1853 he selected Canterbury as his home. During the many sessions he sat as a member of the Canterbury Provincial Council, he occupied various offices, and was Provincial Secretary in Mr. Moorhouse's Executive. Whilst holding this position he proposed the construction of the Christchurch and Lyttelton railway, and carried through the Council the proposal to connect the Port and the Plains by means of the tunnel. Mr. Ollivier was afterwards chosen Speaker of the Provincial Council, and on his retirement from that position was appointed Provincial Auditor. Subsequently he held a similar office under the General Government, and he was also a magistrate for several years. Mr. Ollivier died on the 31st of July, 1893, at Christchurch.
Mr. Richard Packer represented Christchurch in the House of Representatives in 1858–1859. In the early days he was a member of the Canterbury Provincial Council, and was for a time Provincial Treasurer. Mr. Packer owned a brewery at the back of the site where the D.I.C. buildings now stand. He died in Christchurch in 1872.
Mr. Charles Hunter Brown sat as member for Christchurch in the House of Representatives in 1860. He at one time owned considerable property in Christchurch, including the site of the present Inglis' Buildings. Subsequently he went to Nelson and acquired a large sheep run, known as the Long Look-out station.
Mr. Isaac Thomas Cookson was a member for Christchurch in 1860. He was returned for Kaiapoi in 1861, and represented that district until the following year. Mr. Cookson was one of the pioneers of Canterbury, and was the senior partner in the firm of Cookson, Bowler, and Co., merchants, who established themselves in Lyttelton in the early days. The firm subsequently transferred its headquarters to Christchurch, and conducted operations for many years on the site where Inglis' Buildings now stand. Mr. Cookson died in England, over twenty years ago.
Mr. Alfred Richard Creyke arrived in Canterbury in 1851. In 1861 he represented the Avon electorate in the House of Representatives. Mr. Creyke was one of the first members of the Canterbury Jockey Club. He was a well-known, genial man, and was highly esteemed. Mr. Creyke married the widow of the late Hon. J. C. Watts Russell. The western porch or entrance to the Christchurch Cathedral was built by his wife in 1894, in memory of Mr. Creyke, who died in the preceding year.
Mr. George Williamson Hall was a member of the General Assembly in 1861, when he represented Heathcote. He was a brother of Sir John Hall, and was a wellknown land-owner and sheep farmer. Mr. Hall died in 1896.
Sir John Cracroft Wilson. C.B., K.C.S.I. , who represented Christchurch in the House of Representatives during 1861–65, and the constituencies of Coleridge during 1866–70, and Heathcote in 1872–75, was born in 1808, at Onamore, Madras Presideney. Having received his education in England he returned to India in 1828, and was appointed to the India Civil Service, subsequently becoming Assistant Commissioner to Sir William Sleeman, and afterwards a magistrate at Cawnpore, where he continued for a considerable time. From 1841 to 1853, Mr. Wilson was magistrate and collector at Moradabad. Owing to failing health, he was ordered to leave India for a time, and came to New Zealand, where he became a Canterbury settler, and acquired a property at the Port Hills, near Christchurch, which he named “Cashmere.” On his leave of absence expiring in May, 1855, he returned to Calcutta, and resumed his position as judge of Moradabad. During the trying period of the Indian Mutiny his conduct was distinguished by “indomitable courage, devotion to duty, and fertility of resource,” and he was recommended by Lord Canning to the favourable consideration of Her Majesty's Government as having “saved more Christian lives than any man in India.” For these services he was created Companion of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath in 1860, and twelve years afterwards, in further recognition of his great services, he became a Knight Commander of the Star of India. Sir Cracroft also received the Indian Mutiny medal in common with many other members of the Civil Service. Returning to New Zealand after the suppression of the Mutiny, Sir Cracroft devoted himself earnestly to work, both public and private, and was for several years a member of the Provincial Council of Canterbury. Sir Crarroft Wilson was a descendant of a very old family, whose genealogical tree goes back to the time of Henry III., to one Walter Cracroft. He was married twice; firstly, in 1828, to Miss Elizabeth Wall, who died in 1843, leaving a family of whom two sons and two daughters still survive; and secondly, in 1844, to June Torrie, daughter of Mr. James Greig. Sir Cracroft died at his residence, “Cashmere,” on the 2nd of March, 1881.
