The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Mr. William Derisley Wood
Mr. William Derisley Wood, an old colonist of Christchurch, arrived at Lyttelton in the ship “Randolph” in 1850, one of the “first four” historic ships. After spending a few years in this Colony he made a trip to England, and on his return brought out a windmill, which was erected and started in 1856, and which formed the foundation of the present extensive milling business now carried on by Messrs. Wood Bros., of this city, and of which Mr. Wood is chairman of directors. Mr. Wood has been engaged in other successful mercantile enterprises during his long residence here, and has given some time to pastoral pursuits. He has been a member of the Christchurch City Council and other public institutions. The accompanying portrait represents him in the 74th year of his age.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. W. D. Wood.