The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
The Christchurch Meat Company, Limited
The Christchurch Meat Company, Limited, (Gilbert Anderson, Managing Director), Christchurch. This company was formed in 1889 by a number of Christchurch business men, who had come to the conclusion that there was scope for carrying on the frozen meat trade on lines different from those which guided the operations of existing companies. It has now a capital of £200,000 in 20,000 shares of £10 each. The company's registered office is at 161 Hereford Street, Christchurch, and it has offices also in Stafford Street, Timaru, High Street, Blenheim, and at 64 West Smithfield, London; its works are at Islington, near Christchurch, Smithfield, near Timaru, and at Picton in the province of Marlborough. Two large shops are maintained by the company in Christchurch; one in Cashel Street, near its intersection by High Street, and the other, at the corner of Gloucester and Co lombo Streets. The company's operations are comprehensively described at page 79 of the general introduction to this volume.