Sir Cracroft Wilson.
Mr. William Sefton Moorhouse represented Akaroa in the House of Representatives in 1854–1855, and again from 1858 to 1860; he also represented Heathcote in 1862; Westland in 1866–1877; Christchurch City in 1870, and again from 1876 to 1879; Ashley from 1879 to 1881. Mr. Moorhouse is best remembered as the champion of the Lyttelton tunnel and as Superintendent of Canterbury, and he is referred to in another article in both these relations.
Mr. William Thomson occupied a seat in the House of Representatives, as member for Avon, from 1862 to 1865. He was also a member of the Canterbury Provincial Council, and subsequently became Provincial Auditor, which he continued to be to the date of his death. Mr. Thomson was born in Edinburgh on the 26th of March, 1818, and was the son of an old Scottish printer. He was educated at the Edinburgh Southern Academy, where he won the medal for arithmetic. After gaining an experience in commercial life, as an accountant in Glasgow, he left for New Zealand in the ship “Hampshire,” which arrived at Lyttelton in May, 1853. During the same year he purchased a property from Mr. A. A. Dobbs, at Governor's Bay, where he engaged in dairy farming and in supplying Lyttelton with firewood. These pursuits not proving sufficiently lucrative, he disposed of his property to Mr. William Sefton Moorhouse, and removed to Papanui. Mr. Thomson then commenced business in Christchurch as an auctioneer and accountant, and erected the first auction mart in the city, on the site where Inglis' Buildings now stand. Subsequently he retired from this business, and became associated with Mr. Willis in the proprietorship of the Canterbury Standard” newspaper. He also took up, and was part owner of, the Lochinvar station, on the river Esk, which he stocked with cattle. Mr. Thomson took a very active part in forming the Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association, in which he always evinced a lively interest. He was also a member of the Canterbury Jockey Club, and one of the promoters of the old stone grand stand. Having been a member of the Glasgow Yeomanry Cavalry, he naturally was much interested in the formation of the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry, and was one of the first captains of that corps. Mr. Thomson married Miss Scott, only daughter of a page 94 Glasgow merchant, and had a family on four sons and four daughters. He died at Papanui, on the 26th of April, 1866.
Mr. Alfred Cox, J.P., who was a Memof the House of Representatives for Heathcote during 1863–65, and for Timaru during 1866–68, was born in New South Wales in 1825. He is a son of Mr. William Cox, an officer of the 102nd Regt., which landed at Botany Bay about 1788. Mr. Cox, senr., left the service and became a settler in New South Wales, and was a prominent man to the time of his death in 1837. The subject of this notice visited England in 1844, and again in 1855. He secured two grazing runs at Timaru in 1854, and settled in that district three years later, and resided there till 1882, with the exception of some seven or eight years in the Walkato, Auckland, where he was interested in a very large block of swamp land and on which he expended large sums of money in drainage. Mr. Cox came to Christchurch in 1882 and has since resided at St. Albans. He unsuccessfully contested the Geraldine seat in 1884. Mr. Cox has published a volume of 272 pages entitled “Recollections,” which contains a great deal of interesting Information as to his career in England, Australia, and New Zealand, together with references to many of the public men of the Colony. He also edited “Men of Mark of New Zealand,” a work which was published some years later in Christchurch. Mr. Cox was married in November, 1849, to a daughter of the late Lieut.-Col. Macpherson, 99th Regt. of Foot, and has two sons and nine daughters.
Mr. A. Cox.
Mr. James Edward Fitzgerald, C.M.G., occupied a seat in the first Parliament, where he represented Lyttelton from 1854 to 1858. Subsequently he represented Ellesmere from 1862 to 1865, and sat as member for Christchurch in 1866. He is referred to in another article as the first Superintendent of Canterbury, and his career is fully described on page 119 of the Wellington volume of this Cyclopedia.
Mr. Crosbie Ward represented Lyttelton in the House of Representatives from 1858 to 1865, and the Avon electorate in 1866. He was Postmaster-General and Secretary for Crown Land in the second Fox Ministry, and Postmaster-General in Mr. Alfred Domett's Government. Mr. Ward was a pioneer of Canterbury, where he arrived in 1852, and was a member of the Canterbury Provincial Council. The establishment of the first mail service between England and the colony was mainly due to Mr Ward's exertions. His life is more fully described on page 69 of the Wellington volume of this Cyclopedia.
