The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Mr. George Henry Blackwell
Mr. George Henry Blackwell, J.P., Managing Director of the Kaiapoi Woollen Mills, was born at Leamington, Warwickshire, England, in the year 1840, and received a liberal education in that town. During the Russian war, he joined the navy, being desirous of accompanying Sir Charles Napier to the Baltic, and was present at the great naval demonstration at Spithead, prior to the sailing of the Baltic fleet. He afterwards served four years on the North American and West Indian stations. In 1861, he purchased his discharge from the navy, leaving England in the following year for New Zoaland per ship “Huntress,” and page 329 he at once settled down at Kaiapoi. Subsequently he started as a general storekeeper, and succeeded in establishing the principal business of the town. He has filled most of the public offices of the town, serving eight years as councillor, three years as mayor, eighteen years as superintendent of the fire brigade, and is the senior Justice of the Peace in the borough. At all times, he has taken a prominent part in athletic matters, being president or chairman of most of the local institutions. Mr. Blackwell has occupied every position available to laymen in connection with the Wesleyan church and has been a consistent supporter of temperance work. He is president of the Musical Society, and for many years was choirmaster of the Wesleyan church. Mr. Blackwell was one of the original directors of the present Kaiapoi Woollen Manufacturing Company, and for fully twenty years has occupied the position of managing director. He was married in 1868, and has eight children.
Standish and Preece, photo
Mr. G. H. Blackwell.