The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
The Hon. Edward Richardson, C.M.G., M.L.C
The Hon. Edward Richardson, C.M.G., M.L.C. , was Master of Public Works during the administration of the Waterhouse, Fox, Vogel, Pollen, Atkinson, and Stout-Vogel Governments. He sat as member for Christchurch City from 1871 to 1875, and from 1876 to 1881, and he represented Kaiapoi from 1884 to 1890. Mr. Richardson was a member of the Canterbury Provincial Council from 1870 until the abolition of the provinces. In partnership with Mr. George Holmes he constructed the Lyttelton tunnel, and the Christchurch and Lyttelton railway. A sketch of his career is given on page 73 of the Wellington volume of this work.