Mr. William Thomas Locke Travels, F.L.S., sat in the House of Representatives for Christchurch City from 1867 to 1870. He also represented Nelson in the first Parliament in 1854, the district of Waimea from 1854 to 1858, and sat as a member for Wellington City in 1877. Born in County Limerick, Ireland, in 1819, he was educated in France, and afterwards entered the British Legion of Spain, and served through the Carlist war from 1835 to 1838. Mr. Travers, after studying and practising law in England, came to New Zealand in 1849. He was a member of the Executive of the Canterbury Provincial Council during Mr. Bealey's Superintendency. Mr. Travers is further referred to on pages 263–264 of the Wellington volume of this work.
The Hon. William Reeves was a member of the House of Representatives for the Avon electorate in 1867, and he represented Selwyn from 1871 to 1875. Subsequently he was called to the Legislative Council, and is referred to in another article as an ex-member of that branch of the Legislature.
The Hon. William Rolleston Is a well-known New Zealand statesman; he has been a Cabinet Minister, leader of the Opposition; and was the last Superintendent of the Province of Canterbury, and in each capacity he has done his country good service. He represented the Avon electorate from 1868 to 1883, the Geraldine district from 1884 to 1887, Halswell from 1891 to 1893, and Riccarton from 1896 to 1899. At the general elections of 1899 he was defeated, by a very narrow majority, by Mr. G. W. Russell, the present member. Mr. Rolleston is referred to more fully as one of the Superintendents of Canterbury.
The Hon. Edward Richardson, C.M.G., M.L.C. , was Master of Public Works during the administration of the Waterhouse, Fox, Vogel, Pollen, Atkinson, and Stout-Vogel Governments. He sat as member for Christchurch City from 1871 to 1875, and from 1876 to 1881, and he represented Kaiapoi from 1884 to 1890. Mr. Richardson was a member of the Canterbury Provincial Council from 1870 until the abolition of the provinces. In partnership with Mr. George Holmes he constructed the Lyttelton tunnel, and the Christchurch and Lyttelton railway. A sketch of his career is given on page 73 of the Wellington volume of this work.
Mr. James Temple Fisher, who represented Heathcote in the House of Representatives, from 1876 to 1881, is a colonist of old standing, having arrived in Lyttelton in 1850 by one of the first four ships. Mr. Fisher was born in Kent, England, in 1828, and, after receiving his education in a private school in that country, he entered the Royal Navy, which he left three years later to come to New Zealand. Shortly after reaching Christchurch he took up a considerable area of fertile land in the district now known as Heathcote, and commenced farming, which he followed with success, and still (1902) retains part of his original estate. During his long career in this colony Mr. Fisher has taken a great interest in public affairs, and besides having been a representative in Parliament for some years, he was a member of the Canterbury Provincial Council, and of several local bodies. He was Postmaster-General and Commissioner of Telegraphs in Sir George Grey's Ministry, from October, 1877, till October, 1879.
The Hon. Edward Cephas John Stevens, M.L.C., was a Member of the House of Representatives, representing the Selwyn electorate, from 1866 to 1870, and he sat as member for Christchurch City from 1876 to 1881. He was also a member of the Canterbury Executive during Mr Bealey's Superintendency. Mr. Stevens is referred to in another article as a member of the Legislative Council.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. S. P. Andrews.
Sir George Grey, K.C.B., D.C.L. , occupied the chief place amongst the illustrious men who have made the colony's history. As a soldier, explorer, scholar, linguist, governor, and politician, he achieved a reputation which has made his name memorable, and his munificence was shown when he presented the citizens of Auckland with a library valued at £30,000. As a member of the House of Representatives he was associated chiefly with Auckland, but in 1879 he was returned as a member for Christchurch City, for which, however, he was unseated on a technical point. A sketch of his interesting life is given in the Wellington volume of this work, and he is also referred to in the Auckland volume as the last Superintendent of Auckland. Sir George Grey died in London on the 20th of September, 1838.
