The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Mr. William White, Junr
Mr. William White, Junr. , who was member for Sydenham in the House of Representatives, was elected in 1881, remaining a member until 1886, during which period he contested two elections and was returned by very considerable majorities; the third time he was returned unopposed. He was born in Macclesfield, England, in 1848, and came to New Zealand with his parents in the ship “William Hyde,” landing in Lyttelton in the year 1851, and received his education at the public schools. Mr. White commenced the business of life by entering the office of the Christchurch Gas Company, where he remained for several years. He then entered into contracts for the construction of the Southbridge and Pleasant Point branch railways, which he carried out very satisfactorily. He then entered into business with his father as timber and coal merchants, under the style of Wm. White and Co., with branches at Christchurch, Leeston, Southbridge, and Little River, and became sole proprietor of the business on the retirement of his father in the year 1885. From his earliest years Mr. White took great interest in both general and local politics; he was elected a member of the Sydenham Borough Council in September, 1878, and continued a member until 1892; was mayor of that borough during the years 1883–4–5, and was largely instrumental in obtaining the loan which was so satisfactorily raised and expended in the improvement of Sydenham. He was also a member of the Lyttelton Harbour Board from 1883 to 1893, was chairman of that board in the year 1890 (the year of the great strike), and although his term of office was during a time of great anxiety and difficulty, Mr. White carried out the duties of the position very successfully. He was also a member of the Charitable Aid and Hospital Boards from 1883 to 1889, was chairman of the Hospital Board for three years, from 1886 to 1889, and was also a member of the Christchurch Drainage Board, Board of Health, and Waimakariri River Board for many years. His retirement from the House and the many public positions held by him was caused by the serious breakdown of his health. He was a member of the Christchurch Yeomanry Cavalry in the early days of that corps, having been its lieutenant for a time. Mr. White always took considerable interest in the recreations of the people, and gave substantial assistance to various athletic institutions. He page 96 was married on the 17th of September, 1884, to a daughter of Mr. John Patton, of Christchurch. Mr. White died at his residence, New Brighton, in the year 1900, and left a widow, one son and five daughters.
Mr. W. White, Junr.