The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Mr. F. J. Garrick
Mr. F. J. Garrick, who formerly represented Christchurch City in the House of Representatives, was born in Sydney in 1833. He was educated at Sydney College, and was brought up to the legal profession, was admitted to the Bar, and afterwards became a member of the firm of Messrs. Rowley, Holdsworth and Garrick. In 1863 Mr. W. P. Cowllshaw, who had been a pupil of Mr. Garrick, came to Canterbury and was joined in the following year by that gentleman in establishing the firm of Garrick and Cowlishaw. They acquired the business of Mr. Harston, and the firm was conducted under the above style till 1883, when Mr. J. Blekerton Fisher was admitted a partner, since which time the firm has been known as Garrick, Cowlishaw and Fisher. Mr. Garrick was long an active member of the Wesleyan Church, with which he was connected in Sydney, and during his residence in Christchurch took a warm interest in that body. Generally, Mr. Garrick was a liberal contributor to local charities. For a long time he declined to offer himself as a candidate for Parliament; eventually, however, his scruples were removed, and he was returned in 1884 for St. Albans. Mr. Garrick was a most useful member and his speeches in the House were well received. Mr. Garrick took a high position as a sound lawyer, and was one of the leading members of the Bar in Canterbury, many very important cases being entrusted to him. Mr. Garrick was a member of the Provincial Council, and represented Christchurch for a number of years. Subsequently he became provincial solicitor. At his death on the 7th of June, 1890, he left a widow, five sons, and two daughters.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. F. J. Garrick.