Mr. John Evans Brown was a Member of the House of Representatives for the Ashley district from 1871 to 1879, and he sat as member for St. Albans from 1882 to 1884. He was also a member of the Canterbury Provincial Council during the Superintendency of Mr. Rolleston. Mr. Brown was a native of Lewiston, Pennsylvania, where he was born on the 16th of February, 1827. He crossed the Continent in 1849, going to California, where he engaged in surveying. After a few years he removed to Now South Wales, and there carried on a sheep and cattle business on an extensive scale. He was also United States consul in New South Wales for several years. In 1864 Mr. Brown came to New Zealand. Twenty years later he returned to America, where he died on the 9th of July, 1895. Mr. Brown was twice married; his first wife, to whom he was married in 1857 in New South Wales, was a sister of the Hon. J. T. Peacock and Mrs H. R. Webb of Christchurch. His second marriage was contracted with Mrs Martin, of Wellington, in 1883.
Mr. John Holmes represented Christchurch in the House of Representatives from 1882 to 1887. He is a barrister and solicitor and practised in Christchurch with Mr. A. Loughrey, under the style of Holmes and Loughrey, for ten years. Mr. Holmes owns the Viewmount estate, near Methvon, where he still (1902) lives in retirement.
Mr. Walter Hippolyte Pilliet, who occupied a seat in the House of Representatives as Member for Stanmore, from 1882 to 1884, was for some years Resident Magistrate at Akaroa. He afterwards lived in Christchurch, where he was engaged in journalism. Mr. Pilliet married Miss Agnes Hay, of Pigeon Bay. He died in Wellington during the session of 1884.
Mr. Henry Thomson, J.P., who was a Member of the House of Representatives for Christchurch North during 1882–1884, was born in Dumfrieshire, Scotland, in 1828, and was educated at Wigton, Galloway. He entered the service of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway in 1846, and six years later came out to Victoria, where he was clerk-in-charge of the office of the Melbourne and Hobson's Bay railway during its construction. He was afterwards superintendent of the wharf and railway station at Sandridge. In 1856, Mr. Thomson came to Wellington, and a year later removed to Nelson. Two years after this he had a short experience on the Otago goldfields, and in 1865 settled in Christchurch, where he was employed by Messrs. Coates and Co., jewellers, and afterwards became a partner in the firm. On the death of Mr. Giles Coates he became the sole proprietor until 1891, when he retired from business. In 1868, Mr. Thomson was manager of the Canterbury section of the New Zealand railways. which then extended from Lyttelton to Selwyn. He was returned to the House of Representatives as a supporter of the Atkinson Government in November, 1881. Mr. Thomson was for several years a member of the Christchurch City Council, and filled the office of mayor for one year. For over eight years he was chairman of the old Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, retiring from the position on the inauguration of the present system. As a member of the Masonic Order, he is attached to Lodge St. Augustine, of which he has been it member since 1865, and has held the highest offices in connection with the order, having been elected the first Grand Master under the New Zealand Constitution. Mr. Thomson was married in 1859 to a daughter of the late Mr. Giles Coates.
Mr. William White, Junr. , who was member for Sydenham in the House of Representatives, was elected in 1881, remaining a member until 1886, during which period he contested two elections and was returned by very considerable majorities; the third time he was returned unopposed. He was born in Macclesfield, England, in 1848, and came to New Zealand with his parents in the ship “William Hyde,” landing in Lyttelton in the year 1851, and received his education at the public schools. Mr. White commenced the business of life by entering the office of the Christchurch Gas Company, where he remained for several years. He then entered into contracts for the construction of the Southbridge and Pleasant Point branch railways, which he carried out very satisfactorily. He then entered into business with his father as timber and coal merchants, under the style of Wm. White and Co., with branches at Christchurch, Leeston, Southbridge, and Little River, and became sole proprietor of the business on the retirement of his father in the year 1885. From his earliest years Mr. White took great interest in both general and local politics; he was elected a member of the Sydenham Borough Council in September, 1878, and continued a member until 1892; was mayor of that borough during the years 1883–4–5, and was largely instrumental in obtaining the loan which was so satisfactorily raised and expended in the improvement of Sydenham. He was also a member of the Lyttelton Harbour Board from 1883 to 1893, was chairman of that board in the year 1890 (the year of the great strike), and although his term of office was during a time of great anxiety and difficulty, Mr. White carried out the duties of the position very successfully. He was also a member of the Charitable Aid and Hospital Boards from 1883 to 1889, was chairman of the Hospital Board for three years, from 1886 to 1889, and was also a member of the Christchurch Drainage Board, Board of Health, and Waimakariri River Board for many years. His retirement from the House and the many public positions held by him was caused by the serious breakdown of his health. He was a member of the Christchurch Yeomanry Cavalry in the early days of that corps, having been its lieutenant for a time. Mr. White always took considerable interest in the recreations of the people, and gave substantial assistance to various athletic institutions. He page 96 was married on the 17th of September, 1884, to a daughter of Mr. John Patton, of Christchurch. Mr. White died at his residence, New Brighton, in the year 1900, and left a widow, one son and five daughters.
