The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Godfrey, H. C., and Co
Godfrey, H. C., and Co. (Henry Charles Godfrey), General Merchants, 166 Hereford Street, Christchurch. Bankers, Union Bank of Australia. Telephone 908. Private residence, River Road, Richmond. This business was established by the present proprietor in October, 1894. The firm is an importer of general merchandise, and its business extends throughout Canterbury, two travellers being actively employed. The premises occupied comprise part of the ground, and part of the first floors, of a two-storey wood and iron building. Mr. Godfrey is the son of the late Mr. Henry Godfrey, of Marlborough, and was intimately associated with the early history of the Colony, and who arrived in the early forties by the ship “Will Watch.” Mr. H. C. Godfrey was born in Marlborough in 1854, educated locally and at Nelson, and brought up to a mercantile career. For eight years he was employed by Messrs. N. Edwards and Co. In 1881, he entered the service of Messrs. Sclanders and Co., and was in charge of the grocery department of their business till 1891, when the firm retired from Christchurch and since that time Mr. Godfrey has continued that department on his own account. He page 327 was married in 1880 to a daughter of Mr. W. C. Hodgson, inspector of schools in Nel son, and has four sons and one daughter.