Mr. W. White, Junr.
Mr. William Henry Wynn Williams, who was Member of the House of Representatives for Heathcote in the years 1882–4, is a son of the late Rev. P. L. Williams, Vicar of Liansannan, Denbigh, North Wales, where the subject of this notice was born in August, 1828. He was educated with a view first to the Indian Army and subsequently for the law, and was admitted a solicitor in England in the Hilary term in 1853. Two years later he landed in Wellington, worked on sheep stations in various parts of the Colony, but settled in Christchurch in 1860 and commenced the practice of his profession. Mr. Williams was a member of the Provincial Council of Canterbury for many sessions, and at one time filled the office of Provincial Solicitor. He is a brother of the late Sir Watkins Williams, formerly one of Her Majesty's Judges of the Supreme Court of Judicature.
Mr. John Lewis Coster represented Heathcote in the House of Representatives from 1884 to 1886. For many years he held the responsible position of manager of the Bank of New Zealand in Christchurch, and was highly esteemed in business circles and in private life. Mr. Coster took an active interest in the New Zealand Shipping Company, which he was instrumental in founding.
Mr. F. J. Garrick, who formerly represented Christchurch City in the House of Representatives, was born in Sydney in 1833. He was educated at Sydney College, and was brought up to the legal profession, was admitted to the Bar, and afterwards became a member of the firm of Messrs. Rowley, Holdsworth and Garrick. In 1863 Mr. W. P. Cowllshaw, who had been a pupil of Mr. Garrick, came to Canterbury and was joined in the following year by that gentleman in establishing the firm of Garrick and Cowlishaw. They acquired the business of Mr. Harston, and the firm was conducted under the above style till 1883, when Mr. J. Blekerton Fisher was admitted a partner, since which time the firm has been known as Garrick, Cowlishaw and Fisher. Mr. Garrick was long an active member of the Wesleyan Church, with which he was connected in Sydney, and during his residence in Christchurch took a warm interest in that body. Generally, Mr. Garrick was a liberal contributor to local charities. For a long time he declined to offer himself as a candidate for Parliament; eventually, however, his scruples were removed, and he was returned in 1884 for St. Albans. Mr. Garrick was a most useful member and his speeches in the House were well received. Mr. Garrick took a high position as a sound lawyer, and was one of the leading members of the Bar in Canterbury, many very important cases being entrusted to him. Mr. Garrick was a member of the Provincial Council, and represented Christchurch for a number of years. Subsequently he became provincial solicitor. At his death on the 7th of June, 1890, he left a widow, five sons, and two daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. F. J. Garrick.
Mr. Leonard Harper was a Member of the House of Representatives for Cheviot in 1876–1877, and he represented the Avon electorate from 1884 to 1887. Mr. Harper, who is a son of the late Bishop Harper, was admitted to the bar, and practised his profession for many years in Christchurch. He now resides in Jersey, Channel Islands.
Mr. Daniel Reese was elected to the House of Representatives in 1884, and sat as a Member for Christchurch for three years. He was one of the leading builders in Christchurch, and was a popular and highly esteemed citizen. Many notable buildings were erected by him, such as the Normal School, the Belfast Freezing Works, Morten's Block, Lincoln College, the Christchurch Post Office and part of the Sunnyside Asylum. Mr Reese died in October, 1891.
Sir Julius Vogel, K.C.M.G., was a Member for Christchurch in the House of Representatives from 1884 to 1888. He first entered the House in 1863, and six years later he began his career as a Colonial Minister when he accepted the portfolio of Colonial Treasurer in the Fox Government; he also filled the offices of Commissioner of Stamps and Telegraphs, Postmaster-General, and Commissioner of Customs in this Ministry. In 1873 he assumed the Premiership in addition to his other offices. In the Stout-Vogel Administration he held the office of Colonial Treasurer and other portfolios. Sir Julius Vogel was a brilliant journalist, a clever financier, and as a statesman was a public nonefactor to the colony. His biography is given at length in the Wellington volume of this Cyclopedia. He died in London on the 12th of March, 1899.
Mr. Richard Molesworth Taylor, J.P., ex-Member of the House of Representatives for Christchurch City, hails from London, where he was born in 1835. He arrived in Auckland by the brig “Heather Bell,” in 1846, and received his education in the Colony. He went to Victoria in 1851, and had some six years' experience on the diggings of that Colony and New South Wales. Returning to Auckland in 1857, he served in the Militia for a short time, during the Maori War, and subsequently became a Government contractor for several years. In 1869 he settled in Canterbury, and was engaged as a general contractor till the year 1886. Mr. Taylor was elected a member of the Sydenham Borough Council in 1884, and also a member of the Christchurch Drainage Board. Subsequently he gained a seat on the Waimakariri River Board. At a by election in May, 1886, Mr. Taylor was returned to the House of Representatives for Sydenham, and re-elected at the General Election in the following year. In 1890 he was returned as one of the members for Christchurch City, but suffered defeat at the General Elections of 1893 and 1896. For a short time during his parliamentary history, he retired from the membership of the Christchurch Drainage Board, but was subsequently re-elected to a seat on that body. Mr. Taylor was married in 1887 to a daughter of Mr. S. F. Gray, of London.
Mr. Edwin Blake, who sat in the House of Representatives for the Avon constituency during 1887–93, was born in 1830 in Hampstead, England, and educated in Winbourn, Dorset. He was brought up as a civil engineer, and was afterwards employed on British railways for some years. Mr. Blake arrived in Port Chalmers in 1861. Two years later he settled in Canterbury, and was employed on the West Coast Road, then being constructed by the Provincial Government. After the completion of the section from Arthur's Pass to Hokitika, Mr. Blake settled in Westland for some years. Returning to Canterbury in 1882, he became engaged in sheepfarming and agriculture. Mr. Blake was at one time a member of the Avon Road Board, and held office as chairman for six or seven years.
Mr. Frederick Jones represented the Heathcote electorate in the House of Representatives from 1887 to 1890. He was formerly accountant to Mr. F. Jenkins, builder, and subsequently held a similar position in Manning's brewery.
Mr. Andrew Loughrey, LL.M. , who was a Member of the House of Representatives for Linwood in 1887–90, was born in Melbourne, and educated for the Bar. Mr. Loughrey gained his degree at the Melbourne University College, and became a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria. For some time he held the position of inspector of schools under the Victorian Education Department. Coming to Christchurch in 1880, he entered into partnership page 97 with Mr. John Holmes, who was subsequently a member of the House of Representatives, under the style of Holmes and Loughrey, which was superseded in 1890 by the style of Loughrey and Lane. At the time of the Russian scare, Mr. Loughrey promoted the formation of the Canterbury Irish Rifles, of which corps he was captain until its disbandment. He was returned to the House of Representatives as a supporter of the Stout-Vogel Government.
Sir Westby Brook Perceval, K.C.M.G., K.G.S. , formerly Agent-General for New Zealand in London, was born in Tasmania in 1854. Educated at Christ's College, Christchurch, and at Stonyhurst, England, he subsequently matriculated at the London University. He was called to the English bar in 1878, and on returning to the colony commenced the practice of his profession in Christchurch. Sir Westby sat as a member for Christchurch City in the House of Representatives from 1887 to 1891, when he resigned to accept the position of Agent-General. He carried out the duties of this office in a very efficient manner, and was knighted by her Majesty the Queen in 1894. Sir Westby is further referred to in the Wellington volume of this work.
The Hon. W. P. Reeves, whose biography is given at pages 43, 44, and 45 of the Wellington volume of this Cyclopedia represented St. Albans from 1887 to 1890, and the City of Christchurch from 1891 to 1895. Mr. Reeves was appointed Agent-General for the colony in London on the 10th of January, 1896, and he still (1902) holds that office.
Mr. Edward Wingfield Humphreys represented Christchurch in the House of Representatives in 1889–1890. He was a well-known squatter, and a good colonist.
Mr. Ebenezer Sandford represented Christchurch City in the House of Representatives in 1892–1893. A Liberal in politics, he was a strong supporter of the Seddon Government. Prior to his election he was a compositor in the “Lyttelton Times” office, Christchurch, and had taken an interest in political matters in connection with the Liberal party for some years. Subsequent to his retirement from politics Mr. Sandford was appointed to the charge of the Public Works Department in Christchurch. He died in December, 1897.
Mr. William Whitehouse Collins, J.P., was elected to the House of Representatives as a Member for Christchurch in December, 1893, but was defeated by a narrow majority at the elections of 1896. Apart from politics, Mr. Collins is well known as a lecturer on social and other subjects. At the general elections of 1889 he was again returned for Christchurch, and is elsewhere referred to as a present member.
Mr. George Warren Russell, J.P. was returned at the general elections of December, 1893, as Member for Riccarton, but was defeated for the same constituency in 1896 by the Hon. W. Rolleston. He again contested the seat with the same gentleman in 1899, when he was returned by a small majority. He is referred to in another article as a present member of the House of Representatives.
Mr. George John Smith was elected a Member of the House of Representatives for Christchurch at the general elections of December, 1893, and was re-elected in 1896 As a member of the Sydenham Prohibition League he became prominently identified with the prohibition movement. At the general elections of 1899 he was defeated, but on the retirement of Mr. Charles Lewis, he was again returned for Christchurch, at the by-election of 1901, and he is referred to elsewhere as a present member for the city.
Mr. Charles Lewis, formerly Senior Member of the House of Representatives for the City of Christchurch, is a son of the late Mr. David Lewis, an early Canterbury settler. He was born in Christchurch in 1857, was educated at Christ's College, and at Clifton and Malvern Colleges in England. Mr. Lewis' father, at his death, left a property of 270 acres at Halswell, where Mr. Lewis resides, and which he farms. In local affairs he has served on the Halswell Road Board for a number of years, and was a member of the committee of the Canterbury Agricultural and Pastoral Association for some time. At the by-election of 1896 caused by the retirement of the Honourable W. P. Reeves, who then became Agent-General, Mr. Lewis was returned to fill the vacant seat. At the general election in the same year he was elected with a majority of about six hundred votes above the next successful candidate. He was re-elected in 1899, but resigned his seat on the 24th of June, 1901. Mr. Lewis is a well-known breeder of Shropshire Down sheep, having imported some firstclass strains; he was an exhibitor at the local shows for four years, and successful in every instance in taking first prizes. He is fond of cricket. Mr. Lewis is married and has three sons and four daughters.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Mr. C. Lewis.
Mr. Thomas Edward Taylor, formerly a Member of the House of Representatives for Christchurch City, was born at Kirton in Lindsey, Lincolnshire, England, in 1862. He arrived in Lyttelton per ship “Cardigan Castle” in 1874, and was educated at public schools. Mr. Taylor was for nearly twenty years in the employment of Messrs. J. M. Heywood and Co., forwarding agents, and for several years prior to leaving the firm occupied the position of manager. In February, 1895, he entered into business on his own account as a commission agent and importer. Mr. Taylor has been for some years a prominent figure in connection with the prohibition movement in Christchurch. He was secretary of the celebrated Prohibition League in Sydenham at the time of the election of the Prohibition Committee, which was subsequently removed from office by order of the Supreme Court. Mr. Taylor came forward as a candidate for the city at the by-election in February, 1896, on which occasion he was defeated. At the general election in December of the same year he was returned as junior member for Christchurch. The Police Commission which was appointed in the session of 1897 was largely the result of Mr. Taylor's action in the House. His views are of the radical type, and he is a firm believer in State control of all means of production and distribution, which would then be practically in the hands of the people. Mr. Taylor was married in 1892 to a daughter of Mr. R. B. Ellison, of Christchurch, and has four daughters.